Vidor 31 Port Arthur Memorial 21/FINAL

WOSgrad

28 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

It actually boils down to what the kid said, discipline.   If you have superior talent and stay disciplined, it's tough to make much hay with It.  I have yet to see a team even compete with WOS running it because they have better horses and are EXTREMELY well coached.  BC runs it as well as anyone (obviously) and OF runs it well too.  Both of their scores against WOS was 50+ to 0.  I think it is a great offense when you are outhorsed though due to ball control and taking neutralizing speed.  It's too one dimensional to beat teams like WOS but it might keep it closer than if you tried to spread the field with them despite not being near as talented. 

As for Memorial, that may be the most "talented" defense I've seen all year.  Not sure this team had seen this offense before this game and it sounds like the Pirates ran it to perfection.   

I know I'm gonna get called out and yelled at but I would still like to see us play WOS. I believe we would give y'all a great game. The offense still works if you're team is disciplined and you have the athletes. We have the best running back in Vidor history, another Quirante, a kid who just put up 200 on PAM, a mean monster at fullback and some really unsung heroes on the O-line. We give up a few big plays but most teams can't run on us, our defense is pretty salty and really improved on pass coverage. Let's revive the rivalry coaches!

22 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

It actually boils down to what the kid said, discipline.   If you have superior talent and stay disciplined, it's tough to make much hay with It.  I have yet to see a team even compete with WOS running it because they have better horses and are EXTREMELY well coached.  BC runs it as well as anyone (obviously) and OF runs it well too.  Both of their scores against WOS was 50+ to 0.  I think it is a great offense when you are outhorsed though due to ball control and taking neutralizing speed.  It's too one dimensional to beat teams like WOS but it might keep it closer than if you tried to spread the field with them despite not being near as talented. 

As for Memorial, that may be the most "talented" defense I've seen all year.  Not sure this team had seen this offense before this game and it sounds like the Pirates ran it to perfection.   

Exactly, PAM hasn't seen it.  I'm confident if they stay in 22-5A next realignment, they'll learn/adjust to it.  WOS faces it numerous times a year.  They know to stay at home, or, to be disciplined.  What you may not be aware of, and I don't know why, the word "discipline" has come to have racial connotations on this Forum.  I just hope the poster didn't have that in mind when he mentioned what the Vidor RB said, because I'd stake my life on the comment being literally, discipline.  I'd hate that someone might construe it in any other way.

16 minutes ago, robanadana said:

I still think that but I'm not a spread offense guy. Blocking geared for passing and not running. Wish we had Marte as a Pirate. He would have 2500 yds this year. Funny how the winning teams in the NFL are getting back to running the football. If your defense is geared against a spread offense hard to make the swap to old school running. PAM's defense was doing the same with a ton of talent, shutting down PNG and the like. Discipline on defense killed them. And, we're not as slow as you all wanna think. I like our chances to make the end zone when one of our kids break free.

Port Lavaca fans were saying the same thing about Crosby not being physical enough or not being able to play assignment football against their slot-t. They ended up with 7 offensive points after making us drive all the way to San Antonio to play them. Assignment defense is night and day from what it was then.

Matchup wise if you want to play in a phone booth like Vidor does, that's actually playing to Crosby's defensive strengths. I also think the way our o-line has come together we'll be able to line up and run the ball very effectively ourselves. Grace had over 100 yards to Allison's 24. I just think in the end Vidor gets out-physicaled trying to out-physical Crosby.

3 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Port Lavaca fans were saying the same thing about Crosby not being physical enough or not being able to play assignment football against their slot-t. They ended up with 7 offensive points after making us drive all the way to San Antonio to play them. Assignment defense is night and day from what it was then.

Matchup wise if you want to play in a phone booth like Vidor does, that's actually playing to Crosby's defensive strengths. I also think the way our o-line has come together we'll be able to line up and run the ball very effectively ourselves. Grace had over 100 yards to Allison's 24. I just think in the end Vidor gets out-physicaled trying to out-physical Crosby.

Lol, keep'em coming 14.2.  You're bound to get one right someday :) 

5 hours ago, robanadana said:

I know I'm gonna get called out and yelled at but I would still like to see us play WOS. I believe we would give y'all a great game. The offense still works if you're team is disciplined and you have the athletes. We have the best running back in Vidor history, another Quirante, a kid who just put up 200 on PAM, a mean monster at fullback and some really unsung heroes on the O-line. We give up a few big plays but most teams can't run on us, our defense is pretty salty and really improved on pass coverage. Let's revive the rivalry coaches!

I am rooting for the Pirates and am proud of their season.  But I don't think that game would be particularly close.  Ask Nederland.  However, I think Vidor-Bridge City would be a heck of a game. 

7 hours ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

I believe it was Vince Lombardi who said: "Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man.  Sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can."

On paper, Memorial was bigger, faster and stronger. They are a VERY good team with a ton of talent!  If this game is played 10 times, Memorial might win the next 9.  But to Coach Matthews credit and his coaching staff, he has his players believing they can beat any team on any given night.  And that's what it is all about.  Hopefully, the PA kids bounce back from this and put it on NC Porter next week.   

Memorial fans, don't be too hard on your coach.  He is a good man who has the best interest of the kids in mind.  It looks like he is doing a good job of helping raise some good young men who will be productive members of society and that's what's most important.  And he has got them playing some damn good football too.  Take the loss, learn from it and move on.  But don't blame it on the coach.  The kids see and hear that mess and that only hurts them.  Good luck next week.

Just had this very same convo with someone, today. 

7 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Then y'all shouldn't have any problems with Vidor. Vidors players have been told all season by there critics that they are small,weak, and slow. Oh, an they run a gimmick offense. So we shall see.