Beaumont Ozen

LCMAlumtiger32

21 minutes ago, RaiderRed30 said:

That is not accurate. For UIL purposes the school is only considered magnet if the entire school is magnet and there is no zoned attendance students. The rule in its entirety reads:

Conference and Dsitrict Assignment Policies and Procedures 2016-2017 and 2017-18 Realignment.

6.c.4 Multiple High School Districts with schools in more than one conference, one of which is a magnet school. A multiple high school districts with schools in more than one conference, one of which is a magnet school, shall have the magnet school placed in the same conference as the high school in that school district with the largest enrollment. A magnet school is defined as a high school within a multiple high school district where all students participate in the magnet curriculum.

If the rule was for any schools that have a magnet program, then both Ozen and Central would be forced to play in 6A because West Brooks attendance has 6A numbers. Houston ISD has multiple schools throughout 4A, 5A, and 6A that have magnet programs as well as students there because of zoning, but they are placed by overall attendance because not every student is a magnet student. Schools like Fort Worth's Young Men and Young Women academies as well as some Dallas schools that only do UIL Academics are placed in 6A because their entire school is selective with no zoning. In Fort Worth's case they then work it out with the districts and drop to 5A after realignment is announced.

In short Ozen should be 4A by rule but Beaumont ISD or some person within the district checked the box to opt up to 5A. If any school should have opted up it should have been Central to give West Brook at least one close district game.

I thought it was that there must be 1 6a school in the district and if one school is a magnet school, the other needs to be one and play in the same classification...

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

True...  But Odom has the Pegasus program, a sort of magnet program and any kid from anywhere in Beaumont can go there.  So an Odom kid going to high school goes back to the school that they're originally zonned to, which probably isn't Ozen....

Soulja, I know about the Pegasus program.  I have 3 there now and a freshman at Central now who went there.  My kids will be going to the high school they are zoned to which is Central.  But many of the kids go to West Brook because  their friends are going there, not because they are zoned there.  Even if they don't enforce it at the middle school level, I think they should be stricter at the high school level...jmo.

7 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Soulja, I know about the Pegasus program.  I have 3 there now and a freshman at Central now who went there.  My kids will be going to the high school they are zoned to which is Central.  But many of the kids go to West Brook because  their friends are going there, not because they are zoned there.  Even if they don't enforce it at the middle school level, I think they should be stricter at the high school level...jmo.

I agree...

But that's my point.  See how your kids are zoned to Central but went to Odom?  Ozen is low on numbers as it is and they rely on numbers from their two feeder schools.  South Park and Odom.  But with a lot of kids that attend Odom from all over town NOT zoned to Ozen, Ozen's population probably is directly affected...

Bottom line is BISD is thinking what's better for them and not the KIDS. That's a shame, isn't this suppose to be about the well being of the kids? Shouldn't we try to put the kids in the best opportunity to succeed on a even playing field? Nothing personal to you Beaumont faithful, but its times like these that give Beaumont a bad reputation.

BISD is trying to save  money using that same old OC Mike Taylor philosophy. If you are not familiar with him, he is the one who closed all the other high schools in the first place. They never should have opened Ozen there in the first place, BISD has even tried for force kids to go to Ozen. They tried it with my daughter.. I am, however for keeping it open because it gives 22 more kids an opportunity to play football, 5 more for basketball, etc. That's another valedictorian and honor grads. It gives the kids opportunity. The problem is zoning and freedom of choice. They need to rezone the schools to something normal. They have talked about neighborhood schools but that does not apply to high schools. I live near Central but I'm dual zoned to Brook & Ozen. My kids graduated from different high schools cause I moved across the street. Going to a regular zoning plan makes more sense which is probably why they won't do it. 

Question...  from 1986-1997 there were only two high schools in Beaumont: West Brook and Central and then Ozen opened in 1998.  What was the reason for opening Ozen to begin with and why would they want to close it now? From 1974-1985 you had Beaumont High merging with Charlton-Pollard to form B-C-P, then Hebert and Forest Park merging to form West Brook in 1982 under a federal court order with South Park merging in 1984, and then French merging with B-C-P in 1986 to form Central.  It seems like a merry-go-round as for several years prior to 1974 there were six high schools in Hebert, Charlton-Pollard, French, Forest Park, South Park and Beaumont High, which merged into only two with West Brook and Central, and now they're trying to spread them out again.

All BISD has to do is stop zoning that elementary(ies) that are zoned to Marshall and Vincent and zone them to either SP and Odom.  WB's numbers may drop into 5A and then they'll all be in the same class with the driving distances reduced.  Well they have 2 years to figure it out

On 1/27/2016 at 1:36 PM, BMTSoulja1 said:

I agree...

But that's my point.  See how your kids are zoned to Central but went to Odom?  Ozen is low on numbers as it is and they rely on numbers from their two feeder schools.  South Park and Odom.  But with a lot of kids that attend Odom from all over town NOT zoned to Ozen, Ozen's population probably is directly affected...

Yes it is. WB strong athletic history came from a winning Hebert H.S. program with majority of the best athletes coming from the Pear Orchard. 

The neighborhoods that flank Ozen from Sarah St. to Cardinal Dr. to Fannett Rd. From Fannett Rd. to Colleg St. between 4th and 11th Streets is all zoned for West Brook, Marshall, and Vincent Middle Schools. This is why Ozen has low enrollment. Then there is a small area near Central that is actually zoned for Ozen. Why who knows. The area near Caldwood Elm. is what they call dual zoned for Ozen and Westbrook. Guess who gets the short end of the stick in that. The zoning in BISD is horrible and its time to be addressed, jmo

55 minutes ago, SFA85 said:

All BISD has to do is stop zoning that elementary(ies) that are zoned to Marshall and Vincent and zone them to either SP and Odom.  WB's numbers may drop into 5A and then they'll all be in the same class with the driving distances reduced.  Well they have 2 years to figure it out

After the 1st fuel bills come in, this will be a sh*t or get off the pot moment for BISD zoning before Feb 2018......

24 minutes ago, proudpvdad1972 said:

The neighborhoods that flank Ozen from Sarah St. to Cardinal Dr. to Fannett Rd. From Fannett Rd. to Colleg St. between 4th and 11th Streets is all zoned for West Brook, Marshall, and Vincent Middle Schools. This is why Ozen has low enrollment. Then there is a small area near Central that is actually zoned for Ozen. Why who knows. The area near Caldwood Elm. is what they call dual zoned for Ozen and Westbrook. Guess who gets the short end of the stick in that. The zoning in BISD is horrible and its time to be addressed, jmo

Did that change from when Ozen was opened ?  They started out with around 1900 kids I believe the first couple of years.

25 minutes ago, bigdog said:

Did that change from when Ozen was opened ?  They started out with around 1900 kids I believe the first couple of years.

1st ADM according to Dave Campbell was 1770 and WB was 2200ish but point taken.....

If you look at the numbers, BISD hasn't had an influx of kids that warranted a third high school. The numbers have always been the same. The Pear Orchard wanted a neighborhood high school back and Ozen was created.  It wasn't opened out of necessity but more as an appeasement. Both West Brook and Central took a hit in enrollment when Ozen opened. Central took the brunt of it. People forget that Central dropped in classification and was once one of the smaller schools in that athletic district while Ozen was the biggest school in that athletic district. What changed was the quality of education and the mismanagement of the school by the adminstrators that were put in charge of it. That's the elephant in the room. Fact is parents aren't sending their kids to Ozen and it has nothing to do with sports. 

12 hours ago, Yeoj said:

If you look at the numbers, BISD hasn't had an influx of kids that warranted a third high school. The numbers have always been the same. The Pear Orchard wanted a neighborhood high school back and Ozen was created.  It wasn't opened out of necessity but more as an appeasement. Both West Brook and Central took a hit in enrollment when Ozen opened. Central took the brunt of it. People forget that Central dropped in classification and was once one of the smaller schools in that athletic district while Ozen was the biggest school in that athletic district. What changed was the quality of education and the mismanagement of the school by the adminstrators that were put in charge of it. That's the elephant in the room. Fact is parents aren't sending their kids to Ozen and it has nothing to do with sports. 

Has nothing to do with the admin at Ozen or getting the better education at WB or Central, the problem is the media and upper administration have given the perception to the people of Beaumont that Ozen is a terrible school when thats far from the case, when I was in school we had better scores that WB and Central so education can't be it. It started when a bunch of coaches and staff members were constantly on the news for all sorts of things plus the firing of Coach Brooks & hiring of Coach Clayton then the 1-9 season and it's been pretty much downhill from there...truth be told you're not getting a better education at neither 3 of the high schools they're all pretty much the same when it comes to getting an education. So that can't be the reason, and before you dispute this please know that I have many friends that attended Central & WB and they all can vouch for this. You can get just a good an education at Ozen, CHS or WB equally. Same goes for behavior issues you have plenty at all 3 schools with the worst of the bunch more than likely at Central and their enrollment isn't down. So idk what you're alluding to but those reasons can't be it.

5 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Has nothing to do with the admin at Ozen or getting the better education at WB or Central, the problem is the media and upper administration have given the perception to the people of Beaumont that Ozen is a terrible school when thats far from the case, when I was in school we had better scores that WB and Central so education can't be it. It started when a bunch of coaches and staff members were constantly on the news for all sorts of things plus the firing of Coach Brooks & hiring of Coach Clayton then the 1-9 season and it's been pretty much downhill from there...truth be told you're not getting a better education at neither 3 of the high schools they're all pretty much the same when it comes to getting an education. So that can't be the reason, and before you dispute this please know that I have many friends that attended Central & WB and they all can vouch for this. You can get just a good an education at Ozen, CHS or WB equally. Same goes for behavior issues you have plenty at all 3 schools with the worst of the bunch more than likely at Central and their enrollment isn't down. So idk what you're alluding to but those reasons can't be it.

The part about the education is true to a point.  The smart kids will flourish at either school, no matter what.  It a the kids on the fence or the riff raff.  Will they go out of the way to help these kids.  The kids with the thug mentality, shaky home life, ect.  When this comes into play, who's willing to give these kids a few more resources to succeed or even have a chance to succeed?  OF, when you were in school, the old regime was in place.  Ozen was still the darling of Beaumont at that time.  Different day in age now.  I believe the scores have slipped a little.  And it looks to not be changing.  This freshmen group at Ozen have already shown not so good signs so far.  Maybe they can get it together and at least start and upward spiral of sorts there, athletics and academics.  Maybe, just maybe, kids will want to start sending their children children there again, like in the early and mid 2000's..   

23 hours ago, JRidge said:

I don't know if the request to stay in 5a was the best interest for the kids. Maybe for saving travel time and money because of distance but competition wise they will be out manned in football especially because of depth and physicallity. Winning programs help the schools environment overall.

I hope Ozen loses every single district game over the next 2 years.  Deciding to play up in classification even tho the school enrollment suggests otherwise is completely unfair to every athlete on campus.  Agree or not..the state sets those district cutoffs for a reason and schools shouldn't have to play schools with much higher enrollments in competition for state championships.  This isn't 1950s Indiana. 

And whether or not they CAN compete in basketball or whatever is irrelevant.  I feel bad for the kids but whoever made that decision needs to see that schools play other schools their same size for a reason.  So again...I hope Ozen absolutely tanks because of this.

23 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I hope Ozen loses every single district game over the next 2 years.  Deciding to play up in classification even tho the school enrollment suggests otherwise is completely unfair to every athlete on campus.  Agree or not..the state sets those district cutoffs for a reason and schools shouldn't have to play schools with much higher enrollments in competition for state championships.  This isn't 1950s Indiana. 

And whether or not they CAN compete in basketball or whatever is irrelevant.  I feel bad for the kids but whoever made that decision needs to see that schools play other schools their same size for a reason.  So again...I hope Ozen absolutely tanks because of this.

Crazy thing to say especially for the parents that have kids on the roster.  

37 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Other than the hope that Ozen loses every district game, I can't say I disagree with oldschool.  BISD did Ozen no favors other than to the bottom line on a balance sheet by opting them up.

35 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Crazy thing to say especially for the parents that have kids on the roster.  

May seem harsh to some.  But I've never been accused of showing sympathy...  Bottom line is that Ozen literally slapped the UIL in the face by going against what people have been fighting for for years.  There are over 10 different state champions now because of the decision to let teams play others with similar enrollment.  Not saying I'm in absolute agreement with UIL because I'm not..but I will say this.  UIL came up with a system for equal chance competition based on what 1000s of parents were complaining about up to this point.  No offense but I could care less what the parents of Ozen athletes feel about my comment.  How many parents were forced to watch their kids play schools with twice the enrollment hoping their kids simply didn't get hurt..much less compete?  And the Ozen administration is doing it voluntarily?  

I wish UIL would've put them in a different district than Central just because.

26 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

May seem harsh to some.  But I've never been accused of showing sympathy...  Bottom line is that Ozen literally slapped the UIL in the face by going against what people have been fighting for for years.  There are over 10 different state champions now because of the decision to let teams play others with similar enrollment.  Not saying I'm in absolute agreement with UIL because I'm not..but I will say this.  UIL came up with a system for equal chance competition based on what 1000s of parents were complaining about up to this point.  No offense but I could care less what the parents of Ozen athletes feel about my comment.  How many parents were forced to watch their kids play schools with twice the enrollment hoping their kids simply didn't get hurt..much less compete?  And the Ozen administration is doing it voluntarily?  

I wish UIL would've put them in a different district than Central just because.

No offense taken, but it's still silly to wish a team lose all of their games because of a decision made by administration, not the kids or the coach.