Baseball's "Chosen One" quits high school

No way I would let my kid quit high school. The GED is designed to test your minimum abilities to finish high school. If you are smart enough, yes, you can go to college if you do well enough on the SAT and get whatever degree you are capable of getting. Missing your last two years of high school would, in my opinion, make college a lot tougher. Is there a guarantee that the kid will be the #1 pick? If not he will not receive near as much money if he doesn't get picked first. Everyone needs a good foundation to start out adult life on and missing out on the last two years of high school is not the way to get it.

No way I would let my kid quit high school. The GED is designed to test your minimum abilities to finish high school. If you are smart enough, yes, you can go to college if you do well enough on the SAT and get whatever degree you are capable of getting. Missing your last two years of high school would, in my opinion, make college a lot tougher. Is there a guarantee that the kid will be the #1 pick? If not he will not receive near as much money if he doesn't get picked first. Everyone needs a good foundation to start out adult life on and missing out on the last two years of high school is not the way to get it.

I have got to agree.....I believe everyone should receive as much education as possible.

The education he can get later and it will likely be payed for by a Pro team.  What he can't get later is the memories with his friends in HS. (Prom, Graduation, etc.)  The kid may have $30 mil. in the bank by the time he is 18, so its hard to blame him or his parents for wanting to start his career early.

This kid seems to have the tools to make it to the league, but how many other dad's out there think their kid is just as good and can do the same thing.  I just hope this doesn't lead to a bunch of kids dropping out of HS to go pro when they don't posess the skills of a Bryce Harper.  This happens alot in basketball with kids getting bad info that they will be top picks in the draft, and go undrafted when they could have gotten a free education.

I really doubt this starts happening a lot! How many times have you heard of this before. I personally think you would be nuts to pass up this opportunity. I think a lot of people that are against this decision are disappointed because they do not have this decision to make. Maybe his dad is using him as a meal ticket. If the dad had the chance to make this kind of money I bet he would let his son feed pretty good off of it.

• 1 month later...

He didn't have a good day at the plate......but man he has a cannon for an arm.

Jamo from The Woodlands didn't look too bad either.  ;)

Eagle i didn't start watching till late, missed Jamo, what did he do? Harper looked real good behind the plate, maybe a little to aggresive at the plate, but its a showcase.

He didn't have a good day at the plate......but man he has a cannon for an arm.

Jamo from The Woodlands didn't look too bad either.  ;)

Eagle i didn't start watching till late, missed Jamo, what did he do? Harper looked real good behind the plate, maybe a little to aggresive at the plate, but its a showcase.

I watched the 1st four innings. Saw Jamo pitch two innings. Jamo hit 97 on a few occasions and mixed in a very good curveball. Looks like he is starting to develop a changeup. If I remember correctly, he struck 4 or 5 and only gave up an infield single on a close play at first. He looks very poised.

Harper looked great behind the plate. Like you said, overly agrresive at the plate. Biggio and the other announcer mentioned that he does have alot of movement in his swing. I agree. He will have to tone it down some as he progressives up each level.

Awesome, but i think it's against the rules to throw a 97 mph fastball that moves all over the place and have a changeup, it's Addendum rule # 95 " Thou shall not fool the hitter with a changeup if you throw over 95 mph." They ain't right man. I know he wasn't on the cover of Sports Illustrated, but he is gooood.

Awesome, but i think it's against the rules to throw a 97 mph fastball that moves all over the place and have a changeup, it's Addendum rule # 95 " Thou shall not fool the hitter with a changeup if you throw over 95 mph." They ain't right man. I know he wasn't on the cover of Sports Illustrated, but he is gooood.

No doubt. I actually think I would take Jamo over Harper.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami