Adults Obsessed with High School Sports

BADSANTA

I have read thru many blogs including this one and I see some adults who are absolutely obsessed with high school sports. It's all they think, talk, and dream about all day. I'm a big sports fan myself but not obsessed to a point where I almost get into fights at games or get j to arguments on the Internet. I understand when you have a son or family member playing but I'm seeing guys who have non and all they breath is high school sports. There is nothing wrong with following your hometown team but I'm seeing people take it a few steps too far. 

32 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

I have attended several games lately where adults almost come to blows over high school football. It's not like your betting on college or pro ball. It's freaking high school ball. 

That is not due to obsession over high school sports.  That is simply someone who doesn't have the good sense to conduct themselves in public and probably conduct themselves in that way in other facets of their life.

I think this thread should be locked for Biaplayer........... Please do not talk about him like this anymore!! He is a good guy and only beats up people every now and again at a game... And in his defense, when I was caught littering in Chumperton, he took up for me after the pep squad threatened to beat me up!!!

2 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

I think this thread should be locked for Biaplayer........... Please do not talk about him like this anymore!! He is a good guy and only beats up people every now and again at a game... And in his defense, when I was caught littering in Chumperton, he took up for me after the pep squad threatened to beat me up!!!

64025139.jpg

13 minutes ago, chukslegacy said:

Its much worse at the city ballparks, or soccer fields!!

It seems worse the younger the kids get.  College is fine.

High school is terrible.  Subvarsity is worse, junior high gets worse still, youth is a nightmare.  "Daddy ball"...several youth coaches trying to relive glory days through a kid that couldn't care less.  And since they "coached" junior...they think they have a say or an opinion when junior starts playing school ball.  It's turned into such a trainwreck that it's getting sad.

I love HS football....not as much as I USED to, but I love it.....it used to be pure and everyone played for the love of the game.....it used to be my side of town, vs your side of town....east vs west, north vs South...etc.....lots of passion and bragging rights. We could go to the mall, get into with some guys and no one would get shot....it would be "We'll see you on the field"...Today we live in an era where kids feel entitled and parents hover like helicopters...Jr, to them is the best player in the world. Katy has lost a few players so far this season because "daddy thought Jr should be getting more touches" Those who come close to fighting....well, I Think they have other issues. Some of the guys on the 6A board, I have to remind that these are KIDS playing a game.....

I also coached little league football.....NEVER AGAIN.....it was never about the kids...it was about Coach A and Coach B being rivals when they were in HS and wanting to beat each other....it was single mom's looking for father figures.....taking the best players putting at QB, all the others on the Oline so they can meet their quota of playing time...etc...not saying ALL leagues were like that....but I'd never do it again

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

That is not due to obsession over high school sports.  That is simply someone who doesn't have the good sense to conduct themselves in public and probably conduct themselves in that way in other facets of their life.

Yeah I would have to agree. Football is football. Some people enjoy following and watching the NCAA more than the NFL or vice versa, and I think high school fits right in there with that and there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion some people just enjoy watching and keeping up with high school football I don't think you have to actually still be in high school for this to be normal lol. A lot of times people on here when they are in a debate about teams will result to that line when they can't think of anything else they'll just say "well your an old man following high school football" , yes and ??? what is wrong with that lol for someone to be on this site in the first place they must be following high school sports, those old man obsession comments get old, pretty much everyone on here is 18+ and interested in one high school sport or another or you wouldn't be on the site

20 minutes ago, pe2009 said:

I also coached little league football.....NEVER AGAIN.....it was never about the kids...it was about Coach A and Coach B being rivals when they were in HS and wanting to beat each other....it was single mom's looking for father figures.....taking the best players putting at QB, all the others on the Oline so they can meet their quota of playing time...etc...not saying ALL leagues were like that....but I'd never do it again

No, that sounds about right.

And let me just add... I've never considered a person a coach if they aren't being paid to perform the job.  I'm not saying that people that are in the position of coach do a poor job if they aren't being paid, I'm just saying that if they aren't being paid then there is no system of accountability.

If it is a paid position, then you can lose your job if standards aren't met.  As simple minded as the standards may be at times...there are still duties that have to be performed in order to keep the job.

Youth coaches are volunteers.  I think it's great that people do volunteer...and I think there are some decent ones out there.  But...if the kids learn nothing.  No problem.  Kids learn bad habits.  No problem.  Kids don't win a game.  No problem.

Well...there obviously is a problem.  But youth "coaches" do not get banned from coaching because of any of the above statements.  A coach being paid to coach...is a goner if those requirements aren't met.

2 hours ago, Stattrax said:

why you gotta throw me out in the street like that lmao, it was a one time thing. lol I was a victim of circumstances I tell you. I got a bad rep out of that and wasn't my fault, now im labled hey your that guy. lol Im no fighter im a lover lol

20 minutes ago, biaplayer said:

why you gotta throw me out in the street like that lmao, it was a one time thing. lol I was a victim of circumstances I tell you. I got a bad rep out of that and wasn't my fault, now im labled hey your that guy. lol Im no fighter im a lover lol

Ohhh. I do not judge you.. I mean, that poor guy, he is still walking kinda sideways. I would never say anything that would anger you.. Mainly because of FEAR... I mean, whats a guy supposed to do right? As for the rest of this post, i am just laughing...My kid was a BEAST, we won at everything, and the mommas hated me... But, then again it carried over, so I am good with it.... PEACE............

23 minutes ago, biaplayer said:

There's a stadium somewhere in Texas still sweeping off peanut shells lmao

I'm a huge fan of HS Football in this area,but not as much as when it meant wining a dist championship or being runner-up.Nowadays the mentality of making the playoffs & sending 4 teams isn't helping kids being overcomers.Friday night football once was the ticket,only kids that quit football were the kids that went & got jobs.Many of those kids were put in a difficult position because a parent (separated/divorced) would not support the family.Right now if SS checks cease alot of kids gonna go hungry/homeless.Have a great friend/former coach that's enlighted me that he knew some of his kids were stealing $ from him/he knew this,but remained calm=QUOTE:they only took enuff to get something to eat.I got on this site to begin with because of the fb teams that mirror themselves & their community to building character/mental & phyical tuffness,not there background or status quo in town politics.I won't name them=We/You Know Who They Are=Carry On.Stop the thinking every kid gets a participation ribbon/trophy=weakness.When the time comes for your sons/daughters/grandkids to take up arms in defense of our Country=Who do you want standing shoulder to shoulder w/them????????????