Angel Bullock

My 2 cents.  This game is a year ago December vs Kountze.

First of all...If I see this film as a recruiter, I eliminate the possibility of D1 immediately.  There isn't a D1 basketball payer on the floor of this game.  You can tell Bullock is a decent player for sure.. But you guys are selling him as a lights out shooter.  First off, he shoots from in front of his face (too low).  2nd, he's a pure set shooter, 3rd, he was like 1 for however many in the first half of this game including an air ball.  And Kountze played zone only..which means he didn't have to create at all.  He didn't move much, run off screens, create a shot off the bounce..My initial thoughts from this film is he is opportunistic scorer only.  Catch and shoot, snowbird, etc..

I know the kid can shoot better than that because I've seen them play a few times.  My thoughts are the same tho.  6'2 is a stretch BIG TIME, and he shoots with his feet to close to the floor.  No doubt in my mind, however, that he absolutely annihilates the likes of West Hardin, Sabine Pass, Evadale, and those guys..  But the fact remains.. Kountze is terrible when it comes to team defense, but really fast.  And he was only  to hit one 3 in 16 mins of basketball.  You guys are talking like he's the best shooter that's ever played the game.  He's pretty good I'll admit..but D1?  Sorry.

Subsequently I really like the #4.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

My 2 cents.  This game is a year ago December vs Kountze.

First of all...If I see this film as a recruiter, I eliminate the possibility of D1 immediately.  There isn't a D1 basketball payer on the floor of this game.  You can tell Bullock is a decent player for sure.. But you guys are selling him as a lights out shooter.  First off, he shoots from in front of his face (too low).  2nd, he's a pure set shooter, 3rd, he was like 1 for however many in the first half of this game including an air ball.  And Kountze played zone only..which means he didn't have to create at all.  He didn't move much, run off screens, create a shot off the bounce..My initial thoughts from this film is he is opportunistic scorer only.  Catch and shoot, snowbird, etc..

I know the kid can shoot better than that because I've seen them play a few times.  My thoughts are the same tho.  6'2 is a stretch BIG TIME, and he shoots with his feet to close to the floor.  No doubt in my mind, however, that he absolutely annihilates the likes of West Hardin, Sabine Pass, Evadale, and those guys..  But the fact remains.. Kountze is terrible when it comes to team defense, but really fast.  And he was only  to hit one 3 in 16 mins of basketball.  You guys are talking like he's the best shooter that's ever played the game.  He's pretty good I'll admit..but D1?  Sorry.

Subsequently I really like the #4.

I think this was actually from a month or so ago.  I was at that game and he played as poorly as he's capable of.  And BS still won by around 20.  

You make a good point about his mechanics.  Comparisons were made ITT to Nick Garth and a big difference between the two (they are comparable in size) is that Nick is a jump shooter and really elevates on his shot, in addition to having a quick release.   Angel does some things better though.  

I have to admit I've only seen him a handful of times but he's always impressed me, even in the really off game against Kountze.  

I also concur on the Williams kid.  I left that game talking about how smooth he plays.  

3 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I think this was actually from a month or so ago.  I was at that game and he played as poorly as he's capable of.  And BS still won by around 20.  

You make a good point about his mechanics.  Comparisons were made ITT to Nick Garth and a big difference between the two (they are comparable in size) is that Nick is a jump shooter and really elevates on his shot, in addition to having a quick release.   Angel does some things better though.  

I have to admit I've only seen him a handful of times but he's always impressed me, even in the really off game against Kountze.  

I also concur on the Williams kid.  I left that game talking about how smooth he plays.  

You're right it was a month ago.  I didn't look at the date very closely.

And I didn't say the Bullock kid wasn't a good player.  I've seen him a couple times also.  I'm playing devil's advocate...because I've personally seen a lot of D1 basketball courtside.  And sometimes people believe that just because "he's the best we got" means he/she is better than they really are.  College athletes are pretty serious on every level.  

Yes the Williams kid is some kind of smooth.  For argument's sake..and just to rattle some cages ;).. I'm gonna say I might rather have him on my team than Bullock.  I think he's more well rounded.

IMO Angel, Benson, and #24, I believe his name is Joe. Could all play at the next level. I've seen kids who have gone, and had successful playing careers at the D2 level and these 3 are just as good if not better. Their basketball IQ is the most impressive part and is what sets them apart. I also believe they are underrated athletes, as a former player, and playing against all three of them. It seems they hit the weight room enough when fighting for a rebound, and are a lot quicker than they may seem. I don't however think they would have much success at the D1 level. Bosha for example was a tremendous high school player, but he was a set shooter. He plays for a poor Lamar team, and rarely sees the floor. I'm a huge fan of BS and this is not a knock to any of these players, I think they all play the game the right way, and have a great attitude in doing so.

9 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

IMO Angel, Benson, and #24, I believe his name is Joe. Could all play at the next level. I've seen kids who have gone, and had successful playing careers at the D2 level and these 3 are just as good if not better. Their basketball IQ is the most impressive part and is what sets them apart. I also believe they are underrated athletes, as a former player, and playing against all three of them. It seems they hit the weight room enough when fighting for a rebound, and are a lot quicker than they may seem. I don't however think they would have much success at the D1 level. Bosha for example was a tremendous high school player, but he was a set shooter. He plays for a poor Lamar team, and rarely sees the floor. I'm a huge fan of BS and this is not a knock to any of these players, I think they all play the game the right way, and have a great attitude in doing so.

There are a lot of bigger school state champions, and quite a few schools better than Big Sandy that don't have 3 college basketball players on their team.  Think about what you're saying.

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

There are a lot of bigger school state champions, and quite a few schools better than Big Sandy that don't have 3 college basketball players on their team.  Think about what you're saying.

I do know what I said, that's why I said IMO. Notice I didn't say 3 D1 players, I said next level, meaning college. I referenced D2, but next level is also referencing to any level of college basketball, other than rec league lol which I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem finding one to play on

Edited by About a week ago

1 minute ago, About a week ago said:

I do know what I said, that's why I said IMO. Notice I didn't say 3 D1 players, I said next level, meaning college. I referenced D2, but next level is also referencing to any level of college basketball, other than rec league lol which I'm sure they would have a problem finding one of them to play on

Notice what I said too...I said a lot of better teams than BS don't have 3 college basketball players.  I'm talking about any level as well.  Trust me...if I coached a 2A school that had 3 D2 players on it I better be winning state every year I got em.  Because that's a dynamite team.  You guys are throwing these terms around pretty loosely...D2, D3, JUCO...you better believe those kids can ball too.  

Tell me the last time a small school had more than 1 player end up on a college roster.

1 minute ago, oldschool2 said:

Notice what I said too...I said a lot of better teams than BS don't have 3 college basketball players.  I'm talking about any level as well.  Trust me...if I coached a 2A school that had 3 D2 players on it I better be winning state every year I got em.  Because that's a dynamite team.  You guys are throwing these terms around pretty loosely...D2, D3, JUCO...you better believe those kids can ball too.  

Tell me the last time a small school had more than 1 player end up on a college roster.

BS is the clear cut favorite to win the 2A State Championship. There are sooo many colleges in the country. If a kid wants to play bad enough, he can find somewhere to play.

1 minute ago, Not A Guru said:

BS is the clear cut favorite to win the 2A State Championship. There are sooo many colleges in the country. If a kid wants to play bad enough, he can find somewhere to play.

No doubt in my mind they're the favorite.  As they should be.  But remember...they lost the title game last yr to a team that most likely has zero college basketball players.  See what I'm getting at?

And...um...false.  "wants to play bad enough" unfortunately will not get you on a college roster.  As an ex college player of 4 years, I'm pretty proud of the fact that I accomplished something that can not be accomplished by simply "wanting it bad enough".  Lot of things in play here.    

2 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

No doubt in my mind they're the favorite.  As they should be.  But remember...they lost the title game last yr to a team that most likely has zero college basketball players.  See what I'm getting at?

And...um...false.  "wants to play bad enough" unfortunately will not get you on a college roster.  As an ex college player of 4 years, I'm pretty proud of the fact that I accomplished something that can not be accomplished by simply "wanting it bad enough".  Lot of things in play here.    

We can disagree. I played with a kid who was TERRIBLE. He was not one of the top 5 players on our team. He is from this area, and played college ball for a small dump school in South Dakota. That's a fact. I played college ball (not basketball) after going unrecruited for the most part. I'm not saying ANYBODY can find a team, but ANYBODY that has some skill (which the BS boys we are talking about do) can find somewhere to play. That's a fact. 

23 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

2010 1A State Champion Cayuga had 3.

36 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Plano West only had exactly 3 I think - Mitchell, Hogg and Davis.   Although Jamabo probably could have but wouldn't have been able to go to a UCLA for hoops like he did football.  

I think Bullock and Williams could play somewhere at the next level.  Joe Joe is a really nice player too but would be tough to transition at his position and height in college.  

18 minutes ago, Not A Guru said:

We can disagree. I played with a kid who was TERRIBLE. He was not one of the top 5 players on our team. He is from this area, and played college ball for a small dump school in South Dakota. That's a fact. I played college ball (not basketball) after going unrecruited for the most part. I'm not saying ANYBODY can find a team, but ANYBODY that has some skill (which the BS boys we are talking about do) can find somewhere to play. That's a fact. 

Yes I'll agree that anybody that has some skill can more than likely get some college ball experience of some kind.  If they're willing to go far and wide..and most likely pay for their schooling.  But I'll bet your ex teammate didn't get recruited to go to that dump school in South Dakota.  I though the purpose of this conversation was to figure out why the Bullock kid wasn't being recruited.

9 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

2010 1A State Champion Cayuga had 3.

And I figured you'd sniff out an opportunity to prove me wrong.  Curiosity tho...didn't those kids play college football?  For some reason I was thinking those Cayuga kids were football players.

8 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Yes I'll agree that anybody that has some skill can more than likely get some college ball experience of some kind.  If they're willing to go far and wide..and most likely pay for their schooling.  But I'll bet your ex teammate didn't get recruited to go to that dump school in South Dakota.  I though the purpose of this conversation was to figure out why the Bullock kid wasn't being recruited.

And I figured you'd sniff out an opportunity to prove me wrong.  Curiosity tho...didn't those kids play college football?  For some reason I was thinking those Cayuga kids were football players.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong man. I'm just saying. And yes, I agree with you. Although a fine player, don't think he is a D1 recruit.