Who cares.. Learn to schedule, or learn to play, or don't play.

Same thing happens here. Teams that are absolutely horrible end up with some sense of false hope because the other team basically stops playing and starts trying not to score. I don't really feel sorry for any team.

oldschool-lllllll!!!!!!!! I knew we had SOMETHING in common.  :lol:

Everyone gets a trophy for participation these days.. :rolleyes:  

I agree with not pressing in a game like that.  Work on passing, moving the ball, drive the lane and kick it out for long jumpers and three's.  IF that was done then I'm good with it.

Don't stop playing if skill and technique will suffer.

The issue here isn't whether the coach of the winning team should have had his girls stop trying to score at all, but he could have done several things to prevent the score from being this lopsided:

1) Have your girls stop shooting threes.  If you want them to keep shooting and get the practice of shooting in a game just have them step on or just inside the three point line to shoot.  Almost the same shot, but only 2/3s the points.

2) Call off the half court trap/ press etc after the first quarter.  Take the opportunity to have your team work on their half court defense, their zone defense etc.

3) Make your girls pass it 4 or 5 times before shooting.  This way they can still shoot, but they work on their passing skills as well.  And, it takes time off the clock.

4) Tell your team they can only score on layups.

What many are overlooking here is that the winning coach missed an opportunity to have his players work on things that would make them better in a game situation.

The thing that makes me mad is the attitude of the winning coach.  He knows all the things listed above and could have instituted all or some of them.  His team would have gotten to practice things that will make them a better team moving forward all without humiliating a bunch of high school kids.  The score still would have been 80 or 90 to 10.  Surely that's enough.  There's big difference between everybody gets a trophy and not showing up a defenseless team.  The coach's suspension was warranted.

Article says he pressed full court first half and half court for the second. Even with a shot clock which is what, 35 seconds? The game could still be slowed down to only 2 offensive possessions a mintue. I'm all for letting the team play and not taking it easy because someone isn't good but 159 point victory is pretty rediculous Imo.

They had a shot clock ,  he quit pressing after one.  Starters never set foot on court after first Quarter.  WHINE  WHINE WHINE.  I heard an old coach say one time "I don't get paid to make your team better".

I'm not whining.  The coach of the winning team acted like there was nothing he could have done, which he knows is an absolute lie, and missed an opportunity to have his team work on things that would have made them better.  The girls who got thumped will get over it, but the coach of the winning team is an ass.  He could have avoided scoring 162 and still had his girls play hard and get better and he knows it.  In the mean time, he would have avoided making another coach and team look foolish.  The NFL is the most competitive league in professional sports and the coaches there try to reduce scoring in blowouts at some point.  This wasnt the NFL, the NBA, or the WNBA it was a high school basketball game.  There has to be a balance between competition and behaving like a-holes.

The issue here isn't whether the coach of the winning team should have had his girls stop trying to score at all, but he could have done several things to prevent the score from being this lopsided:

1) Have your girls stop shooting threes. If you want them to keep shooting and get the practice of shooting in a game just have them step on or just inside the three point line to shoot. Almost the same shot, but only 2/3s the points.

2) Call off the half court trap/ press etc after the first quarter. Take the opportunity to have your team work on their half court defense, their zone defense etc.

3) Make your girls pass it 4 or 5 times before shooting. This way they can still shoot, but they work on their passing skills as well. And, it takes time off the clock.

4) Tell your team they can only score on layups.

What many are overlooking here is that the winning coach missed an opportunity to have his players work on things that would make them better in a game situation.

The thing that makes me mad is the attitude of the winning coach. He knows all the things listed above and could have instituted all or some of them. His team would have gotten to practice things that will make them a better team moving forward all without humiliating a bunch of high school kids. The score still would have been 80 or 90 to 10. Surely that's enough. There's big difference between everybody gets a trophy and not showing up a defenseless team. The coach's suspension was warranted.

I said the same thing about Yates a couple years ago!

I guess we should stop telling our kids to excel in classroom too. Be average!

Exactly. We should tell kids with high GPA's to throw in a C every once in a while in case they "make an average kid look foolish"

I don't feel sorrow for any team that gets blown out. Seems to me the coach could've won by over 200 if he really wanted to "be an ass". Get over it crybabies. If they can't compete...they need to do something about it. Or don't play.

BD we're on the same page more and more these days.

Exactly. We should tell kids with high GPA's to throw in a C every once in a while in case they "make an average kid look foolish"

I don't feel sorrow for any team that gets blown out. Seems to me the coach could've won by over 200 if he really wanted to "be an ass". Get over it crybabies. If they can't compete...they need to do something about it. Or don't play.

BD we're on the same page more and more these days.

Until there is a crowd present at the public announcement of every student's GPA the comparison between sports and grades doesnt really work.  Grades are confidential, a basketball game and its score are, obviously, made public.  Notice that at graduation they don't announce the names of the kids who failed and are not receiving a diploma.

And, for the third time the coach wasnt an ass for blowing out the other team. He was an ass for continuing to allow his players to do things that made the score increasingly humiliating (for no reason) when he could have used the time to make his team better and still won the game 90- 6.  Surely, that would have been enough points.

When good teams play terrible teams, blow outs are inevitable. I have had kids on AAU teams that got blown out  and teams that have blown out other teams. The thing that made me the most mad and felt the most humiliating was when the other  team stopped trying all together.  But, there are things (outlined earlier) that the coach of the superior team can do to limit the damage.  I agree that at some point the coach of the team that got blown out bears some responsibility for not having his girls ready to play. But I cant justify continuing to press or trap full court or half court in the first or second half an essentially defenseless team.  Last I checked, sportsmanship was one of the lessons youth sports was supposed to teach kids.  The coach in this case failed to do that and earned his suspension.

So when do you stop making a team look humiliated? 30+, 50+, 75+?? And who decides? You're saying 90-6 would've been ok? Really? So it's less humiliating to have a team play keep away for the entire 2nd half? Was that team trying to steal the ball late so they could keep scoring? Or was the losing team shooting and trying to score...allowing the winning team to get rebounds and get the ball back? The losing team could've walked across half court and held the ball. Instead of allowing the winning team to get more possessions. If they were still getting steals...yeah that could've been prevented...

Like I said earlier.. Learn to schedule, learn to play, or don't play.

I can promise you... 100-6 there would still be some crybabies on here saying the coach was just an ass for "running the score up".