Kountze (12) @ Hull-Daisetta (22) FINAL

jdawg03

On 8/28/2022 at 11:16 AM, Godzilla said:

Friend of mine was at the game, he said there were 25 or so suited out. Not 13. 

Lol. Go back and read, we have 13 upper-classman on Varsity, the others were our JV kids. Coach Bird has had to move over the 2 varsity backups players each week, to have enough for a JV scrimmages and a game. 

On 8/28/2022 at 11:34 AM, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Having 13 on the entire roster sounds 6man-ish. I figured it was more than that. 

It’s not accurate. 13 players make up our varsity, Coach bird moved our JV up to the game. 24 total players in our whole school lol, we have a JV and a varsity, barely and maybe not after grades comes out or injuries, God forbid. 

4 minutes ago, JohnRuthDomergue said:

It’s not accurate. 13 players make up our varsity, Coach bird moved our JV up to the game. 24 total players in our whole school lol, we have a JV and a varsity, barely and maybe not after grades comes out or injuries, God forbid. 

And still managed to beat a 3a ?  The 4 horsemen must've played very well.

6 minutes ago, KF89 said:

Why wouldn't it be a good idea to have a permanent 25 player varsity team & no jv? 

The only thing I can think is when you only have 25 total players in the program, you need to get the young kids all the playing time you can get.  There's no way they'll be able to sustain a JV team for more than a few more weeks.  They'll inevitably lose a couple of players to injury and a couple to grades, and there won't be any option.  All remaining 18-20 players will be on varsity.

25 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

The only thing I can think is when you only have 25 total players in the program, you need to get the young kids all the playing time you can get.  There's no way they'll be able to sustain a JV team for more than a few more weeks.  They'll inevitably lose a couple of players to injury and a couple to grades, and there won't be any option.  All remaining 18-20 players will be on varsity.

Every young player would or should get good amount of playing time on varsity even with 25, imo.  

1 minute ago, KF89 said:

Every young player would or should get good amount of playing time on varsity even with 25, imo.  

Just kind of depends.  At that level your studs are going both ways, every snap if possible.  You might have a handful of kids subbing in.   But those 5'5" 130 lb freshmen aren't seeing the field unless there's a catastrophe.  

FYI (and I know the head coach at H-D knows this) but it is against UIL rules for a player to play two football games within a week. You are not allowed to play JV game on Thursday night and then play varsity game on Friday night.

Now if there was no JV game Thursday night, then all players are eligible to play varsity on Friday night.

9 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Just kind of depends.  At that level your studs are going both ways, every snap if possible.  You might have a handful of kids subbing in.   But those 5'5" 130 lb freshmen aren't seeing the field unless there's a catastrophe.  

Will only make the underclass players better for the future getting some game reps, There are plenty of players similar in size at the 2A  level subbing in & even starting. If they can handle JV football then they probably can handle a few plays to give the 11 studs going both ways a breather. 

20 minutes ago, JimAdler said:

I don't know if I would brag about beating Hardin.  They just got stumped by Warren.

Not to state the obvious, but that's what they do.  Being historically a little bit better than the historically worst football programs in the state of Texas... then bragging about it.  Kountze, Hardin, West Hardin, Sabine Pass, High Island, Colmesneil, Warren... I don't think there's 10 total playoff wins from that group. 

7 hours ago, bullets13 said:

At this level, studs are a rarity...5'5" and 130 are some of the studs.