*HURRICANE IKE AFTERMATH AND COMMENTS*

KFDM COOP

Alligators, free-roaming cattle raise concerns

Chester Moore, Jr.

The Orange Leader

Reports of alligators in yards and roadways and free-roaming cattle have come in from a variety of sources in Southeast Texas. Both are potentially dangerous and a cause of concern.

Southeast Texas has an alligator population numbering well over 200,000 and many of them have been displaced by the huge storm surge that ravaged the region. Luckily, alligators are not aggressive under most circumstances but they should be respected and certainly not approached.

The following are some alligator safety tips from the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department.

# If you hear an alligator hiss, it's a warning that you are too close.

# Alligators have a natural fear of humans, and usually begin a quick retreat when approached by people. If you have a close encounter with an alligator a few yards away, back away slowly. It is extremely rare for wild alligators to chase people, but they can run up to 35 miles per hour for short distances on land. Never make the mistake of thinking that an alligator is slow and lethargic. Alligators are extremely quick and agile and will defend themselves when cornered.

# It is not uncommon for alligators to bask along the banks of a pond or stream for extended periods of time. These alligators are usually warming their bodies; they are not actively hunting. Often times a basking alligator may be seen with its mouth open; this is a way to cool its body temperature down, since alligators do not pant or sweat. An approaching human should cause these alligators to retreat into the water.

# If you see an alligator while walking a pet make sure that your pet is on a leash and under your control. Your pet will naturally be curious, and the alligator may see an easy food source. Alligators have a keen sense of smell. In areas near alligator sightings it is wise to keep pets inside a fenced area or in the house for a few days, during which the alligator will often move on.

Free-ranging cattle are another issue and there have been numerous reports of them in rural parts of Jefferson and Orange counties where fences were knocked down during the storm. The danger with these cattle is two-fold.

The greatest threat is to motorist not expecting the animals on roadways and colliding with them. When driving in rural areas using extreme caution.The second is that these cattle may be unnaturally aggressive due to consuming saltwater.

After Hurricane Rita there were numerous incidents of cattle charging people and vehicles when they were in this strange saltwater induced aggressive state.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alligators, free-roaming cattle raise concerns

Chester Moore, Jr.

The Orange Leader

Reports of alligators in yards and roadways and free-roaming cattle have come in from a variety of sources in Southeast Texas. Both are potentially dangerous and a cause of concern.

Southeast Texas has an alligator population numbering well over 200,000 and many of them have been displaced by the huge storm surge that ravaged the region. Luckily, alligators are not aggressive under most circumstances but they should be respected and certainly not approached.

The following are some alligator safety tips from the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department.

# If you hear an alligator hiss, it's a warning that you are too close.

# Alligators have a natural fear of humans, and usually begin a quick retreat when approached by people. If you have a close encounter with an alligator a few yards away, back away slowly. It is extremely rare for wild alligators to chase people, but they can run up to 35 miles per hour for short distances on land. Never make the mistake of thinking that an alligator is slow and lethargic. Alligators are extremely quick and agile and will defend themselves when cornered.

# It is not uncommon for alligators to bask along the banks of a pond or stream for extended periods of time. These alligators are usually warming their bodies; they are not actively hunting. Often times a basking alligator may be seen with its mouth open; this is a way to cool its body temperature down, since alligators do not pant or sweat. An approaching human should cause these alligators to retreat into the water.

# If you see an alligator while walking a pet make sure that your pet is on a leash and under your control. Your pet will naturally be curious, and the alligator may see an easy food source. Alligators have a keen sense of smell. In areas near alligator sightings it is wise to keep pets inside a fenced area or in the house for a few days, during which the alligator will often move on.

Free-ranging cattle are another issue and there have been numerous reports of them in rural parts of Jefferson and Orange counties where fences were knocked down during the storm. The danger with these cattle is two-fold.

The greatest threat is to motorist not expecting the animals on roadways and colliding with them. When driving in rural areas using extreme caution.The second is that these cattle may be unnaturally aggressive due to consuming saltwater.

After Hurricane Rita there were numerous incidents of cattle charging people and vehicles when they were in this strange saltwater induced aggressive state.

Snakes are bad as well!

LU and LIT begin Recovery Phase

This is the hidden content, please

Lamar University and Lamar Institute of Technology have begun the active recovery phase. The recovery team assembled on campus early Sunday to began a walk-through assessment of the university's more than 80 academic buildings and the 1,000 rooms of Cardinal Village.

While significant, damage to the campus was described as less than that suffered during Hurricane Rita.  Roofs repaired following the 2005 hurricane appeared to have held up well, officials said.  However, windblown rain did penetrate structures around windows and other points, requiring immediate remediation.

Assisting campus staff with the work are restoration companies and employees of Davis Brothers of Houston, the builders of the university?s Cardinal Village.  The lack of electrical power is seen as the greatest immediate challenge, officials said.

The date for the resumption of classes will depend on both the restoration of the campus and the restoration of electrical power and other services to the communities of Southeast Texas.

Faculty, staff and students should not return to campus at this time. Check Lamar.edu, LIT.edu or local news media for current updates

Possible building colapse in Orange

By BLAIR ORTMANN

Orange firemen are responding to a possible building collapse on North Fifth Street.

A distress call heard on a police scanner said the building was located in either the 900 or 1000 block.

People are thought to be inside the building.

Stay with BeaumontEnterprise.com for more on this story

Caskets wash up in Orange

By MARGARET TOAL

More than 100 caskets emerged from concrete crypts in Orange during Hurricane Ike.

A wooden casket buried in Evergreen Cemetery in 1996 for a 91-year-old woman was seen Monday resting against a chain link fence at the cemetery.

Hollywood Cemetery on Simmons Drive is said to have lost 100 caskets to the storm surge.

Possible building colapse in Orange

By BLAIR ORTMANN

Orange firemen are responding to a possible building collapse on North Fifth Street.

A distress call heard on a police scanner said the building was located in either the 900 or 1000 block.

People are thought to be inside the building.

Stay with BeaumontEnterprise.com for more on this story

:o

Does anyone know the reason 1442 or Roundbunch, near Tyler Estates, is blocked by 10 cop cars.  They say they are still rescuiing people, and that it is not due to the water level.  They will not let you by, no matter what the circumstance.  This was about an hour or 2 ago.

I've been told by a few folks involved in the rescue efforts that much of the deaths are being hidden.  Unconfirmed reports from these eyewitnesses say there will be a much larger death toll in Orange County than originally thought, perhaps in the 300-400 range.  People were (and still are) being pulled from their houses for hours on end beginning Saturday, both dead and alive.

I've been told by a few folks involved in the rescue efforts that much of the deaths are being hidden.  Unconfirmed reports from these eyewitnesses say there will be a much larger death toll in Orange County than originally thought, perhaps in the 300-400 range.  People were (and still are) being pulled from their houses for hours on end beginning Saturday, both dead and alive.

Gov. Perry: long time to come back from Ike

By MATTHEW DANELO

Gov. Rick Perry Monday said it will take the state a long time to recover from Hurricane Ike.

Perry, who spent around two hours Monday morning flying over effected areas, said he spent a great deal of his time surveying the damage to Orange County, particularly Bridge City.

Perry praised local, federal and state authorities for their rescue efforts during a stop at the Orange County Emergency Operations Center at the AT&T building in downtown Orange.

County Judge Carl Thibodeaux told Perry there have been no reports of death in the county.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please don't post "unconfirmed" information on matters like deaths. If something official is released we will post. I pray Mr. Thibodeaux is right...

BC official reports no confirmed deaths

Debby Schamber

The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — Although there have been uncofirmed rumors of death after Hurricane Ike Joey Hargrave, Bridge City interim police chief, said there have not been any reported deaths but there are cases of missing individuals which officers are looking into.

“Water levels have receded for the most part and we are in search and rescue operations,†Hargave said. “We encourage people to come in check your house, clean them up but leave before curfew from 6 p.m . to 6 a.m.â€

Calls to Bridge City City Manager Jerry Jones and other Bridge City officials were not immediately return Monday afternoon.

City officials from Orange are not restricting access and encourage people to come into the city only to secure property.

The city sewage system is not up and running.

Once people start using the sewer system, it will begin to no longer function because it is without power, according to Joe Mires, with the Orange Fire Department.

“Don’t plan on coming home now,†Mires said.

The city of Orange curfew is from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. and the city is still working under evacuation conditions.

Mires did say a point of distribution is at Conn’s Shopping Center which is giving out water, ice and MREs.

Parts of Orange have received power. Officials confirmed Memorial Hermann Baptist Hospital has power.

BC Mayor: No fatalities that we know of

By Tommy Mann Jr.

The Orange Leader

Although reports of death and destruction are everywhere, Bridge City officials want the public to know only half of that statement is true.

According to Kirk Roccaforte, mayor of Bridge City, no bodies have been found as of Monday.

"There are no fatalities that we know of anywhere in Bridge City or in Orange County," Roccaforte said. "We still have search and rescue teams going door to door in some neighborhoods to confirm whether the residents evacuated or not, but we do not have any deaths to report."

Roccaforte spoke highly of the city's police department which was among the first people helping residents who failed to evacuate the day Ike struck Southeast Texas.

"Our police department and rescuers did an amazing job," Roccaforte said. "They started out early Saturday morning and by the time it was done, we believe they saved between 200 and 300 people. They did an incredible job, and the support we got from the outside was tremendous."

Roccaforte said nearly all of Bridge City sustained some form of water damage.

"Imagine looking at Lake Sabine from the air and all you see is roof tops sticking out of the water," he said. "That's what it looked like on Saturday in many of these neighborhoods. It's safe to say 99 percent of the homes had some kind of water damage. I doubt there are 20 homes in Bridge City which didn't have water damage."

Roccaforte said citizens are able to bring spoiled food items to the Community Center on West Roundbunch. No refrigerators are being accepted and spoiled food will not be collected if placed on curbside.

In reference to deaths, what would be the point of a cover up or not disclosing the information?

The rumors are just that, rumors. Working in emergency managment, I have heard of no reports of deaths. This is just the kind of statements that go around when people start speculating. There is always the possibilty of deaths from this storm but the mass deaths being reported seems to be nonsense.

Guys, that's why I asked during the storm...Please post proof of what you know, don't post what you heard.

From the LC-M CISD website:

Little Cypress-Mauriceville Administrators have received information from the City of Orange that due to uncertainties with getting the sewer system back up, it would be best not to bring LCM staff back to work until Monday, September 22. 

No one should put themselves in harm’s way, so if you have extenuating circumstances that prevent your return, please contact your principal or director to make them aware of your situation.

MY MOTHER-IN-LAW RECEIVED A CALL FROM ALL STATE SAYING THEY WERE NOT GOING TO PAY A DIME FOR HER FLOODED HOUSE STATING THAT IT WAS DUE TO "BAY SEEPAGE." WHEN SHE ASKED THE LADY HOW A 5-8FT TIDAL SURGE COULD BE SEEPAGE THE LADY STATED THAT SHE DIDN'T HAVE INSURANCE DURING KATRINA AND THAT FEMA PAID FOR HER HOUSE.  SHE THEN STATED THAT MY MOM IN LAW WOULD BE RECEIVING A DENIAL LETTER AND TO TAKE IT TO FEMA.  CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW BRIDGE CITY FLOOD VICTIMS ARE BEING TREATED.  I AM SCARED MY INSURANCE WILL SAY THE SAME THING.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?

MY MOTHER-IN-LAW RECEIVED A CALL FROM ALL STATE SAYING THEY WERE NOT GOING TO PAY A DIME FOR HER FLOODED HOUSE STATING THAT IT WAS DUE TO "BAY SEEPAGE." WHEN SHE ASKED THE LADY HOW A 5-8FT TIDAL SURGE COULD BE SEEPAGE THE LADY STATED THAT SHE DIDN'T HAVE INSURANCE DURING KATRINA AND THAT FEMA PAID FOR HER HOUSE.  SHE THEN STATED THAT MY MOM IN LAW WOULD BE RECEIVING A DENIAL LETTER AND TO TAKE IT TO FEMA.  CAN YOU BELIEVE HOW BRIDGE CITY FLOOD VICTIMS ARE BEING TREATED.  I AM SCARED MY INSURANCE WILL SAY THE SAME THING.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?

Be nice till u r %100 sure ur denied (as in getting the letter). Then get REAL UGLY write national media write governor...try to get national media attention...make sure it covers local media...if nothing else make the place go under for treating people like that. I don't understand how they can sleep at night. I guarantee you when its your turn to pay up the money is there, now its their turn and look at the *%#$ they pull. *insert flurry of choice words here*

Guest Pirate V Ball

www.kogt.com

School Updates 9-17-08

WOCCISD - Supt. Taylor Collins said he's wanting to begin school on Monday but doesn't know if he'll have enough faculty and bus drivers.  He reported that North Early Learning Ctr. received the most water damage, but that the high school and Oates already have power.  Those students will be transferred to other campuses.

LCMCISD- Supt. Pauline Hargrove said the LCM schools received little damage and that they are ready to open but the city hasn't given the all-clear on the sewage system.  She expects school to resume sometime next week with an answer coming soon.

BCISD- Supt. Jamey Harrison said the high school didn't have water in it.  The middle school and intermediate had about 2-3", Hatton had about 2' and Sims had 4' of water.  Harrison is hopeful that students will be able to return in three weeks.  Stay tuned for a faculty hotline phone number.

OFISD- Supt. Phillip Welch said the Bobcat schools fared well with no structural damage.  He said the return date for school will depend more on faculty members returning because many live in BC and other places that received heavier damage but he's hoping for sometime next week.

DeweyvilleISD- Supt. Rick Summers said the Pirates were fortunate not to receive any serious damage.  Faculty will have a workday Monday.  He said a start date will be determined when power is restored to all campuses.

St. Mary- Principal Frances Droddy reports the school received little damage and like LCM, they are waiting on utilities to be in order before determining a start date but she's also looking at resuming next week.

VidorISD- We have been unable to contact Supt. Willie Hays.

Here is what I don't understand. The area is still under mandatory evac. Yet, daily people return to the area, you hear stories of how cities are having a hard time getting things up and running because the systems are still running without power and for you to stay out. So, why are they allowing people to come in. After Rita they allowed nobody in until it was safe to do so. Why is this time different? With water still standing in some areas there are greater risk of disease, with water not being cleared as drinkable and useable yet, there are health risk. Why is this a "better" storm then Rita. People complaining because they can't get help, I think we were told to leave and last I checked we have not been given the all clear to go back, if you decided to stay you were told you would be without services and to be able to live on your own for 10 days. We are only in day five. So...is there a bigger problem occurring because people are allowed to go back to their homes?

Here is what I don't understand. The area is still under mandatory evac. Yet, daily people return to the area, you hear stories of how cities are having a hard time getting things up and running because the systems are still running without power and for you to stay out. So, why are they allowing people to come in. After Rita they allowed nobody in until it was safe to do so. Why is this time different? With water still standing in some areas there are greater risk of disease, with water not being cleared as drinkable and useable yet, there are health risk. Why is this a "better" storm then Rita. People complaining because they can't get help, I think we were told to leave and last I checked we have not been given the all clear to go back, if you decided to stay you were told you would be without services and to be able to live on your own for 10 days. We are only in day five. So...is there a bigger problem occurring because people are allowed to go back to their homes?

In my most humble opinion the problem is bigger because people are coming back in.  My husband is one of the ones that had to stay because he works for one of the cities.  He has called me time and time again complaining because they are being hindered due to the people coming back in.  He works for one of the lesser-affected cities, but they are still without power and still have clean up to do.  I can only imagine how Bridge City and Orange workers must be frustrated!!!  I certainly cant understand by WO is wanting school to start on Monday when we are still under mandatory evac.  My kids wont be there!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder