12-5A-II Smack Talk thread

Cougtalk

1 hour ago, BHFAN said:

1st scrimmage this week against Magnolia tomorrow and looking forward to it. BH should field a good team this year with plenty of talent returning and a group that has been great in football since TIFI! This years Senior and Junior class have always meshed well together over the years in all sports. It’s a shame that this season will be hampered some with COVID, but hope all stay healthy and play to their potential. Let’s get this show going!

I really expect BH in the regional Finals and a DC.. y’all are loaded.

5 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I don’t think they’re free agents, not sure who they are? We couldn’t really sit in groups at the scrimmage so I didn’t catch any of the usual random comments regarding the kids. I know one kid I really like is just a sophomore they moved up to varsity as a freshman at the end of the year. Good possibility the other kids was on the freshman or jv last year too. My son went to school in the DFW area last year so I didn’t catch any underclassmen games to be able to verify who’s who. 

My biggest takeaways were; 1. Jaylen Herman is a savage. Picked up where he left off against Huntsville. 2. We probably need more of a threat at the backup rb position. 3. The jv QB looks like a mini Johnny Football, could end up being a player for us if he grows some. 

Is the Sophomore  you are talking about Brian Samuel wr.If not what position does he play ?

On 9/16/2020 at 7:47 PM, Justafan72 said:

Is the Sophomore  you are talking about Brian Samuel wr.If not what position does he play ?

Yes it is, I feel like he could reach 4-star level like Netherly did if he stay healthy and things go his way. Probably a group of 5 kid at the worst. Going to be solid edition to those 4 skill returners I mentioned, I think the other kid I was talking about may have just changed jersey numbers? With Samuel in there and if they start Ray both ways it's going to make three of our 4 starting recivers over 6' tall with Wilson, who's our burner, checking in at about 5'10". Dunn looks like he slept in the weight room all Summer and seems primed for a good year too. We're a little smaller than you would like on the o-line but if Branch can maintain the level of play he did in the playoff games, this offense will be on the level with the '17 team. Crosby fans should be very excited. 

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I don't think they did this year? They were supposed to get a sophomore qb named Tyler Durst from Clear Lake but I was told his parents changed their minds after the hair issue.  

Lol you should work for CNN. The QB this year is a BH kid that has been beating Crosby like a drum his entire career at BH and he can keep his hair cut. Last years QB was also a BH kid most  of his life that moved away then moved back.  

Also I still haven’t heard much details on the scrimmage except that we did ok and won 10-7 in the 2 quarter timed portion of the scrimmage. We have a hard time with Magnolia over the last two years dropping both contest against them.

1 hour ago, BHFAN said:

Lol you should work for CNN. The QB this year is a BH kid that has been beating Crosby like a drum his entire career at BH and he can keep his hair cut. Last years QB was also a BH kid most  of his life that moved away then moved back.  

Also I still haven’t heard much details on the scrimmage except that we did ok and won 10-7 in the 2 quarter timed portion of the scrimmage. We have a hard time with Magnolia over the last two years dropping both contest against them.

I prefer MSNBC. Who the qb is now is irrelevant to anything I posted about the kid transferring. Just responded to another Crosby poster with what I was told by the guy who I consider the foremost expert on boys athletics in BH at the job. I doubt TW even entertains the idea of another qb if he’s excited about what he already has, but that’s just my opinion.

Underclassmen qbs for BH have been beating Crosby, they’re 2-7 their last nine tries on varsity. Had Howard not torn his ACL I think that’s 1-8, but again that’s just my opinion. 

36 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

What? Hair is still an issue in 2020? 

IDK about 2020? It was in some places in 2019 though. It wouldn’t have applied to this kid though, he has relatively short hair from what I’ve seen. I was told his dad just changed his mind after hearing about it. Could’ve very well been other factors also, that’s just the only one I was told. 

17 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I prefer MSNBC. Who the qb is now is irrelevant to anything I posted about the kid transferring. Just responded to another Crosby poster with what I was told by the guy who I consider the foremost expert on boys athletics in BH at the job. I doubt TW even entertains the idea of another qb if he’s excited about what he already has, but that’s just my opinion.

Underclassmen qbs for BH have been beating Crosby, they’re 2-7 their last nine tries on varsity. Had Howard not torn his ACL I think that’s 1-8, but again that’s just my opinion. 

I didn’t say all underclass QB’s just this one and 9 years ago don’t matter, but I guess you could argue 2 years are relevant and BH is 2-0 :)

glad the smack is back:)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 2:24 PM, Cougar14.2 said:

1. Crosby - Brings back all starters at the offensive skill positions. Lost three very key pieces on the defensive side of the ball but if we can improve overall in the secondary I expect this team to be playing in December. 

2. PN-G - Like what they have coming back In the QB. Even with a third place finish they’ll have a good chance to get to the third round with Manvel out of the district. I’m not a huge believer in the potential second round opponents A&M-C/Huntsville after how they were hit by graduation this past year. 

3. Barbers Hill - Lost the bell cow in Kaopua and their first FBS signee who was instrumental in grading the way for him, Casey Collier. Heard that Westeberg has another transfer qb coming in to take over the starting job instead of the kid who was put in at the end of the Manvel game. Not sure of the grade or eligibility status so I guess we’ll see. 

4. Kingwood Park - 4 of their 5 losses last year were by 28+ points so it feels wrong to put them here but they did beat PAM and they have a returning qb. No matter the district KP usually finds a way to back in the playoffs. I like their chances a little more than Nederland’s.

5. Nederland - I think you’re going to need to score this year in the district and I think Ned will have the worst offense of these top 5 teams. I really like a couple of the skill guys the have returning but I don’t honk it’s enough to keep them from going from 4th to 5th with the addition of KP.

6. Dayton - First year head coach who I really, really think is the man for Dayton as long as he’s given free range over staff hires. They’re going to ruin someone’s season this year and I hope it isn’t Crosby’s. Watch out if their participation rates jump back to where they were this season during the Stewart era, they might still be in he mix for a playoff spot in late October. 

7. Texas City - Maybe they flip flop with Dayton but I don’t see anything you can point to as a legitimate argument to move them up. They were outscored  313-122 and will be breaking in a new starter at qb. Coach Surovik’s teams have been grinders since he took over but he’s been a little short on talent lately. 

8. Santa Fe - As long as they don’t have another school shooting to galvanize them they’re right back here where you normally find them in the football standings. 

I figured since the four playoff teams have “should win” games this week we can review this preseason thread. Swap BH and PNG it looks right. Long as BH handles their business the rest of the year that game between KP and Ned should be a play in. One thing I did miss on was Dayton. They’re going to be able to see them all for the third year in a row. Hopefully the participation level goes up for coach Ware in the coming seasons.

Just some “All-Star” break observations:

1. Crosby looks to be back on track under coach Prieto. We still have a lot of deficiencies but coach is proving that if given the players he can mitigate some of them as a good coach should. 

2. BH is starting to look the part annually. I think they’re the small 5A version of Deer Park with a little Cy-Fair mixed in. With the way Mont Belvieu is growing BH is in a very good place to continue their upward trajectory. When the school board pays the head coach $160k you would think you may want that trajectory to be slightly more vertical? 

3. Mid-county is in the middle of the district. They went 0-4 against 1942 last year and may do so again this year? This may become a theme(🤞🏾) if they don’t produce more kids like RJ and Deshawn Washington, I mean even your Rose and Seay type kids are becoming more sparse. 

4. If far away is a couple of years then Dayton may still be around the corner from that. Dayton is probably close to an HISD level participation rate? BH did it with money, Crosby did it with a search committee, Dayton did it at the sale barn. I think you see where a handshake hire like Nations may have a multi-year impact.

5. Really expected the district to be better this year. Thought we would get a little more from KP and Texas City? Still in good shape to get three teams through to the bi-district round though.