Silsbee 81 Hardin-Jefferson 51/FINAL

WOSgrad

9 hours ago, ST413 said:

I agree with what bullets has said as well, except for a minor thing.  We didn't really move up to 4A,  they just changed the 3A label to 4A.   Those houston schools have dropped their numbers to our classification.  

that's correct.  it just seemed like their doing so correlated with the change in the classification system. 

HISD schools have had lower classification enrollments for several, several years. The admin had them always playing up to keep the schools in the same district. Now that most if not all have 4A enrollments, they allowed them to drop down, still keeping the schools in the same district.

I do understand what you are saying. A 700 enrollment at a Silsbee or HJ maybe isn't the same as a 700 enrollment at Yates or Wheatley.

20 hours ago, Lazeek said:

I've refrained from responding, but I'll throw this out there.  This is the best overall team that I've ever seen silsbee have.  The depth is incredible.  And for not being a big team they rebound very well.  Good things in the near future I would assume.  However I think that if silsbee doesn't win it this year that they may never win it all.  Key players on this team graduate this year in McCain, Newton, Harris, Jones, Barnes and Tyler.  Those 6 will be hard to replace. As far as the series with HJ goes it has lost its thunder a bit.  HJ will be back.  Some great kids in the system coming up.  And more size than HJ has ever had.  But if we are going to bring records up since they were both in the same district only one matters......1-0!

As much as I hate to agree with HJ fans during this particular time and space warp, 1-0 is all that matters. 

19 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Maybe this best describes this rivalry now:

Does the small circle represent rings?

Seriously though, this Silsbee team is very talented and deep. They should be able to get to the Championship game again. Key word is SHOULD. There have been some crazy things happen over the years with very talented Silsbee teams.

The only problem I see with teams like Silsbee is the fact that they win a vast majority of their games (until deep in the playoffs) by running and overwhelming teams with less athleticism.  I'm not saying that they don't have good basketball players, or that they aren't a good team.  I'm just saying that I think the days of winning state titles by overpowering opponents with speed are dwindling.  There will always be a team that you just won't beat by doing that because they are just good basketball players.  I would take a good half court defense with players that are very good with the ball on the offensive end over a team that averages 100 points a game by forcing turnovers any day.

18 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

The only problem I see with teams like Silsbee is the fact that they win a vast majority of their games (until deep in the playoffs) by running and overwhelming teams with less athleticism.  I'm not saying that they don't have good basketball players, or that they aren't a good team.  I'm just saying that I think the days of winning state titles by overpowering opponents with speed are dwindling.  There will always be a team that you just won't beat by doing that because they are just good basketball players.  I would take a good half court defense with players that are very good with the ball on the offensive end over a team that averages 100 points a game by forcing turnovers any day.

In this particular game, Silsbee never full court pressed and won by 30 over HJ.

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

In this particular game, Silsbee never full court pressed and won by 30 over HJ.

That's good.  I personally think that the less they play that style of ball the better they'll be down the road.  My point remains, though.  To win a state championship you need to be able to stop people and score in a halfcourt setting.   Not score mainly off steals and easy buckets.  I have no doubt in their ability to defend people.  

I didn't watch the game, nor have I seen Silsbee play this year.  I'm speculating off of previous seasons.

By the way...I figured I'd get a response out of you.

13 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

That's good.  I personally think that the less they play that style of ball the better they'll be down the road.  My point remains, though.  To win a state championship you need to be able to stop people and score in a halfcourt setting.   Not score mainly off steals and easy buckets.  I have no doubt in their ability to defend people.  

I didn't watch the game, nor have I seen Silsbee play this year.  I'm speculating off of previous seasons.

By the way...I figured I'd get a response out of you.

Silsbee is a MUCH more half court oriented team this season. They have had to be with the schedule they have played. Hard to press those top 6A teams the way they could most 4A teams.  Now that district is here, I'm sure they will work on the press a little.

1 hour ago, Kountzer said:

barring the unforeseen the next big game will be Yates.

I agree completely.  

The Houston school are, by and large, way down.  The reverse argument could be made; the introduction of more private, Prep, and homeschool teams make the Houston schools weaker than a rural school of the same size.  Wheatley, for instance, would arguably at least have the most talented starting 5 in the region if all who lived there and started HS there remained.  They maybe have one of those kids left.  

Yates could be a significant hurdle.  They would have the most athletic kid on the floor who will also be a few inches taller than any Silsbee kid. And the Hughes kid has come into his own and is really playing well, leading the Lions in scoring.  They have enough to complement those two that they won't be a pushover.  Silsbee would definitely be favored but they will have to be ready to play.