19-4A vs 20-4A...Who's better and why?

[quote name="liltex" post="1051437" timestamp="1315422656"]
(Better) Dayton fields 1 of the better teams year after year.Lawd if we ever suit 40(PNG)seniors-twice the norm,we gonna roll.(Why)BOT I'd like to know the differance in the # of seniors in 19-4a vs.20-4a?Willing to bet 20-4a as a dist.prolly has 100 more seniors than 19-4a has.So when comparing apples to apples ya'll got more mature apples in da basket.Example;2009 we played Vidor(playoffs)they had 33 to our 19 seniors
[/quote]
That can be debated because i know the year before vidor only had 7 seniors on the team....

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="liltex" post="1051437" timestamp="1315422656"]
(Better) Dayton fields 1 of the better teams year after year.Lawd if we ever suit 40(PNG)seniors-twice the norm,we gonna roll.(Why)BOT I'd like to know the differance in the # of seniors in 19-4a vs.20-4a?Willing to bet 20-4a as a dist.prolly has 100 more seniors than 19-4a has.So when comparing apples to apples ya'll got more mature apples in da basket.Example;2009 we played Vidor(playoffs)they had 33 to our 19 seniors
[/quote]
Suiting up 40 seniors really does not mean that much. Football is a way of life growing up at PNG. There are many seniors that just stick through the program because living here means you are taught that football is the best thing ever. Being taught that, it turns into a dream for most of those kids to be on that field in front of the thousands of Indian faithful. Who doesn't want to fulfill a dream?

Out of those 19 seniors at Dayton I can guarantee at least 14-15 of those guys were starting and 2-3 of the rest were players that got playing time and were good players. Out of PNG's 40, there is probably (on average) 15 or so starters, with about 5-10 of the rest that get good playing time and are good players.

The selection of players is the same, being 4A, but what it comes down to is that the guys at Dayton that don't get to play, quit. A lot of them at PNG stick around.

I heard on KTRH that the great and wonderful CONGRESSWOMAAAAAANN Sheila Jackson Lee, aka the most embarassing person in Houston, got the North Forest closure blocked.. I assume she screamed Racism! and people got scared..

Edit: Changed Shore to Forest. Cut me some slack, I had been at work all night and was super exhausted lol. Thanks for catching that mistake though octfeb..

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1051764" timestamp="1315461725"]
I heard on KTRH that the great and wonderful CONGRESSWOMAAAAAANN Sheila Jackson Lee, aka the most embarassing person in Houston, got the North Shore closure blocked.. I assume she screamed Racism! and people got scared..
[/quote]It's North Forest not North Shore  ;).. And your probably right about the rest....

Couple of things here.
One, Baytown has a huge stadium, so it's always going to look a little empty unless there are 10,000+ there.
The home side of Stallworth probably is as big as any other stadium's entire capacity in the Golden Triangle.

19-4A is closer to Houston.  As such, there is a lot more to get into on a Friday night.

You're not going to have a community type feel at CE King.  How many people that are living in that zone have been there for more than 10 years.  Not many I would bet.  Baytown and Galena Park are the same way.  Just a bunch of new transplants.  People trying to move closer to the refineries or to the job base of Houston.

I would venture to guess Lumberton and Nederland and the like have families that all know each other, have grown up there for generations, etc.

It's just a different demographic of people.

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1051825" timestamp="1315485674"]
Couple of things here.
One, Baytown has a huge stadium, so it's always going to look a little empty unless there are 10,000+ there.
The home side of Stallworth probably is as big as any other stadium's entire capacity in the Golden Triangle.

19-4A is closer to Houston.  As such, there is a lot more to get into on a Friday night.

You're not going to have a community type feel at CE King.  How many people that are living in that zone have been there for more than 10 years.  Not many I would bet.  Baytown and Galena Park are the same way.  Just a bunch of new transplants.  People trying to move closer to the refineries or to the job base of Houston.

I would venture to guess Lumberton and Nederland and the like have families that all know each other, have grown up there for generations, etc.

[/quote] Back, way back.. C.E.King is where I went to school... And there were always alot of fans in the stands on Friday night. There were also ALOT of kids in the band back then.  Around 170. Now they only have maybe 30?  Unfortunately  some parents NOT ALL use Friday night football games as a baby sitter.

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1051764" timestamp="1315461725"]
I heard on KTRH that the great and wonderful CONGRESSWOMAAAAAANN Sheila Jackson Lee, aka the most embarassing person in Houston, got the North Shore closure blocked.. I assume she screamed Racism! and people got scared..
[/quote]

Now that's funny! Michael Berry provides great comic relief, and he's from Orange!

[quote name="panamamyers" post="1051825" timestamp="1315485674"]
Couple of things here.

[b]It's just a different demographic of people.[/b][/quote]

This is quite true but it's absolutely sad.  My question to you would be how many of those people actually working in the plants/refineries in Sheldon/GP actually LIVE in those areas? 

I would be more familiar with Baytown.
The area of Baytown in which I grew up, known as Pelly, has changed completely.  I almost thought I had shown up to the wrong game when I went to watch Lee play Sterling.
It's probably pushing 70% Hispanic now.
I think most of the people in that area probably do work in the refineries of Baytown and Deer Park area.

There is just no connection to the school for the people that live there now  You do not have many fans going unless they have a kid in the band or on the team.  There are no casual fans other than me and a few others maybe.

The Lee band used to be one of the best in the state.  They would have well over 300 members.  They would spell out Ganders from goal line to goal line across the field.  Then they started spelling out Lee instead, now they can probably barely muster up an L.

This is easy, who has the most state championships??? I'll take 20-4A and our area. Beaumont at one time had the claim to fame as being the pro football capital of the World. Probably more kids out of WOS (former 4A until four years ago) in the pros now than any school in Texas. I would never admit it in person but it was pretty cool watching PNG set high school attendance records at the Astrodome.......

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="panamamyers" post="1051954" timestamp="1315502551"]
I would be more familiar with Baytown.
The area of Baytown in which I grew up, known as Pelly, has changed completely.  I almost thought I had shown up to the wrong game when I went to watch Lee play Sterling.
It's probably pushing 70% Hispanic now.
I think most of the people in that area probably do work in the refineries of Baytown and Deer Park area.

There is just no connection to the school for the people that live there now  You do not have many fans going unless they have a kid in the band or on the team.  There are no casual fans other than me and a few others maybe.

The Lee band used to be one of the best in the state.  They would have well over 300 members.  They would spell out Ganders from goal line to goal line across the field.  Then they started spelling out Lee instead, now they can probably barely muster up an L.
[/quote]

A long time ago, when there was still a Beaumont High Royal Purples, Baytown Lee came to town.  I can't remember how the game turned out (who won or lost) but I remember the size of the Lee band and the Ganders spelling.  Impressive.  The football team carried the largest travelling squad (number of players) that I have EVER seen.  A long time ago . . .

[quote name="octfeb" post="1051839" timestamp="1315487468"]
[quote author=panamamyers link=topic=87675.msg1051825#msg1051825 date=1315485674]
Couple of things here.

[/quote] Back, way back.. C.E.King is where I went to school... And there were always alot of fans in the stands on Friday night. There were also ALOT of kids in the band back then.  Around 170. Now they only have maybe 30?  Unfortunately  some parents NOT ALL use Friday night football games as a baby sitter.
[/quote]

Some parents are playing on Friday nights there........ ;D

[quote name="bh89-2" post="1052177" timestamp="1315525868"]
[quote author=octfeb link=topic=87675.msg1051839#msg1051839 date=1315487468]
[quote author=panamamyers link=topic=87675.msg1051825#msg1051825 date=1315485674]
Couple of things here.

[/quote]

Some parents are playing on Friday nights there........ ;D
[/quote]HA! I knew it! I knew I saw a smokin baby over there on the C.E.King side.. And you were trying to say you were leaving early to go see Crosby play ::) You were skipping right through to old 90... to C.E. King. ;D

I would have to say as a district 20-4A is more competitive. they have more teams that have a shot to make playoffs..
But since only 4 teams make playoffs and go head to head, I would have to say 19-4A has the better top 4 teams this year. We can all say what we think but it has proven that it is a tie. seems like we split every year.

[quote name="bh15" post="1052024" timestamp="1315509056"]
PNG won the state championship in 1974. They played Sterling at Lamar in the quarterfinals. Did they play the semifinal game in the dome that year?
[/quote]In 1974 PN-G lost in the semis to I believe Brazosport.
PN-G won state in 75.  In 1974 they played French at Lamar for bidistrict.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="bh89-2" post="1055907" timestamp="1315928690"]
Well, week two is down and another 20-4A falls.

Victims of 19-4A
Lumberton :'( (BH win)
PNG :'( (Crosby win)
Nederland :'(  (BH win and Dayton win)

Did I leave any sad souls off the list?
[/quote]

Looks like the best team in 20-4A might be BH.

[quote name="KennyRogers88" post="1055915" timestamp="1315929296"]
[quote author=bh89-2 link=topic=87675.msg1055907#msg1055907 date=1315928690]

Victims of 19-4A

[/quote]

[/quote]  ???

[quote name="KennyRogers88" post="1055915" timestamp="1315929296"]

Victims of 19-4A

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm sure they would be if they were in 20-4a.

Guest UHCoog14
[quote name="Cougtalk" post="1055964" timestamp="1315933432"]
[quote author=KennyRogers88 link=topic=87675.msg1055915#msg1055915 date=1315929296]

Victims of 19-4A

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
That's the point I was attempting to make.

[quote name="KennyRogers88" post="1055973" timestamp="1315934025"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=87675.msg1055964#msg1055964 date=1315933432]
[quote author=KennyRogers88 link=topic=87675.msg1055915#msg1055915 date=1315929296]

Victims of 19-4A

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
That's the point I was attempting to make.
[/quote]
With all due respect, Barbers Hill is a middle of the road team at best.  Beating Lumberton this year is no great feat.  Haven't gotten to see Big Ned play yet, but I don't thimk they are bringing the pain this year either.  Get you some of the boys from Central and tell me what you think.  BH can make the playoffs, but they are not the best team in any district...theirs or 20-4a.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder