WOS at Vidor scrimmage

Stangfan#1

4 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Oh man is it football season again already... got my season tickets ready. Got to catch all the home games and have to make it to this scrimmage every year. Turns out I was a year early with my Vidor 4A district champs prediction last season, this is definitely the team that gets it done.

Mathews sure is more calm and smiley this preseason than last year's. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Mathews sure is more calm and smiley this preseason than last year's. 

I have noticed that too, last season was stressful with all the quarantine and evacuation going on at the start of the season. I have heard nothing but good things about this group of kids though, excellent turnout during all of the offseason workouts. Who really knows if they will be better than last years team but they might have a better end result if they catch a few of the breaks we couldn't capitalize on last year. RBs and LBs should be strengths this year, got the nose guard covered we'll have to see who wins out at both DE positions and most of the secondary. O-line will be young but should be solid and the new QB will be exciting to watch.

20 hours ago, piratevillain said:

just know he'll make his presence known.

This is the hidden content, please

They couldn’t block him but we lost that game somehow... so many games our D played great and still took the L. Hopefully they have the offense figured out this season. I’m hearing there’s no more tinkering around with pistol or shotgun snaps, just straight up old school under center slot-t with a more capable passing game mixed in. 3 years in a row the offense has been off just enough to cost us games, we’ll see if they have returned to form. Changing quarterbacks each season probably didn’t help, they need to find a kid who can run it for a few years. I’ll be watching the special teams too as that was a huge problem that directly cost us a couple wins last year. I hope to see a tradition punt formation, no more scramble and squib 20 yard punts or pooch kicks that put your defense in terrible field position every time. Also hope to see a capable punt returner and kicking game.

3 minutes ago, Boneyard Boys said:

They couldn’t block him but we lost that game somehow... so many games our D played great and still took the L. Hopefully they have the offense figured out this season. I’m hearing there’s no more tinkering around with pistol or shotgun snaps, just straight up old school under center slot-t with a more capable passing game mixed in. 3 years in a row the offense has been just bad enough to cost us games, we’ll see if they have returned to form.

The offense from what I seen last Friday against Buna, they fire off the ball and the ball carriers don't hesitate to hit a hole unlike what we seen last season and I'm glad they're going back to what works and not the pistol, that scheme had zero deception! lol But Jordan finally told the coaches this season he wanted to go both ways, so he's playing TE and did so all game last week. But I seriously think this team is better than last year like Mathews said. 

14 minutes ago, piratevillain said:

The offense from what I seen last Friday against Buna, they fire off the ball and the ball carriers don't hesitate to hit a hole unlike what we seen last season and I'm glad they're going back to what works and not the pistol, that scheme had zero deception! lol But Jordan finally told the coaches this season he wanted to go both ways, so he's playing TE and did so all game last week. But I seriously think this team is better than last year like Mathews said. 

That would be great to see, too much tinkering around with things last year and not enough smash mouth bully ball. Should have played him and few others both ways last year would have made a difference. But on to this season, excited to see how they scheme and what they can do with this group.

2 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

That would be great to see, too much tinkering around with things last year and not enough smash mouth bully ball. Should have played him and few others both ways last year would have made a difference. But on to this season, excited to see how they scheme and what they can do with this group.

Agreed. I think with Root at QB they were trying to utilize his speed with that new scheme and hurt us more than it helped. But I think the mistakes last year are gonna help us win ball games with going back to what we do best,and that's run it down your throat. I'm excited to see what this group can do as well!

38 minutes ago, piratevillain said:

From the website I looked at it was 13-14, LCM leads.

I like a guy that knows his high school football history. If it was lonestar they was missing some scores. I think it’s going to be 14-15 LCM leads. Also tell your buddy that the 90’s wasn’t good for Vidor against LCM they won one game in 99😂.  But anyways good luck on the season I’m not area anyways. Let’s go Tigers!

36 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

I like a guy that knows his high school football history. If it was lonestar they was missing some scores. I think it’s going to be 14-15 LCM leads. Also tell your buddy that the 90’s wasn’t good for Vidor against LCM they won one game in 99😂.  But anyways good luck on the season I’m not area anyways. Let’s go Tigers!

Yup, lonestar is where I got it from and its definitely not 100% accurate. But yeah, the 90's were not good to us at all. '98 is the year we went 1-9, 1999 was Mathews first year and we went 5-5 that season and stunned WOS that year, 21-17. But good luck to your team as well, looking forward to the Silsbee game next Friday!

7 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

Agree 100%.  Glad to see you back Big Buddy.

15 hours ago, piratevillain said:

Yup, lonestar is where I got it from and its definitely not 100% accurate. But yeah, the 90's were not good to us at all. '98 is the year we went 1-9, 1999 was Mathews first year and we went 5-5 that season and stunned WOS that year, 21-17. But good luck to your team as well, looking forward to the Silsbee game next Friday!

'96 football season Vidor went 5-5 (undefeated at home) under Head Coach Pat Murphy.  That was also the year that we beat WO-S at home 20-19.  The '97 football season (graduated in '98) we went 2-8 under Head Coach Johnson.

1 hour ago, PirateNole984 said:

'96 football season Vidor went 5-5 (undefeated at home) under Head Coach Pat Murphy.  That was also the year that we beat WO-S at home 20-19.  The '97 football season (graduated in '98) we went 2-8 under Head Coach Johnson.

Yup, I remember that '96 season. I was young but it was my older brothers senior year so I remember a good bit of it and that was a fun football season for sure!

1 hour ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

You might want to scroll up. You went  back to the  90’s against LCM. State champs remember? I guess you forgot your jr and Sr season. 

Sorry your comprehension is lacking.  I was simply reminding you that Vidor has been in 4A before not that our record was better against LCM.  But recent history (past few years, not 20+ years ago) would suggest that if we played LCM every week then Vidor would be state champs!