Predictions: PN-G at Silsbee

Reagan

Silsbee does pre-season as well as any team in the area, perhaps better. And the same thing happens every year: Silsbee plays a tough pre-season schedule, loses a few games to teams from bigger schools or to a highly-ranked team from their classification, and the consensus becomes, "Silsbee is weak this year." Then they tear through district (West Orange being the sole real roadblock) and get into playoffs. Last year Silsbee looked weak at the beginning, then it turned out they were one of the best in the state. 

The point in mentioning this is, win or lose against PNG, Silsbee is building a playoff team, not necessarily an "undefeated regular season" team. If I was a Silsbee fan, I wouldn't even worry about the PNG game. Silsbee is playing bigger, deeper teams to get ready for a long playoff season. 

I predict PNG wins handily. I'm thinking something like a 17-point win. Not because Silsbee is bad, but because PNG is usually a bad matchup for Silsbee (13-0 in the last 25 years). This makes sense, as PNG has something like 800 more students than Silsbee. Schematically, I think a run-heavy offense is easier to cover than a well-run spread (unless the running team has enormous size and speed -- Silsbee has some good size and some good speed. But unless they are fast and big like Marshall, who destroyed PNG on the ground in the playoffs last year, Silsbee isn't going to breeze past or over PNG). So PNG will be able to put up a lot of points while containing Silsbee enough to stay ahead. 

Even with the weakest team PNG has had (2012) in the past twenty years, PNG managed to beat Silsbee by one point. Silsbee had a decent playoff run that year, with a QB who went on to play some D1 (Patrick Reed, right?). When PNG has been a reasonably good team (decent in 2013 and good in 2016 and 2018), PNG has scored easily and often against Sislbee and played defense well-enough to survive vigorous comeback attempts (Even with Calvin Tyler putting up something close to 300 yards against us in 2016). 

4 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Silsbee does pre-season as well as any team in the area, perhaps better. And the same thing happens every year: Silsbee plays a tough pre-season schedule, loses a few games to teams from bigger schools or to a highly-ranked team from their classification, and the consensus becomes, "Silsbee is weak this year." Then they tear through district (West Orange being the sole real roadblock) and get into playoffs. Last year Silsbee looked weak at the beginning, then it turned out they were one of the best in the state. 

The point in mentioning this is, win or lose against PNG, Silsbee is building a playoff team, not necessarily an "undefeated regular season" team. If I was a Silsbee fan, I wouldn't even worry about the PNG game. Silsbee is playing bigger, deeper teams to get ready for a long playoff season. 

I predict PNG wins handily. I'm thinking something like a 17-point win. Not because Silsbee is bad, but because PNG is usually a bad matchup for Silsbee (13-0 in the last 25 years). This makes sense, as PNG has something like 800 more students than Silsbee. Schematically, I think a run-heavy offense is easier to cover than a well-run spread (unless the running team has enormous size and speed -- Silsbee has some good size and some good speed. But unless they are fast and big like Marshall, who destroyed PNG on the ground in the playoffs last year, Silsbee isn't going to breeze past or over PNG). So PNG will be able to put up a lot of points while containing Silsbee enough to stay ahead. 

Even with the weakest team PNG has had (2012) in the past twenty years, PNG managed to beat Silsbee by one point. Silsbee had a decent playoff run that year, with a QB who went on to play some D1 (Patrick Reed, right?). When PNG has been a reasonably good team (decent in 2013 and good in 2016 and 2018), PNG has scored easily and often against Sislbee and played defense well-enough to survive vigorous comeback attempts (Even with Calvin Tyler putting up something close to 300 yards against us in 2016). 

Excellent post with some very good information!

24 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

Until QB battle is settled fully the game is PNGs.

Briscoe pushing hard but still Foster's to lose.

Lol.  Yall really making this into a battle..  this is why Silsbee will come out the gate better in O.  Because you know what you get and know what he can do.  And just like I've explained many times before, experience.   Production on the big stage (Foster has done this 5 rounds in the playoffs) .  Like I've said, in my eyes, it's a no brainer.  

Thinking back, Some of the Silsbee  faithful  thought the Calvin Tyler and Adonis Thomas  position was a battle and gave Coach Smith a  hard time when naming the starter Tyler...  I just question the thought process sometimes of the people from Smoketown...

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Lol.  Yall really making this into a battle..  this is why Silsbee will come out the gate better in O.  Because you know what you get and know what he can do.  And just like I've explained many times before, experience.   Production on the big stage (Foster has done this 5 rounds in the playoffs) .  Like I've said, in my eyes, it's a no brainer.  

Thinking back, Some of the Silsbee  faithful  thought the Calvin Tyler and Adonis Thomas  position was a battle and gave Coach Smith a  hard time when naming the starter Tyler...  I just question the thought process sometimes of the people from Smoketown...

Looking at my statement in a negative way Soulja...

I personally think it’s a good thing.  

Do I think the position is in jeopardy?  No.

Do I think it matters that a Foster has shown some struggles? Yes.

Do I think it pushes Foster to take the next step? Yes.

My “thought process” is one that I don’t believe it will sink in til after the PNG game.

Though, I am hopeful.

jmo

5 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Good post I really don’t think Silsbee will win. Might be closer game then last year. I was just trying to boost egos. LCM did beat y’all in 2012 and in 2013 in district play. Good luck

53 minutes ago, LC-M said:

Good post I really don’t think Silsbee will win. Might be closer game then last year. I was just trying to boost egos. LCM did beat y’all in 2012 and in 2013 in district play. Good luck

LCM beat the snot out of us in 2013. I don't remember the score from 2012, because everyone beat us except for Lumberton and Silsbee. I do remember the 2013 loss. LCM was good that year. The playoff dark horse of the district. Ya'll took the fourth spot, I think. 

1 minute ago, Rez Ipsa said:

LCM beat the snot out of us in 2013. I don't remember the score from 2012, because everyone beat us except for Lumberton and Silsbee. I do remember the 2013 loss. LCM was good that year. The playoff dark horse of the district. Ya'll took the fourth spot, I think. 

I think 3rd. I thought y’all were 4th. That was the last year we were in 5a. Because I believe Dayton was the second seed. 

1 hour ago, Silsbee92 said:

My “thought process” is one that I don’t believe it will sink in til after the PNG game.

Though, I am hopeful.

jmo

Understood...

7 hours ago, Silsbee92 said:

Though, I am hopeful.

jmo

Did not see 2nd scrimmage, but Foster played better than you think. Receivers doing there own thing and not running there proper routes, makes QB look worse than it should. Against Vidor receiver taking wrong angle on screens, you can see on film ,twice should have been touchdown. Just youth, will get better.

Been told Briscoe is a defensive starter, so that should settle your QB debate, for now

12 hours ago, Silsbee92 said:

Until QB battle is settled fully the game is PNGs.

Briscoe pushing hard but still Foster's to lose.

Speaking honestly, Foster got the QB spot last year because they had no one else. The fight between the two families about their sons being QB( when one didn’t even want the position he was forced to play the position and later when he stood up for himself he was made a third string RB)   Briscoe is the better QB. They know it. Silsbee’s problem is they don’t know how to utilize the kids that are better than the upperclassmen at their position. That’s why they will always be struggling to rebuild when they have graduates. So what if he is a sophomore. He is the better QB. If they can’t see it. That’s their loss. 

57 minutes ago, Broncos2447 said:

Yes, briscoe will no doubt be the better QB once they both reach their senior year, but is he better than Foster now, to give them the best chance to win, NOW. That's the question. 

That's  a question that whoever has followed the program for the last couple of years can clearly see...

2 hours ago, KB24 said:

Speaking honestly, Foster got the QB spot last year because they had no one else. The fight between the two families about their sons being QB( when one didn’t even want the position he was forced to play the position and later when he stood up for himself he was made a third string RB)   Briscoe is the better QB. They know it. Silsbee’s problem is they don’t know how to utilize the kids that are better than the upperclassmen at their position. That’s why they will always be struggling to rebuild when they have graduates. So what if he is a sophomore. He is the better QB. If they can’t see it. That’s their loss. 

Lol.  There was NO fighting between families.  Lol.

Johnson was the starting QB last year.  Is that who  you're talking about?  If so, did you see those first two games that he started?  Did you like the offensive prodiction?

Not taking anything away from the Sophmore, but a betting man would roll with EXPERIENCE  and RESULTS. Still don't understand how this is still even a debate.

Their loss?  Better QB?  Too many unanswered questions for anyone to make a bold statement like that.  That kid has not even played a down of varsity football.

You're trippin for real.  

I hate I'll miss the game this Friday,  but I do plan on the next game vs. Newton...

53 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Lol.  There was NO fighting between families.  Lol.

Johnson was the starting QB last year.  Is that who  you're talking about?  If so, did you see those first two games that he started?  Did you like the offensive prodiction?

Not taking anything away from the Sophmore, but a betting man would roll with EXPERIENCE  and RESULTS. Still don't understand how this is still even a debate.

Their loss?  Better QB?  Too many unanswered questions for anyone to make a bold statement like that.  That kid has not even played a down of varsity football.

You're trippin for real.  

I hate I'll miss the game this Friday,  but I do plan on the next game vs. Newton...

There was fighting between families last year just the way he said it. And it got physical " And the UIL got involved because one of the families daughters witch was a Cheerleader come running and started helping her side out she got kicked off the Cheer squad. Neither of the players where involved. 

35 minutes ago, Who That said:

There was fighting between families last year just the way he said it. And it got physical " And the UIL got involved because one of the families daughters witch was a Cheerleader come running and started helping her side out she got kicked off the Cheer squad. Neither of the players where involved. 

Had no bearing on football players or any action on the football field.  Irrelevant  information,  football wise...