Reparations 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

5GallonBucket

On 12/19/2022 at 3:47 PM, CardinalBacker said:

You have to admit that a document that claims that all men are created equal while simultaneously allowing for the enslavement of others is kind of..... crappy?  But we agree... It's over and I'm glad for that.  

The problem is that in America we're never more than one generation from poverty... going either direction.  It doesn't matter how good your parents had it, you CAN mess up badly enough that you end up penniless.  Also, your folks can be broke but you can surpass them without trying too hard.  That's the beauty of it.  But to claim that your life is bad because 150+ years ago, someone was a slave is preposterous.  

I'll tell you a story about a young man.  He dropped out of high school and he smokes a little grass.  He's got two baby mamas (three kids total and pays zero child support) and has a criminal record.   He's done a little time and usually won't work because that's for suckers.  Neck tattoos... the whole nine yards.  That's obviously oppression and systemic racism that's keeping him down, right?  No... this kid is white... he's just a screwup.  That's the problem with false claims of racism.... it allows people to escape the accountability that would encourage changes that would improve their life.... Or you can sit around and wait on your "reparations."

Systemic racism does exist... but it didn't just happen because people are mean.  How many times does a firm have to get sued for racial discrimination before they start considering race in the hiring process? People complain about home values being lower based on the race of the seller.... but nobody wants to admit that factually speaking, values in areas inhabited by black people are lower... that's a fact.  Best case scenario you buy into a black neighborhood and are suddenly accused of trying to "gentrify" the place.  

But to be honest, the plight of black americans rests almost entirely upon bad decisions made by that community... then gets passed off as racism.  We went to the PNG/SOC game this last Friday.  They kept showing the crowd from both sides and it was obvious that SOC's crowd had a TON of obese people.  Everybody from the dance team to O-Line and at least 2/3 of the crowd were obese.  PNG's crowd?  Relatively height/weight proportionate.  "It costs more to eat healthy than to eat junk food... Racism!" they all cry.  Except you can walk into walmart and without fail tell who is using SNAP/EBT to buy their groceries... they're riding a scooter and have a basked heaped to overflowing with junk food that people who pay with real dollars can't afford.  Is the argument that giving those fatties MORE money for food would fix their chronic obesity?  Because only a fool would argue that.  Cut those stipends and watch the weight fall off of them.   

Is that why there was a need for a civil rights law and voting rights law after slavery was over? What about all the Jim Crow laws that had to be overturn or replaced, I guess that's just the results of bad decisions by the black community huh? Your whole premise is just flat out wrong at best. You're making a lot us assumptions and generalizations based on what I hope is short sightedness. According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), in 2016, the majority of food stamp recipients were white (41%), followed by African Americans (25%), Hispanics (17%), and Asians (2%).

I get this is a discussions page, but this is about the biggest waste of time in any one thread I have ever seen. 

This sad part is there is no discussion. It is rants from each side trying to one up the other. That NEVER works......it usually just makes a few people mad enough to break the rules and receive a time out.......it is almost like that is what the OP wanted..........

On 12/24/2022 at 2:02 PM, BS Wildcats said:

How about blaming those that have held government office for years?  What have they done to help their people, but yet keep getting elected?

Sheila Jackson Lee, Maxine Waters, Elijah Cummings, James Clyburn, Al Green, Hank(Guam will tip over)Johnson, Cory Booker, barack obama, and others I may have missed.  What have they done?  What are the good “Reverends” doing to help, beside spewing their own racist 💩.  Just easier to blame whitey and cry white privilege.  

They couldn't make any changes without help from Congress.

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

You left out one vital factor. Black people often put the police in a position where they have no choice but to use lethal force. Black people commit over 50% of the murders in the US while making up only 13% of the total population. To be more specific, black MALES make up about six percent of the general population while committing most of those murders. 

So is it any surprise that they often end up in lethal combat with the police? They’re always doing it to each other. 

Simple question… can you at least admit that black men commit many, many more murders than any other segment of our population? Not per capita, but actually commit the most, by far?

Before you segue into “poverty” being the cause, remember that y’all have already pointed out that there are more white people on welfare than blacks, total… of poverty was the cause, you’d have more white people committing murders. 

BS, and you know it

29 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

I get this is a discussions page, but this is about the biggest waste of time in any one thread I have ever seen. 

This sad part is there is no discussion. It is rants from each side trying to one up the other. That NEVER works......it usually just makes a few people mad enough to break the rules and receive a time out.......it is almost like that is what the OP wanted..........

I haven’t kept up with the whole thread but I somewhat agree. However, most have taken the time to post (in their mind) credible information supporting their view. Some have even taken the time to read each other’s links. This is better than other topics where they just exchange insults. But you are right, no one will change anyone’s mind. All need to realize that race is a very hot/trigger topic for all sides and need to consider that when posting.

12 minutes ago, mat said:

I haven’t kept up with the whole thread but I somewhat agree. However, most have taken the time to post (in their mind) credible information supporting their view. Some have even taken the time to read each other’s links. This is better than other topics where they just exchange insults. But you are right, no one will change anyone’s mind. All need to realize that race is a very hot/trigger topic for all sides and need to consider that when posting.

The Truth has no defense against against a fool determined to believe a lie.   ~ Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Big girl said:

BS, and you know it

In 2018 there were 7400 black people murdered in the US. Over 7000 of them were murdered by other black people. But all black people care about is the SIX unarmed black people that were killed by police.  

This is the hidden content, please

This article claims that between 2015 and 2021, 135 total unarmed black men and women were killed by the police… then it memorializes a young man (one of the 135) with a felony warrant who fled a traffic stop, resisted arrest, was tazed twice, and eventually was shot after trying to take the officers gun.  He’s still a “victim of police violence.”

In the same time that those poor 135 were killed by the police, roughly 45,000 black people were murdered by other blacks… but if you listen to black people and the media, you’d think it was the other way around. 

3 hours ago, Yeoj said:

Is that why there was a need for a civil rights law and voting rights law after slavery was over? What about all the Jim Crow laws that had to be overturn or replaced, I guess that's just the results of bad decisions by the black community huh? Your whole premise is just flat out wrong at best. You're making a lot us assumptions and generalizations based on what I hope is short sightedness. According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), in 2016, the majority of food stamp recipients were white (41%), followed by African Americans (25%), Hispanics (17%), and Asians (2%).

Good post… those laws were needed to address actual racism. The only lingering effects of racism is the victim mentality that infests the minds of black people despite having every possible advantage offered to them over other races. 

9 hours ago, UT alum said:

Typical racist false logic to make it look like white folk get the raw end of the deal.  2021 census estimate:  196,833,431 whites in US, 41,858,536 blacks in US. Whites killed by cops 2017-2022: 2,320. Blacks killed by cops same time period:  1,260.  Technically m, you are correct. Look at proportions, however, and your claim becomes grossly inaccurate. Rate of whites killed by cops:  11.79 per million. Rate of blacks killed by cops: 25.81 per million. Over twice the rate. Numbers are meaningless without context and proportion.

Yet progressives like yourself don’t like to use the same maths when it comes to figuring up crime rates. 

9 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

You left out one vital factor. Black people often put the police in a position where they have no choice but to use lethal force. Black people commit over 50% of the murders in the US while making up only 13% of the total population. To be more specific, black MALES make up about six percent of the general population while committing most of those murders. 

So is it any surprise that they often end up in lethal combat with the police? They’re always doing it to each other. 

Simple question… can you at least admit that black men commit many, many more murders than any other segment of our population? Not per capita, but actually commit the most, by far?

Before you segue into “poverty” being the cause, remember that y’all have already pointed out that there are more white people on welfare than blacks, total… of poverty was the cause, you’d have more white people committing murders. 

A sad reality is that young African American men are taught that cops are out to kill them for no reason.  By parents, by their community, and even more so by the media.  The overwhelming amount of cop shootings are justified.  A small handful (less than 20) of people are murdered by cops in the country every year, over the course of millions of contacts.  Not even one of these is okay, but it’s absolutely the LEAST likely thing to happen during a police/citizen interaction. But because the media seizes on those handful of murders, African American males are scared of the police.  And due to this, a large amount of JUSTIFIED police shootings stem from minorities freaking out during minor interactions and getting themselves shot.  Every single day someone gets shot in this country because they try to fight with police after being stopped for a minor infraction, and it’s so unnecessary.  And it’s a vicious cycle, because every one of those shootings, no matter how righteous, further perpetuates the idea that police want to kill minorities.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

A sad reality is that young African American men are taught that cops are out to kill them for no reason.  By parents, by their community, and even more so by the media.  The overwhelming amount of cop shootings are justified.  A small handful (less than 20) of people are murdered by cops in the country every year, over the course of millions of contacts.  Not even one of these is okay, but it’s absolutely the LEAST likely thing to happen during a police/citizen interaction. But because the media seizes on those handful of murders, African American males are scared of the police.  And due to this, a large amount of JUSTIFIED police shootings stem from minorities freaking out during minor interactions and getting themselves shot.  Every single day someone gets shot in this country because they try to fight with police after being stopped for a minor infraction, and it’s so unnecessary.  And it’s a vicious cycle, because every one of those shootings, no matter how righteous, further perpetuates the idea that police want to kill minorities.  

I have a black friend that was raised in Alabama, then moved to texas. Great family background, coparenting with his sons’ mom, worked for PAFD before hiring on at one of the plants. Solid, solid dude. He was literally worried about his sons’ lives if they came in contact with the police-and these kids went to Memorial. You couldn’t convince him that statistically speaking  they’re  1000 times more likely to be killed  by another black kid than a cop. Like… every other week some kid is getting smoked in PA, but he’s legit worried about what will happen if the cops pull them over. 
I don’t know how you fix peoples’ thought processes with facts…. Some people still believe the election was stolen, too. 

9 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I have a black friend that was raised in Alabama, then moved to texas. Great family background, coparenting with his sons’ mom, worked for PAFD before hiring on at one of the plants. Solid, solid dude. He was literally worried about his sons’ lives if they came in contact with the police-and these kids went to Memorial. You couldn’t convince him that statistically speaking  they’re  1000 times more likely to be killed  by another black kid than a cop. Like… every other week some kid is getting smoked in PA, but he’s legit worried about what will happen if the cops pull them over. 
I don’t know how you fix peoples’ thought processes with facts…. Some people still believe the election was stolen, too. 

I worked with a guy, really like him, and every time a police officer was near him it was due to race.  BISD cop car parked at Sallie Curtis: it was because he had jogged past earlier.  Pulled over for speeding and got a warning: he makes a giant Facebook post about how he feared for his life.  Cop car behind him while he’s driving: looking for him to do something wrong.  

Like your buddy, this guy is a good dude, but nothing can convince him that every cop isn’t out to get him, even those he’s over 40 and has never been arrested, has gotten breaks on speeding tickets, etc.  I’m with you, I don’t know how you fix it.  Because there ARE instances where police murder people of color, and we aren’t really that far removed from police abusing minorities regularly.  But these days it’s by far the rarest outcome, but is portrayed as an epidemic. 

24 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I worked with a guy, really like him, and every time a police officer was near him it was due to race.  BISD cop car parked at Sallie Curtis: it was because he had jogged past earlier.  Pulled over for speeding and got a warning: he makes a giant Facebook post about how he feared for his life.  Cop car behind him while he’s driving: looking for him to do something wrong.  

Like your buddy, this guy is a good dude, but nothing can convince him that every cop isn’t out to get him, even those he’s over 40 and has never been arrested, has gotten breaks on speeding tickets, etc.  I’m with you, I don’t know how you fix it.  Because there ARE instances where police murder people of color, and we aren’t really that far removed from police abusing minorities regularly.  But these days it’s by far the rarest outcome, but is portrayed as an epidemic. 

The good news is that those old days where law enforcement was like “it was the worst case of suicide we ever saw” when a black person died in custody are gone… more often than not juries ARE convicting police officers who wrongfully kill/injure people…. The only problem is that a large portion of the population believes that ANY time a police officer kills a black person, the officer should be imprisoned… it doesn’t matter if the officer was returning fire as the “victim” was shooting at the cop…. No justice, no peace!

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Bingo

14 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

In 2018 there were 7400 black people murdered in the US. Over 7000 of them were murdered by other black people. But all black people care about is the SIX unarmed black people that were killed by police.  

This is the hidden content, please

This article claims that between 2015 and 2021, 135 total unarmed black men and women were killed by the police… then it memorializes a young man (one of the 135) with a felony warrant who fled a traffic stop, resisted arrest, was tazed twice, and eventually was shot after trying to take the officers gun.  He’s still a “victim of police violence.”

In the same time that those poor 135 were killed by the police, roughly 45,000 black people were murdered by other blacks… but if you listen to black people and the media, you’d think it was the other way around. 

Do you feel this same way about white on white crime? FBI statistics show that 85 percent of white murders are committed by white people. You conveniently break those numbers down to prove your point but leave out the fact that people kill where they live. Add in the fact that humans are mostly like minded creatures, then most murders will be committed by someone who looks like the person they are killing. In 2020 765 people were killed by police, 28 percent of them were black despite black people only making up 13 percent of the population. Every job has rules that govern that job. Being a policeman is no different. Rational people want police to do their jobs following the rules and applying them equally across every situation regardless of the color of the person's skin they are reacting with. If they can't do that, then maybe they shouldn't be police.

4 hours ago, Yeoj said:

Do you feel this same way about white on white crime? FBI statistics show that 85 percent of white murders are committed by white people. You conveniently break those numbers down to prove your point but leave out the fact that people kill where they live. Add in the fact that humans are mostly like minded creatures, then most murders will be committed by someone who looks like the person they are killing. In 2020 765 people were killed by police, 28 percent of them were black despite black people only making up 13 percent of the population. Every job has rules that govern that job. Being a policeman is no different. Rational people want police to do their jobs following the rules and applying them equally across every situation regardless of the color of the person's skin they are reacting with. If they can't do that, then maybe they shouldn't be police.

What do you want me to say?  The percentage of blacks murdered by blacks is very similar to the percentage of whites murdered by whites... the problems is that there are just so many more blacks killed in total.  Of the 14000 murder victims in the US in 2018, over 7400 were black... and practically all of them were killed by black people.  But you don't care about those (other than some airbrushed t-shirts), just the ones who get killed by cops.  

Here's the problem with your math... you only care about math when it's in your favor.  What's the percentage of black NBA players making millions compared to others?  Not a problem.  Running backs in the NFL are almost exclusively black, and you don't care.  Why aren't there more black qbs?  Must be racism, huh?

Can you admit that black men are much more violent as evidenced by the astounding numbers of murders they commit on each other every year? 

You seem to be the guy that wants to overlook the fact that they just kill a disproportionate amount of people, but then cry about the fact that they are over-represented on death row as being racist.  

On 12/27/2022 at 9:37 AM, LumRaiderFan said:

You get the award for making the most racist post on the thread, congratulations.

By the way, I certainly don't think you or anyone else deserves reparations for something that didn't affect your life in any way.

How’s that racist if I’m white?  If the white man likes to share, why so many broken promises throughout our history?  The institution of slavery and the south’s attempt to perpetuate it into the second half of the twentieth century does affect the lives of many today.

1 minute ago, UT alum said:

How’s that racist if I’m white?  If the white man likes to share, why so many broken promises throughout our history?  The institution of slavery and the south’s attempt to perpetuate it into the second half of the twentieth century does affect the lives of many today.

It's not racist, it's just a lie to say that "the south's attempt to perpetuate it (slavery) into the second half of the twentieth century does affect the lives of many today" when slavery was ended in American during the middle of the 19th century... and we're a quarter of the way through the 21st century today.  

The problem is this.... almost every civilization since the dawn of time has had slavery in one form or another... and every square inch of the earth has been conquered over and over from the times of the cavemen and mesopotamians.... But to hear an "educated" person speak today, you'd just assume it's been those dirty white men and their racism all along.  

Under what part of our constitution is a field general allowed to take the millions of acres from one set of citizens and promise it to another set of citizens?  Because that's all that "40 acres and a mule" was... some Yankee General's short-sighted attempt to punish Southern landowners after the Civil War, and luckily wiser heads realized that despite being Unconstitutional, it was wrong.... but that's the "broken promise" blacks like to cry about. 

Meanwhile, you can drive through East Texas and see countless homesteads that have been abandoned by their black owners. Take a drive... they're everywhere.  

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

What do you want me to say?  The percentage of blacks murdered by blacks is very similar to the percentage of whites murdered by whites... the problems is that there are just so many more blacks killed in total.  Of the 14000 murder victims in the US in 2018, over 7400 were black... and practically all of them were killed by black people.  But you don't care about those (other than some airbrushed t-shirts), just the ones who get killed by cops.  

Here's the problem with your math... you only care about math when it's in your favor.  What's the percentage of black NBA players making millions compared to others?  Not a problem.  Running backs in the NFL are almost exclusively black, and you don't care.  Why aren't there more black qbs?  Must be racism, huh?

Can you admit that black men are much more violent as evidenced by the astounding numbers of murders they commit on each other every year? 

You seem to be the guy that wants to overlook the fact that they just kill a disproportionate amount of people, but then cry about the fact that they are over-represented on death row as being racist.  

You can twist yourself into a knot trying to prove whatever point you think you're making. But the conclusion to all the numbers no matter which ones you use says that black people are more likely to be killed per capita by law enforcement than white people in the United States. Black children are 18 times more likely to be sentenced as adults compared to white children by the criminal justice system. Black Americans pay higher bails and receive harsher punishments than white people for the same crime. And, with all of that you are on this message board talking about systemic racism doesn't exist! Using black people's decision making, they’re eating habits, and claiming them to be more violent to prove a point. You're not a racist cause I doubt someone as shortsighted as you has any control over anyone of a different race's life but you're definitely a prejudice miserable person. Dude go back and read the crap you've posted on this thread. It’s ridiculous at best! SMDH...

On 12/27/2022 at 10:02 AM, CardinalBacker said:

I do acknowledge your assertion. It’s not  poverty. It’s oppression. 

Your assertion that “they’re always doing it to each other” dovearils nicely with the bigoted defense of slavery that “they did it to each other” in selling their enemies to the white profiteer.

6 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

It's not racist, it's just a lie to say that "the south's attempt to perpetuate it (slavery) into the second half of the twentieth century does affect the lives of many today" when slavery was ended in American during the middle of the 19th century... and we're a quarter of the way through the 21st century today.  

The problem is this.... almost every civilization since the dawn of time has had slavery in one form or another... and every square inch of the earth has been conquered over and over from the times of the cavemen and mesopotamians.... But to hear an "educated" person speak today, you'd just assume it's been those dirty white men and their racism all along.  

Under what part of our constitution is a field general allowed to take the millions of acres from one set of citizens and promise it to another set of citizens?  Because that's all that "40 acres and a mule" was... some Yankee General's short-sighted attempt to punish Southern landowners after the Civil War, and luckily wiser heads realized that despite being Unconstitutional, it was wrong.... but that's the "broken promise" blacks like to cry about. 

Meanwhile, you can drive through East Texas and see countless homesteads that have been abandoned by their black owners. Take a drive... they're everywhere.  

So, what, you deny the effects of Jim Crow laws existing into the 1960’s?

And, cavemen and Mesopotamians aren’t relevant to today’s social ills any more than “bleeding” and using mercury as medicine are relevant to today’s medical profession.