Reparations 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

5GallonBucket

30 minutes ago, UT alum said:

I do acknowledge your assertion. It’s not  poverty. It’s oppression. 

Your assertion that “they’re always doing it to each other” dovearils nicely with the bigoted defense of slavery that “they did it to each other” in selling their enemies to the white profiteer.

Honestly, I don’t subscribe to the “they sold their own into slavery argument.”  At the end of the day it doesn’t matter. 

it’s a historical institution with no impact on life in America today. No offense, but Texas wasn’t “built on Slavery.” It existed here from 1836 to 1865. No offense, but that’s an insignificant time period in the grand scheme of things. Not exactly 300 years, huh?

37 minutes ago, Yeoj said:

You can twist yourself into a knot trying to prove whatever point you think you're making. But the conclusion to all the numbers no matter which ones you use says that black people are more likely to be killed per capita by law enforcement than white people in the United States. Black children are 18 times more likely to be sentenced as adults compared to white children by the criminal justice system. Black Americans pay higher bails and receive harsher punishments than white people for the same crime. And, with all of that you are on this message board talking about systemic racism doesn't exist! Using black people's decision making, their eating habits, and claiming them to be more violent to prove a point. You're not a racist cause I doubt someone as shortsighted as you has any control over anyone of a different race's life but you're definitely a prejudice miserable person. Dude go back and read the bullshit you've posted on this thread. Its ridiculous at best! SMDH...

It’s proven that young black men get into more violent confrontations than anyone else… just check the number of blacks murdered every year. 

So why are you surprised that they get into more violent confrontations with the cops, too?

it’s not that hard to understand if you can let go of your biases. 

1 hour ago, UT alum said:

How’s that racist if I’m white?  If the white man likes to share, why so many broken promises throughout our history?  The institution of slavery and the south’s attempt to perpetuate it into the second half of the twentieth century does affect the lives of many today.

Only if you allow it to affect your life.  Tell me what laws or mechanisms remain that are holding anyone back today and even if that were true, how could a monetary payoff solve the problem?

Also, explain to me who should receive these reparations and how much per person?  Do we verify ancestry?  Lay out the plan that will solve these problems with government money when we have decades of evidence that prove otherwise.

41 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Honestly, I don’t subscribe to the “they sold their own into slavery argument.”  At the end of the day it doesn’t matter. 

it’s a historical institution with no impact on life in America today. No offense, but Texas wasn’t “built on Slavery.” It existed here from 1836 to 1865. No offense, but that’s an insignificant time period in the grand scheme of things. Not exactly 300 years, huh?

Whatever. I’m talking the nation’s societal condition, not just Texas. Do you know who the Copperheads were?

48 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

The political group from the 1860s?  

Northerners who wanted to preserve slavery so that their manufacturing businesses would continue to receive cheap raw materials from the slave states. It wasn’t just a southern thing. It was and still is about preserving a certain social order.

On 12/24/2022 at 8:17 AM, bullets13 said:

I taught in inner city Beaumont for 15 years.  Students had to be low socioeconomic to qualify for school.  I’ve had several parents of students friend me on Facebook over the years, and every spring they’re posting about their tax returns of thousands of dollars (like $10k).  I’ve even seen advertisements from tax services around town guaranteeing these giant returns.  Most of them don’t work, or if they do it’s part time for minimum wage.  Yet somehow they’re getting much larger tax returns than people working full time, well-paying jobs.  Is that not reparations?  One thing is for sure, they’re not using the money to better their situations.  How much money would it take to make a difference?  How many people would even use the money responsibly if they got it?  Free housing, free phones, free insurance, free food.  Sounds like reparations to me.  And working more hours and getting better jobs disqualifies you from getting these freebies.  if anything, the reparations already being handed out are discouraging African Americans from bettering themselves.  

Thought of this immediately...

Chappelle is the best.

Everyone should know racism has been a problem since biblical times.

Anyone that doesn’t see that racism has greatly improved over the last century is in denial.

Anyone that thinks racism is no longer a problem is in denial.

Anyone that thinks racism is a white thing is blind. Racism exists within all races. 

We should not confuse racism with prejudice. Not all prejudice is racism.

Anyone that thinks racism will ever go away is blind. 

If you are the target of racism the best way to handle it Is to just deal with it and be determined that no one will determine your worth or your outcome.

39 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Northerners who wanted to preserve slavery so that their manufacturing businesses would continue to receive cheap raw materials from the slave states. It wasn’t just a southern thing. It was and still is about preserving a certain social order.

You had me right up until here...  The thing is this.  We fought against the British, Indians, Mexicans, Libyans, Japanese, Germans, Italians, each other, Vietnamese, Koreans, Iraqis, Iranians, Somalis, Afghans, etc since slavery ended... and for the most part we're cool with those people now.... the idea that we somehow won't forgive African immigrants for being freed from slavery? The whole animosity is being played up for ratings and votes.... and some people just take it too seriously. 

Here's fine example... throughout the world the impoverished have one thing in common... they're all rail-thin. In America our "impoverished" are a bunch of fatties because "it's too expensive to eat healthy."  No, the common sense answer is that we give them too much $$$ for food. People who pay for their own food pick up what they need at the grocery store and try to stretch that dollar.  "Poor" people with EBTs shove shopping carts full stacked overflowing with junk food that the cash customer can't afford... but obesity is a reflection of systemic racism for the black fatties.  And if you disagree you're just disenfranchised and a racist, according to the uniformly POC anchors on my morning news show.  

On 12/27/2022 at 12:34 PM, Yeoj said:

Is that why there was a need for a civil rights law and voting rights law after slavery was over? What about all the Jim Crow laws that had to be overturn or replaced, I guess that's just the results of bad decisions by the black community huh? Your whole premise is just flat out wrong at best. You're making a lot us assumptions and generalizations based on what I hope is short sightedness. According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), in 2016, the majority of food stamp recipients were white (41%), followed by African Americans (25%), Hispanics (17%), and Asians (2%).

Then according to the USDA, 15% of food stamps go to no one.

I am not sure of your intent but…..

Either population matters in comparisons or it doesn’t. Neither side of an argument should say that percentage of a population matters…. unless we are discussing a different topic where someone doesn’t like the numbers. In that case population is irrelevant. 

In this thread UT Alum brings up that twice as Whites are killed by the police but they have a 500-600% higher population. I am assuming that the correlation is that if 1,000 Blacks killed by the police then 5,000 Whites should be killed by them.

If you accept that premise then Whites having at least 500% more population should equally have 500% more people on food stamps.  But as your data shows, instead of 500% more Whites getting food stamps it is only 15%.

Does the percentage of police encounters matter?

So do we get to pick and choose when population matters?

Another example is that roughly 7% of the population (Black Males) commits annually about 52% of homicides going by FBI statistics. Yet deathpenaltyinfo.org shows that “only” 41% of people on death row are Black. So are Blacks sentenced to death at a lower rate than everyone else combined? If a group is committing 52% of murders then shouldn’t 52% of death row be from that race? How is there a 20% reduction when comparing the percentage of murders committed by Black as opposed to the percentage of the death penalty? I could give interesting arguments as to why it appears that Blacks are underrepresented on death row but that shows the problem with statistics. Raw data doesn’t always (or perhaps rarely) show the reality. It only shows raw data without showing cause.

So by population it seems that Blacks receive the death penalty at a higher rate but when compared to known crimes committed, they appear to be very underrepresented.

So do racial percentages matter or only if the topic seems favorable at that moment or that topic? 

Everyone is entitled to make whatever out of statistics. It seems disingenuous however to look at a topic based on race population prior to determining if they favorable to one side or the other before making that determination. 

49 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

You had me right up until here...  The thing is this.  We fought against the British, Indians, Mexicans, Libyans, Japanese, Germans, Italians, each other, Vietnamese, Koreans, Iraqis, Iranians, Somalis, Afghans, etc since slavery ended... and for the most part we're cool with those people now.... the idea that we somehow won't forgive African immigrants for being freed from slavery? The whole animosity is being played up for ratings and votes.... and some people just take it too seriously. 

Here's fine example... throughout the world the impoverished have one thing in common... they're all rail-thin. In America our "impoverished" are a bunch of fatties because "it's too expensive to eat healthy."  No, the common sense answer is that we give them too much $$$ for food. People who pay for their own food pick up what they need at the grocery store and try to stretch that dollar.  "Poor" people with EBTs shove shopping carts full stacked overflowing with junk food that the cash customer can't afford... but obesity is a reflection of systemic racism for the black fatties.  And if you disagree you're just disenfranchised and a racist, according to the uniformly POC anchors on my morning news show.  

Poor black people are not a monolith. There are some skinny black people

54 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Dayum. You sit in the store and monitor folks eating habits relative to their economic status? Sounds a little OCD.  It’s salt, sugar, and fat. There is no racial component to that. Your fearless leader is example 1A.

7 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Poor black people are not a monolith. There are some skinny black people

My point exactly... I was talking about how so many poor people are fat... of all races.  But obesity among poor blacks is caused by systemic racism.  So what about the skinny blacks who are poor?  So what about the fat whites who are poor?  It doesn't matter... obesity among poor blacks is just another symptom of 1350 years of oppression and it's worse now than ever, right?

3 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Dayum. You sit in the store and monitor folks eating habits relative to their economic status? Sounds a little OCD.  It’s salt, sugar, and fat. There is no racial component to that. Your fearless leader is example 1A.

This is the hidden content, please

No, it's racism according to the "educated" people. 

37 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Then according to the USDA, 15% of food stamps go to no one.

I am not sure of your intent but…..

Either population matters in comparisons or it doesn’t. Neither side of an argument should say that percentage of a population matters…. unless we are discussing a different topic where someone doesn’t like the numbers. In that case population is irrelevant. 

In this thread UT Alum brings up that twice as Whites are killed by the police but they have a 500-600% higher population. I am assuming that the correlation is that if 1,000 Blacks killed by the police then 5,000 Whites should be killed by them.

If you accept that premise then Whites having at least 500% more population should equally have 500% more people on food stamps.  But as your data shows, instead of 500% more Whites getting food stamps it is only 15%.

Does the percentage of police encounters matter?

So do we get to pick and choose when population matters?

Another example is that roughly 7% of the population (Black Males) commits annually about 52% of homicides going by FBI statistics. Yet deathpenaltyinfo.org shows that “only” 41% of people on death row are Black. So are Blacks sentenced to death at a lower rate than everyone else combined? If a group is committing 52% of murders then shouldn’t 52% of death row be from that race? How is there a 20% reduction when comparing the percentage of murders committed by Black as opposed to the percentage of the death penalty? I could give interesting arguments as to why it appears that Blacks are underrepresented on death row but that shows the problem with statistics. Raw data doesn’t always (or perhaps rarely) show the reality. It only shows raw data without showing cause.

So by population it seems that Blacks receive the death penalty at a higher rate but when compared to known crimes committed, they appear to be very underrepresented.

So do racial percentages matter or only if the topic seems favorable at that moment or that topic? 

Everyone is entitled to make whatever out of statistics. It seems disingenuous however to look at a topic based on race population prior to determining if they favorable to one side or the other before making that determination. 

Those percentages I cited reflect inequity.  I would like to think no one was killed by cops, not 5000 proportionate to 1000. Nice try at manipulating what I was trying to point out (not).

4 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

This is the hidden content, please

No, it's racism according to the "educated" people. 

Well, I read it. It says obesity and unhealthy food choices affect the poor in greater uh, proportion, but that systemic racism affects primarily availability and effectiveness of treatment for African Americans. Soon away, though.  All the dollar stores around here are in primarily white neighborhoods. 

2 hours ago, mat said:

Everyone should know racism has been a problem since biblical times.

Anyone that doesn’t see that racism has greatly improved over the last century is in denial.

Anyone that thinks racism is no longer a problem is in denial.

Anyone that thinks racism is a white thing is blind. Racism exists within all races. 

We should not confuse racism with prejudice. Not all prejudice is racism.

Anyone that thinks racism will ever go away is blind. 

If you are the target of racism the best way to handle it Is to just deal with it and be determined that no one will determine your worth or your outcome.

Have you ever been a target of racism (not prejudice)?

6 hours ago, UT alum said:

It ain’t what you don’t know that will get you in trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. - Mark Twain

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people's thinking.

-Steve Jobs

37 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Have you ever been a target of racism (not prejudice)?

Yes, I feel I have. White people can be targeted or a victim too. I’d be happy to share examples but I would rather take my own advice and just deal with it.

Being accused of unwarranted racism is a form of racism it’s self.

39 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Didn’t ask you. 

Don’t worry… I’ve posted plenty of current day examples that unfairly target white people or give benefits only to POCs…. 

Here’s a couple of new ones… the pandemic response included billions in aid for farmers with 25% going to minority farmers… despite fact that they only make up 4% of all farmers… you know, pandemic response via social Justice. Kinda sucks if you’re part of the 96%, though. 

Or when VP Kamala Harris promises to take “equity” into consideration when passing out fema funds after Hurricane Ian. That’s not that great of news if you’re house blew down and you’re white. 

Since those racist polities come from the federal government itself, i think they actually ARE examples of systemic racism in 2022… but it’s aimed at white folks, not black. So much for “equal protection under the law”, huh?

1 hour ago, UT alum said:

Those percentages I cited reflect inequity.  I would like to think no one was killed by cops, not 5000 proportionate to 1000. Nice try at manipulating what I was trying to point out (not).

What you call manipulation I call reality. 

I didn’t address individual topics and only drew the conclusion that if you want to use population percentages, it should always be used and not cherry picked for convenience. You might note that I never addressed any issues as to police shootings, welfare, etc. 

My only point was that it is disingenuous to cite racial percentages in one issue and completely disregard in another if it doesn’t fit a narrative. You must have a different definition of manipulation.

But, your response doesn’t surprise me.  If you can’t find a valid response, accuse the other person of manipulating. 😂