Vidor 31 Port Arthur Memorial 21/FINAL

WOSgrad

5 minutes ago, pirate68 said:

Fumbles helped but Vidor still had to turn those in to points.. I think the onside kick with 8 minutes left was the momentum swing Vidor needed in the 2nd half. Memorial had just closed to within 3 points after getting the ball from vidor on downs scored quickly had all the momentum tried the kick and kicked it out of bounds putting there defense right back out there on a short field.

Huh? You mean to tell me after being down 21-0 and coming back they chose to do an onside kick when their defense had only allowed 3 points in the second half?  I guess I have to read the whole thread now. 

4 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Huh? You mean to tell me after being down 21-0 and coming back they chose to do an onside kick when their defense had only allowed 3 points in the second half?  I guess I have to read the whole thread now. 

Yep. Vidor took over at the Memorial 45 and turned it into 7 about 6 plays later. 

28 minutes ago, jagdad said:

Good game Pirates but on TV I saw Mr. Hubble, RB,  say they expected to win due to PAM not being discipline, wonder what he meant, I wasn't there?

wow!! since hes a running back I would assume he talking about there defense being disciplined in not over pursuing, staying in there gap etc.. you have to be disciplined to stop vidors offense.. Memorial didn't stay disciplined in stopping Humble since he put 211 on them.. NEXT!

7 minutes ago, Piratediehard said:

wow!! since hes a running back I would assume he talking about there defense being disciplined in not over pursuing, staying in there gap etc.. you have to be disciplined to stop vidors offense.. Memorial didn't stay disciplined in stopping Humble since he put 211 on them.. NEXT!

What a lot of people aren't getting about us is that we have four great running backs this year:

Leckelt, Humble, Quirante and Stogner at FB. Each one of them can break it to the end zone at any time. The prediction was that we wouldn't make it to the endzone if we broke free. They did manage to catch Colby at the 5 on the one he broke loose from the 40 on but he put it in two plays later. Next week it could be any one of the four horsemen that carry the team. Best all around offense I've ever seen us have. Very balanced. Tough. Yards they gain after the initial hit.

8 minutes ago, robanadana said:

It's called getting hit...you'll find out Thursday night.

We'll see. You been licking all over Marte Allison all year saying stuff like "I think he's on of the best backs in Texas". Well, he had 17 carries for 24 yards last night. Crosby did a lot of hitting themselves. 

I believe it was Vince Lombardi who said: "Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man.  Sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can."

On paper, Memorial was bigger, faster and stronger. They are a VERY good team with a ton of talent!  If this game is played 10 times, Memorial might win the next 9.  But to Coach Matthews credit and his coaching staff, he has his players believing they can beat any team on any given night.  And that's what it is all about.  Hopefully, the PA kids bounce back from this and put it on NC Porter next week.   

Memorial fans, don't be too hard on your coach.  He is a good man who has the best interest of the kids in mind.  It looks like he is doing a good job of helping raise some good young men who will be productive members of society and that's what's most important.  And he has got them playing some damn good football too.  Take the loss, learn from it and move on.  But don't blame it on the coach.  The kids see and hear that mess and that only hurts them.  Good luck next week.

Gotta give Vidor credit! I never thought ya'll had a chance against PAM's defense. That's what I love about sports, anything can happen on any given night. Tonight was your night like Matthews said on the news. Said if they played Memorial 10 times they would probally lose 9 of them. What a great team effort to take it to Memorial. Your defense forced them into turnovers so nothing was giving to you. I would assume Crosby will have a similar team to Memorial so hopefully your guys are ready for another big upset. Great job Pirates and good luck in the playoffs!

1 hour ago, jagdad said:

Good game Pirates but on TV I saw Mr. Hubble, RB,  say they expected to win due to PAM not being discipline, wonder what he meant, I wasn't there?

As I posted several times earlier in this thread, the PAM's defensive speed worked against them somewhat.  The Slot T demands you stay at home.  If you run a 4.5, and use to reacting, it's hard to stand there and hold your ground.  Other O's you can key on one or two ball carriers and attack.  That's what PAM is use to doing, reacting, and it works against today's O's.  It just doesn't work against the Slot T dinosaur.  

38 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

We'll see. You been licking all over Marte Allison all year saying stuff like "I think he's on of the best backs in Texas". Well, he had 17 carries for 24 yards last night. Crosby did a lot of hitting themselves. 

2 pass attempts - 57 rushing attempts last night kitty 14.2 - Can't get more unbalanced than that! Figure that out stat boy!

46 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I still think that but I'm not a spread offense guy. Blocking geared for passing and not running. Wish we had Marte as a Pirate. He would have 2500 yds this year. Funny how the winning teams in the NFL are getting back to running the football. If your defense is geared against a spread offense hard to make the swap to old school running. PAM's defense was doing the same with a ton of talent, shutting down PNG and the like. Discipline on defense killed them. And, we're not as slow as you all wanna think. I like our chances to make the end zone when one of our kids break free. BTW, I believe Elijah Hines had 57 yds last night. He was on the ground a lot.

4 minutes ago, REBgp said:

As I posted several times earlier in this thread, the PAM's defensive speed worked against them somewhat.  The Slot T demands you stay at home.  If you run a 4.5, and use to reacting, it's hard to stand there and hold your ground.  Other O's you can key on one or two ball carriers and attack.  That's what PAM is use to doing, reacting, and it works against today's O's.  It just doesn't work against the Slot T dinosaur.  

It actually boils down to what the kid said, discipline.   If you have superior talent and stay disciplined, it's tough to make much hay with It.  I have yet to see a team even compete with WOS running it because they have better horses and are EXTREMELY well coached.  BC runs it as well as anyone (obviously) and OF runs it well too.  Both of their scores against WOS was 50+ to 0.  I think it is a great offense when you are outhorsed though due to ball control and taking neutralizing speed.  It's too one dimensional to beat teams like WOS but it might keep it closer than if you tried to spread the field with them despite not being near as talented. 

As for Memorial, that may be the most "talented" defense I've seen all year.  Not sure this team had seen this offense before this game and it sounds like the Pirates ran it to perfection.   

47 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Yep, the Coogs did some hitting, on that one back.  I've no doubt PAM would shut him  down also.  Key on him and use speed.  Can't do that with Vidor.  The Pirates have four studs, and a great offensive line.

I wish no one else would adopt our offense and Jeff would quit teaching it to other coaches. Period. Last year, I watched Brock win a state championship running the wishbone. It was fun to watch. They would run the same disciplined, power sweep over and over and Cameron Yoe had no answer for it. We ran something similar last night and it sprung Kolbie and Haylon a couple of times. Running football = tired defense in fourth qtr. = victory. You could see PAM sagging after they made their comeback in the fourth. It takes its' toll.