West Orange Stark vs Madisonville

tennisbc

2 hours ago, GUNHO said:

There is a lot of teams that reload just like WO-S but to keep reloading and compete for a state title year after year is something else.We really have only been tested once and that was the Kennedale game and the defense won that game for us.I don't need a blowout or shut out every game to make me fell good about this team.If you are looking for that type of game with the teams still in front of us I think you are in for disappointment.     

No u r the one that keeps CRYING about this not last year's team I don't care about what happen last year because that was last yr what saying the kenndale wasn't a test wos kept them in the game  by make mistakes it doesn't matter what the score is I'm just saying with out the mistakes no one wouldn't come to beating those guys and teams may reaload but wos is build just a little different from the rest 35 14 STAMP it 

I do cringe when I see what seems to be a default 40 point win prediction every time the Mustangs take the field.  Last year is last year and it seems like those that make those predictions are expecting Jack Dallas, KJ Miller, Mo Joseph, Jeremiah Shaw, T Brown and others from last year's team to pop out of the Mustang inflatable.  They won't...they've graduated and are on to the next phase of their lives (which all of them seem to be doing real well in).  Cornel Thompson realizes that, Eddie Dyer realizes that, Mike Pierce realizes that.   It might be time for some of us to realize that.  Last year's team and their accomplishments will go down in the annals of Texas High School Football History.  It probably won't happen again in our lifetime, it might not happen ever again.

So when I see Eddie criticized for not doing things on offense that the Mustangs did last year, I find that patently unfair to him.  Jack Dallas and Chaka Watson are two different young men.  There are parts of the offensive playbook that he opens up for Chaka to execute that he would have never dreamed of asking Jack to do.  By the same token, there are parts of the play book that he would open up to Jack that he would never ask Chaka to do.  Why?  Not because one is any less of an quality quarterback than the other, but because they possess different skill sets which lend themselves to different parts of the Mustang playbook.

Would I like to see some of the same things as last year? Of course.  But the current personnel package needs to have plays called that fit in their skill sets, not the skill sets of Jack or KJ or Keion or Jeremiah.  And last Friday painted the Mustang's offense further into a corner.  I don't know of any team that would be able to lose the services of their starting quarterback and expect the offense to run smoothly.  It doesn't happen in the NFL, it doesn't happen in the NCAA and no, it doesn't happen in West Orange, Texas.  Tyrone Wilson will do great things when it is his turn, but to expect him to at this point to do the same things as Chaka is just as unfair as expecting Chaka to be a carbon copy of Jack.  And to expect Eddie Dyer to call the same plays for those 3 different young men is the height of stupidity.

The end result is that the Mustangs won, just as they have done for every week that they have played since the middle of 2015 for 37 straight games and 14 straight playoff games.

Now that is not to say that I don't believe the 2017 Mustangs are a top notch ball team.  They are on a path to play for a 3rd straight state championship.  All I am saying is that there is no need to blow a gasket and demand wholesale changes in a great coaching staff because they aren't beating teams by 30-40 points!

2 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I do cringe when I see what seems to be a default 40 point win prediction every time the Mustangs take the field.  Last year is last year and it seems like those that make those predictions are expecting Jack Dallas, KJ Miller, Mo Joseph, Jeremiah Shaw, T Brown and others from last year's team to pop out of the Mustang inflatable.  They won't...they've graduated and are on to the next phase of their lives (which all of them seem to be doing real well in).  Cornel Thompson realizes that, Eddie Dyer realizes that, Mike Pierce realizes that.   It might be time for some of us to realize that.  Last year's team and their accomplishments will go down in the annals of Texas High School Football History.  It probably won't happen again in our lifetime, it might not happen ever again.

So when I see Eddie criticized for not doing things on offense that the Mustangs did last year, I find that patently unfair to him.  Jack Dallas and Chaka Watson are two different young men.  There are parts of the offensive playbook that he opens up for Chaka to execute that he would have never dreamed of asking Jack to do.  By the same token, there are parts of the play book that he would open up to Jack that he would never ask Chaka to do.  Why?  Not because one is any less of an quality quarterback than the other, but because they possess different skill sets which lend themselves to different parts of the Mustang playbook.

Would I like to see some of the same things as last year? Of course.  But the current personnel package needs to have plays called that fit in their skill sets, not the skill sets of Jack or KJ or Keion or Jeremiah.  And last Friday painted the Mustang's offense further into a corner.  I don't know of any team that would be able to lose the services of their starting quarterback and expect the offense to run smoothly.  It doesn't happen in the NFL, it doesn't happen in the NCAA and no, it doesn't happen in West Orange, Texas.  Tyrone Wilson will do great things when it is his turn, but to expect him to at this point to do the same things as Chaka is just as unfair as expecting Chaka to be a carbon copy of Jack.

The end result is that the Mustangs won, just as they have done for every week that they have played since the middle of 2015 for 37 straight games and 14 straight playoff games.

Now that is not to say that I don't believe the 2017 Mustangs are a top notch ball team.  They are on a path to play for a 3rd straight state championship.  All I am saying is that there is no need to blow a gasket and demand wholesale changes in a great coaching staff because they aren't beating teams by 30-40 points!

Well said.  Last year is last year and we just need to be thankful that we were able to witness it.  The two years prior, WOS got into some tougher games and were still able to play in the final game. I am not saying it is a given WOS will be there this year.  I do trust this coaching staff that has a proven track record and do think these athletes have not yet reached their full potential as a team. This young teams growth was also stunted by Harvey...some coaching, growing up and teachable moments were lost.  Let’s enjoy each step this years team climbs and I truly hope that I am driving to Dallas in December.  If not, I still have to doff my cap to one hell of a run and hope that it is the starting point of another!  

Also, reading the Silsbee thread reminded me that last year Carthage barely escaped a first round defeat at the hands of Silsbee. Carthage won state. There are no bonus points or style points to help a team in the next rounds. A win means you still play and a there are no moral victories to help a team build for next week....just win baby!!

1 hour ago, Sportsguy17 said:

Madisonville played abunch of 3a teams in non district. They are not ready for the defense they are about to see Friday night

Well, the best way to lose a game a this point in the season is to underestimate your opponent.  The Madisonville Mustangs are the real deal and have a coach in Rusty Nail who also knows how to win ballgames like this.  WO-S will have to come out with their top game to advance.

Do I think they will? Sure.

But there are no turkeys left after Thanksgiving.

WOS will be on a different level come Friday, I was not at the game but listened to it on KOGT and believe me Gary Stelly play by play makes you feel as though you have front row seats!! I haven't seen WOS back down to teams that have big physical and fast players.  WOS seems to thrive on that so what I see is a rejunvinated Mustang team that will hit the field with an aggressiveness like we are used to seeing.  CT hate him or love him the man speaks the truth, he was disappointed and didn't hold back on what he said was the problems so come Friday I can almost guarantee that every player and every coach will have their game face on! Mustangs win it by 3 TDs.

1 hour ago, WOSgrad said:

Well, the best way to lose a game a this point in the season is to underestimate your opponent.  The Madisonville Mustangs are the real deal and have a coach in Rusty Nail who also knows how to win ballgames like this.  WO-S will have to come out with their top game to advance.

Do I think they will? Sure.

But there are no turkeys left after Thanksgiving.

I know the coaches and players ain't underestimating anyone. Just showing me as a fan how much confidence I have in are D. 

It must be tough to be a back to back state champion and have to play a "perfect" game every week to keep the "fans" happy. Bottom line, a WIN is a WIN and the Mustangs are still playing in December. I completely agree that the 2017 Mustangs don't resemble the 2016 Mustangs, but they're still finding a way to get the W week after week. Have any of you critics noticed how many of these guys are 2 way players this season compared to last? WOS does not have the depth they did in the past, but they're doing a great job with what they have! To add to that, how many of these guys were even starters last year? You guys say the play book is too watered down or they won't open it up....I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume the Mustangs did not game plan for the Sophomore to be at QB all week long, but he did a great job when he got in there. Also, looked to me in the second half like the Mustangs slowed the game down to keep things from getting messy. One player took a punch to the groin, another had his helmet ripped off and a third mustang had another player take a swing at him. I could be wrong, but it looked like the Mustangs were getting 4-5 yards every run towards the end of the game. Why would you get away from something that's working? Protect the lead and your players. Everyone wants to critique and point fingers at the coaches, but I doubt they would trade jobs with them!

49 minutes ago, SD_2 said:

It must be tough to be a back to back state champion and have to play a "perfect" game every week to keep the "fans" happy. Bottom line, a WIN is a WIN and the Mustangs are still playing in December. I completely agree that the 2017 Mustangs don't resemble the 2016 Mustangs, but they're still finding a way to get the W week after week. Have any of you critics noticed how many of these guys are 2 way players this season compared to last? WOS does not have the depth they did in the past, but they're doing a great job with what they have! To add to that, how many of these guys were even starters last year? You guys say the play book is too watered down or they won't open it up....I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume the Mustangs did not game plan for the Sophomore to be at QB all week long, but he did a great job when he got in there. Also, looked to me in the second half like the Mustangs slowed the game down to keep things from getting messy. One player took a punch to the groin, another had his helmet ripped off and a third mustang had another player take a swing at him. I could be wrong, but it looked like the Mustangs were getting 4-5 yards every run towards the end of the game. Why would you get away from something that's working? Protect the lead and your players. Everyone wants to critique and point fingers at the coaches, but I doubt they would trade jobs with them!

No worries here! Another day at work!

Our play style is pretty conservative, but it also plays in our favor. Unlike past years, we have a running game that can pound and wear you down and also control the clock. We've never been able to run the ball like this so consistently. Cooper, Chaka and Sibley are a nice triple threat. I would enjoy seeing us throw it a little bit here and there. Necessarily doesn't have to be deep balls but Chaka can sling it. I like how we got #15 Jarron Morris more involved on offense this past game. He's one of those guys that you need to get the ball in his hands because he's been pretty exciting these past 3 years. I expect to see a complete  game this week. I am not going to predict a score, but we'll win comfortably.

1 hour ago, SD_2 said:

+1000

On 11/27/2017 at 8:09 PM, WOSgrad said:

3-0 works for me, too.

No that's not going to cut it with all do respect.Its time to show the state and the country what west Orange stark football is all about no more mistakes making teams look better than what they are, you want to beat or keep it close won't be because wos is helping u out no more b s from here on out mash mouth facemask shattering teeth rattling hits, the 2017 verson is just as good as 2014 15 and 16 if u don't believe me just watch!

Just an outsider reading the thread.........but there seems to be a lot of discontent among some of the WOS faithful. I actually find that very interesting. The reason I say that is what I saw in my hometown was the same thing. The more we won........the more it was no longer good enough. I was always on that win and advance thought. Many in Gilmer think if we ain't winning by 60 the sky is falling. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.......and that's usually not much.