*Hardin-Jefferson vs. Houston Yates Updates*/Yates wins 119-91

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious ST413 if size was not the problem, then how did Swift and Inowa combine for 49 points?

The real difference was depth.  Once HJ got into foul trouble in the 3rd is when the game got out of hand.  Mays picking up #3 and #4 within 6 seconds was the turning point of the game.  And it went from a single digit point game to a 20 point lead almost instantly!!!

Their length, quickness and unbelievable shooting percentage was the difference.

[quote name="jackyateshoops" post="1377726" timestamp="1361522419"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=109659.msg1377587#msg1377587 date=1361500733]
Final

Yates      119
HJ            91

I will post final team stats later tonight.
[/quote]

Thanks again for your coverage of the game. HJ played a good game and we wish them well....hope you will be covering the next game.
[/quote]Oh Lord, JY invading S.E.Texas from all fronts now

[quote name="ST413" post="1377716" timestamp="1361513673"]
First off let me congratulate HJ on another good season.  You playe your hearts out tonight and have nothing to be ashamed of.  I noticed a nice moment after the game between Coach Sutherland and Devante Johnson.  It was a long emotinal embrace that gave me the impression of a lesson learned by a young man.  I hate to see a kids career end the way his did but hopefully it taught him a lesson that will make him a better person in the long run.

Tonight the big difference in this game wasn't size it was fatigue.  HJ played their hearts out in the first half and neutralized the size difference. They had a nice lead in rebounds that first half and size wasn't playing that much of a factor.  In the second half they began to get tired and at one point so was Yates.  Yates had a nice lead and got to give key players rest. And even though tired when they saw the chance they found energy and went for the kill.  With tired legs size did play more of a factor.

Now if my Tigers get the chance to play Yates it will be exciting.  We will have to have a very good game all around.  As far as speed,  I think the Tigers have the edge.  Pace of play may be faster on the Yates side.  If we have a good game,  the big question will be whether or not we run out of gas.  If we don't it could be interesting all the way to the buzzer,  if we do  Yates could pull away.  If the Tigers can stay right with Yates or even have a lead and limit the use of their bench fatigue could even become a factor for Yates. 

One interesting thing tonight for me was Melvin Swift ot starting.  I am not sure what starting lineup Yates has had recently, but when I saw them early in the year they started 4 players 6'6 or taller tonight they started only 2 that size.  That takes away a good bit of that size advantage.  The Tigers and HJ are pretty similar in size,  hopefully the Tigers can limit the effectiveness of Yates size.

BUT FIRST WE MUST TAKE CARE OF KASHMERE TOMORROW NIGHT.
[/quote] I think the Houston crowd has mentioned several times that one of several strategies Yates employs is to wear the other team down by the 4th qtr. They don't care if you're scoring because while the opposing team is celebrating.....................................................!!

wasn't at game

heard there was a lot of dunks

HJ should ve made them pay after several dunks.  Foul hard....really hard to send a message....to the point of knocking them to the floor......  Basketball is a contact sport as well.  Im not saying hurt intentionally, but if you ve played at a high level you know what im talking about.

If they hit they re free throws so be it.  Which is a lower percentage than a dunk

of those 2nd half field goal percentages how many were actually 10 ft and beyond jump shots?

[quote name="jackyateshoops" post="1377726" timestamp="1361522419"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=109659.msg1377587#msg1377587 date=1361500733]
Final

Yates      119
HJ            91

I will post final team stats later tonight.
[/quote]

Thanks again for your coverage of the game. HJ played a good game and we wish them well....hope you will be covering the next game.
[/quote]

No problem. Great to finally get to meet you in person last night.

I hope to be at the next one as well. Silsbee still has some Kashmere business to handle first.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1377776" timestamp="1361544838"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=109659.msg1377704#msg1377704 date=1361510220]
Good introduction to a different and higher level of basketball for HJ.
[/quote]

Not an introduction at all.  Many of the HJ kids have played against AAU all star teams in the past.
[/quote]  :-X :-X

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1377793" timestamp="1361545535"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=109659.msg1377776#msg1377776 date=1361544838]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=109659.msg1377704#msg1377704 date=1361510220]
[/quote]

Not an introduction at all.  Many of the HJ kids have played against AAU all star teams in the past.
[/quote]

Much closer to the "whole truth"

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1377804" timestamp="1361545957"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=109659.msg1377793#msg1377793 date=1361545535]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=109659.msg1377776#msg1377776 date=1361544838]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What are you getting at Mr. Nash//

Lazeek,  I didn't say size wasn't a problem just that in the first half size wasn't that big of a factor.  With Yates size I would have expected a significant lead in rebounds and several blocks on the perimeter from big guys running at a shooter.  Inside yes there were times in that first half where there were blocks and altered shots but I didn't feel like there were that many more than against any good team.  Now sure there were other areas where size played a part.  Every time HJ got trapped in the corner, size played a part. But HJ got out of those traps fairly well.  and yes that size was a factor in many of those turnovers but I still felt HJ neutralized it pretty well at least for a half.  You did hit the point with the depth.  That played a large part in that second half.  Fatigue set in and made size even a bigger obstacle.  Size definitely played a part in that shooting percentage in the second half as most of those shots were made on or close to the rim.  But still like you said depth was the big problem.  Too many fresh legs.

I don't think that I have ever been so proud of my Hawks as I was last night. I have to say Dickie V is 100% correct, they are as good of a high school team as I have ever seen. They should be, they are the best that Houston has to offer. Hawks were in great shape until we lost our post presence. The final score was not a true indication of how close the game was. Great job by the coaching staff they put together a great game plan that made their press look silly sometimes.I cant say enough about the young men on the floor last night. They were NOT intimidated by them one bit. IMOHO I think that we played our best game of the year. You truly played with great resolve and the heart of a champion.......Great Job Hawks!

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1377804" timestamp="1361545957"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=109659.msg1377793#msg1377793 date=1361545535]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Unless you were there, stay away from this subject matter  ;)

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1377865" timestamp="1361550869"]
I don't think that I have ever been so proud of my Hawks as I was last night. I have to say Dickie V is 100% correct, they are as good of a high school team as I have ever seen. They should be, they are the best that Houston has to offer. Hawks were in great shape until we lost our post presence. The final score was not a true indication of how close the game was. Great job by the coaching staff they put together a great game plan that made their press look silly sometimes.I cant say enough about the young men on the floor last night. They were NOT intimidated by them one bit. IMOHO I think that we played our best game of the year. You truly played with great resolve and the heart of a champion.......Great Job Hawks!
[/quote]

Experience is the GREATEST teacher, Poppabearstarr! ;)....Some just think the world STOPS at the Jefferson/Hardin County line! 8)...Honestly, Yates has no business even BEING in 3A, because they are moving right back up after next year...It was a move for football...an experiment...Should have never been.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1377873" timestamp="1361551246"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=109659.msg1377865#msg1377865 date=1361550869]
[/quote]God points!

Experience is the GREATEST teacher, Poppabearstarr! ;)....Some just think the world STOPS at the Jefferson/Hardin County line! 8)...Honestly, Yates has no business even BEING in 3A, because they are moving right back up after next year...It was a move for football...an experiment...Should have never been.
[/quote]

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1377872" timestamp="1361551203"]
[quote author=Stevenash link=topic=109659.msg1377804#msg1377804 date=1361545957]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Unless you were there, stay away from this subject matter  ;)
[/quote]

I am a lot more conversant with the subject than you know/believe.

[quote name="Dick Vitale" post="1377873" timestamp="1361551246"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=109659.msg1377865#msg1377865 date=1361550869]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think that anyone actually thought that the world stopped at the county line...I agree, they are not a 3A team. They are good, but that is not the only place that plays basketball either...My Lady Hawks showed the yates girls how to get it done earlier this week. ;)

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1378080" timestamp="1361570083"]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=109659.msg1377873#msg1377873 date=1361551246]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]I don't think that anyone actually thought that the world stopped at the county line[/b]...I agree, they are not a 3A team. They are good, but that is not the only place that plays basketball either...My Lady Hawks showed the yates girls how to get it done earlier this week. ;)
[/quote]

Poppa- You must understand that there are those who are "offended" by the degree of success the basketball program has experienced in little old rural (and tiny) Sour Lake.

[quote name="Stevenash" post="1378097" timestamp="1361571855"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=109659.msg1378080#msg1378080 date=1361570083]
[quote author=Dick Vitale link=topic=109659.msg1377873#msg1377873 date=1361551246]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]I don't think that anyone actually thought that the world stopped at the county line[/b]...I agree, they are not a 3A team. They are good, but that is not the only place that plays basketball either...My Lady Hawks showed the yates girls how to get it done earlier this week. ;)
[/quote]

Poppa- You must understand that there are those who are "offended" by the degree of success the basketball program has experienced in little old rural (and tiny) Sour Lake.
[/quote]

Not even a moral victory with such a crushing defeat last night for the success-studded program. Swiped aside like an also-ran

[quote name="5gallonbucket" post="1377772" timestamp="1361544485"]
wasn't at game

heard there was a lot of dunks

HJ should ve made them pay after several dunks.  Foul hard....really hard to send a message....to the point of knocking them to the floor......  Basketball is a contact sport as well.  Im not saying hurt intentionally, but if you ve played at a high level you know what im talking about.

If they hit they re free throws so be it.  Which is a lower percentage than a dunk

of those 2nd half field goal percentages how many were actually 10 ft and beyond jump shots?
[/quote] who cares how many were 10+ ft? This is incredible, matched only by the HJ fan sitting behind me that said after each Yates dunk, "What's the big deal? Look how tall he is. He SHOULD be able to dunk like that." OK, he didn't say it after every Yates' dunk. He stopped after the 9th or 10th one. DeNIAL. Bitter. Y'all should've listened when all of us with even passing familiarity with Yates hoops said it would end for them like this way back when alignments were announced.  Really. Y'all shoulda

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder