*#1 HARDIN-JEFFERSON @ #4 SILSBEE Broadcast*/SILSBEE WINS 59-56!!!!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1160018" timestamp="1326572891"]
Was just going through the game broadcast from last night. [b]At the 3:51 mark of the 2nd quarter, HJ's Shawn Prudhomme got a break away 2 hand slam(only dunk of the game for either team)[/b] to up the Hawks lead to 25-14, largest of the game for HJ. From that point on till 3 seconds left in the 3rd quarter (game time total of 11:48) Silsbee out scored HJ 35-6, to give them their largest lead (and the largest lead for either team) at 49-31.

This 35-6 run is a pretty good reason among others as to why Silsbee won the game. ;)
[/quote]

BTW, for those "dunk enthusiasts", that dunk for HJ didn't do them much good but it sent Silsbee on a 35-6 run. ;)

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1160028" timestamp="1326573919"]
BTW, for those "dunk enthusiasts", that dunk for HJ didn't do them much good but it sent Silsbee on a 35-6 run. ;)
[/quote]I've been waiting for someone to jump on that little tid-bit.

Sometimes I think SETXSports doesn't ever let a topic die, no more how long its been in its death-throws!  ;)

Well after about 15 hours of thinking about it I have come to this conclusion.

1. Free Throws either make or break a team (im not saying that this is the main reason why HJ lost the game but it was a big factor) no matter if I'm coaching my junior little dribblers team or watching the NBA making points with the clock stopped is a critical opportunity that each team has to utilize to their advantage.

2. Turnovers killed both of them...no matter if HJ won or if Silsbee won, both teams had way to many turnovers then they should have had.

Now with that being said, throw it all out the window cause its over there is nothing you can do about it. HJ its time to pick yourself up and dust your self off and go back to work on Monday. Its better to lose now then to lose when it counts in the playoffs. Silsbee congrats on the win, hands down one of the best high school basketball games i have ever seen. Yall deserve it!  the 31st can't get here fast enough!!!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1160022" timestamp="1326573178"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=94174.msg1160018#msg1160018 date=1326572891]
Was just going through the game broadcast from last night. At the 3:51 mark of the 2nd quarter, HJ's Shawn Prudhomme got a break away 2 hand slam(only dunk of the game for either team) to up the Hawks lead to 25-14, largest of the game for HJ. From that point on till 3 seconds left in the 3rd quarter (game time total of 11:48) Silsbee out scored HJ 35-6, to give them their largest lead (and the largest lead for either team) at 49-31.

Dove I'm a supporter! I'm all over the board before and after. I speak clearly that HJ is a poor loser. I didn't think Silsbee could be these guys and they proved me wrong. 27-0 was a fluke.

This 35-6 run is a pretty good reason among others as to why Silsbee won the game. ;)
[/quote]I would also summarize that Silsbee's experience in playing some big games had something to do with the 35-6 run. Their mental game was running on high octane.
[/quote]

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1160028" timestamp="1326573919"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=94174.msg1160018#msg date=1326572891]
Was just going through the game broadcast from last night. [b]At the 3:51 mark of the 2nd quarter, HJ's Shawn Prudhomme got a break away 2 hand slam(only dunk of the game for either team)[/b] to up the Hawks lead to 25-14, largest of the game for HJ. From that point on till 3 seconds left in the 3rd quarter (game time total of 11:48) Silsbee out scored HJ 35-6, to give them their largest lead (and the largest lead for either team) at 49-31.

[/quote]

[/quote]Whoot, there it is!  8) 8)

Guest jettyman
Shooting a free throw in a game is like singing a solo in choir concert you hit a bad note and it is very noticeable.  Put that person back in the group and they miss a note and the chorus will cover it up.  Undoubtably, 35% from the line is beyond unacceptable and certainly swayed the  game.  Unfortunately, the chorus of the the game covered up 17% from 3ptville and 27 TO's which in my belief also contributed to the final score. AAW referred to the run and much of the Hawks early momentum was shifted by TO's. Turnovers are killer, not only do we give up points plus we loss an opportunity to score or in last night case miss a FT.  :-[  Not sure how many points were accumulated by Silsbee related to turnovers but it is safe to say 14.  in addition if we would have scored an avg. of 2 pts on a third of those possessions that is a 32 point swing. (27/3=9x2=18+14=32). Basketball is a game of possession, each one is important when it comes to deciding the outcome of a closely contested game. The good thing is all these game components are correctable and I am most certain each one will be addressed.  They often say coaches can't change the heart of athlete and neither side will have to worry about that. Both teams exhibited passion and effort above and beyond the call of duty.  Now off the cook, eat and watch some NFL playoffs. 

You just hit a point I have been thinking about.  Much has been made of the poor free their shooting. That was big. But it wasnt much worse than the Tigers from the stripe.if the Tigers had shot as many as the Hawks  at the same percentage, they would have only made four our maybe five more.  Could have been a difference but not by much. However, I have heard all test about how many threes h j has been hitting and last night they only hit 3/18 whole the Tigers hit 7.  As far as shooting stats, I thought that was huge.

I am another person that rarely post although I really enjoy yalls comments.  I thought both teams played a great game. The way I saw it was like this.  It was a tied ball game with 8 seconds to go.  HJ had a shot to win it and Silsbee got a shot to win it.  HJ missed there shot,Silsbee hit there's.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1160024" timestamp="1326573390"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=94174.msg1160022#msg1160022 date=1326573178]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=94174.msg1160018#msg1160018 date=1326572891]
Was just going through the game broadcast from last night. At the 3:51 mark of the 2nd quarter, HJ's Shawn Prudhomme got a break away 2 hand slam(only dunk of the game for either team) to up the Hawks lead to 25-14, largest of the game for HJ. From that point on till 3 seconds left in the 3rd quarter (game time total of 11:48) Silsbee out scored HJ 35-6, to give them their largest lead (and the largest lead for either team) at 49-31.

[/quote]I would also summarize that Silsbee's experience in playing some big games had something to do with the 35-6 run. Their mental game was running on high octane.
[/quote]

"Some" will dispute this claim. ;) ;D
[/quote]

If the 35-6 run is attributable to the superior schedule, is it reasonable to assume  that giving up an 18 point lead must also be attributable to that same schedule?  I would also dispute the theory that the Prudhomme dunk had anything to do with causing the 35-6 run.  If I am wrong, then circumstances similar to these will show up again in a couple of weeks because the relationship between the two respective schedules will not have changed. 

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="1160100" timestamp="1326579708"]
You know... maybe the reason for the poor shooting from behind the 3 and the high number of turn overs was partially caused by good intense defense!  I mean, no matter the offensive power of either team, both of these schools live and breathe (and thrive) on good in-your-face defense!
[/quote]

Precisely!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1160024" timestamp="1326573390"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=94174.msg1160022#msg1160022 date=1326573178]

[/quote]

"Some" will dispute this claim. ;) ;D
[/quote]I wonder why ;D

[quote name="bmrm" post="1159743" timestamp="1326517060"]
[quote author=stigers12 link=topic=94174.msg1159737#msg1159737 date=1326516568]
Silsbee had to take it easy with that defense due to foul trouble in the 4th quarter and i think thats what let HJ back in the game. What does that say about the effects of silsbees extremely tough schedule compared to HJ's exceptionally easy one?
[/quote]

I see why your smite count is at 38.
[/quote]
what are you talking about? I didn't say anything bad about hj? I said that silsbee wasn't able to apply that aggressive, in your face defense that was so successful in the 3rd quarter once they got into so much foul trouble. And then i asked everyones opinion on how they thought the tough/easy schedules of silsbee and hj respectively impacted the game. why'd i get jumped on about that?

How can HJ be the better team? The great teams find a way to win, which silsbee did, not miss all their free throws. Hj is a great team but Id say there about as evenly matched as it gets. Had the shot not gone in, theres no telling what overtime would have brought! Silsbee was outscored in 2 quarters while outscoring hj in 2. Yes hj came storming back, but silsbee went on a crazy run to be in the lead in the first place. Shawns 3 to end the third was a huge momentum boost, but in the clutch when it mattered silsbee stopped the bleeding and kept hj from making the go ahead shot. Great game, imo silsbee proved who's better, for now at least. We'll see how they bounce back.

[quote name="stigers12" post="1160233" timestamp="1326589870"]
How can HJ be the better team? The great teams find a way to win, which silsbee did, not miss all their free throws. Hj is a great team but Id say there about as evenly matched as it gets. Had the shot not gone in, theres no telling what overtime would have brought! Silsbee was outscored in 2 quarters while outscoring hj in 2. Yes hj came storming back, but silsbee went on a crazy run to be in the lead in the first place. Shawns 3 to end the third was a huge momentum boost, but in the clutch when it mattered silsbee stopped the bleeding and kept hj from making the go ahead shot. Great game, imo silsbee proved who's better, for now at least. We'll see how they bounce back.
[/quote]C'mon, man!  Silsbee, with a home court advantage squeaks out a 3 point win.  That doesn't prove that they are better.  It just proves that they were better [u][b]Friday Night![/b][/u]

Methinks that an 8 game series would end up 4 to 4. 

I must admit that I was talking about that I thought that HJ was the cream of the crop this year in district.  However, it just goes to show that on any given night anyone can win.  If you are looking at all of the stats Silsbee did very well and looked on paper as to why they won the game.  When you hold HJ to that kind of shooting night they are very beatable, but so is any other team in this district.  Bottom line is that you are only as good as your last ball game and right now the edge goes to Silsbee until the next time.  Then I am sure that we can start the debate all over again.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1159942" timestamp="1326563294"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=94174.msg1159939#msg1159939 date=1326562972]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=94174.msg1159935#msg1159935 date=1326562410]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=94174.msg1159931#msg1159931 date=1326562251]
Schedule had nothing to do with it.  Had HJ got blown out then you can say something about the schedule.

HJ came from 18 down to tie, that takes heart and guts to come back.  They could not get over the hill, and a great shot from 35 feet sealed the deal.  HJ lost on FT's!!!!!

I can assure you that HJ will never shoot 35% from the FT line again.

The better team beat themselves last night!!!!

The better team lost the game at the line!!!

No other reason!!!
[/quote]

Gee, very Cooper-esque of you!  But sorry, the better team did win. You know how I know?  The scoreboard said so.

[/quote]

That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.  I have given credit to Silsbee.    And I am far from Cooper!!!

You have never seen either team play, so WTH do you know?
[/quote]

Don't have to know anything, all I have to do is read a scoreboard any talk about "happenings" as [b]your soul mate used to put it, is just that talk.[/b]

BTW, don't cuss on the board. You know our board owner doesn't like that

Who are you referring to.....
[/quote]

There is one thing I have noticed that hasn't been said yet in this conversation.  First, I was proud of all the Tigers for their play last night,  but I want to congratulate a couple for their  performances both Jacob Dobbins and Patrick Read.  The Tigers big men gave up a couple of inches to three of HJs starters and half a foot to a reserve,  and they did a fantastic job down low fighting for rebounds and playing some good defense.  Great job guys!!

I listened to most of the game last night, but i was on my iphone and didn't feel like making a long drawn-out post, and i've been at the deer lease all day, so...

1. congrats to silsbee on a great win.  while i picked HJ to win, i'm not surprised at all that Silsbee was able to pull this one off at home.

2. congrats to the hawks on a great comeback.  to be down that much with just a minute or so left in the 3rd and to be able to come back and tie it is MUCH more shocking than the fact that Silsbee won.

3. HJ's poor freethrow shooting was the biggest factor in this result.  Yes, Silsbee deserves a lot of credit for their performance, but if HJ shoots a mere 50% from the line they win. 

4. While Silsbee's game winning shot was very lucky, the fact that they were in position to make a lucky game winning shot was not luck at all.  They have a very good team, and they're even better at their home gym.

5. While i never want HJ to lose to Silsbee, i think in the long run this loss will likely be more valuable to the hawks than a win would have been.  A team that faces very little adversity through the season is set up for a letdown once they get deep into the playoffs.

6. I still think HJ is the better team, but the best team doesn't always win... and Friday night Silsbee WAS the best team, but barely.

7. These two teams are the best two teams in the region, and i fully expect one of them to representing SETX at state in a couple of months.

8. I believe that Silsbee's strength of schedule helped prepare them for this game, but HJ's perceived lack of strength of schedule did not have a major impact in their play in this game.  HJ has played some really solid teams, but they beat them badly, which leads people to believe that their schedule has been weak.

9.  The Silsbee/HJ games are among the top local sporting events we have in the area every year.

10. I expect HJ to beat Silsbee by 10-15 points at HJ.  HJ will shoot better at home, and they'll still have their height advantage and the speed to match up with the Tigers.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="1160349" timestamp="1326600784"]
[quote author=stigers12 link=topic=94174.msg1160233#msg1160233 date=1326589870]
[/quote]C'mon, man!  Silsbee, with a home court advantage squeaks out a 3 point win.  That doesn't prove that they are better.  It just proves that they were better [u][b]Friday Night![/b][/u]

Methinks that an 8 game series would end up 4 to 4.
[/quote]
I said they're very evenly matched! Either one is capable of beating the other, but tell me this: if Silsbee was the better team Friday night, then what have they lost by saturday morning that lessens that? If Silsbee was the better team on that given night, don't they earn the title of the best until it can be proven that they aren't?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder