HARDIN-JEFFERSON vs. SILSBEE BROADCAST/SILSBEE WINS 64-56!!!

WOSgrad

[quote name="east texas bb" post="948869" timestamp="1295121975"]
Sounds like sour apples.  Give congrats to Silsbee.  They won no matter the circumstances.  Dont make excuses once the game is over, there are too many variables to say this of that, you could say the kid for Silsbee that went out of the game would have made 4 3's if he wouldnt have went out. You dont know what you dont know. 
[/quote]Who was giving sour apples (or grapes, for that matter?)  I didn't think anybody was claiming they lost for any other reason then they got beat.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="948942" timestamp="1295129432"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=78734.msg948869#msg948869 date=1295121975]
Sounds like sour apples.  Give congrats to Silsbee.  They won no matter the circumstances.  Dont make excuses once the game is over, there are too many variables to say this of that, you could say the kid for Silsbee that went out of the game would have made 4 3's if he wouldnt have went out. You dont know what you dont know. 
[/quote]Who was giving sour apples (or grapes, for that matter?)  I didn't think anybody was claiming they lost for any other reason then they got beat.
[/quote]

Thank you- I was going to ask the same question.  I would like to be pointed toward the post that suggests sour grapes/apples

I stand by my earlier prediction, these 2 clubs will split the regular season games.This game was as close as it can get other that a 2 minute span to start the 4th.The atmosphere will be about the same at HJ on the Hawks followers will get the edge.Both clubs should be proud because this was a great game to watch as a fan.

Can both apples or grapes not be soured?  We say it different a little up north.  Anyway, it just sounded like there was negativity in the thread in disguise.  Both teams are great and will probably be the team out of this Region to make it to Austin.  I could go back and point our where people were trying to post negative things while "really not being negative" I just dont want to take the time.  Good luck to both teams. 

[quote name="east texas bb" post="949077" timestamp="1295144435"]
Can both apples or grapes not be soured?  We say it different a little up north.  Anyway, it just sounded like there was negativity in the thread in disguise.  Both teams are great and will probably be the team out of this Region to make it to Austin.  I could go back and point our where people were trying to post negative things while "really not being negative" I just dont want to take the time.  Good luck to both teams.  
[/quote]Ok...... maybe down south we're not quite as psychically inclined to detect disguised negativity as you sour apple eating northerners....... ;)

THE POSTS I WAS TALKING ABOUT WERE THE ONES WHERE TWO-THREE POSTERS SAID THAT OR HINTED TO THE FACT THAT THE REASON SILSBEE WON IS BECAUSE HJ WAS IN FOUL TROUBLE.    I just dont like it when someone comes back with an excuse when they get beat, if you lost then oh well, get ready for the next game.  It sounded like a good game, dont ruin it or take away from the Silsbee kid's effort when they made a comeback.  And when you post that things would have been different if so in so wouldnt have been in foul trouble then you are taking that away.  There are too many intangibles in basketball for someone to "hint" to the fact that Silsbee won because there 3 players had to play a different style.  That is part of the game.  What is the saddest thing is I said more positive things about the HJ team in the post but none of that was even spoken of, it was only the negative part that people wanted to talk about. 

[quote name="dogs1218" post="949097" timestamp="1295145728"]
As expected by everybody except the people from Sour Lake, Silsbee won.. You can point out flaws and say "If this" or "If that", but the fact is... Silsbee got the "W", and HJ got the "L".. Same result, different place next time.
[/quote]I don't think this was the result that most people thought would happen.  If you read what people like BadSanta wrote, they were very surprised that HJ was in the game for so long.... especially after falling behind 5-0.

And from what you saw during the Nederland - HJ game and the Silsbee - Ball game, I seem to recall you thinking that HJ won't stand a chance of beating Sislbee.

Now, the HJ faithful watched the game and found out that HJ can stand toe to toe with Silsbee and, giving a break here or there, they can beat Silsbee.

So, if you think, "same result", you might be mistaken.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="949145" timestamp="1295150169"]
THE POSTS I WAS TALKING ABOUT WERE THE ONES WHERE TWO-THREE POSTERS SAID THAT OR HINTED TO THE FACT THAT THE REASON SILSBEE WON IS BECAUSE HJ WAS IN FOUL TROUBLE.    I just dont like it when someone comes back with an excuse when they get beat, if you lost then oh well, get ready for the next game.  It sounded like a good game, dont ruin it or take away from the Silsbee kid's effort when they made a comeback.  And when you post that things would have been different if so in so wouldnt have been in foul trouble then you are taking that away.  There are too many intangibles in basketball for someone to "hint" to the fact that Silsbee won because there 3 players had to play a different style.  That is part of the game.  What is the saddest thing is I said more positive things about the HJ team in the post but none of that was even spoken of, it was only the negative part that people wanted to talk about. 

[/quote]And what was said that numerous HJ posters praised the Silsbee Tigers on a great game and a great win.  And all you can see are sour apples.

Now, does that make you the pot..... or the kettle?  ;)

There is no question that the 4 fouls on the 3 players affected their play.  Now, if someone claimed that the 4 fouls were the result of poor refereeing, then I'd call that sour apples (no.... I'd stick with sour grape.... it's a southern thing).  But anyone watching the game could see that 3 things provided the win:

1) Silsbee's 4th quarter run
2) HJ's foul trouble
3) combination of Silsbee's athleticism and HJ's running out of gas (yes, one was the cause and one was the effect).

Basketball is so unpredictable you cant narrow it down to 3 things. 
And I dont even know what your calling the pot calling the kettle black is, I have no allegience to either team.  Just like to hear the scores.
I just want for (some, not all) to congratulate Silsbee on the win and dont come back later claiming it was this or that.  Great game to both teams.  Dont let the adults ruin it for the kids. 

One thing you have to realize about this rivalty, that is typical of most rivalries.  Unless one team has a very down year,  you can never count out either team.  I was one that thought last years Tigers had a definite advantage over the Hawks.  Last years team had a big height advantage and skill to go with it. It  had size that most  3A teams would die for. Yet the Hawks still got a win over the Tigers. This years team has depth that most teams would  love and  speed most would envy as well. Do I think the Hawks don't have a chance of beating the Tigers? Heck no.  I didn't feel like that before last night and for three quarters they proved they could win.  However winning games like this one against a quality team with less depth than you is very often done this way.  The game stays in doubt until late when the team with less depth starts to get tired.  I was told by a Dallas Madison fan last year that even though my Tigers made a heck of a comeback run late, the difference at the end was our stars were wore out while theirs were fresher.

As far as all these what ifs,  yes foul trouble limited some Hawks late, but you are still guessing as to how different it would been.  I could say if the Tigers had played more than one game in the last two weeks we would have been sharper in the first three quarters,  not letting the Hawks pressure get to us quite so much.  However,  I would still be guessing as well.  I am a Tiger fan through and through and I want the Tigers to go undefeated the rest of the way.  These players deserve it.  However,  after watching  these two teams go at it for the last several years and getting familiar with the Hawks players and some fans ,  as bad as I want the Tigers to beat them,  I still hate to see any of these kids lose.  There isn't one of them that don't step out there and give everything they have and then some.  I wish I could have been a part of a rivalry of this quality.  It is an honor to be able to watch it each year.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="949160" timestamp="1295151313"]
And I dont even know what your calling the pot calling the kettle black is, I have no allegience to either team.  Just like to hear the scores.
I just want for (some, not all) to congratulate Silsbee on the win and dont come back later claiming it was this or that.  Great game to both teams.  Dont let the adults ruin it for the kids. 
[/quote]

Who are you to ask for "some people" to congratulate Silsbee????  Were you are the game???  NO, so make no comment about it and ask for people to congratulate Silsbee!!!

If that is the way it should be then some of the Silsbee people should eat a little crow for saying that HJ could not hang with the Tigers.  HJ proved that they are just as good and talented as the Tigers.  With a break here and there all of the Tigers would be eating crow and they would be the ones making excuses!!!!  But the Tigers executed and got the W, but I can assure you the coaches, players and fans of Silsbee were on edge and worried about losing to the Hawks up until about half way thru the 4th!!!  And yet not one person has given HJ credit for keeping the Tigers off of their game for 3 quarters, their excuse is that the Tigers were rusty..........HJ has only played one more game than the Tigers since going back to school and only one more game than the Tigers since the Christmas break, so no rust!!!!  Just being beat for 3 quarters!!!!

HJ can hang with Silsbee from what I saw last night. Maybe Silsbee played bad? Maybe HJ played better than they have all year? All I know is that the 2 teams I saw play could beat the pants off most teams in this state! They both deserved to win IMO. Silsbee got the win. I hope the next game is just as good and Silsbee wins that also.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="949146" timestamp="1295150268"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=78734.msg949097#msg949097 date=1295145728]
As expected by everybody except the people from Sour Lake, Silsbee won.. You can point out flaws and say "If this" or "If that", but the fact is... Silsbee got the "W", and HJ got the "L".. Same result, different place next time.
[/quote]I don't think this was the result that most people thought would happen.  If you read what people like BadSanta wrote, they were very surprised that HJ was in the game for so long.... especially after falling behind 5-0.

[b]And from what you saw during the Nederland - HJ game and the Silsbee - Ball game, I seem to recall you thinking that HJ won't stand a chance of beating Sislbee.[/b]

Now, the HJ faithful watched the game and found out that HJ can stand toe to toe with Silsbee and, giving a break here or there, they can beat Silsbee.

[/quote]

If you go by what I saw then, Silsbee would wipe the floor with HJ..  ;) Silsbee has more talent and will find their ways to win again this year.. Hope the HJ faithful dont get too upset when Silsbee gives them another "L" in Sour Lake  ;D :D

[quote name="dogs1218" post="949182" timestamp="1295155596"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=78734.msg949146#msg949146 date=1295150268]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=78734.msg949097#msg949097 date=1295145728]

[b]And from what you saw during the Nederland - HJ game and the Silsbee - Ball game, I seem to recall you thinking that HJ won't stand a chance of beating Sislbee.[/b]

[/quote]

If you go by what I saw then, Silsbee would wipe the floor with HJ..  ;) Silsbee has more talent and will find their ways to win again this year.. Hope the HJ faithful dont get too upset when Silsbee gives them another "L" in Sour Lake  ;D :D
[/quote]

Well maybe Coach English and Coach Sutherland can agree to have a warm-up game before the playoffs!!!!!  I guarantee a different outcome than we saw early in the year when HJ was without Sutherland!!!!

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="949179" timestamp="1295155216"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=78734.msg949160#msg949160 date=1295151313]
And I dont even know what your calling the pot calling the kettle black is, I have no allegience to either team.  Just like to hear the scores.
I just want for (some, not all) to congratulate Silsbee on the win and dont come back later claiming it was this or that.  Great game to both teams.  Dont let the adults ruin it for the kids.  
[/quote]

Who are you to ask for "some people" to congratulate Silsbee????  Were you are the game???  NO, so make no comment about it and ask for people to congratulate Silsbee!!!

If that is the way it should be then some of the Silsbee people should eat a little crow for saying that HJ could not hang with the Tigers.  HJ proved that they are just as good and talented as the Tigers.  With a break here and there all of the Tigers would be eating crow and they would be the ones making excuses!!!!  But the Tigers executed and got the W, but I can assure you the coaches, players and fans of Silsbee were on edge and worried about losing to the Hawks up until about half way thru the 4th!!!  And yet not one person has given HJ credit for keeping the Tigers off of their game for 3 quarters, their excuse is that the Tigers were rusty..........HJ has only played one more game than the Tigers since going back to school and only one more game than the Tigers since the Christmas break, so no rust!!!!  Just being beat for 3 quarters!!!!

[/quote]
I am not saying the Tigers were rusty.  Sure I was concerned about it  before the game.  Heck I am not going to try and guess wether each pass was a result of pressure or not being sharp. I don't think we played that poorly during any part of the game.  I think Sean having to sit down for a large part of the last quarter was huge. Not getting to be as aggressive on defense played a part as well but that also played a part into getting those 4 fouls.  That could flip in the next game and we could be in that position,  hopefully that will be when our depth shines the most.  

[quote name="east texas bb" post="949191" timestamp="1295157415"]
I listened to the game on the radio.  It sounded like a great game.  Opinions are just what they are.  Everyone can have one.  Why would you not congratulate someone on a victory?  Unless you thought there was an unfair advantage.
[/quote]

Go back and read the posted.......I was the first one to congratulate them and did it on the broadcast as well!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::)

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="948643" timestamp="1295068730"]
Nice comeback win for the Tigers.  Really thought that my Hawks were gonna steal one in Silsbee and put themselves in a position to win the district title outright!!!  DC is really, really good.  Congrats again on the win and will be looking for revenge in Sour Lake in a few weeks.  BETTER GET THERE EARLY!!!!!
[/quote]

Dogs1218 Here is my first post after the game......................I believe I did congratulate them and even commented on how good of a player DC is!!!

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="949196" timestamp="1295158263"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=78734.msg948643#msg948643 date=1295068730]
Nice comeback win for the Tigers.  Really thought that my Hawks were gonna steal one in Silsbee and put themselves in a position to win the district title outright!!!  DC is really, really good.  Congrats again on the win and will be looking for revenge in Sour Lake in a few weeks.  BETTER GET THERE EARLY!!!!!
[/quote]

Dogs1218 Here is my first post after the game......................I believe I did congratulate them and even commented on how good of a player DC is!!!
[/quote]

How is this relevant to me?? I didnt question the congratulating part.. lol

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476