Referee gets slammed by Edinburg HS player after being ejected

NHSBulldogFan

46 minutes ago, Pho Rizzle said:

This stunt has 2020 written all over it. Not defending this fool but I just want to know. 

How many of you wanted to do this to a ref this year ????😄

In a topic that may or may not be interesting to some people… and wanting to do it to a ref....

Texas has an interesting and probably a little known law on that.

Texas has 2 class C misdemeanor assault charges. A class C is basically equal to a traffic citation. It carries a maximum of $500 fine (as little as $1) and no jail time.

They are assault by contact or threat (but not a threat of death or serious injury). By contact is touching someone like poking your finger in their chest or shoving someone but not causing any injury. By threat is by saying something like, I am about to come over there and whip your butt. 

IF.... any of those class C assaults are committed against a “sports participant”, it is a B misdemeanor carrying up to 6 months in jail and/or up to a $2,000 fine. A sports participant is a coach, player, referee, etc. 

So..... putting your finger on a ref or yelling to an umpire, make another call like that and I am about to whip your.....

Can carry a rather stiff penalty. 

1 minute ago, Pho Rizzle said:

No need to get all penal. If you can paste an entire book on laws then surely you can read my tiny statement saying" im not defending this fool"

No need to get all defensive. 

I was just using your post to point out a likely little known and interesting law. I understood where you were coming from. 👍

2 hours ago, tvc184 said:

So..... putting your finger on a ref or yelling to an umpire, make another call like that and I am about to whip your.....

Interesting and very little known law. I had no idea. Thought they were just good people providing a service for the youth. Gives them added security against things like this from happening. Don't mess with Texas refs. 

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

In a topic that may or may not be interesting to some people… and wanting to do it to a ref....

Texas has an interesting and probably a little known law on that.

Texas has 2 class C misdemeanor assault charges. A class C is basically equal to a traffic citation. It carries a maximum of $500 fine (as little as $1) and no jail time.

They are assault by contact or threat (but not a threat of death or serious injury). By contact is touching someone like poking your finger in their chest or shoving someone but not causing any injury. By threat is by saying something like, I am about to come over there and whip your butt. 

IF.... any of those class C assaults are committed against a “sports participant”, it is a B misdemeanor carrying up to 6 months in jail and/or up to a $2,000 fine. A sports participant is a coach, player, referee, etc. 

as it should.....those guys get verbally abused a lot of the time.
Good for Texas!

the coach and administration gambled by tolerating his thuggery for the benefit they got from his athleticism.  the gamble failed and they must pay.  they are responsible for the actions of the team when they should have reasonably believed there was a chance something like this would happen.  there was a history.  the outraged parents can make their feelings known at the next school board election.  it happened on their watch.  

kinda like if a political party lies, cheats, and steals in the past, you must assume they will lie, cheat, and steal in the future.  

46 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

What did they do to the rest of the team? Surely prematurely ending their football season and taking away their playoff run wasn’t enough to pay for their guilt by association. 

2 year probation I believe

which stinks for the teammates. Coaches didn’t commit the crime but they mishandled player management. There should ve been a couple of coaches assigned to corralling this kid knowing his tendencies.  I look at it as UIL is punishing coaches and admin for either not having a plan in place or not carrying thru with plan if they had one.

this wasn’t the first episode with this kid.....

1 hour ago, 5GallonBucket said:

2 year probation I believe

which stinks for the teammates. Coaches didn’t commit the crime but they mishandled player management. There should ve been a couple of coaches assigned to corralling this kid knowing his tendencies.  I look at it as UIL is punishing coaches and admin for either not having a plan in place or not carrying thru with plan if they had one.

this wasn’t the first episode with this kid.....

Yeah, I’m glad it was only probation. They were already overly punished in the first place. 

2 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

And sending a message to every OTHER school in Texas that this will no longer be tolerated by the UIL......

Yep. 2 years probation sends a loud and clear message (heavy on the sarcasm).  The school’s own district shutting down the season and giving up the playoff win sends an awesome message too and here’s what it is:

Luke 23:41 

“We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

That’s what one of the criminals being crucified with Jesus said to another criminal in reference to Jesus being punished.

Those kids (not the turd who committed the crime) got to learn that life isn’t fair. That’s about it. Oh yeah, and that they can’t always trust the people in charge to make good decisions. They’ll get to learn that one over and over. 

7 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Yep. 2 years probation sends a loud and clear message (heavy on the sarcasm).  The school’s own district shutting down the season and giving up the playoff win sends an awesome message too and here’s what it is:

“We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

That’s what one of the criminals being crucified with Jesus said to another criminal in reference to Jesus being punished.

Those kids (not the turd who committed the crime) got to learn that life isn’t fair. That’s about it. Oh yeah, and that they can’t always trust the people in charge to make good decisions. They’ll get to learn that one over and over. 

Very well said, and is the absolute truth. Great post.

18 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Lol... those kids didn't get punished, they just didn't get rewarded.  Is it the whole team's fault when they put an ineligible player on the field?  No, but the whole team forfeits.  Just ask us... Our whole team lost a DC year before last in baseball because the coaches allowed a kid to play in JV and Varsity games.  Was that just kids not being able to trust the people in charge to make good decisions?  No, the TEAM broke the rules and paid a price.  Ain't no difference here.  

58 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Lol... those kids didn't get punished, they just didn't get rewarded.  Is it the whole team's fault when they put an ineligible player on the field?  No, but the whole team forfeits.  Just ask us... Our whole team lost a DC year before last in baseball because the coaches allowed a kid to play in JV and Varsity games.  Was that just kids not being able to trust the people in charge to make good decisions?  No, the TEAM broke the rules and paid a price.  Ain't no difference here.  

The kid had already been ejected. He was no longer a part of the equation (for the 5th time). 

15 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

The kid had already been ejected. He was no longer a part of the equation (for the 5th time). 

He was still standing there wearing a uniform, wasn’t he? 

In your fairy land, his actions deserved a penalty the first time, a worse penalty the second time, but he gets a pass for anything he does subsequently? They should adopt that “plan” for everything. 

“Excuse me, sir, the reason I pulled you over is that you’re driving erratically, and now I detect the distinct odor of alcohol on your breath.”

”You’d better check your little computer there, officer! I’ve already gotten two DWIs... you can’t penalize me.”

”I beg your pardon, sir... I was unaware. Drive safe, now.”

17 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

He was still standing there wearing a uniform, wasn’t he? 

In your fairy land, his actions deserved a penalty the first time, a worse penalty the second time, but he gets a pass for anything he does subsequently? They should adopt that “plan” for everything. 

“Excuse me, sir, the reason I pulled you over is that you’re driving erratically, and now I detect the distinct odor of alcohol on your breath.”

”You’d better check your little computer there, officer! I’ve already gotten two DWIs... you can’t penalize me.”

”I beg your pardon, sir... I was unaware. Drive safe, now.”

No, the kid shouldn’t get a pass. He should go to jail. It’s no longer a football penalty, it’s assault. 
Don’t try and twist it around like I’m saying nothing should happen. 
I’m saying the punishment of assault applies to him. His actions while a part of that game and an active participant of that team should result in a penalty for the team and a subsequent ejection for him. Past that, the other kids shouldn’t be subject to his actions. 
Wearing a uniform does not make you a part of the team. He was already ejected. 
Im not taking up for the hothead. He should get what HE signed up for as an individual. 

2 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

No, the kid shouldn’t get a pass. He should go to jail. It’s no longer a football penalty, it’s assault. 
Don’t try and twist it around like I’m saying nothing should happen. 
I’m saying the punishment of assault applies to him. His actions while a part of that game and an active participant of that team should result in a penalty for the team and a subsequent ejection for him. Past that, the other kids shouldn’t be subject to his actions. 
Wearing a uniform does not make you a part of the team. He was already ejected. 
Im not taking up for the hothead. He should get what HE signed up for as an individual. 

So let me get this straight.. the team gets penalized the first time this kid gets out of line, then penalized more harshly the second time, but the third time the team gets a pass because.... the team got penalized the second time?  I'm still confused.  

The fact that the kid wasn't going to be permitted to play any longer doesn't make a difference. He was still on the field attacking people.  Wearing a uniform.  

Here's what the Good Book says about it.

This is the hidden content, please

44. 9-2-6-a, b & c. Disqualified Players a. Any coach, player, or identified squad member in uniform who commits two unsportsmanlike conduct fouls in the same game shall be disqualified. b. A player disqualified from the game must leave the playing enclosure under team supervision within a reasonable amount of time after his disqualification. He must remain out of view of the field of play under team supervision for the duration of the game.

If the UIL can say what the kid is supposed to be doing (under team supervision, in this case), then he's still a part of the team, and subject to additional penalties for himself and the team.  And it sounds like the team wasn't doing a very good job of supervising him post-disqualification... and that in and of itself would justify further TEAM punishment.