More BISD mess

AggiesAreWe

That's an excellent point, and I think it hinges on one factor: the students. In 1995, the students never stood up and never did anything. Twenty years later, for every adult you're seeing at these rallies, you're seeing a student, too. The news was quick to point out that the biggest round of applause to follow any individual speaker at the BISD board meeting came after a West Brook student spoke. I've seen interviews with students from all three BISD high schools on the news in the past few weeks.

It could be argued that the students are more aggravated this time around because of the layoffs - because the students were seeing the very real and tangible consequences of poor management by the school board for the first time. But I think it can be attributed at least partially to a different generation operating under different circumstances. In 1995, the economy was good and jobs were plentiful. Today, the economy is anemic at best and the percentage of the population in the workforce is at its lowest since records first started being kept. To say it succinctly, the job market is more competitive than it's ever been, and the determining factor for who among new entrants in the job market actually gets a job, as well as among college applicants, is often the quality of their prior education. Right now, BISD isn't sitting too pretty in that regard. Throw in a dash of social media, which has made social movements that much easier to get off the ground and nearly cultivated a revolution all its own among young people in Iran in 2009, and you have a recipe for a much more active student body. When students are riled, parents are just that much more riled, and that's what I think is leading to the more visual protests.

:rolleyes: Its a new generation and social media along with mass media (negative) campaigning against BISD is one motivating factor. Kids aint thinking about no jobs right now. 

:rolleyes: Its a new generation and social media along with mass media (negative) campaigning against BISD is one motivating factor. Kids aint thinking about no jobs right now. 

Social Media......Blue you are right on!

Do you guys realize how quickly you can get a message out these days? If I receive bad service at any establishment, I can tell 3000-4000 people in a matter of minutes....

Sure BISD has its problems. I'm saying how powerful social media has become. I can photoshop  a pic showing bigdog or AggiesAreWe kissing a man and text to a hundred people. If I can get ONE person to believe my pic, I've been successful. 

LOL.  The difference here is there is no photoshopping.  This stuff has been floating around for at least a year and is finally starting to come out with the full story.  And it is the mainstream media, not social media that is reporting on it.

I partially disagree PNG. The protests are not student led, they are parent driven. In 1995 BISD was having problems passing state mandated test. That is not the issue right now. The issue is about financial responsibility. It is true that students are more informed now because of social media, but they are still students with the same interests. The amount of people that have attended BISD meetings since the indictments were handed out are pale in comparison to the amount that have attended since layoffs were announced. I sympathize with the teachers because they are the ones who have the most impact on our students. We should release more administrators, but that alone will not fix the problem. I applaud the students for exercising their rights, but it will not change a $25m deficit.

BISD could sell the Thomas center!

I would beg to differ with you there. And with all due respect, I'm a lot closer to that generation in age than you are.

I partially disagree PNG. The protests are not student led, they are parent driven. In 1995 BISD was having problems passing state mandated test. That is not the issue right now. The issue is about financial responsibility. It is true that students are more informed now because of social media, but they are still students with the same interests. The amount of people that have attended BISD meetings since the indictments were handed out are pale in comparison to the amount that have attended since layoffs were announced. I sympathize with the teachers because they are the ones who have the most impact on our students. We should release more administrators, but that alone will not fix the problem. I applaud the students for exercising their rights, but it will not change a $25m deficit.

BISD could sell the Thomas center!

The situation in 1995 and the situation now both involved state mandated tests. Then it was failure. Today, it's cheating. It was about this time last year that the scandal involving Patricia Lambert and the cheating (among several other things) she purportedly coordinated at Central was exposed.

I don't recall what ever came of the lawsuits filed over that situation, but if it was ever proven, that on its own is grounds for a full investigation by TEA, regardless of the district's financial situation.

TEA did investigate and determine that a sub did in fact help one student.  There was no widespread cheating as reported in the news. The sub told the truth about what happened. There was a lawsuit involving Lambert and an assistant principal under her about her daughter being valedictorian --suit was dropped.

Chag announced his resignation effective Oct 31st, 2014.

http://m.kfdm.com/article?id=5767914

What's the hold up?

It buys time. In any government job, if you are in the hot seat and your employment status is basically day to day, you can announce your resignation for some time in the future and usually be left alone. You get a few more months pay and benefits, time to look for new employment, etc. 

Many times the governing body will not go through the hassle of firing someone that will be gone in a few weeks anyway. If a guy like Chag does not announce, he could be terminated at any moment. If he announces his resignation like he did today for four months in advance, he will usually be left alone. Time will tell if that happens in this case but it is not unusual.