West Orange-Stark forfeits district games

4 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Thanks for the info.  Makes a lot more sense how this can occur.  Student should have known regardless.  I would say there should be some direct reporting of failures from teacher to coach but my understanding is this is the system everyone uses.  Coach pops on the computer for each players grades and checks to ensure they’re passing.  Technology will be the death of us all...

I agree completely.  All students, especially in such a small population as a basketball team, require close scrutiny of the grades to ensure eligilbity. At risk students, which I think we can probably all agree the particular student was, certainly require closer watching. 

That didn't happen and the price has been paid..

10 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Not understanding this one. I don’t have a beef either way but how can you use an ineligible player if it happened and then have a decision reversed?

Quite frankly.  I am as surprised as you at this decision.  I thought the rule was crystal clear, you use an ineligible player, you forfeit.  The level of knowledge or lack thereof of the ineligibility was irrelevant.  I am as anxious as you to see what factor took the UIL off of that.

7 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Quite frankly.  I am as surprised as you at this decision.  I thought the rule was crystal clear, you use an ineligible player, you forfeit.  The level of knowledge or lack thereof of the ineligibility was irrelevant.  I am as anxious as you to see what factor took the UIL off of that.

That’s my only question.  

3 minutes ago, wosfan1992 said:

Left the school earlier and come to find out the player was never even failing.  Grade actually wasn't close to failing just the computer system messed him all up. 

That would explain it.  Just couldn’t understand how they would revers a situation if an ineligible player was used.

7 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

That's weird.... I use a computer to do all of my math for me.  

It's never made a mistake yet. 

Sounds like somebody got reminded that the education system is here to support the athletic programs... not the other way around. 

I've always wonder why during football season, so many JV players become ineligible when grades come out, but no varsity players.  Guess I didn't understand the "rules".  

8 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

That's weird.... I use a computer to do all of my math for me.  

It's never made a mistake yet. 

Sounds like somebody got reminded that the education system is here to support the athletic programs... not the other way around. 

Nope, this is what really happened:

This is the hidden content, please

Of course, it appears that the Silsbee girls got some good news, too.

I know that some both in Orange and Silsbee will say "All's well that ends well" but I don't really feel that way.  The fact that Silsbee and West Orange-Stark, 1/3 of the current make up of this district and probably the most high profile schools in that district, have systems that leave that much uncertainty in how their students' grades are reported is a bit unsettling.

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

I know that some both in Orange and Silsbee will say "All's well that ends well" but I don't really feel that way.  The fact that Silsbee and West Orange-Stark, 1/3 of the current make up of this district and probably the most high profile schools in that district, have systems that leave that much uncertainty in how their students' grades are reported is a bit unsettling.

At best.   At worst, you get a reaction like CardinalBackers, which in truth, is not an uncommon or even unfair reaction.  

It is bit incredible that not one, but two schools self-report a violation, go to DEC, and then on appeal to UIL discover it was merely a clerical error.  But assuming that is the case, it is even more incredible that a simple explanation such as a miscalculation of a grade wouldn’t have been discovered at the infancy of the process.  It’s not that difficult to add and divide, especially for an “educator.”

But regardless, I struggle with the whole forfeiture situation to begin with because the majority of those who are penalized (i.e., all but one kid on each of the teams) share no culpability and receive the brunt of the penalty.  So in the end, some WOS boys and Silsbee girls who worked hard and did nothing wrong didn’t have something taken away from them that they earned.  The whole thing smells but I can take solace in that.