Baseball's "Chosen One" quits high school

this kid is about to make millions. hes not gonna get any better in high school and hes gonna get a year of college which he wouldnt have gotten anyways. any of you would have done the same if the opportunity was there

I have been following this kid and if you read most of the articles it seems that his parents are using him as their meal ticket to millions.  I wonder where he gets his size?  His father, I think is small in stature.  I hope it goes well for him and that it doesn't backfire.

Guest Ranger83

The kid's a beast! That being said, he is not ready for Major League pitching at 17 yrs old. There is a BIG difference between Johnny High School's fast-ball and any MLB caliber fast-ball. Enjoy youth!

the kid is getting his GED and then going to a Juco for a year. Anyone saying they would wait 2 years for 20mil is just lieing

I have to agree w/ you. As I first read about this in SI, I thought they were crazy. However, the more I thought about it , it seems to make more sense.

He could have graduated early like many great athletes do, but it's too late for that.

I don't think his abilities are "natural", but that doesn't mean he has done anything illegal.

I have seen some of his youtube videos, and the competition he plays against is quite terrible. I would like to see him play in a better district, like the ones here in South East Texas!

IMO, that's a really boneheaded move on dads' part, what happens if the kid has a career ending injury very early in his career? Does he go to work for McDonalds? He certainly won't be prepared for anything else. What I see here is a parent trying to cash in as soon as possible on a kids talent. The boy needs to get an agent, not his dad, and a lawyer to protect him before things get out of control.

If he gets his GED and goes to college, whats the big deal? If he gets 10 million and invests it smartly, at that age, he's set for life. What would concern me is dealing with all that the money brings..........drugs, women, fame, and all the evils that go along with it. I hope his Father has a plan for that!

If he gets his GED and goes to college, whats the big deal? If he gets 10 million and invests it smartly, at that age, he's set for life. What would concern me is dealing with all that the money brings..........drugs, women, fame, and all the evils that go along with it. I hope his Father has a plan for that!

Well said.

You realize the kid has played on the select circuit against alot of the top players in the country already? and if he has a major injury where he cant play again then he will get his degree and move on but im pretty sure he already has an insurance policy for that. All the top athletes have them now so if they get hurt they still get a nice chunk of change. The guy who is advising him his Boras and has told him to go overseas for a year and then become a free agent. They sign at 16 there and get big money. This kid is not gonna get any better playing against highschoolers. And he wont be going against Major League Pitching at 17. He will be groomed like everyone else and go Rookie/A/High A etc etc etc and if hes not good enough then im sure he will take all that money that he has and get his degree and enjoy a nice life.

Guest Penny

You can ALWAYS go back to school and earn a degree, so that doesn't bother me in the least.  It's not the high school fastball versus the big league fastball either... it's the breakin stuff in the show, I've seen Bull Durham.  And as far as an injury, this kid will have an insurance policy taken out that will pay him well if he has a career ending injury.  Only reason for him to stay would be if he wants to have fun being a kid in high school... if he don't want that, then he should cash in.

I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday that knows Harper very well and said that the kid is a great kid, not full of himself, & level headed.  He has had the opportunity to been around Harper and several other #1 draft picks at his training facility and can honestly say the boy has tremendous talent and that if anyone can pull it off it would be Harper but he does not advocate any player to quit high school and expresses this strongly to all of the students.  I wish the best for the kid and hope that his parents have not compromised him by letting him take anything or by guiding him into quitting high school.  If it doesn't work out not only do his baseball dreams go down the tubes but his last two years of high school memories do to. 

IMO, that's a really boneheaded move on dads' part, what happens if the kid has a career ending injury very early in his career? Does he go to work for McDonalds? He certainly won't be prepared for anything else. What I see here is a parent trying to cash in as soon as possible on a kids talent. The boy needs to get an agent, not his dad, and a lawyer to protect him before things get out of control.

Baseball contracts are not like football or basketball contracts.  Almost all contracts state the club will pay for 6 semesters of ANY college of their choice. So signing early is not bad for the kids education.  10 million is a huge signing bonus..........take the money, go to school in the offsesason, and finish the college if things do not work out.  Dad is IMO did the right thing........

• 2 weeks later...

He dropped out of school to go to college!!!! not drop out to try and play for some independent league team.  Yeah his dad is useing his son as his personal meal ticket and prob live in his sons house and off his money when he quits his job after he gets drafted but the worst case scenario is the kid does not get drafted and gets a college degree!!

This episode is reportedly driven by the MLB contract that will be up and possibly changed to affect this player and others in the 2011 amatuer draft. Waiting to finish high school another year may cost him millions in signing bonus money. The 2010 draft is supposed to be a weaker year for catchers and he will likely be the first one taken if he opts to graduate / ged early. In this area we know how future employees can be slighted when it comes to benefits to protect current employees. Thats just the way the system works. I say go for it ,play with the big boys and get the degree later if you can or want to.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder