*HURRICANE IKE AFTERMATH AND COMMENTS*

KFDM COOP

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please explain why we have people standed on rooftops and cars and barely get mentioned yet Houston has a skyscraper with some glass blown out and that's what gets the most coverage?   

>:(

Because there is no story when a small town like BC gets wiped off the map.  But they are trying everything they can to manufacture a story in Houston.  Just like in Katrina.  All the focus was on New Orleans, but the storm surge destroyed Biloxi.  BC has been basically been destroyed but you won't hear much of that from the national media.  

Can someone please explain why we have people standed on rooftops and cars and barely get mentioned yet Houston has a skyscraper with some glass blown out and that's what gets the most coverage?   

Because there is no story when a small town like BC gets wiped off the map.  But they are trying everything they can to manufacture a story in Houston.  Just like in Katrina.  All the focus was on New Orleans, but the storm surge destroyed Biloxi.  BC has been basically been destroyed but you won't hear much of that from the national media.  

CNN is airing a 2 hour special based from BC (with Anderson Cooper).  It is on the air now.

I am in waveland / bay st. louis right now..... this was once a beautiful area and has not even come close to recovering and probably never will....  Houston equals more people equals better national news

This scenario is the "perfect storm" for our area because all of the resources are in houston... and us country folk have to just wait our turn....

just got off the phone registering with fema... theyre saying there will be no assistance to those of us who evacuated!  if anyone hears anything different please post.

THE LATEST AT 5:47p: At a news conference late Saturday afternoon, Harris County Judge Ed Emmett praised the work of rescue and relief workers in the hours after Hurricane Ike struck a powerful blow along the Texas Gulf Coast. He said FEMA has a plan in place to assist residents who have lost their homes. "We're not out of this yet, but we're certainly on the path," Emmett said,adding that the cooperation between local, state and federal agencies is "a model for the entire country." Houston Mayor Ed White said residents should continue to boil water for drinking purposes until further notice. He said work is under way to restore pressure to the city's water supply and to ensure its safety and integrity. He also said work continues to restore power to nearly 3 million customers who are blacked out. FEMA spokesman Dick Gifford said the emergency declaration signed by the president means that storm victims can apply for financial assistance for temporary housing. Homeowners are eligible to receive funding for repairs not covered by insurance. Other funds are available to cover personal property, transportation, and medical expenses. Gifford said there are only two ways to apply for assistance, at the FEMA Web site and by a toll-free telephone number.

• LINK: Apply for FEMA assistance online

• PHONE: Call 800-621-3362 to apply for FEMA assistance by telephone

just got off the phone registering with fema... theyre saying there will be no assistance to those of us who evacuated!  if anyone hears anything different please post.

THE LATEST AT 5:47p: At a news conference late Saturday afternoon, Harris County Judge Ed Emmett praised the work of rescue and relief workers in the hours after Hurricane Ike struck a powerful blow along the Texas Gulf Coast. He said FEMA has a plan in place to assist residents who have lost their homes. "We're not out of this yet, but we're certainly on the path," Emmett said,adding that the cooperation between local, state and federal agencies is "a model for the entire country." Houston Mayor Ed White said residents should continue to boil water for drinking purposes until further notice. He said work is under way to restore pressure to the city's water supply and to ensure its safety and integrity. He also said work continues to restore power to nearly 3 million customers who are blacked out. FEMA spokesman Dick Gifford said the emergency declaration signed by the president means that storm victims can apply for financial assistance for temporary housing. Homeowners are eligible to receive funding for repairs not covered by insurance. Other funds are available to cover personal property, transportation, and medical expenses. Gifford said there are only two ways to apply for assistance, at the FEMA Web site and by a toll-free telephone number.

• LINK: Apply for FEMA assistance online

• PHONE: Call 800-621-3362 to apply for FEMA assistance by telephone

[/quote

excuse my ignorance, but will the assistance be like lit was for rita? is it going to help the folks who evacuated and are unable to come home? will it cover their rooms and expenses while evacuated? i know some people took advantage of fema but there are alot of evacuees that are finacially in trouble and cant return home or have nothing to return to. also, not everyone is a home owner....

KOGT UPDATE ON ORANGE AND WEST ORANGE

This is the hidden content, please

Sept. 13, 7:55pm- Today's pictures are now in our gallery.  Be prepared to pick your mouth up off the floor.  Got a chance to check out more of Orange and West Orange after spending most of the day in BC.  Lindenwood had its usual trees down but didn't see any trees thru homes.  One roof on Poe St. was ripped off.  The west side of Park St. had some closed areas near the Adams Bayou bridge and also further down by Camelot.  That whole neighborhood was covered in water.  In downtown Orange from 10th and John all the way to Simmons had some kind of water on it.  Authorities were using the intersection of 10th and John as a boat ramp.  I couldn't find any way to get to the Lamar area that wasn't already closed.  West Orange suffered a big hit as many homes were flooded including Irving and many of the roads running across it.  WOS High School didn't appear to have any heavy damage.  Holly St was just about completely covered in water as they have a large ditch that runs through the middle of it.  Any place that had a big ditch, bayou, creek, etc, saw flooding.  For example, Roselawn floods when it sprinkles yet they did not hold any water compared to others. Didn't get a chance to get to Orangefield but didn't hear of any major damage there or in Mauriceville where most people who called us said they just lost power and maybe a tree or two. Tonight the military and a large group of Urban yada yada Enforcement showed up.  Not sure of the title as they were zooming past me in a convoy headed for various areas.  It was an impressive group with boats, charter buses, 18 wheelers full of generators, and a lot of camouflage.  With limited use of the internet now AND a curfew this will probably be my final post tonight.  We hope to be on a better schedule Sunday. 

My gut feeling says that when all is said and done that Ike will make Katrina/Rita look very pale by comparison.  The population of Houston alone is what 6-8 times that of New Orleans and thats just Houston not Galveston, the Triangle etc?  Add to that the number of Katrina evacuees living off the FEMA for the last 3 years currently in Houston who never left after Katrina was over will be amongst the first in line with their hands back out.  Plus, the fact that as a whole Houston is a wealthier city than NO for insurance purposes will probably crater the insurance market bankrupting many firms, then once Entergy gets power back up you will hear again as we did post Rita about how much money they lost damage wise which will mean jacking the electric rates thru the roof, if i'm not  mistaken they were trying to raise rates this summer before Ike and still attributing it to Rita. Not to even mention the price of gas in my guess will hit $5 per gallon by end of the month because of possible damage to the rigs and the all the area plants. And the gov't thinks the economy sucks now, it has not yet begun to suck

My gut feeling says that when all is said and done that Ike will make Katrina/Rita look very pale by comparison.  The population of Houston alone is what 6-8 times that of New Orleans and thats just Houston not Galveston, the Triangle etc?  Add to that the number of Katrina evacuees living off the FEMA for the last 3 years currently in Houston who never left after Katrina was over will be amongst the first in line with their hands back out.  Plus, the fact that as a whole Houston is a wealthier city than NO for insurance purposes will probably crater the insurance market bankrupting many firms, then once Entergy gets power back up you will hear again as we did post Rita about how much money they lost damage wise which will mean jacking the electric rates thru the roof, if i'm not  mistaken they were trying to raise rates this summer before Ike and still attributing it to Rita. Not to even mention the price of gas in my guess will hit $5 per gallon by end of the month because of possible damage to the rigs and the all the area plants. And the gov't thinks the economy sucks now, it has not yet begun to suck

yo, you got a valid point, i didnt think about that

My wife works at the WOS middle school. She works over in the Carr Bldg. Does anyone know anything about this area? The WOCCISD website will not pull up. The BC and OF sites will and state school is closed all this coming week and then will be notified of changes after that. We cant get and WOS info. Thanks

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder