Is this the beginning of the end of Hooks ERA

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="707334" timestamp="1258204262"]
Hooks will stay at WOS as long as he wants too.  With that being said, he hasn't done much in the past 6 years while in 3A.  I think once WOS dropped down, everyone would have thought that in 6 years they would have won at least 1 state championship.  Sometimes change is needed, and a new face is what is needed to take a program to the next level.  There is not any excuse for WOS losing in the first round twice, in 6 years in class 3A.  Pretty embarrassing for a once mighty program.
[/quote]I am embarrassed for taking the time to read this post.  You are one mentally challenged unit.  If WO-S should be embarrassed where would that put the rest of the field? No, I believe Hooks stays around and more good things will happen.  The future looks bright for the 'Stangs as the tradition rolls on.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Hupernikomen" post="707424" timestamp="1258213015"]
You are so right.  And it seems that some teams find their sweet spot for a handful of years at time and then come back to the pack.  Liberty Hill had their run of several good years.  Commerce, Ennis, Stephenville, Sealy, etc etc.  Teams dominate for a few years and then are a threat on any given year to win it all.  WO-S had their good run where for 3 years and have been a threat to go all the way many years besides those three.  There are many other teams that the same thing could be said about them.  Next year and year after next will be no different.  They will be capable of running the tables as will Abilene Wiley, Giddings, Cuero and a few others that every year have that potential.
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly, Hup.  Nice post.  I would only disagree with one detail...Giddings.  They may continue to benefit from what is most years a weak Region 4, but won't win it all, not as long as they have their current HC. 

If Hooks stays around for another state championship, like some of you WOS homers suggest, he maybe coaching well into his 80's.

From a 5A school and 4A school (9A's) 30 years ago, from a school that was once a 3-time state finalist in the 80's, from a team that was pretty good (dominate) as a 4A for 25 years, to today.  Yeah, I would classify that as pretty embarrassing.  WOS is a shell of what they once were.  If anyone can get on here and say that their 6 year run in 3A has been successful, then I challenge their knowledge.  Beating OF, BC, HJ, HF, and the likes don't classify you as a power.  Thats hardly the resume they built up beating the Beaumont schools, mid-county schools, and Houston schools for years. 

If you were to go back 10 years and tell people in SE Texas that WOS would lose 2 first round playoff games to 3A schools they would have looked at you like you were retarded.  6 years in 3A, 2 first round loses, 1 semifinal birth, and no state championship games.  What a shame for a program that still wants to think of itself as an elite program, and power.

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="707564" timestamp="1258220291"]
If Hooks stays around for another state championship, like some of you WOS homers suggest, he maybe coaching well into his 80's.

From a 5A school and 4A school (9A's) 30 years ago, from a school that was once a 3-time state finalist in the 80's, from a team that was pretty good (dominate) as a 4A for 25 years, to today.  Yeah, I would classify that as pretty embarrassing.  WOS is a shell of what they once were.  If anyone can get on here and say that their 6 year run in 3A has been successful, then I challenge their knowledge.  Beating OF, BC, HJ, HF, and the likes don't classify you as a power.  Thats hardly the resume they built up beating the Beaumont schools, mid-county schools, and Houston schools for years.  

If you were to go back 10 years and tell people in SE Texas that WOS would lose 2 first round playoff games to 3A schools they would have looked at you like you were retarded.  6 years in 3A, 2 first round loses, 1 semifinal birth, and no state championship games.  What a shame for a program that still wants to think of itself as an elite program, and power.
[/quote]

bobo, im not sure if we should be embarassed but you have stated a few facts and do have a few valid points that get the old mind turning.  :'(

i am curious though, you seem to know alot about wos and have a very strong opinion as to where the program stands, what area team do you support?

If you think the worst problem you have at West-Orange is a potential coaching change, you are looking at the wrong area. There are schools in this area who would kill to be in the play-offs.
High dropout rate, poor math scores, poor science scores, an unacceptable high school.
Maybe some of the money spent of football needs to be diverted into hiring new math teachers.

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="707564" timestamp="1258220291"]

From a 5A school and 4A school (9A's) 30 years ago, from a school that was once a 3-time state finalist in the 80's, from a team that was pretty good (dominate) as a 4A for 25 years, to today.  Yeah, I would classify that as pretty embarrassing.  WOS is a shell of what they once were.  If anyone can get on here and say that their 6 year run in 3A has been successful, then I challenge their knowledge.  Beating OF, BC, HJ, HF, and the likes don't classify you as a power.  Thats hardly the resume they built up beating the Beaumont schools, mid-county schools, and Houston schools for years.  

If you were to go back 10 years and tell people in SE Texas that WOS would lose 2 first round playoff games to 3A schools they would have looked at you like you were retarded.  6 years in 3A, 2 first round loses, 1 semifinal birth, and no state championship games.  What a shame for a program that still wants to think of itself as an elite program, and power.
[/quote]

In 4A WO-S lost first round playoff games to 4A schools several times.  Now it has happened in 3A...again...big deal. 

Does WO-S have any state championships in their 3A tenure?  No, and they didnt have any in the 90's (a finalist in 2000) when they were, as you put it "beating up Beaumont, mid county, and Houston schools".  Does that make their 4A teams in the 90's unsuccessful?  No, the WOS coaches and players put a lot of really good teams on the field and gave the community something to be proud of.  I also don't think the 6 years in 3A have been unsuccessful.  In those 6 years WO-S has complied a 59-11 record (84% winning percentage), has beaten the likes of Nederland, Bay City, Beaumont Central, Jasper, Dayton, Giddings, Silsbee, Kirbyville (not exactly the little kids on the block) and produced several D1 athletes.  Things are fine in Mustang country

[quote name="GreenIce" post="707670" timestamp="1258226579"]
If you think the worst problem you have at West-Orange is a potential coaching change, you are looking at the wrong area. There are schools in this area who would kill to be in the play-offs.
High dropout rate, poor math scores, poor science scores, an unacceptable high school.
Maybe some of the money spent of football needs to be diverted into hiring new math teachers.
[/quote]

Valid points. WOSISD has bigger fish to fry than to worry about football.

[quote name="meanjoe" post="707830" timestamp="1258232225"]
Some of the same problems plague other local high schools also.
[/quote]

But no others in the Golden Triangle have been tagged unacceptable by the TEA for 2009.
Once again, I would be worrying about those math and science scores. Not football scores.

Skipper and Green Ice both bring up good points.

If the WOS school system continues to spiral downward, and the test scores continually get worse, maybe they will lose enough kids and drop to 2A.  Yeah, thats what they need.  They couldn't get it done in 3A, so maybe 2A will be nicer to them.  Heck, if that don't work, by 2018, they can beat up on High Island, Evadale, Burkeville, Chester, and Sabine Pass.  I'm pretty sure they can win it all in 1A.

[quote name="SHSTIGER" post="707918" timestamp="1258234595"]
We're on a football board, where it's perfectly acceptable to worry about football scores. ::)
[/quote]

And that might be part of West Orange's problem.....More concerned with football than school. Roll your eyes all you want, SHSTIGER, West Orange is a shell of its former self, and education is part of the problem. Even the parents of athletes are trying to get to districts like LCM so their kids can have a descent education.

[quote name="SHSTIGER" post="707991" timestamp="1258236557"]
I'm sure the wos fans are more aware of the problems in their district than the rest of us. Why does every post about anything  happening over there, be it kids getting in trouble or them OMG losing a football game, devolve to this same tired conversation?
[/quote]

It is not tired, something needs to be done. I left the district because of overemphasis on anything but sports. There are good folks there, both white and black and they deserve better. Most would move if they could afford to do so. Football amounts to a diversion to real troubles in the school. They need a new Supt. or Trustees or someone to save that district. If things don't change, TEA is going to come to town and shake things up.

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="707938" timestamp="1258235157"]
Skipper and Green Ice both bring up good points.

If the WOS school system continues to spiral downward, and the test scores continually get worse, maybe they will lose enough kids and drop to 2A.  Yeah, thats what they need.  They couldn't get it done in 3A, so maybe 2A will be nicer to them.  Heck, if that don't work, by 2018, they can beat up on High Island, Evadale, Burkeville, Chester, and Sabine Pass.  I'm pretty sure they can win it all in 1A.
[/quote]

again, what team do you support?

Guest rykerx144
[quote name="GreenIce" post="708015" timestamp="1258237496"]
[quote author=SHSTIGER link=topic=62366.msg707991#msg707991 date=1258236557]
I'm sure the wos fans are more aware of the problems in their district than the rest of us. Why does every post about anything  happening over there, be it kids getting in trouble or them OMG losing a football game, devolve to this same tired conversation?
[/quote]

It is not tired, something needs to be done. I left the district because of overemphasis on anything but sports. There are good folks there, both white and black and they deserve better. Most would move if they could afford to do so. Football amounts to a diversion to real troubles in the school. They need a new Supt. or Trustees or someone to save that district. If things don't change, TEA is going to come to town and shake things up.

[/quote]

WOW!!  They lose one football game and the beheadings begin.  Before the game was even over there was talk of the possibility of the no more Hooks.  Now we are not only getting rid of Hooks but the other coaches and  the Supt., the trustees the board members, the administration, and probably before its over a few teachers.  Whos's next??  Hey does anyone have any dirt on the Janitors or the Cafeteria lady?  I bet thats whos really to blame here!!

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="707334" timestamp="1258204262"]
Hooks will stay at WOS as long as he wants too.  With that being said, he hasn't done much in the past 6 years while in 3A.  I think once WOS dropped down, everyone would have thought that in 6 years they would have won at least 1 state championship.  Sometimes change is needed, and a new face is what is needed to take a program to the next level.  There is not any excuse for WOS losing in the first round twice, in 6 years in class 3A.  Pretty embarrassing for a once mighty program.
[/quote]

And your experience as a process operator enables you to accurately assess coaching talent???

Coach Hooks will return.
He is a winner and a winner will leave when he feels good about his season. I know unless you win a state championship, the season will always end with a loss. I don't believe he feels good about this season with the turmoil (IMO).  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder