Adults Obsessed with High School Sports

BADSANTA

17 hours ago, tennisbc said:

My daughter plays softball on a select team and parents are bad at tournaments. 

case in point...not taking anything away from your daughter for she may be the best softball player in east texas, but select ball is a joke Select ball is pretty much "my parents have enough money to pay for me to play ball with other kids whose parents have enough money for them to play.'' Thats "select ball" in a nutshell.

21 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

I have attended several games lately where adults almost come to blows over high school football. It's not like your betting on college or pro ball. It's freaking high school ball. 

You said it right there,  college and pro have become all about money, politics & gambling. It's sickening to me I can't stand to watch it, high school is the only one still pure and hopefully the Uil will stop trying to corrupt it to . 

24 minutes ago, Uncle Pig said:

case in point...not taking anything away from your daughter for she may be the best softball player in east texas, but select ball is a joke Select ball is pretty much "my parents have enough money to pay for me to play ball with other kids whose parents have enough money for them to play.'' Thats "select ball" in a nutshell.

100% true.  Select used to mean that you paid to try out...and only the ones that were selected were able to play.  But like you said, it's become so watered down that it doesn't mean select anymore.  Now it means that if you pay, you play.

It's sad.  When someone tells me their child plays select ball I try my best not to roll my eyes.  I can't guarantee that I won't

And then everyone always says "well our select league isn't like that."  I'm afraid it is.  

11 minutes ago, Back2swag said:

You said it right there,  college and pro have become all about money, politics & gambling. It's sickening to me I can't stand to watch it, high school is the only one still pure and hopefully the Uil will stop trying to corrupt it to . 

I think whoever does the State Funding has already messed up HS sports.  All these kids move around from one school to another, and as I understand it, the schools accept them to get more State money.  Use to be, if you lived in Evadale, and wanted to go to school in Vidor, you had to pay.  Heck, last year, or year before, some school won the State C. in basketball with 5 kids that had just moved to that school.   Then again, maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

10 minutes ago, robanadana said:

If you're on this board and have over 100 posts you're obsessed with high school sports. Pullleaazzzze. There are a heck of a lot worse things to be obsessed over.

Heck, if Vidor beats Ned, I may do a hundred post on that lol

I wouldn't use the word obsessed.  I would use the word SUPPORT.  The athletes playing these games are learning life lessons, and having support for their community, in which they represent, makes the kids feel great.  Teams do not simply represent their high school, but their hometown!  Maybe only competitive people will understand, but in all extra-curricular activities, the students are representing their communities. Players without the support from their community typically lose on and off the field. 

21 hours ago, tennisbc said:

My daughter plays softball on a select team and parents are bad at tournaments. 

My friends that coach tell me horror stories about select team parents that try to take over school teams. I know one coach who took their team to the playoffs every year, but was let go because they got on the wrong side of a group of select team parents that harassed the schools administration until the playoff making coach was removed from their position. 

3 hours ago, Jag Insider said:

I should have went up and met some of you all the other night but i was too disgusted...

Its no problem... I hear a ton of excuses... Everyone is scared to upset Biaplayer... He has been known to act a lil cray cray!!! But in all honesty, you should have.... BG will sit with me at a PNG game, but not at a Central game.... Must be my lack of pigment!!!!!!!!!!!! Or he is scared of Biaplayer going Cray Cray!!

2 hours ago, Stattrax said:

Its no problem... I hear a ton of excuses... Everyone is scared to upset Biaplayer... He has been known to act a lil cray cray!!! But in all honesty, you should have.... BG will sit with me at a PNG game, but not at a Central game.... Must be my lack of pigment!!!!!!!!!!!! Or he is scared of Biaplayer going Cray Cray!!

I got your cray cray boy, keep it up!!! BG isn't scared of me that is the stupidest thing you have said yet lol. That isn't going to get you a like.

I truly love this time of year.  I do not think obsessed is the right word. It is more of a tradition in our

family. I grew up following Silsbee. My Mom & Dad never missed a game.

As I have grown older with kids of my own, and watching them play in HS and 1 in college.

The tradition lives on.

Nothing like Friday Night Lights in Texas!