Santa fe at vidor sept 2

lcm93

See Santa Fe started off with a 27-6 over Ft Bend Kempner.  When they look at the Pirates score from last night, they must be licking their lips.  Hope the Pirates can Reboot and start all over this coming Friday.  Everyone has an “off” night.  Let last night be the last this year.

Heads up Pirates.  Saw heads down in the 2nd Qtr.  Way to early to throw in the towel.  That’s the time you bow up and come back.  It’s over.  Use it as a building block.  Be thinking 9-1 regular season.  Git’er done!

On 8/27/2022 at 11:48 AM, Hagar said:

See Santa Fe started off with a 27-6 over Ft Bend Kempner.  When they look at the Pirates score from last night, they must be licking their lips.  Hope the Pirates can Reboot and start all over this coming Friday.  Everyone has an “off” night.  Let last night be the last this year.

Heads up Pirates.  Saw heads down in the 2nd Qtr.  Way to early to throw in the towel.  That’s the time you bow up and come back.  It’s over.  Use it as a building block.  Be thinking 9-1 regular season.  Git’er done!

Let’s Go Pirates!🏴‍☠️

22 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Sante Fe

Vidor has been flat for a number of years now. They don't play with intensity anymore and the offensive play calling went South after they started leaning on that dang reverse pivot quick pitch so much. (Cruederized)

I agree. Our offense has lost what made it special. We are way too predictable. So many plays we don't run anymore. Can't remember the last time the qb stuck the ball in a backs gut, pulled it and ran a bootleg. We used to rack up the yards with that. 

I talked to a former Pirate qb who was there about 5 years ago and he was talking about changing plays at the line based on how the defense was lined up. Now it's break huddle run to the line and snap it as fast as possible.....oh well. SMH 

11 hours ago, VPATH said:

I agree. Our offense has lost what made it special. We are way too predictable. So many plays we don't run anymore. Can't remember the last time the qb stuck the ball in a backs gut, pulled it and ran a bootleg. We used to rack up the yards with that. 

I talked to a former Pirate qb who was there about 5 years ago and he was talking about changing plays at the line based on how the defense was lined up. Now it's break huddle run to the line and snap it as fast as possible.....oh well. SMH 

When Crueder took over the offense we started this current philosophy of how the Slot-T is ran. Every coordinator since then emulated this bad habit. It was a methodical offense under DuBois ,where he used plays to set up other plays and the first half play calling was used to open up things in the second half. They went to to hurry up because Liberty Hill went to it ! Years ago when DuBois/Mathews first Liberty Hill to learn the offense it was different but teams started figuring out how to stop it. People still believe that Vidor is incapable of running another type of offense and that's completely absurd . They tried to throw a little in the SHOT-T days but people scuffed at the idea. The truth is that the naysayers just didn't want their kids to  be there during the transition phase to endure the growing pains. They abandon the idea after one year but where has the Slot-T got us in the many years it has been installed ? If we would have spent that much time on the spread then I think we could of figured it out. Close minded

Vidor doesn't play with passion and desire anymore. Arm tackling is the norm. I don't think they are buying into the coaching philosophy anymore.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

When Crueder took over the offense we started this current philosophy of how the Slot-T is ran. Every coordinator since then emulated this bad habit. It was a methodical offense under DuBois ,where he used plays to set up other plays and the first half play calling was used to open up things in the second half. They went to to hurry up because Liberty Hill went to it ! Years ago when DuBois/Mathews first Liberty Hill to learn the offense it was different but teams started figuring out how to stop it. People still believe that Vidor is incapable of running another type of offense and that's completely absurd . They tried to throw a little in the SHOT-T days but people scuffed at the idea. The truth is that the naysayers just didn't want their kids to  be there during the transition phase to endure the growing pains. They abandon the idea after one year but where has the Slot-T got us in the many years it has been installed ? If we would have spent that much time on the spread then I think we could of figured it out. Close minded

Vidor doesn't play with passion anymore

Bullseye! Agree 100%

7 hours ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Vidor doesn't play with passion and desire anymore. Arm tackling is the norm. I don't think they are buying into the coaching philosophy anymore.

I not saying Vidor can’t run another offense, all I am saying is I don’t believe the results of more wins is going to be much better running another offense imo. 

I do agree the play calling doesn’t seem what it use to be. The play calling use to seem to keep the defense off balance. 

1 minute ago, Unwoke said:

I not saying Vidor can’t run another offense, all I am saying is I don’t believe the results of more wins is going to be much better running another offense imo. 

If the win total won't be much different then what's the harm in trying to teach the kids the actual game of football while peaking their interest in the sport. It would make them excited ! I support them no matter what but we are spinning our wheels

16 minutes ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

If the win total won't be much different then what's the harm in trying to teach the kids the actual game of football while peaking their interest in the sport. It would make them excited ! I support them no matter what but we are spinning our wheels

Of course the win total could get much worse. For that to happen a whole new football culture would have to be put in place from the Junior High on up. I support the kids also regardless of what offense they run. I am sure you’ve heard that old saying “If your not willing to change, you can become extinct.”

Maybe they need to get Dubois back! Lol

26 minutes ago, lcm93 said:

If vidor losses this game its going to be a very long season for the pirates!!

Well….we’re tried and tested when it comes to that….so we’ll be ok. 3 more non - district games before district starts. These growing pains can galvanize them an bring them closer together or it could melt them. They can be the Nail or they can be the Hammer…It’s up to them.  We shall see. It’s still early. 

Lets Go Pirates!

12 hours ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Man I couldn't of said it any better I agree 1000%

5 hours ago, Unwoke said:

Of course the win total could get much worse. For that to happen a whole new football culture would have to be put in place from the Junior High on up. I support the kids also regardless of what offense they run. I am sure you’ve heard that old saying “If your not willing to change, you can become extinct.”

Maybe they need to get Dubois back! Lol

I like DuBois but  I would prefer a new philosophy. That's just me

I get the impression that some think the spread is the answer to everything.  Most teams run the spread and guess what?  There’s still winners & losers.  So last year Vidor & the Slot T won 8 games.  Most, if not all 8 of those teams Vidor beat ran the spread.  If you like the spread because you think it’s exciting, that’s one thing.  If you think Vidor goes to the spread and voila, the Pirates are the equivalent of North Shore, that just isn’t the case.

I too question the play calling, but last Friday here’s what I didn’t see - When the Pirates ran a play I rarely saw a Tiger on the ground.  In years past, the blocking would have several defenders down virtually every play.  I saw way to many missed tackles & broke tackles.  Not so last year.  In my humble opinion, it doesn’t matter if your running the Slot T, the Spread, the “I”, or the Wishbone, if you aren’t blocking and tackling you aren’t going to win football games.

So here’s my humble opinion.  What we saw last Friday had little to do with what type offense, and more to do with mental preparedness and execution.  I certainly hope to see a whole new Pirate team this coming Friday.  I think we have the talent, but somehow, someway, Coach Matthews has to instill the “want to” to win.

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

I get the impression that some think the spread is the answer to everything.  Most teams run the spread and guess what?  There’s still winners & losers.  So last year Vidor & the Slot T won 8 games.  Most, if not all 8 of those teams Vidor beat ran the spread.  If you like the spread because you think it’s exciting, that’s one thing.  If you think Vidor goes to the spread and voila, the Pirates are the equivalent of North Shore, that just isn’t the case.

I too question the play calling, but last Friday here’s what I didn’t see - When the Pirates ran a play I rarely saw a Tiger on the ground.  In years past, the blocking would have several defenders down virtually every play.  I saw way to many missed tackles & broke tackles.  Not so last year.  In my humble opinion, it doesn’t matter if your running the Slot T, the Spread, the “I”, or the Wishbone, if you aren’t blocking and tackling you aren’t going to win football games.

So here’s my humble opinion.  What we saw last Friday had little to do with what type offense, and more to do with mental preparedness and execution.  I certainly hope to see a whole new Pirate team this coming Friday.  I think we have the talent, but somehow, someway, Coach Matthews has to instill the “want to” to win.

Your spot on Hagar. They have to Run Violently, Block Violently and Tackle Violently. 
They have to play with Heart are they will not be successful this season. They have another chance to right the ship this Friday. 

Let’s Go Pirates!

And btw, probably because I’m an old foggie but when the Slot T is ran right, I like the offense.  And IF you could ever get a QB who could run it right and was able to pass accurately, it would be virtually unstoppable.  Unfortunately, finding a kid like that is almost impossible.  Still, last year those kids made it work well.  Hope it starts working again this Friday. 

On 8/30/2022 at 7:55 AM, Hagar said:

I don't think it necessarily has to be one scheme or another but could be a hybrid scheme or maybe slot t with a few wrinkles.  (combining some sets or play action)  .  The main thing would be developing the QB and WRs and not just throw on obvious 2nd or 3rd and long situations.  The biggest issue with this offense is if they get behind the sticks due to penalty or loss of yards and trying to make that up with either sticking to the slot t or making an obvious throw.