HARDIN-JEFFERSON vs. SILSBEE BROADCAST/SILSBEE WINS 64-56!!!

WOSgrad

[quote name="ST4life" post="949671" timestamp="1295271890"]
Let me settle this so we can move on to the next game

Is HJ good this year?
Answer = [b]Yes[/b]

Did HJ hang with Silsbee @ the tiger den?
Answer = [b]Yes[/b]

Did HJ win against Silsbee?
Answer = [b]No[/b]
[/quote]You know, I think you're right, but I'd like to take it a little further.

Is Silsbee better than they have been in the last 5 years?  
Answer = Yes

Is HJ as strong as they have been in the last 5 years?
Answer = No, but the drop off is less than I anticipated.

I wouldn't be surprised if Silsbee goes all the way this year.  And, if HJ doesn't, I wouldn't be disappointed if it is Silsbee.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="949688" timestamp="1295275945"]
[quote author=ST4life link=topic=78734.msg949671#msg949671 date=1295271890]

Is HJ good this year?
Answer = [b]Yes[/b]

Answer = [b]Yes[/b]

Answer = [b]No[/b]
[/quote]You know, I think you're right, but I'd like to take it a little further.

[size=10pt][b]Is Silsbee better than they have been in the last 5 years? 
Answer = Yes[/b][/size]

I wouldn't be surprised if Silsbee goes all the way this year.  And, if HJ doesn't, I wouldn't be disappointed if it is Silsbee.

[/quote] Questionable

[quote name="ST4life" post="949696" timestamp="1295276628"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=78734.msg949688#msg949688 date=1295275945]

Is HJ good this year?
Answer = [b]Yes[/b]

Answer = [b]Yes[/b]

Answer = [b]No[/b]

Answer = Yes[/b][/size]

[/quote] Questionable
[/quote]Yes, questionable, but I think that 2nd team that you guys bring in are going to surprise some teams.  I'd have those guys press the heck out of other teams.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="949698" timestamp="1295276812"]
[quote author=ST4life link=topic=78734.msg949696#msg949696 date=1295276628]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=78734.msg949688#msg949688 date=1295275945]

Is HJ good this year?
Answer = [b]Yes[/b]

Answer = [b]Yes[/b]

Answer = [b]No[/b]

Answer = Yes[/b][/size]

[/quote] Questionable
[/quote]Yes, questionable, but I think that 2nd team that you guys bring in are going to surprise some teams.  I'd have those guys press the heck out of other teams.
[/quote]
I think this is the deepest bench the Tigers have had in the past 5 years they can all score and fill in when needed

But I think the Tigers have had a stronger starting 5 line-up possibly the 06-07 starting 5 which lost to HJ who went on to win state

[quote name="stevenash" post="949662" timestamp="1295266173"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=78734.msg949646#msg949646 date=1295245445]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=78734.msg949640#msg949640 date=1295244210]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=78734.msg949637#msg949637 date=1295242602]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=78734.msg949633#msg949633 date=1295241953]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=78734.msg949617#msg949617 date=1295239277]
Ok.. I'm going to try and make this very simple for you. Silsbee is better than HJ this year. Talent is better and you cant run from that truth. We can all spit out numbers of how bad a team is going to lose, but in the end, all that really natters is that the team you picked was right or wrong. I cant judge HJ from just one game, but I knew that team wasnt going to beat Silsbee, and will probably lose before they make it back to play Silsbee in playoffs. If you are judging your teams success of your record, then you sound like people from Vidor. Overall records can say whatever, but its the the true record of how you did versus QUALITY teams that lets you know just how good your team actually is.

Now we can argue over this HJ thing all day, but that isnt going to change what the record says.. Silsbee got the "W"... & HJ got the "L".... How bout HJ focus up for their games next week, and lets move on  ;)
[/quote]OK, I'm going to try and make this very simple for you.

Everybody who watched that game Friday night came away realizing one (or two) things.  Silsbee might be better than HJ, but HJ has the ability to beat Silsbee this year.  OK, maybe a few die hard fans may think its impossible, but the important thing is, the HJ players know it.  They suspected it at first, but they probably had doubts.  Now there is no doubt.... they can beat Silsbee.  It may take one or two "if only's" for HJ to pull off the win, but you and I both know that "if only's" happen all the time! 
[/quote]

:D Aint that the truth! One of those "If Only's" is going to to happen next time they play because it going to be played @ HJ  ;) Ask people from outside Sour Lake about that Home-cookin lol

[/quote]  He is already hedgin his bets by saying if HJ should win, it would only be because the refs cheated.  And he belittles some fan for thinking highly of their own team?  Have asked him twice how such an inferior team had a twelve point lead in the other teams home gym.  Never got a response.  Pretty interesting.  Here is the other FACT>  He OVERPLAYED his evaluation of HJ and cant escape that via the results from the first game.  Game indicated there was little difference between the two teams but he will NEVER admit his miscallculation(Silsbee will mop the floor with HJ) which is documented by the game.  H
[/quote]

I know you would like to think of yourself as the genius of this message board, and the ultimate guru of basketball, but your not.. HJ lost, and Silsbee won.. Want me to answer your question? Hj came out fired up because its a Huge Basketball rivalry.. Want me to give you an example too? PNG was beating Nederland 9-3 after the first quarter, and continued to play hard throughout the game because they wanted to beat us really bad, but in the end, the better team pulled away and got the win.. Sounds like the same kind of game we are talking about right now huh? Get over it.. Congrats to Silsbee on the win, and good luck to HJ moving foward
[/quote] 
That cant be.  Hj was "declared" as unworthy of Silsbee by a "guru of this message board" and that Silsbee would "mop the floor" with HJ.  HJ lead for the first three quarters(byas much as 12 pts) on the opponents floor (sorry- not the same case for Ned-PNG)NOthing has changed.  You simply overestimated your opinion of how  incompetent  HJ would be this year and you are wrong, not by my standards but by most reasonable people who dont have an axe to grind with some of the HJ faithful. HJ proved that there is not that much difference between the two teams other than Silsbee has superior depth.  That is acknowledged by both HJ and Silsbee supporters and strongly contradicts the "wisdomic" "mop the floor" prediction which, like it or not, was blatantly inaccurate.
[/quote]

Im done talking with you for now about this.. But dont worry, I will be back to chat again next time they play  ;)

OK, I'm going to try and make this very simple for you.

Everybody who watched that game Friday night came away realizing one (or two) things.  Silsbee [color=red]might[/color] be better than HJ, but HJ has the ability to beat Silsbee this year.  OK, maybe a few die hard fans may think its impossible, but the important thing is, the HJ players know it.  They suspected it at first, but they probably had doubts.  Now there is no doubt.... they can beat Silsbee.  It may take one or two "if only's" for HJ to pull off the win, but you and I both know that "if only's" happen all the time! 

No Silsbee is better than HJ they just proved that. I respect HJ basketball program and its tradition. i just wish they would play more of the big dogs in setx, and let go of the ifs and what ifs alone with the mights after a lost. c'mon man ;D

I was at the game Friday night, and what an awesome environment and atmosphere for a H.S. game.  It was a very good game, and the better team that night won the game.  My assessment is the HJ's starting five may be slightly better than Silsbee's.  However, Silsbee had the best player in the game (Stallworth) and had a much better and deeper bench.  If they were playing tomorrow, I would say that Silsbee would be favored, but not by a lot. 

Two good teams deserving of their rankings and fan support, playing a great rivalry game, and knowing that they will meet at least one more time and maybe twice.  Can't find a negative in there unless it's some trash on a message board by a few.  Most recognize it for what it is and they love the great competition.  That's what it's all about!

By the way, Dogs sounds like somebody who just strongly dislikes HJ for whatever reason.  I can tell you that Brian English respects HJ a lot and it wouldn't surprise me if he even pulls for them when Nederland is not playing them.  Sort of a mutual respect thing. Brian is the type of guy who rarely says anything negative about anybody or anything.  Great guy building a program the right way.  Just like Sutherland at HJ and Williams at Silsbee. 

Just my two cents...

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="Pumper" post="949771" timestamp="1295288668"]
I was at the game Friday night, and what an awesome environment and atmosphere for a H.S. game.  It was a very good game, and the better team that night won the game.  My assessment is the HJ's starting five may be slightly better than Silsbee's.  However, Silsbee had the best player in the game (Stallworth) and had a much better and deeper bench.  If they were playing tomorrow, I would say that Silsbee would be favored, but not by a lot. 

Two good teams deserving of their rankings and fan support, playing a great rivalry game, and knowing that they will meet at least one more time and maybe twice.  Can't find a negative in there unless it's some trash on a message board by a few.  Most recognize it for what it is and they love the great competition.  That's what it's all about!

By the way, Dogs sounds like somebody who just strongly dislikes HJ for whatever reason.  I can tell you that Brian English respects HJ a lot and it wouldn't surprise me if he even pulls for them when Nederland is not playing them.  Sort of a mutual respect thing. Brian is the type of guy who rarely says anything negative about anybody or anything.  Great guy building a program the right way.  Just like Sutherland at HJ and Williams at Silsbee. 

Just my two cents...
[/quote]

Well spoken, Mr. Pumper.

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="949357" timestamp="1295210085"]
I'm just glad that there is two or even three teams in this district that will push each other like they do.....it only helps in the playoffs....I will say for the last time, Congrats to Silsbee they were the reason for the win.....Yes as a HJ fan I'm upset we let this one slip away, yes we had them where we wanted them, and let it get away. I hope we win the next two from Silsbee, but I will settle for the last one we play against them this year... ;)

Some of you seem as though you want to pour salt in an open wound....trust me the respect that each HJ and Silsbee have for each other is huge. Each team knows that they are in for a tough fight each time they step on the court.
[/quote]

Good stuff, Poppa!

New TABC polls are out ... Silsbee stays put at No. 7 and H-J drops a notch to No. 11 ... wouldn't you think Silsbee would have improved its ranking even though the top 6 all won their games. Is there a strength of schedule factor in how the Top 25 teams are ranked?? Personally, I'm glad H-J only dropped one notch (if they deserved to drop at all) after the game they played Friday night. They were up by a bunch on Silsbee at one point in this game. Silsbee showed its grit in coming back in the fourth quarter, but H-J showed its talent in getting that far ahead of a team as good as the Tigers. ...

The Top 10 in 3A boys ...
1. (Last Week: 1) Lubbock Estacado (22-1) (Beat Shallowater and Paducah last week)
2. (Last Week: 2) Argyle (20-3) (Beat Iowa Park by forfeit and Gainesville last week)
3. (Last Week: 3) Cleveland (19-4) (Beat Oakhurst and Huffman last week)
4. (Last Week: 4) Burkburnett (19-2) (Beat Tascosa and Iowa Park last week)
5. (Last Week: 5) West Oso (20-3) (Beat John Paul II and Miller last week)
6. (Last Week: 6) Kennedale (20-2) (Beat Rains and Alvarado last week)
7. (Last Week: 7) Silsbee (20-2) (Beat No. 10 Hardin-Jefferson last week)
8. (Last Week: 8 ) Liberty Hill (20-4) (Beat Taylor last week)
9. (Last Week: 9) Hondo (18-3) (Beat No. 19 Somerset and Devine last week)
10. (Last Week: 11) San Antonio Houston (15-5) (Beat La Vernia and Yoakum last week)

Answer this ... How is a team playing .500 ball ranked No. 13? Is Dallas Madison's schedule so strong that they can lose half their games and still be in the top 15? Also, is Cleveland the real deal? They have four losses and are ranked in the Top 5.

It is because coaches are looking at who they have played.  They have probably played all 4A and 5A teams.  My senior year we were ranked in the top 3 all year and going into district play were 10-11.  We had lost more games than we had won.  But if you looked deeper you would have seen that we had played only 4A and 5A teams.  And beat 10 of them. And we were 2A.

I knew I would take a lot of heat for bashing HJ this year on this public forum, but I stay firm in my judgement until proven otherwise. They still lost the game, just like the other games they lost, all to quality teams.. I may not like the hype about them every year, but I respect HJ. They have been the top team in area for years and have the history to prove it. I just want people to wake up and realize that HJ is not a top notch team THIS year and will not reach the normal expectations.

As far as the WOS pick over HJ, I think the athleticism of WOS will end up beating HJ  ;)

[quote name="dogs1218" post="949823" timestamp="1295296507"]
I knew I would take a lot of heat for bashing HJ this year on this public forum, but I stay firm in my judgement until proven otherwise. They still lost the game, just like the other games they lost, all to quality teams.. I may not like the hype about them every year, but I respect HJ. They have been the top team in area for years and have the history to prove it. I just want people to wake up and realize that HJ is not a top notch team THIS year and will not reach the normal expectations.

As far as the WOS pick over HJ, I think the athleticism of WOS will end up beating HJ  ;)
[/quote]

HJ has never been a "top notch" team........even when they won state on 07 they were ranked higher than 5-7th in the state until after they won it all. 

Just what to you consider "top notch"???  I will give you a definition of "top notch".........Dallas Madison!!!!  Mark my words that they will be there in the end.  They play anyone and everyone on their schedule and so far their record proves it as they are about .500 on the season.

Dogs1218 I have no problem with you voicing your opinion and sticking to it..........and I don't have a problem with you always going against HJ.  Not that you care if I have a problem!!!! :D :D :D

I have even gone on record as saying that HJ is not as deep and not as quick as Silsbee, but I always think that the Hawks can and will beat the Tigers.  Just like you think that the Bulldogs can and will beat Ozen, Central, etc.  Nothing wrong with that!!!!

I have always pulled for Nederland and I will continue to do so.  Good luck to the Dogs on a district title and in the playoffs......I will be pulling for Coach English and the Dogs......the question is will you be pulling for the Hawks in district and the playoffs?? ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="949830" timestamp="1295297413"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=78734.msg949823#msg949823 date=1295296507]

[/quote]

HJ has never been a "top notch" team........even when they won state on 07 they were ranked higher than 5-7th in the state until after they won it all. 

Just what to you consider "top notch"???  I will give you a definition of "top notch".........Dallas Madison!!!!  Mark my words that they will be there in the end.  They play anyone and everyone on their schedule and so far their record proves it as they are about .500 on the season.

Dogs1218 I have no problem with you voicing your opinion and sticking to it..........and I don't have a problem with you always going against HJ.  Not that you care if I have a problem!!!! :D :D :D

I have even gone on record as saying that HJ is not as deep and not as quick as Silsbee, but I always think that the Hawks can and will beat the Tigers.  Just like you think that the Bulldogs can and will beat Ozen, Central, etc.  Nothing wrong with that!!!!

I have always pulled for Nederland and I will continue to do so.  Good luck to the Dogs on a district title and in the playoffs......I will be pulling for Coach English and the Dogs......the question is will you be pulling for the Hawks in district and the playoffs?? ;D ;D ;D
[/quote] And I congratulate you Zeek for having sufficient restraint and/or good sense not to say that Ozen would "mop the floor" with Nederland.

[quote name="gdickert" post="949798" timestamp="1295292647"]
New TABC polls are out ... Silsbee stays put at No. 7 and H-J drops a notch to No. 11 ... wouldn't you think Silsbee would have improved its ranking even though the top 6 all won their games. Is there a strength of schedule factor in how the Top 25 teams are ranked?? Personally, I'm glad H-J only dropped one notch (if they deserved to drop at all) after the game they played Friday night. They were up by a bunch on Silsbee at one point in this game. Silsbee showed its grit in coming back in the fourth quarter, but H-J showed its talent in getting that far ahead of a team as good as the Tigers. ...

The Top 10 in 3A boys ...
1. (Last Week: 1) Lubbock Estacado (22-1) (Beat Shallowater and Paducah last week)
2. (Last Week: 2) Argyle (20-3) (Beat Iowa Park by forfeit and Gainesville last week)
3. (Last Week: 3) Cleveland (19-4) (Beat Oakhurst and Huffman last week)
4. (Last Week: 4) Burkburnett (19-2) (Beat Tascosa and Iowa Park last week)
5. (Last Week: 5) West Oso (20-3) (Beat John Paul II and Miller last week)
6. (Last Week: 6) Kennedale (20-2) (Beat Rains and Alvarado last week)
7. (Last Week: 7) Silsbee (20-2) (Beat No. 10 Hardin-Jefferson last week)
8. (Last Week: 8 ) Liberty Hill (20-4) (Beat Taylor last week)
9. (Last Week: 9) Hondo (18-3) (Beat No. 19 Somerset and Devine last week)
10. (Last Week: 11) San Antonio Houston (15-5) (Beat La Vernia and Yoakum last week)

Answer this ... How is a team playing .500 ball ranked No. 13? Is Dallas Madison's schedule so strong that they can lose half their games and still be in the top 15? Also, is Cleveland the real deal? They have four losses and are ranked in the Top 5.

[/quote]

IMO and only basing it on past years......West Oso is likely overrated.  The teams coming from Region 4 usually are not as strong.  So the only team ahead of Silsbee IMO that could move out and Silsbee move up would be West Oso.  All other teams have played tougher schedules (especially Cleveland, Estacado and Argyle) and/ or were already ranked ahead of Silsbee and thus not gonna move below unless they lose to someone else.

[quote name="stevenash" post="949835" timestamp="1295298047"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=78734.msg949830#msg949830 date=1295297413]

[/quote]

[/quote] And I congratulate you Zeek for having sufficient restraint and/or good sense not to say that Ozen would "mop the floor" with Nederland.
[/quote]
We get it with the whole "mop the floor" thing Nash  ::) ::)

Here I’ll make an announcement for you:

Hey everybody Silsbee did not "mop the floor" with HJ they only beat them ok!!!
So stop hurting his feelings by saying that they will or did!!!

[quote name="ST4life" post="949844" timestamp="1295299162"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=78734.msg949835#msg949835 date=1295298047]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

:D :D

I have learned something about ol Nashe likes to repeat thing way over the limit to where he annoys other people not even associatted with the issue!  ;D

He will cool off later.. the loss must still hurt him a little bit  :D

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="949830" timestamp="1295297413"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I may not like HJ very much, but when it comes to state championships and deep playoff runs, I ALWAYS pull for SETX teams, no matter how much I dislike a team.. Like PNG  ;D

[quote name="dogs1218" post="949845" timestamp="1295299536"]
[quote author=ST4life link=topic=78734.msg949844#msg949844 date=1295299162]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=78734.msg949835#msg949835 date=1295298047]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

:D :D

I have learned something about ol Nashe likes to repeat thing way over the limit to where he annoys other people not even associatted with the issue!  ;D

He will cool off later.. the loss must still hurt him a little bit   :D

[/quote]  Yes, I am really really mad/disturbed about the HJ loss and the pain is truly unbearable.(despite the fact that I made no comment about the game other than saying the absence of the Silsbee coach had no material impact on the final result)  That remark is nearly as "insightful" as the mop the floor comment.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder