Hamshire-Fannett 7 Bridge City 3/FINAL

WOSgrad

3 hours ago, HOTROD309 said:

Well isn't that twice that's happened?? Maybe back off the plate a little ... JS 

Only happened once to this kid.  He fouled the previous pitch off with 2 strikes, so why not call it then.  Why wait until a base hit?

Why not call the the game by the rules....JS

3 hours ago, Critter said:

Chalk the boxes... Problem solved hopefully. 

Doesn't solve the problem.  That line is gone very early in the game.

Problem is that umpires do not know the rule. You could have the heal of your foot on the chalk and as long as your foot is not on the plate, you are still considered in the box.  With any normal size foot, its impossible to be completely outside the lines and not be on the plate.

1 hour ago, BS Wildcats said:

Why is the ump watching the feet instead of the ball?  If batter took the pitch, how would he know if it was a ball or a strike?

some of the fans were griping about the catcher making the call, so I'm assuming that the HF catcher noticed it on his previous swing and alerted the umpire (which is great catching, IMO)

8 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

some of the fans were griping about the catcher making the call, so I'm assuming that the HF catcher noticed it on his previous swing and alerted the umpire (which is great catching, IMO)

But its the wrong call, according to the rule book

2 minutes ago, BC87 said:

But its the wrong call, according to the rule book

I keep hearing this, and it may be correct, but since nobody was actually watching his feet except for the umpire and the catcher, it's kinda hard for me to understand how you guys know exactly what he did or didn't do.  either way, if nothing else, it balanced out the run that HF lost when their runner clearly beat out an infield single that would've scored a run, but instead was called out to end the 2nd. 

8 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I keep hearing this, and it may be correct, but since nobody was actually watching his feet except for the umpire and the catcher, it's kinda hard for me to understand how you guys know exactly what he did or didn't do.  either way, if nothing else, it balanced out the run that HF lost when their runner clearly beat out an infield single that would've scored a run, but instead was called out to end the 2nd. 

2017 NFHS Baseball Rule Book, Rule 7, Section 3, Art 2 states "Hit the ball while either foot or knee is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batters box or touching home plate."

Since you cannot be completely outside the lines of the batters box and not touch home plate, there is no way he should have been called out.  Not to mention both of those individuals should be watching the ball, and therefore cant see the feet.  

19 minutes ago, BC87 said:

2017 NFHS Baseball Rule Book, Rule 7, Section 3, Art 2 states "Hit the ball while either foot or knee is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batters box or touching home plate."

Since you cannot be completely outside the lines of the batters box and not touch home plate, there is no way he should have been called out.  Not to mention both of those individuals should be watching the ball, and therefore cant see the feet.  

unless you're standing in the back half of the batter's box.  there's more than enough room to put a whole foot out of the box back there without touching home plate. 

9 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

unless you're standing in the back half of the batter's box.  there's more than enough room to put a whole foot out of the box back there without touching home plate. 

True, but this is not what was called in this instance.  It is about the inside line.  the inside line is 6 inches from the edge of home plate.

As I have stated many times, you cannot be completely outside the chalk and not be on home plate from inside.

38 minutes ago, BC87 said:

True, but this is not what was called in this instance.  It is about the inside line.  the inside line is 6 inches from the edge of home plate.

As I have stated many times, you cannot be completely outside the chalk and not be on home plate from inside.

You can't step across the inside line behind the plate?  Or even at the back of the plate, where there's much more than 6 inches?

2 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

You can't step across the inside line behind the plate?  

You can, but not where is foot is.  Were you not at the game last night?  Based on the call last night, his foot would have to be on home plate for him to be completely outside of the chalk. Period

7 minutes ago, BC87 said:

You can, but not where is foot is.  Were you not at the game last night?  Based on the call last night, his foot would have to be on home plate for him to be completely outside of the chalk. Period

I was at the game.  I wasn't watching his feet.  If he was set up at the back of the plate his foot would not have to be on home plate to be completely out of the chalk.  There's plenty of no-mans land back there.  

47 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I was at the game.  I wasn't watching his feet.  If he was set up at the back of the plate his foot would not have to be on home plate to be completely out of the chalk.  There's plenty of no-mans land back there.  

thats not where it is located.  It is a "point 2"

4 hours ago, bullets13 said:

You just made my point.  You were watching the ball, not the foot.....

3 hours ago, BC87 said:

You just made my point.  You were watching the ball, not the foot.....

But with all you know about it it would seem you were watching his feet, since you know with certainty he did nothing wrong.  It's really a moot point.  HF lost a run to a bad call as well, and the winning margin was large enough that I don't think the play would've had much of an impact on the final outcome.  

Edited by bullets13

9 hours ago, bullets13 said:

But with all you know about it it would seem you were watching his feet, since you know with certainty he did nothing wrong.  It's really a moot point.  HF lost a run to a bad call as well, and the winning margin was large enough that I don't think the play would've had much of an impact on the final outcome.  

I don't think that it made a difference in the game either.  I am merely voicing the fact that the umpires are not calling this correctly by the rules.  I wasn't watching his feet either (honestly no one is), but I know where he puts them on that count which gives me the certainty that he did nothing wrong.

you keep saying that they lost a run on a bang bang call at first base.  I agree it could have gone either way, but the back pick was also missed that allowed a run to score.  You can beat those to death.

Fact is, umpires in this area do not know the rules in regards to the batters box.

3 hours ago, JWB said:

the stepping on the plate call has been called in three different BC games...its obvious the umpires are watching it.....

That is not what this call was.  He was not called out for being on the plate.

I agree they are watching it, but they need to know the rule if they are going to call it because the way they call it is not the rule.

Image result for batter's box dimensions  

What I have seen this year is batters trying to be closer to the plate than the 6"s where the chalk is drawn. Batter must not have any part of his feet outside the chalk line at the time of the pitch. To be out for contacting the ball out of the box, the whole foot must be outside the chalk. Some fields do not mark the inside line of the batters box. If they do not then it is left up to umpires discretion. 

I was not at that game so I will not comment. I do know that the local chapter has ask for a few rule interpretations from the experts at the state and national levels as to better educate the members.