Is this the beginning of the end of Hooks ERA

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Silsbee88
[quote name="Slam14" post="708790" timestamp="1258301960"]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=62366.msg708749#msg708749 date=1258297854]
As an outsider I'm gonna say Dan Hooks could have left along time ago for bigger and better but he loves his job at WOS.With that being said I vote to kill this thread as there is no valid reason it should have started.
[/quote]

Why kill the thread?  This is a legitimate question and topic, just let the moderators monitor it to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.  The question is "Is this the beginning of the end of the Hooks era?"  Coach Hooks has been coaching for many years and this will ALWAYS be a question to answer after each season whether there is turmoil or not.

I'm sure Hooks loves to coach or he wouldn't have hung in there so long, but the real question is "How long does Hooks feel like fighting all of the surrounding issues outside of the X's and O's".  The scary part for wos is that if the fans feel that the school board and officials are making bad decisions and overriding what Hooks wants (after all the things he has done for the school)...then what do you think things will be like when Hooks retires and the board "hand picks" who they want to replace him?  Everyone seems to have their own opinion of who the heir apparent will be, [b]but the board has the ultimate responsibility of recommending a coach to the Superintendent.[/b]
Earlier in this thread someone finished their post with the sentence "Everything is fine in Mustang land" (or something to that effect) Well, just because you say something over and over doesn't necessarily make it true.

[/quote]

This is an incorrect assessment, the board NEVER makes recommendations for professionals to the Superintendent.  All recommendations are to come to the board from the Superintendent.  Now if it is this way in WOS then they do have some serious problems!

Coach Hooks will remain in WOS as long as he wants, and I would have to say that this man has dedicated his life to the WEST ORANGE COMMUNITY!  Any other coach with this mans record, with any other motives would never have stayed dropping from 5A then to 4A and now to 3A.  He would have moved long ago to stay in the mix with bigger schools.  Coach Hooks does alot more for the community than coach football as was stated earlier - he grows boys into men.  Some don't turn out like he wants but all that go through his program have the opportunity to succeed.

I don't think you will find any other 3A school with the adversity this school has, and is facing with a better record.  Great Job Coach Hooks for last however many years it has been!

[quote name="Silsbee88" post="709628" timestamp="1258383692"]
[quote author=Slam14 link=topic=62366.msg708790#msg708790 date=1258301960]
As an outsider I'm gonna say Dan Hooks could have left along time ago for bigger and better but he loves his job at WOS.With that being said I vote to kill this thread as there is no valid reason it should have started.
[/quote]

Why kill the thread?  This is a legitimate question and topic, just let the moderators monitor it to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.  The question is "Is this the beginning of the end of the Hooks era?"  Coach Hooks has been coaching for many years and this will ALWAYS be a question to answer after each season whether there is turmoil or not.

I'm sure Hooks loves to coach or he wouldn't have hung in there so long, but the real question is "How long does Hooks feel like fighting all of the surrounding issues outside of the X's and O's".  The scary part for wos is that if the fans feel that the school board and officials are making bad decisions and overriding what Hooks wants (after all the things he has done for the school)...then what do you think things will be like when Hooks retires and the board "hand picks" who they want to replace him?  Everyone seems to have their own opinion of who the heir apparent will be, [b]but the board has the ultimate responsibility of recommending a coach to the Superintendent.[/b]
Earlier in this thread someone finished their post with the sentence "Everything is fine in Mustang land" (or something to that effect) Well, just because you say something over and over doesn't necessarily make it true.

[/quote]

This is an incorrect assessment, the board NEVER makes recommendations for professionals to the Superintendent.  All recommendations are to come to the board from the Superintendent.  Now if it is this way in WOS then they do have some serious problems!

Coach Hooks will remain in WOS as long as he wants, and I would have to say that this man has dedicated his life to the WEST ORANGE COMMUNITY!  Any other coach with this mans record, with any other motives would never have stayed dropping from 5A then to 4A and now to 3A.  He would have moved long ago to stay in the mix with bigger schools.  Coach Hooks does alot more for the community than coach football as was stated earlier - he grows boys into men.  Some don't turn out like he wants but all that go through his program have the opportunity to succeed.

I don't think you will find any other 3A school with the adversity this school has, and is facing with a better record.  Great Job Coach Hooks for last however many years it has been!

[/quote]

And for how many years he wants to stay.

Good post.

Even if Dan Ray were to retire(which I don't think he is), there are far worse things than to turn this team over to Cornell or Toby. WOS is in good hands as far as I am concerned. One of the top staffs if not the best in our area.

Handing the team to Cornell for a few years and then Toby is the way it should be. In fact, I would be in favor of letting Toby get the call.

The question is, what will the administration do? Will they pull some lame brain stunt and get some outsider? That could cause several of the current coaches to go elsewhere. That would be a very big mistake!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="709701" timestamp="1258388795"]
Even if Dan Ray were to retire(which I don't think he is), there are far worse things than to turn this team over to Cornell or Toby. WOS is in good hands as far as I am concerned. One of the top staffs if not the best in our area.

Handing the team to Cornell for a few years and then Toby is the way it should be. In fact, I would be in favor of letting Toby get the call.

The question is, what will the administration do? Will they pull some lame brain stunt and get some outsider? That could cause several of the current coaches to go elsewhere. That would be a very big mistake!
[/quote]

Nothing would shock me at this point.

I understand about what you are saying about giving it to Toby, however, the right thing to do is offer it to Coach T and if he wants it he gets it for as long as he wants. Then Toby will be there to take the torch.

[quote name="77" post="709275" timestamp="1258335392"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=62366.msg709209#msg709209 date=1258332699]
[quote author=77 link=topic=62366.msg709174#msg709174 date=1258330631]
Why didnt these questions come up about hooks in the past. If I remember correctly all the blame in the past years when the Stangs lost was on the shoulders of the offensive coordinator . Why the change?
[/quote]

What are you talking about? No one has blamed anyone for anything. We are discussing the possible situations if Dan were to retire. Are you trying to take this in another direction? ???
[/quote]Come on now you dont remember all the stang supporters on here bashing the ex oc in past losses in the playoffs? I'm not trying to take this in any direction I was just asking a question. This thread was apparently started because WOS had a loss in the first round, I think they had a great year considering the underclassmen on the team.
[/quote]

This thread doesn't have anything to do with the loss, but has to do with the end of another season. There has been talk for several years about Dan retiring. I think it is a logical question and has nothing to do with blame about a loss. I agree with you, I thought we played well at times and am looking forward to next year.

[quote name="Silsbee88" post="709628" timestamp="1258383692"]
[quote author=Slam14 link=topic=62366.msg708790#msg708790 date=1258301960]
[/quote]

Why kill the thread?  This is a legitimate question and topic, just let the moderators monitor it to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.  The question is "Is this the beginning of the end of the Hooks era?"  Coach Hooks has been coaching for many years and this will ALWAYS be a question to answer after each season whether there is turmoil or not.

I'm sure Hooks loves to coach or he wouldn't have hung in there so long, but the real question is "How long does Hooks feel like fighting all of the surrounding issues outside of the X's and O's".  The scary part for wos is that if the fans feel that the school board and officials are making bad decisions and overriding what Hooks wants (after all the things he has done for the school)...then what do you think things will be like when Hooks retires and the board "hand picks" who they want to replace him?  Everyone seems to have their own opinion of who the heir apparent will be, [b]but the board has the ultimate responsibility of recommending a coach to the Superintendent.[/b]

[/quote]

This is an incorrect assessment, the board NEVER makes recommendations for professionals to the Superintendent.  All recommendations are to come to the board from the Superintendent.  Now if it is this way in WOS then they do have some serious problems!

Coach Hooks will remain in WOS as long as he wants, and I would have to say that this man has dedicated his life to the WEST ORANGE COMMUNITY!  Any other coach with this mans record, with any other motives would never have stayed dropping from 5A then to 4A and now to 3A.  He would have moved long ago to stay in the mix with bigger schools.  Coach Hooks does alot more for the community than coach football as was stated earlier - he grows boys into men.  Some don't turn out like he wants but all that go through his program have the opportunity to succeed.

I don't think you will find any other 3A school with the adversity this school has, and is facing with a better record.  Great Job Coach Hooks for last however many years it has been!

[/quote]

Good post 88.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="709701" timestamp="1258388795"]

[/quote]

I agree with you AAW, but like td said, it should be T's to take then Toby. If this school board does anything else there is just no justice in them. Cornel has been as loyal as Dan and deserves the position when that time comes.

With the coaches they have on staff, and the history they have with the program it will be a crime if they give it to an outsider.  They won't find anyone more loyal to WOS than Thompson or Foreman.  They give it to someone outside the program, and they will use it as a stepping stone, and resume builder.

But.....  With my experience with the WOS admin, and school board, and from everything I read on here, they might not do the right thing.  Who knows?  Another option would be the Goodwin guy that left for his hometown Center.  He has turned around that place in one year, and has them in round 2.

[quote name="Bucof2010" post="710466" timestamp="1258434689"]
Man 1 not so bad year and all this pops up
[/quote]

It does seem a bit of chicken little playing out, doesn't it?

Although this has started out with the same question that Mustang fans have had for the last seven or eight years, "Will Coach Hooks be back next year?", it seems to have been used by some to dance on the grave of the 2009 Mustangs and to proclaim the end of the Mustang "dynasty," so I will address both here.

The latter first.  Folks this is not the first time that the Mustangs have had a one and done.  Back in the late 80's and early 90's, C.E King sent WO-S home in the first round three years in a row if memory serves correct.  So this is not an unfamiliar situation for Coach Hooks and he will prepare his charges (probably as we speak) for a successful 2010 football campaign.  This season was marked with its down moments and off the field issues seemed to creep up more than in past years, which probably makes the native of Mont Belvieu even more determined.  Yes, the move to 3A has not brought any state championships...but that classification is filled with pitfalls and storied programs both in this region and throughout the state.  Thus, as in any classification, it will not take a great team to win a state championship, but a SPECIAL one.  That being said, when July 2010 rolls around, the Mustangs will report to two a days with the expectation of winning a state championship as the man at the top wouldn't have it any other way.  And yes, we as fans, right or wrong, harbor that same expectation every year and will continue to do so in years to come.  If that expectation exposes us to ridicule on this or any other board as being arrogant or overrated, then I think that is a cross that we'll be able to easily bare.

Now, as to the question of Coach Hooks' return....my bet is that he will.  He still seems to have passion for the school and his kids and it does not appear that will wain anytime soon.  And I am glad for that as I, too, wonder what life for Mustang football after Dan Hooks will hold.  Yes, Cornel Thompson seems to be the logical choice to be the successor and goodness knows that he has earned it.  But an issue with Coach Thompson that has not been addressed here is that he is no spring chicken himself and it is quite likely that when Coach Hooks hangs it up, Coach Thompson will not be far behind.  That leaves a number of candidates within the WO-S program such as Toby Foreman, who has certainly grown up in the Mustang family (literally) and hopefully has the mindset that would keep him at WO-S for a long period of time. 

But regardless of the choice, I still fear for the future of Mustang football after Coach Hooks for the very same reason as we Mustang fans have seen the aftermath of a long time successful Mustang coach riding into the sunset.  This coach, like Coach Hooks has the very facility he kept watch over named in his honor.  We saw the stable, successful baseball program shepherded by Ronnie Anderson be turned into a virtual revolving door and a program which more often than not now sees many more losses than wins.  Although there have been a long line of candidates, some who have been popular choices and brought up in the Mustang family, to filled his shoes, none has replicated his success. 

We hope that the departure of Coach Hooks, which is hopefully not imminent but is inevitable, does not hold the same result...but that fear is there.

Well said WOS grad. They do have a great program at WOS. It seems to be human nature for the other area fans to see great teams go out early. Know I am not a big fan of the Stangs but it is one of the best in the state. Call it sour grapes or whatever that is the way it works. Now I would love to see Randys softball program go deep in the playoffs.

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="710291" timestamp="1258423949"]
With the coaches they have on staff, and the history they have with the program it will be a crime if they give it to an outsider.  They won't find anyone more loyal to WOS than Thompson or Foreman.  They give it to someone outside the program, and they will use it as a stepping stone, and resume builder.

But.....  With my experience with the WOS admin, and school board, and from everything I read on here, they might not do the right thing.  Who knows?  Another option would be the Goodwin guy that left for his hometown Center.  He has turned around that place in one year, and has them in round 2.
[/quote]

This is an interesting post and leads me to believe you are not who you portrayed to be earlier.  Perhaps YOU now live in Center.

[quote name="w" post="710604" timestamp="1258469302"]
[quote author=BoboandBlair link=topic=62366.msg710291#msg710291 date=1258423949]

[/quote]

This is an interesting post and leads me to believe you are not who you portrayed to be earlier.  [b]Perhaps YOU now live in Center.[/b]
[/quote]

Wrong guess.

Guest Silsbee88
[quote name="WOSgrad" post="710481" timestamp="1258439161"]
[quote author=Bucof2010 link=topic=62366.msg710466#msg710466 date=1258434689]
Man 1 not so bad year and all this pops up
[/quote]

It does seem a bit of chicken little playing out, doesn't it?

Although this has started out with the same question that Mustang fans have had for the last seven or eight years, "Will Coach Hooks be back next year?", it seems to have been used by some to dance on the grave of the 2009 Mustangs and to proclaim the end of the Mustang "dynasty," so I will address both here.

The latter first.  Folks this is not the first time that the Mustangs have had a one and done.  Back in the late 80's and early 90's, C.E King sent WO-S home in the first round three years in a row if memory serves correct.  So this is not an unfamiliar situation for Coach Hooks and he will prepare his charges (probably as we speak) for a successful 2010 football campaign.  This season was marked with its down moments and off the field issues seemed to creep up more than in past years, which probably makes the native of Mont Belvieu even more determined.  Yes, the move to 3A has not brought any state championships...but that classification is filled with pitfalls and storied programs both in this region and throughout the state.  Thus, as in any classification, it will not take a great team to win a state championship, but a SPECIAL one.  That being said, when July 2010 rolls around, the Mustangs will report to two a days with the expectation of winning a state championship as the man at the top wouldn't have it any other way.  And yes, we as fans, right or wrong, harbor that same expectation every year and will continue to do so in years to come.  If that expectation exposes us to ridicule on this or any other board as being arrogant or overrated, then I think that is a cross that we'll be able to easily bare.

Now, as to the question of Coach Hooks' return....my bet is that he will.  He still seems to have passion for the school and his kids and it does not appear that will wain anytime soon.  And I am glad for that as I, too, wonder what life for Mustang football after Dan Hooks will hold.  Yes, Cornel Thompson seems to be the logical choice to be the successor and goodness knows that he has earned it.  But an issue with Coach Thompson that has not been addressed here is that he is no spring chicken himself and it is quite likely that when Coach Hooks hangs it up, Coach Thompson will not be far behind.  That leaves a number of candidates within the WO-S program such as Toby Foreman, who has certainly grown up in the Mustang family (literally) and hopefully has the mindset that would keep him at WO-S for a long period of time. 

But regardless of the choice, I still fear for the future of Mustang football after Coach Hooks for the very same reason as we Mustang fans have seen the aftermath of a long time successful Mustang coach riding into the sunset.  This coach, like Coach Hooks has the very facility he kept watch over named in his honor.  We saw the stable, successful baseball program shepherded by Ronnie Anderson be turned into a virtual revolving door and a program which more often than not now sees many more losses than wins.  Although there have been a long line of candidates, some who have been popular choices and brought up in the Mustang family, to filled his shoes, none has replicated his success. 

We hope that the departure of Coach Hooks, which is hopefully not imminent but is inevitable, does not hold the same result...but that fear is there.
[/quote]

Well said Grad,  I would just like to say that it appears that WOS is back moving in the right direction with the baseball program.  I have several closes friends that really closes to the WOS baseball program and I know Coach Riojas personally.  This will be a successful program again.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="711631" timestamp="1258578601"]
88, I don't know Coach Riojas but I have heard nothing but good things about him and was impressed with the progress he made in his first season.  Hopefully, Mustang baseball is back on the rise.
[/quote]

After a very long period of no discipline and no fundamentals, the baseball program is headed in the right direction. Not only is coach addressing these two issues but many more.

[quote name="td" post="711906" timestamp="1258631711"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=62366.msg711631#msg711631 date=1258578601]
88, I don't know Coach Riojas but I have heard nothing but good things about him and was impressed with the progress he made in his first season.  Hopefully, Mustang baseball is back on the rise.
[/quote]

After a very long period of no discipline and no fundamentals, the baseball program is headed in the right direction. Not only is coach addressing these two issues but many more.
[/quote]

If Coach Riojas could just find an alumni stud that showed interest in the Mustang baseball program they'd be well on their way!  ;D  ;)
Good luck to Mustang Baseball this season!

Guest Silsbee88
[quote name="td" post="711906" timestamp="1258631711"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=62366.msg711631#msg711631 date=1258578601]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed td, you and several others in the West Orange Community are assisting Coach starting at a much younger age.  Great job

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder