Is this the beginning of the end of Hooks ERA

[quote name="GreenIce" post="707983" timestamp="1258236380"]
[quote author=SHSTIGER link=topic=62366.msg707918#msg707918 date=1258234595]
We're on a football board, where it's perfectly acceptable to worry about football scores. ::)
[/quote]

And that might be part of West Orange's problem.....More concerned with football than school. Roll your eyes all you want, SHSTIGER, West Orange is a shell of its former self, and education is part of the problem. Even the parents of athletes are trying to get to districts like LCM so their kids can have a descent education.
[/quote]

Trust me, most of "the parents of athletes trying to get into districts like LCM" are not doing it for the education.  See, most of us know most of the kids and their families who have transferred to the LCMs and the majority have transferred because their children aren't disciplined enough to participate in WO-S athletics (namely football) or some have transferred because their child might get a little more playing time.  That being said, there are some who transfer because they decide to focus on baseball and feel that they will fare better at the LCMs.  Nice try.  I might even venture to say that you are one of those who got "to districts like LCM so their kids can have a DECENT education"...  I hope not, but it would not surprise me.

Coach Hooks isn't going anywhere.  I think that may be a goal of the school board.  I can name several school board members that need to go and hopefully we can take care of that in May, 2010.  WO-S is EXPECTED to win, win, win by it's fans and non-fans.  It's not feasible ALL OF THE TIME.  In fact, I would bet you that there have actually only been (6) or fewer that have won state titles in the last (6) years.  (And to think, I graduated from WO-S and figured that out!  WHUH!)  

We will be fine.  We don't just have the young athletes who played varsity this year, we have loads of talent at every level from JV to little league too.  Our wells are far from dry.  Money from anywhere spent on getting our education system would be awesome, but it is still not the answer.  Most of that is a direct result from home and that problem cannot be fixed with money.  But, to criticize Coach Hooks or anything pertaining to athletics/football is crazy because as I've stated many times...the Mustang football program is responsible for assisting many young men who would probably never set foot on a college campus, go to college and has made many men out of boys.  Trust me, I am the mother of two such Mustangs and one is a work in progress as we speak. ;)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bleed orange
Quote by Stang4life:We will be fine.  We don't just have the young athletes who played varsity this year, we have loads of talent at every level from JV to little league too.  Our wells are far from dry.  Money from anywhere spent on getting our education system would be awesome, but it is still not the answer.  Most of that is a direct result from home and that problem cannot be fixed with money.  But, to criticize Coach Hooks or anything pertaining to athletics/football is crazy because as I've stated many times...the Mustang football program is responsible for assisting many young men who would probably never set foot on a college campus, go to college and has made many men out of boys.  Trust me, I am the mother of two such Mustangs and one is a work in progress as we speak.

I agree stang4life. Good post. Athletics is more than the sport. It is about life. I have disagreed with you in the past and always will on certain issues but we are on the same page with this one. It is about making boys into men. Some people will never understand because until you have been there you won't.

[quote name="GreenIce" post="707670" timestamp="1258226579"]
If you think the worst problem you have at West-Orange is a potential coaching change, you are looking at the wrong area. There are schools in this area who would kill to be in the play-offs.
High dropout rate, poor math scores, poor science scores, an unacceptable high school.
Maybe some of the money spent of football needs to be diverted into hiring new math teachers.
[/quote]

Green Ice,

Would you please answer venom about what school you support and how you know so much about what is going on at WO-S!!  You are a total absolute freakin idiot that wants to make WO-S look bad.  And to the people that know what is really going on at WO-S you really look stupid. 

The test scores have continually been going up in most areas the last few years.  Last year scores on the HS campus were acceptable.  The reason WO-S received an unacceptable rating was because of a high drop out rate.  The one thing you were correct about.  The reason the drop out rate was high was because of all the hurricane katrina evacuees leaving with no record of where they went.

Get a life and stop trying to make WO-S look bad.

[quote name="rykerx144" post="708128" timestamp="1258242630"]
[quote author=GreenIce link=topic=62366.msg708015#msg708015 date=1258237496]
[quote author=SHSTIGER link=topic=62366.msg707991#msg707991 date=1258236557]
I'm sure the wos fans are more aware of the problems in their district than the rest of us. Why does every post about anything  happening over there, be it kids getting in trouble or them OMG losing a football game, devolve to this same tired conversation?
[/quote]

It is not tired, something needs to be done. I left the district because of overemphasis on anything but sports. There are good folks there, both white and black and they deserve better. Most would move if they could afford to do so. Football amounts to a diversion to real troubles in the school. They need a new Supt. or Trustees or someone to save that district. If things don't change, TEA is going to come to town and shake things up.

[/quote]

WOW!!  They lose one football game and the beheadings begin.  Before the game was even over there was talk of the possibility of the no more Hooks.  Now we are not only getting rid of Hooks but the other coaches and  the Supt., the trustees the board members, the administration, and probably before its over a few teachers.  Whos's next??  Hey does anyone have any dirt on the Janitors or the Cafeteria lady?  I bet thats whos really to blame here!!
[/quote]

Seriously Ryker? None of these conversations were started by WOS people so don't even try going down that road.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="708164" timestamp="1258245022"]
I agree stang4life. Good post. Athletics is more than the sport. It is about life. I have disagreed with you in the past and always will on certain issues but we are on the same page with this one. It is about making boys into men. Some people will never understand because until you have been there you won't.
[/quote]

This is why I like you Bleed!

Good post S4L, as always!

Guest rykerx144
[quote name="Gasilla" post="708504" timestamp="1258258583"]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=62366.msg708128#msg708128 date=1258242630]
[quote author=GreenIce link=topic=62366.msg708015#msg708015 date=1258237496]
[quote author=SHSTIGER link=topic=62366.msg707991#msg707991 date=1258236557]
I'm sure the wos fans are more aware of the problems in their district than the rest of us. Why does every post about anything  happening over there, be it kids getting in trouble or them OMG losing a football game, devolve to this same tired conversation?
[/quote]

It is not tired, something needs to be done. I left the district because of overemphasis on anything but sports. There are good folks there, both white and black and they deserve better. Most would move if they could afford to do so. Football amounts to a diversion to real troubles in the school. They need a new Supt. or Trustees or someone to save that district. If things don't change, TEA is going to come to town and shake things up.

[/quote]

WOW!!  They lose one football game and the beheadings begin.  Before the game was even over there was talk of the possibility of the no more Hooks.  Now we are not only getting rid of Hooks but the other coaches and  the Supt., the trustees the board members, the administration, and probably before its over a few teachers.  Whos's next??  Hey does anyone have any dirt on the Janitors or the Cafeteria lady?  I bet thats whos really to blame here!!
[/quote]

Seriously Ryker? None of these conversations were started by WOS people so don't even try going down that road.
[/quote]

First of all I never said they was started by WOS fans?  I never said anything about who they were started by.  I was simply making fun of these ignorant (I believe that the is the proper word to use when talking about someone that is talking about something they have no knowledge about or understand) people that are trying to start these unrealistic rumors that Hooks might be leaving and others blaming him or the football program for poor test scores and lack of education.  Ridiculous! 

Second, I can go down any road I want to go down! 

Bobo said in an earlier post that he lives in Lumberton.  He said in this post that he moved his kids from WOS.  He dislikes the coaches and athletic program at WOS, as most of his posts prove.  That should answer many questions for those wondering.

[quote name="liltex" post="708749" timestamp="1258297854"]
As an outsider I'm gonna say Dan Hooks could have left along time ago for bigger and better but he loves his job at WOS.With that being said I vote to kill this thread as there is no valid reason it should have started.
[/quote]

Why kill the thread?  This is a legitimate question and topic, just let the moderators monitor it to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.  The question is "Is this the beginning of the end of the Hooks era?"  Coach Hooks has been coaching for many years and this will ALWAYS be a question to answer after each season whether there is turmoil or not.

I'm sure Hooks loves to coach or he wouldn't have hung in there so long, but the real question is "How long does Hooks feel like fighting all of the surrounding issues outside of the X's and O's".  The scary part for wos is that if the fans feel that the school board and officials are making bad decisions and overriding what Hooks wants (after all the things he has done for the school)...then what do you think things will be like when Hooks retires and the board "hand picks" who they want to replace him?  Everyone seems to have their own opinion of who the heir apparent will be, but the board has the ultimate responsibility of recommending a coach to the Superintendent.

Earlier in this thread someone finished their post with the sentence "Everything is fine in Mustang land" (or something to that effect) Well, just because you say something over and over doesn't necessarily make it true.

[quote name="Slam14" post="708790" timestamp="1258301960"]
The scary part for wos is that if the fans feel that the school board and officials are making bad decisions and overriding what Hooks wants (after all the things he has done for the school)...then what do you think things will be like when Hooks retires and the board "hand picks" who they want to replace him?  [/quote]

THAT is the scary part!

What does WOS pay?  I'm betting the list wouldn't be as long and impressive as you might think.  They have some things going against them. 

3A school
Academic problems
Dwindling enrollment
Screwed up school board
Pay?
Orange don't offer the same things as the Austin area, DFW, or Houston

The list would maybe be long, but I don't think there would be lots of big time, proven coaches out there want this job.

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="708873" timestamp="1258309495"]
What does WOS pay?  I'm betting the list wouldn't be as long and impressive as you might think.  They have some things going against them. 

3A school
Academic problems
Dwindling enrollment
Screwed up school board
Pay?

The list would maybe be long, but I don't think there would be lots of big time, proven coaches out there want this job.
[/quote]

Good points.

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="708873" timestamp="1258309495"]

3A school
Academic problems
Dwindling enrollment
Screwed up school board
Pay?

[/quote]

Agreed.  There won't be many "big names" scrambling to a 3A school.

[quote name="Slam14" post="708928" timestamp="1258315576"]
[quote author=BoboandBlair link=topic=62366.msg708873#msg708873 date=1258309495]

3A school
Academic problems
Dwindling enrollment
Screwed up school board
Pay?

[/quote]

Agreed.  There won't be many "big names" scrambling to a 3A school.
[/quote]

If Dan does retire, it needs to come from inside. Cornel Thompson knows the kids and the community and should be the obvious heir apparent. He would stay here until he retires. Then, possibly, T Foreman after that. If they were to screw that up and go outside, not only would the program suffer, but the AD position would become nothing but a revolving door where coaches trying to make a name for themselves will spend a few seasons to try and win a few games to bolster their resume then move on. It happens all over Texas.

[quote name="77" post="709174" timestamp="1258330631"]
Why didnt these questions come up about hooks in the past. If I remember correctly all the blame in the past years when the Stangs lost was on the shoulders of the offensive coordinator . Why the change?
[/quote]

What are you talking about? No one has blamed anyone for anything. We are discussing the possible situations if Dan were to retire. Are you trying to take this in another direction? ???

[quote name="w" post="708743" timestamp="1258297401"]
Bobo said in an earlier post that he lives in Lumberton.  He said in this post that he moved his kids from WOS.  He dislikes the coaches and athletic program at WOS, as most of his posts prove.  That should answer many questions for those wondering.
[/quote]

I think I have the answer:  bobo is a current WO-S board member!  All of these descriptions fit some of them to a tee!  ;D

[quote name="Slam14" post="708790" timestamp="1258301960"]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=62366.msg708749#msg708749 date=1258297854]
As an outsider I'm gonna say Dan Hooks could have left along time ago for bigger and better but he loves his job at WOS.With that being said I vote to kill this thread as there is no valid reason it should have started.
[/quote]

Why kill the thread?  This is a legitimate question and topic, just let the moderators monitor it to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.  The question is "Is this the beginning of the end of the Hooks era?"  Coach Hooks has been coaching for many years and this will ALWAYS be a question to answer after each season whether there is turmoil or not.

I'm sure Hooks loves to coach or he wouldn't have hung in there so long, but the real question is "How long does Hooks feel like fighting all of the surrounding issues outside of the X's and O's".  The scary part for wos is that if the fans feel that the school board and officials are making bad decisions and overriding what Hooks wants (after all the things he has done for the school)...then what do you think things will be like when Hooks retires and the board "hand picks" who they want to replace him?  Everyone seems to have their own opinion of who the heir apparent will be, but the board has the ultimate responsibility of recommending a coach to the Superintendent.

Earlier in this thread someone finished their post with the sentence "Everything is fine in Mustang land" (or something to that effect) Well, just because you say something over and over doesn't necessarily make it true.

[/quote]

Ditto...that goes both ways!  I'm sure these same conversations were being discussed after we didn't make the playoffs after our late '80s run.  Then, we redeemed ourselves in 2000.  And before anyone says we lost in 2000...I tell you what, I will take an appearance in the State Finals than to never make it there to begin with.  I find it hilarious that most true Mustang fans are satisfied with how our boys play and most outsiders are the unhappy ones.  Coach Hooks is not going anywhere for a while.  The well hasn't run dry and will not for a while.  Believe it or not, there will be enough parents who are willing to stay in the district and not high-tale it over to LCM for their "education system".  Our district is improving academically.  As far as some of our other problems, they are no different than those at the LCMs, BCs, or any other district in the state of Texas or probably U.S. for that matter.  To everyone "concerned" about Coach Hook's, we appreciate all of your thoughts, time and efforts.  ;)

[quote name="Gasilla" post="709209" timestamp="1258332699"]
[quote author=77 link=topic=62366.msg709174#msg709174 date=1258330631]
Why didnt these questions come up about hooks in the past. If I remember correctly all the blame in the past years when the Stangs lost was on the shoulders of the offensive coordinator . Why the change?
[/quote]

What are you talking about? No one has blamed anyone for anything. We are discussing the possible situations if Dan were to retire. Are you trying to take this in another direction? ???
[/quote]Come on now you dont remember all the stang supporters on here bashing the ex oc in past losses in the playoffs? I'm not trying to take this in any direction I was just asking a question. This thread was apparently started because WOS had a loss in the first round, I think they had a great year considering the underclassmen on the team.

[quote name="stang4life" post="709242" timestamp="1258333932"]
[quote author=Slam14 link=topic=62366.msg708790#msg708790 date=1258301960]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=62366.msg708749#msg708749 date=1258297854]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ditto...that goes both ways!  I'm sure these same conversations were being discussed after we didn't make the playoffs after our late '80s run.  Then, we redeemed ourselves in 2000.  And before anyone says we lost in 2000...I tell you what, I will take an appearance in the State Finals than to never make it there to begin with. [b] I find it hilarious that most true Mustang fans are satisfied with how our boys play and most outsiders are the unhappy[/b] [b]ones. [/b]  Coach Hooks is not going anywhere for a while.  The well hasn't run dry and will not for a while.  Believe it or not, there will be enough parents who are willing to stay in the district and not high-tale it over to LCM for their "education system".  Our district is improving academically.  As far as some of our other problems, they are no different than those at the LCMs, BCs, or any other district in the state of Texas or probably U.S. for that matter.  To everyone "concerned" about Coach Hook's, we appreciate all of your thoughts, time and efforts.   ;)
[/quote]

::)

[quote name="GreenIce" post="707983" timestamp="1258236380"]
[quote author=SHSTIGER link=topic=62366.msg707918#msg707918 date=1258234595]
We're on a football board, where it's perfectly acceptable to worry about football scores. ::)
[/quote]

And that might be part of West Orange's problem.....More concerned with football than school. Roll your eyes all you want, SHSTIGER, West Orange is a shell of its former self, and education is part of the problem. Even the parents of athletes are trying to get to districts like LCM so their kids can have a descent education.
[/quote]

You have no idea what you are talking about. My kids (all three of them) attend WOS and get a fine education. My kids all make A's and commended on the TAKS test. The education is there for the taking and my kids are taking advantage of it. I will agree that more kids should take advantage of it but don't blame it on the teachers. They are doing their job.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder