*HURRICANE IKE AFTERMATH AND COMMENTS*

KFDM COOP

Here is what I don't understand. The area is still under mandatory evac. Yet, daily people return to the area, you hear stories of how cities are having a hard time getting things up and running because the systems are still running without power and for you to stay out. So, why are they allowing people to come in. After Rita they allowed nobody in until it was safe to do so. Why is this time different? With water still standing in some areas there are greater risk of disease, with water not being cleared as drinkable and useable yet, there are health risk. Why is this a "better" storm then Rita. People complaining because they can't get help, I think we were told to leave and last I checked we have not been given the all clear to go back, if you decided to stay you were told you would be without services and to be able to live on your own for 10 days. We are only in day five. So...is there a bigger problem occurring because people are allowed to go back to their homes?

In my most humble opinion the problem is bigger because people are coming back in.  My husband is one of the ones that had to stay because he works for one of the cities.  He has called me time and time again complaining because they are being hindered due to the people coming back in.  He works for one of the lesser-affected cities, but they are still without power and still have clean up to do.  I can only imagine how Bridge City and Orange workers must be frustrated!!!  I certainly cant understand by WO is wanting school to start on Monday when we are still under mandatory evac.  My kids wont be there!

While listening to KOGT yesterday, they interviewed the mayors of Bridge City and Orange.  One or both of them said that they are encouraging people to come back if they have a place to stay or someone to stay with.  He said that the people are vital the rebuilding process.  Now if you can't stay in your house or have nobody to stay with, come clean your house or whatever and then go back where you are.  I know that with gas prices and lack of work, that is easier said than done.  It takes a community to build a community.  I was lucky and have nothing wrong where I am.  Hell I am on the internet here in Orange.  I'm here to just help out my friends and their families and my family.  I was cozy where I evacuated too.  With the health risks, I think they should be offering people free shots in the Orange and Bridge City areas.  A rusty nail and sewage and dead fish everywhere isn't healthy.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that is the case why doesn't Orange County lift the mandatory evacuation? I agree you need people to rebuild and community to do it BUT at what cost? That rebuilding process can't happen till there is city/county/goverment support and services and it seems that we are hearing by having more and more people in cities it makes that process much harder and longer to get done. I just don't think the county officials thought it all through....they say one thing and do another. (at least in Jefferson County). Just my thoughts...

I know the people of the Mississippi coast feel our pain.... they were the red-headed step-child after Katrina but recieved much more damage in my opinion... there were many towns wiped off the map.  Everyone I have talked to here tries to hug us and most start saying a prayer for all of the people in our area on the spot...  It is truly an amazing thing.

As far as national attention, there was nothing to sensationalize...  had Houston recieved more damage, there would be people running for any office all over the place...  but a lower populated area gets hit and the big story is just not there...

I would love to see Barrack and Geraldo helping chainsaw some downed trees...

As a native of LA, I amazed at the lack of coverage by the media of the small towns who are facing so much damage from this storm.  Having lived outside the state for more than 30 years, I have come to realize that most of the country believes that New Orleans is the only city in the state of Louisiana.  There are so many other cities and small towns suffering from this storm and so little help.  It is frustrating for me to read these blogs and see how many people are stuggling to get FEMA to give them help when the government is bailing out companies and the CEO's are walking with their pockets stuffed with the money of so many taxpayers.  Apparently the media does not realize there are other towns in SETX besides Galveston and Houston.  Towns like Bridge City and Orange are dealing with major problems and need the govenrments help.  I truly hope at some point  soon the officials with Homeland Security, FEMA, etc will put their money where their mouths are and get these people the help they need to rebuild their homes.  Standing in front of a microphone and telling people things they think they want to hear is one thing, doing it is the right thing.  

i said this before and was told i was insensitive, but the government should help people in the short term when they are unable to return home due to a government order..(ie: mandatory evac.)

Everyone has an opportunity to obtain insurance to protect against these things... other wise it is the same as bailing out a failed bank.. (that is a whole other story)  Those without insurance are gambling.... and as happens in gambling you will eventually lose...  people who cannot afford to insure their homes, may be living above their means...

I just hate seeing our country turn into a bunch of people always wanting the government to take care of them...  russia tried that and it didn't work...

**** I feel for those that had losses and pray that they are able to recover!!!  I just had to get this in here before chad puts another plug for obamma on here.

POSSIBLE GASOLINE SHORTAGE THIS WEEKEND!

My brother in law operates several water utility districts on the west side of Houston.

Most of his generators are running on diesel.

He has talked to several distributors, they have diesel, but are running out of gasoline.

He said this weekend there could be gas stations simply running out of gasoline.

We are now importing all our gasoline and we might be close to running dry.

As far as he knew, as of Wednesday, most of the refineries where still off line.

I think the country might just find out how important the economies of east Houston and SETX are when you have 25% of the nations refining capacity off line for over a week.

Any of you refinery workers know if they have most of the refineries up and running?

We also need to remember, as far as area impacted, this might be the granddaddy of ANY hurricane ever to hit the USA.

From HWY 6 in Houston to SW Louisiana there are STILL major outages.

That is a huge junk of land especially considering one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country is on the western fringe of the destruction area.

With that much area damaged it is just not possible for the state and federal governments to wave a magic wand and make everything ok.

To me, what is most important is getting the heavy industry up and running, (seems like they still haven't gotten there).

People just have to be PATIENT and be thankful for the weather.

At least it isn't as hot as it was after Rita.

Take care of your families and if possible help out the local governments.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder