Riley Dodge to visit Lamar this week

Good ole Bob West...

[quote]When LU’s current offensive coordinator Todd Whitten was in the running for the head  coaching job at [b]San Angleo State[/b], LU head football coach Ray Woodard discussed the possibility he would have an opening with Todd. [b]San Angelo State[/b] went another direction, so nothing materialized.[/quote]

"San" has not been part of the name since 1965 when the school from San Angelo College to Angelo State.  ;D

[quote name="ForeverADog" post="945081" timestamp="1294600438"]
Riley will go to McNeese or SFA. I highly doubt he goes to Lamar.
[/quote]

McNeese has 4 returning QB's on their roster and SFA has a transfer from UTEP. I would not bet against Lamar as they have a couple of ex UT star players on the coaching staff in Coach Woodard and Coach Brown. Riley originally committed to the Longhorns before signing with his dad.

Then there is our new football facilities which are the best in the SLC.

BTW, I believe you stated before that he wouldn't leave UNT a few months ago.

http://www.setxsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=75428.15

A few months ago he didn't want to and wasn't going too. Now after meeting with the new coaching staff he is leaving. He won't go where his dad goes because his dad will likely end up in Tulsa.

You mentioned McNeese has 4 qb back but Lamar has more than what McNeese does on the roster and has recruited 2 more. Riley is better than anyone on McNeese roster. SFA has a legit chance to win a national title next year with all their starters back. They just need a qb. That's why its between those 2. And facilities really won't be the difference in my opinion. They are great just not a deciding factor. I hope he comes here I just don't see it. He would be a great slot receiver for us or even a safety as well as qb. Just don't think he wants to play anything else.

SFA is loosing 12 seniors with Jeremy Moses being one of them. Moses won the Walter Payton Award and they didn't make it past the first round. Losing at home to Villanova 54-24 so I don't see their chances any better than they were this year.

I know a few months ago he publicly stated he was happy and was staying but I didn't think he would and it ended up he is indeed transferring.

If things worked out differently for Coach Whitten and the Angelo State job, Todd Dodge could have been here.

It's probably a toss up between SFA, McNeese and Lamar.  The SLC seems to always lay a big goose egg in the first round of the FCS playoffs so he'll probably just cares about getting on a team that can win the conference, not win the national championship.

Maybe because Todd Dodge is from SETX that will influence his son.  Having great crowds with the possibility of playing in the WAC for year may also help.  And thinking more down the road, if Lamar does join the WAC, that means higher pay for the coaches.  I don't think Whitten will stay around long term, so having Riley on the team and moving to the WAC could open an opportunity for Todd Dodge to coach at Lamar in the future.

[quote name="coachacola" post="945154" timestamp="1294613449"]
It's probably a toss up between SFA, McNeese and Lamar.  The SLC seems to always lay a big goose egg in the first round of the FCS playoffs so he'll probably just cares about getting on a team that can win the conference, not win the national championship.

Maybe because Todd Dodge is from SETX that will influence his son.  Having great crowds with the possibility of playing in the WAC for year may also help.  And thinking more down the road, if Lamar does join the WAC, that means higher pay for the coaches.  I don't think Whitten will stay around long term, so having Riley on the team and moving to the WAC could open an opportunity for Todd Dodge to coach at Lamar in the future.
[/quote]
Although I think Riley would be a good pickup for Lamar, I just don't think he is joined to the golden triangle as some think.  Todd hasn't lived here in a while so I just don't see the connection.

[quote name="coachacola" post="945154" timestamp="1294613449"]

[/quote]

[i]McNeese State, which has made 12 appearances in the national playoffs, also played in the 1997 I-AA national championship game, and Stephen F. Austin played in the 1989 title game, one of four playoff runs for the Lumberjacks. Northwestern State has played in six national playoffs, and advanced to the semifinals in 1998, while Sam Houston State has earned four trips to the postseason, including the semifinals in 2004, Nicholls State has participated twice, and Texas State twice, advancing to the 2005 semifinals.[/i]

Well, you can add ex members of the SLC to the list that made it to the National Championship game in I-AA now (FCS). Louisiana Tech in 1984, Northeast Louisiana 1987 and Arkansas State in 1986.

You'd love the Arkansas State team. Guess what offense they ran and their Head Coach? Larry Lacewell was the Head Coach at ASU. He was at OU for a long period of time under Barry Switzer prior to becoming Head Coach of the Indians. Later he was a long time scouting director for the Dallas Cowboys from 1992-2004.

Offense they ran at ASU was the wishbone!  :D Long-time friend was a 2 time All-SLC WR from that team.

Also, the last time McNeese made the finals was 2002. Also, the SLC has a automatic bid to the FCS playoffs so if a team wins conference they automatically are in the FCS tournament.

Now back to the topic of Riley Dodge making a visit to Lamar University. It would be a long shot for him coming to Lamar for a number of reasons. One being we are getting another FBS transfer at QB.

Still, I am hopefull of landing him as you can't have too much talent! 

[quote name="bigred360" post="945456" timestamp="1294680446"]
Well, you can add ex members of the SLC to the list that made it to the National Championship game in I-AA now (FCS). Louisiana Tech in 1984, Northeast Louisiana 1987 and Arkansas State in 1986.

You'd love the Arkansas State team. Guess what offense they ran and their Head Coach? Larry Lacewell was the Head Coach at ASU. He was at OU for a long period of time under Barry Switzer prior to becoming Head Coach of the Indians. Later he was a long time scouting director for the Dallas Cowboys from 1992-2004.

Offense they ran at ASU was the wishbone!  :D [b]Long-time friend was a 2 time All-SLC WR from that team. [/b]
Also, the last time McNeese made the finals was 2002. Also, the SLC has a automatic bid to the FCS playoffs so if a team wins conference they automatically are in the FCS tournament.

Now back to the topic of Riley Dodge making a visit to Lamar University. It would be a long shot for him coming to Lamar for a number of reasons. One being we are getting another FBS transfer at QB.

Still, I am hopefull of landing him as you can't have too much talent! 

[/quote]

bigred360, I know what friend you are talking about, LCM's Cazzy Francis.

Yea, he later signed a free agent contract with Tampa Bay and made it to the final cut. Now, he is at Church on the Rock, which is near the Lamar campus.

The way they throw the ball now in the NFL and use smaller WR's in the slot I really believe he would have made it in today's NFL. He was 5-11, 180 and ran a 4.4 forty. Could bench press over 380 and do 225 over 20 times. Great athlete.

Check the year 1982.

http://www.kogt.com/OrangeCo/OC_athletes_OTY.htm

[quote name="bigred360" post="945475" timestamp="1294682823"]
Yea, he later signed a free agent contract with Tampa Bay and made it to the final cut. Now, he is at Church on the Rock, which is near the Lamar campus.

The way they throw the ball now in the NFL and use smaller WR's in the slot I really believe he would have made it in today's NFL. He was 5-11, 180 and ran a 4.4 forty. Could bench press over 380 and do 225 over 20 times. Great athlete.

Check the year 1982.

http://www.kogt.com/OrangeCo/OC_athletes_OTY.htm
[/quote]

I know all about Cazzy, we competed against each other in high school. He was a super athlete, one heck of a pole vaulter.

AAW, you must know about Caz as I have never mentioned him being a pole vauler in high school.

Yes, he was pretty good as he went to state in that event. Forgot, in basketball he could dunk! So, I don't remember his vertical but at 5-11, it must have been pretty good.  

Met Cazzy & his wife back in the late 80's.  Was a really nice guy and showed a strong faith in Christ back then.  Glad to hear he is still in the area doing the Lord's work.

Back to the topic.  If Lamar can get Riley, I am all for it.  Just think what a benefit this would be to Jeremy Johnson.  Riley will probably be a coach himself and is like having an extra position coach (QB's) on the team, not to mention how well he can play on the field right now.  Lamar needs to make it's best pitch.  Hopefully LU feels right to Riley.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder