Hurricane Season 2017

PhatMack19

My wife and I are supposed to go to Florien, Louisiana for a funeral this weekend.  Gonna try to leave tomorrow night after her meet the teacher.  I'm not real happy right now.  They're saying that Galveston might get 50 mph gusts and heavy rain as soon as tomorrow night, and that's not far from us in fannett.  Not looking forward to driving through this crap. 

1 hour ago, PhatMack19 said:

Some models predicting that the storm will make landfall then head back in the gulf, strengthen the head for us on Wednesday 

I hope I'm right. I predict some thunderstorms and a little wind. Wasn't it Cindy that was supposed to wipe us off the face of the Earth and we got nothing? I'm the eternal optimist. Corpus will slow it down tremendously..... And I'm not even Jim Cantore, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn.

3 hours ago, baddog said:

I hope I'm right. I predict some thunderstorms and a little wind. Wasn't it Cindy that was supposed to wipe us off the face of the Earth and we got nothing? I'm the eternal optimist. Corpus will slow it down tremendously..... And I'm not even Jim Cantore, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn.

Sleeping at a Holiday Inn doesn't help. Got to be a Holiday Inn Express.

4 minutes ago, baddog said:

I've seen lots of hurricanes in my life although it doesn't make me an expert, but Harvey was predicted to make landfall at 4:00 a.m. It is making landfall now and they missed by almost 8 hours. Isn't that pretty bad?

I saw a weather guy earlier say that Harvey hasn't done anything like normal hurricane is supposed to, and they really have no clue what's going to happen.

We've all known for years that weathermen have no clue, but Harvey actually has them admitting it on live TV.  

Just talked to a buddy in Victoria.  He's got a roof leak, a tree on his chicken coup, and his neighbor's barn is in his yard. But his house is still there so that's good. Prayers go to those poor folks down there in that area.  

We just had a pretty nasty rain band come through Kemah that dumped about 3" in about an hour. If this keeps up for the next 3-4 days,  we're proper screwed. 

On 8/25/2017 at 0:49 PM, baddog said:

Well, i'm going to apply for Cantore's job that I don't want.

Houston is not totally under water, but it's close.  This particular area, this subdivision, this house have not flooded yet, thank God, but a couple more days of rain like this and anything is possible.

It floods bad in areas South of here, near Antoine @ Victory, Antoine at Little York.

I was in Silsbee This past Thursday.  It was sunny and hot then.  I drove thru Sour Lake, Dayton, (not in that order) Kountze, Silsbee, of course, parts of Beaumont.  It was a nice visit.

9 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

Houston is underwater.  After predictions of up to 30" of rain, there were no evacuations mandated.  Pretty smart decision by the decision makers in Houston.  

Calling the shots on the mandatory and quick evacuation of 4.5 million people is no easy matter.  That is a massive, unprecedented exodus.  You're dealing with a fickle, storm, which may do this or may do that.  If you cram up the highways and the storm moves on out of the way you look bad.  If you don't call for evacuation and the city is swamped somebody is going to turn that in to a left/right political football and kick that for what it is worth.  It is a no win situation.

6 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

Calling the shots on the mandatory and quick evacuation of 4.5 million people is no easy matter.  That is a massive, unprecedented exodus.  You're dealing with a fickle, storm, which may do this or may do that.  If you cram up the highways and the storm moves on out of the way you look bad.  If you don't call for evacuation and the city is swamped somebody is going to turn that in to a left/right political football and kick that for what it is worth.  It is a no win situation.

When every newscast that you see is calling for 25-30" of rain days ahead of the storm, you would think something should have been done.  This, knowing that it only takes 2-3" to flood homes in some parts of Houston, just doesn't look good for the mayor.  As far as the storm moving out of the way, anybody watching the news knew that wasn't happening.  This is one time the weathermen pretty much got it right.

6 minutes ago, baddog said:

Well, i have been wrong before. Has anyone else heard that Harvey is backing up? I would have thought he would break up and not be defined anymore.

Will enter the gulf on Tuesday, and head north through Harris county and then up to my neck of the woods in Polk county, still as Tropical Storm Harvey.  Projected as of now.

23 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

When every newscast that you see is calling for 25-30" of rain days ahead of the storm, you would think something should have been done.  This, knowing that it only takes 2-3" to flood homes in some parts of Houston, just doesn't look good for the mayor.  As far as the storm moving out of the way, anybody watching the news knew that wasn't happening.  This is one time the weathermen pretty much got it right.

In 2005, two or three weeks after Katrina hit New Orleans, hurricane Rita, a category 5 storm, was threatening to smash Houston.  A mandatory evacuation was ordered and 2.5 million hit the highways, at once.  Fights broke out on the road.  People suffered from heat stroke while waiting in traffic.  A bus filled with nursing patients caught fire and blew up, killing 24.  More died in the evacuation than were killed in the hurricane.  Meanwhile Rita weakened to a category 3 by the time it made landfall-in East Texas.  It is not an easy decision to make, no matter who the mayor is.

12 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

In 2005, two or three weeks after Katrina hit New Orleans, hurricane Rita, a category 5 storm, was threatening to smash Houston.  A mandatory evacuation was ordered and 2.5 million hit the highways, at once.  Fights broke out on the road.  People suffered from heat stroke while waiting in traffic.  A bus filled with nursing patients caught fire and blew up, killing 24.  More died in the evacuation than were killed in the hurricane.  Meanwhile Rita weakened to a category 3 by the time it made landfall-in East Texas.  It is not an easy decision to make, no matter who the mayor is.

Not saying it is easy.  But, maybe evacuate the known trouble spots.