Beaumont Ozen

LCMAlumtiger32

Beaumont ISD has done a disservice to the school, the kids, the parents and the community. The travel in the district they "probably" would have been in would not have been that bad. They would have replaced Navasota and the longest trip would have been Livingston. That is a trip both Ozen and Central have made numerous times.

21 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Has nothing to do with the admin at Ozen or getting the better education at WB or Central, the problem is the media and upper administration have given the perception to the people of Beaumont that Ozen is a terrible school when thats far from the case, when I was in school we had better scores that WB and Central so education can't be it. It started when a bunch of coaches and staff members were constantly on the news for all sorts of things plus the firing of Coach Brooks & hiring of Coach Clayton then the 1-9 season and it's been pretty much downhill from there...truth be told you're not getting a better education at neither 3 of the high schools they're all pretty much the same when it comes to getting an education. So that can't be the reason, and before you dispute this please know that I have many friends that attended Central & WB and they all can vouch for this. You can get just a good an education at Ozen, CHS or WB equally. Same goes for behavior issues you have plenty at all 3 schools with the worst of the bunch more than likely at Central and their enrollment isn't down. So idk what you're alluding to but those reasons can't be it.

Look at the stats. The test scores are horrible at Ozen. Broussard sucked as the administrator and promoted all the wrong people. Coaches getting flicks stuck in school DVDs. Students that finish from Ozen coming back and saying they weren't prepared for college. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Dude take off the blue and yellow shades. Its not the media, Ozen was horribly mismanaged. 

This past season Ozen freshman team played a few games then the numbers dwindled, then they went 0-10 for the season.

This past season Ozen JV went 1-9 with 25 to 29 players

The program was already on life support due to hand full of players on varsity. To opt to stay in 5A by the AD and Administration of managers is

a come on man moment. Its no way they can compete with Nederland, Central, PNG, Memorial  Going1-9 or 2-8  is a real possibility. I wish them the best. Its no surprise someone wants them to fail. Its no way they should be a 5A football team.Smh.... 

1 hour ago, Yeoj said:

Look at the stats. The test scores are horrible at Ozen. Broussard sucked as the administrator and promoted all the wrong people. Coaches getting flicks stuck in school DVDs. Students that finish from Ozen coming back and saying they weren't prepared for college. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Dude take off the blue and yellow shades. Its not the media, Ozen was horribly mismanaged. 

You missed my point yeoj...I never said that Ozen was a great school but none of the other two schools are much better so a parent choosing to send her kid to CHS or WB over Ozen thinking that they have a better administration/education is only a perception that the media and residents of beaumont has created. I graduated from Ozen and went on to college and graduated from there as well. I know plenty of guys that graduated from WB just in my class that flunked out of college got caught with drugs on college campus etc. And they graduated from Westbrook....Bad things have happened at Ozen just as they have at WB & CHS is my point.

17 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

The part about the education is true to a point.  The smart kids will flourish at either school, no matter what.  It a the kids on the fence or the riff raff.  Will they go out of the way to help these kids.  The kids with the thug mentality, shaky home life, ect.  When this comes into play, who's willing to give these kids a few more resources to succeed or even have a chance to succeed?  OF, when you were in school, the old regime was in place.  Ozen was still the darling of Beaumont at that time.  Different day in age now.  I believe the scores have slipped a little.  And it looks to not be changing.  This freshmen group at Ozen have already shown not so good signs so far.  Maybe they can get it together and at least start and upward spiral of sorts there, athletics and academics.  Maybe, just maybe, kids will want to start sending their children children there again, like in the early and mid 2000's..   

No soulja my freshman year was went Ozen started to go down hill...we had the lowest enrollment as a freshman class in Ozen's history at the time. Ozen was never the darling of Beaumont when I attended Ozen and I've only been out of high school for 6 years now.

8 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

You missed my point yeoj...I never said that Ozen was a great school but none of the other two schools are much better so a parent choosing to send her kid to CHS or WB over Ozen thinking that they have a better administration/education is only a perception that the media and residents of beaumont has created. I graduated from Ozen and went on to college and graduated from there as well. I know plenty of guys that graduated from WB just in my class that flunked out of college got caught with drugs on college campus etc. And they graduated from Westbrook....Bad things have happened at Ozen just as they have at WB & CHS is my point.

47% of the kids that Ozen send to college fail and drop out. 20% of West Brook's kids fail and drop out. Sorry, but those are the numbers. Its not equal or even close. But, you are right, and I agree that BISD as a whole needs to get better at educating our kids.

Doing this to Ozen is down right disgusting. I have been ticked off about it every since I was told months ago that the request to remain 5A would be made. It seems as if these people making this decision wants to completely destroy the program. I do not see very many wins over the next two years. I will never be happy with this decision. I also hope kids are not forced to play with injuries because of lack of depth.

16 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

Soulja, you better get that boy over to 88 Jaguar drive...

I feel sorry for those kids over there.  Who is responsible for this?  Was it Saveat or who?

Lol.  Ey, he made that decision and he thinks they'll make a difference.  

From what I hear, it's the AD and the BOM.

18 hours ago, JustUs said:

This past season Ozen freshman team played a few games then the numbers dwindled, then they went 0-10 for the season.

This past season Ozen JV went 1-9 with 25 to 29 players

The program was already on life support due to hand full of players on varsity. To opt to stay in 5A by the AD and Administration of managers is

a come on man moment. Its no way they can compete with Nederland, Central, PNG, Memorial  Going1-9 or 2-8  is a real possibility. I wish them the best. Its no surprise someone wants them to fail. Its no way they should be a 5A football team.Smh.... 

Westbrook went through the same thing when Stump left.

Did anyone see how many kids Central fielded on varsity this year? It was a doggone shame. All (bmt) schools go through this from time to time.

10 hours ago, Yeoj said:

47% of the kids that Ozen send to college fail and drop out. 20% of West Brook's kids fail and drop out. Sorry, but those are the numbers. Its not equal or even close. But, you are right, and I agree that BISD as a whole needs to get better at educating our kids.

This may be true but look at the demographics of the kids WB compared to OHS....plus WB sends a lot more students to college.

14 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Playing devils advocate here...  There was no argument when for years the inner city Houston ISD schools have opted up to play 4a ball while consistently having 3a numbers....

Wasn't that because of scheduling? I thought Houston for basketball plays all of their varsity games, both boys and girls in only 4 or 5 gyms, and football around that amount. They opted up schools to have a district to themselves allowing them to set their own schedules and not have to worry about other teams. I believe that is why they opted up all of the 4A D2 schools to D1 this time because last time they were having to travel all the way to Navasota for football. Garland and Austin have done the same. I think Fort Bend as well. It is just easier if you can have your own district and decide everything than having to make agreements with other school districts and working around their academic calendars. Plus usually schools in the same school district will have similar facilities and everything else, so the difference in numbers is not felt as much.

In this case, BISD said it saved money, but other than football their district would have been closer with the farthest game LCM instead of Lee. Maybe this will be a one time thing and Ozen can gain students to have 5A numbers in two years, but if not hopefully BISD will realize the problem and allow them to drop.

8 hours ago, RaiderRed30 said:

Wasn't that because of scheduling? I thought Houston for basketball plays all of their varsity games, both boys and girls in only 4 or 5 gyms, and football around that amount. They opted up schools to have a district to themselves allowing them to set their own schedules and not have to worry about other teams. I believe that is why they opted up all of the 4A D2 schools to D1 this time because last time they were having to travel all the way to Navasota for football. Garland and Austin have done the same. I think Fort Bend as well. It is just easier if you can have your own district and decide everything than having to make agreements with other school districts and working around their academic calendars. Plus usually schools in the same school district will have similar facilities and everything else, so the difference in numbers is not felt as much.

In this case, BISD said it saved money, but other than football their district would have been closer with the farthest game LCM instead of Lee. Maybe this will be a one time thing and Ozen can gain students to have 5A numbers in two years, but if not hopefully BISD will realize the problem and allow them to drop.

This move will not help Ozen's numbers.  If anything, their numbers will be even lower next time around...

11 hours ago, 87JAG said:

Did anyone see how many kids Central fielded on varsity this year? It was a doggone shame. All (bmt) schools go through this from time to time.

I only missed the Nederland game so I must have missed the low varsity numbers for Central.  It only takes 11 on offense and 11 on defense plus special teams.  There was really only one kid that played both sides of the ball and that was Bennett who started at FS and played some WR.  I don't have my roster right in front of me but if my memory serves me correct, there were 23 seniors, 12 juniors and 6 sophomores on varsity.  That's only 41, 50 would be optimal but that's just more kids standing around.  I didn't make but one JV game but they finished 8-1 but had decent numbers on the sideline.  I made all the freshman games which had between 50 and 60 kids, until report cards came out...

27 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I wonder what Coach Suggs thinks about all this?  He went from in my opinion a guaranteed winning season and possible deep playoff run with Tyler to a guaranteed 10 game season...

I read an article about the realignment and he was quoted as saying that he feels good about the decision because he is very familiar with the district opponents, including PA Memorial.  But that is what he was quoted as saying in the newspaper.  I don't know if someone else told him what to say....

13 hours ago, 87JAG said:

Actually West Brook's football numbers went up after Stump left.