great running backs you had the pleaser in watching from s.e texas

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1240590" timestamp="1343611207"]
Sticking with just southeast Texas players (that is the title of the thread, but knew some would bring up other names), there have been many very good running backs from SETX, but not sure if you could call them great.

Wooster, Byerly, Rodney Thomas of Groveton and maybe a couple of others could be considered great running backs.

The best one game performance by a local running back that I have ever seen was by Silsbee's Jay McGuire in '93. He rushed for 464 yards and 6 TD's against Nederland. He had over 600 all-purpose yards that night. (rushing, receiving, returns).
[/quote]

I was at that game. He had over 250 at halftime and then returned a kickoff for a touchdown in the 3rd. Brian Spell and Eric Cammack also had a real nice game. Silsbee won 48-44 and later won again in the playoffs.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Jay McGuire-Silsbee
2. Darrel Harold-Livingston
3. Lee land McElroy-Central
4. Dexter Hebert-Kelly
5. Johnathan Limbrick-Jasper
6. Kendal Cleveland-WOS
7. Troy Summarl-Nederland
8. Anthony Malbrough-West Brook
9. Adrian Arline/Detrice Spearman-Silsbee
10. Terence Currington-Jasper

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1241040" timestamp="1343778502"]
1. Jay McGuire-Silsbee
2. Darrel Harold-Livingston
3. Lee land McElroy-Central
4. Dexter Hebert-Kelly
5. Johnathan Limbrick-Jasper
6. Kendal Cleveland-WOS
7. Troy Summarl-Nederland
8. Anthony Malbrough-West Brook
9. Adrian Arline/Detrice Spearman-Silsbee
10. Terence Currington-Jasper
[/quote]

I take it you never saw Jamaal Charles play in high school ? He didn't even make your top 10. I do agree that Jay is top three to those that watched him play

[quote name="songone" post="1241010" timestamp="1343769300"]
[quote author=mypooh link=topic=101325.msg1241006#msg1241006 date=1343768375]
[quote author=texasaggie link=topic=101325.msg1240971#msg1240971 date=1343761830]
SETX: C-Mike and Sherman Gilbert
Non-SETX: Leroy Dobbins-Montgomery (saw him from on the field) and Cody Johnson-Waller
[/quote]

Dobbins where he go to college ?
[/quote]I have been wondering that myself
[/quote]

He went to a prep school in New York last year and this year he'll play his freshman year at Tyler JC. He tries hard but he just has a bunch of learning disabilities.

A guy from Newton named Jimmy Walker (early '70's). Went to Texas and played for Darrell Royal. Coach Barbay wouldn't hesitate when asked who was the best he ever coached and would answer Jimmy Walker. Didn't have much surounding him and done it mostly on his own. Paved the way for Anthony Byerly. Also Bubba Bean from Kirbyville. Old time run over you and keep churning. Great backs.

Rodney Thomas was the best I remember seeing.

Jeff Spikes from Burkeville was a beast too. 3,000+ yards as a senior and 7,500+ in his career.

T.J. Walker from Hull-Daisetta was a great pure running back as well. Rushed for over 1,600 yards as a sophomore, tore his ACL the first game of his junior year and bounced back to have a monster 2,000 yard season as a senior.

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="1241552" timestamp="1343925370"]

Jeff Spikes from Burkeville was a beast too. 3,000+ yards as a senior and 7,500+ in his career.

T.J. Walker from Hull-Daisetta was a great pure running back as well. Rushed for over 1,600 yards as a sophomore, tore his ACL the first game of his junior year and bounced back to have a monster 2,000 yard season as a senior.
[/quote]where is T.J.??

By for the best running backs I watched were jamaal charles and his brother shanderick, don't quote me on the spelling, but the funnest to watch was Ron mcgill, goesby Ron Chatangier now. With him it was pitch right pitch left, speed wise I would put him against anyone and that was with the 3 knee surgeries he had. And yes that playoff game against jasper was a matchup between him and their blue chip allamerican they had who by the way couldn't stop Ron. Hell of a game which png won 28-14!

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1241561" timestamp="1343926153"]
[quote author=HDBobcats9 link=topic=101325.msg1241552#msg1241552 date=1343925370]

[/quote]where is T.J.??
[/quote]

Last I'd heard T.J. is still around the HD/Raywood/Liberty area. He never got his grades right to go play college ball. He made All-State at running back as a senior. Two years after he graduated T.J. hopped on a train in Beaumont heading towards Liberty because he didn't have a ride home from a party one night. He jumped off in Raywood and when he did, his foot was nearly cut off by the train, and was later amputated after he was air lifted to Herman hospital. I saw him a couple years ago at Wal-Mart in Liberty...couldn't tell he had a prosthetic foot, same big smile, and looked like he could still line up at tailback. He had a some on and off field issues that he was never able to overcome as far as football is concerned. He was one hell of a running back though.

[quote name="HDBobcats9" post="1241614" timestamp="1343932411"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=101325.msg1241561#msg1241561 date=1343926153]
[quote author=HDBobcats9 link=topic=101325.msg1241552#msg1241552 date=1343925370]

[/quote]where is T.J.??
[/quote]

Last I'd heard T.J. is still around the HD/Raywood/Liberty area. He never got his grades right to go play college ball. He made All-State at running back as a senior. Two years after he graduated T.J. hopped on a train in Beaumont heading towards Liberty because he didn't have a ride home from a party one night. He jumped off in Raywood and when he did, his foot was nearly cut off by the train, and was later amputated after he was air lifted to Herman hospital. I saw him a couple years ago at Wal-Mart in Liberty...couldn't tell he had a prosthetic foot, same big smile, and looked like he could still line up at tailback. He had a some on and off field issues that he was never able to overcome as far as football is concerned. He was one heck of a running back though.
[/quote]sad. he was a good one. good athlete, could hoop too.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317