4A State Semifinals #6 Silsbee vs #3 Canyon Randall Predictions

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I agree.

Washington and Carter are better than Randall and Stafford.

This will be Coach Sigler's 5th trip to state if im not mistaken. God bless him. I remember in his early years in Silsbee, we had some solid teams but could never seem to best Lincoln in the playoff besides once with a lost to Santa Fe a few rounds later. 

1 hour ago, Who That said:

My bad I" meant in 4A..

Shaq scored that 38 in the semis vs Hearne my senior year of HS.  At that time Cole was 3A (but would be 4A now since 5A was the biggest classification then).  Interestingly, the big guy only scored 19 in the championship game, while Clarksville’s big man Tyrone Washington scored 29 on O’Neal (Washington was “only” 6’6”).  Of course, Shaq did have 26 rebounds in that game.  Clarksville played Cole to the wire that day too. 

That was also BJ Tyler’s senior year and he led Lincoln to the 4A title.  Shaq was also a senior, albeit only 17.  He didn’t turn 18 until the end of his freshman season at LSU. 

1 hour ago, TexasBoy89 said:

Carter also broke 100 that game

Those championship games in 17 and 18 were outstanding.  Offensive powerhouses going at each other.

But of all 6 of the San Antonio games the Bush, Adams, McCain era team played the one that stands out the most to me is still the 2017 semi against Argyle.  It figured that the Tigers would be taken completely out of their own game and forced to play at Argyles tempo.  Argyle's 5 playoff wins leading up to that game they scored 50, 55, 59, 47, and 53.  By contrast the Tigers had scored 105, 98, 124, 93 and 94.  Only three minutes or so into the first quarter it was apparent that Argyle and not Silsbee would be setting the tempo.  Methodical doesn't even start to describe it.  If there's an art to getting back on defense then the Eagles were the masters.  There were were simply no open lanes to the basket.  Yet somehow the Tigers rose to the occasion.  That one point win, scoring only 46, coming within a razors edge of losing, was perhaps the moment most indicative of the character of that team.   

35 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Those championship games in 17 and 18 were outstanding.  Offensive powerhouses going at each other.

But of all 6 of the San Antonio games the Bush, Adams, McCain era team played the one that stands out the most to me is still the 2017 semi against Argyle.  It figured that the Tigers would be taken completely out of their own game and forced to play at Argyles tempo.  Argyle's 5 playoff wins leading up to that game they scored 50, 55, 59, 47, and 53.  By contrast the Tigers had scored 105, 98, 124, 93 and 94.  Only three minutes or so into the first quarter it was apparent that Argyle and not Silsbee would be setting the tempo.  Methodical doesn't even start to describe it.  If there's an art to getting back on defense then the Eagles were the masters.  There were were simply no open lanes to the basket.  Yet somehow the Tigers rose to the occasion.  That one point win, scoring only 46, coming within a razors edge of losing, was perhaps the moment most indicative of the character of that team.   

I’m still clinching from when the Argyle player took the shot at the buzzer to tie it 

1 hour ago, JimThorpe said:

The thing is, Silsbee already had experience playing Argyle. Played them in Whataburger tourney two straight years and beat them each time in low scoring affair.

Silsbee is 3-0 vs. Argyle.

But, it's those type teams that worry me the most when playing Silsbee. The Yates, Washingtons and Carters of the world don't scare me when it comes to the Tigers. They do what Silsbee likes to do.

In 2019 regional final, Silsbee was defeating Yates until Yates head coach Greg Wise chose to slow the game down to take advantage of his teams size. When Greg Wise decides to "slow it down", that says all you need to know.

If Silsbee faces Faith Family in finals, you can bet FF will try to slow the pace to take advantage of their size.

Randall is missing a Senior starter from last years state lineup. I watched Randall a few days ago and player Zak Bol was on the bench. Zak Bol was 1 of only 5 players that scored agianst FF last year. I believe he had knee surgery in January. Not sure how this affected the starting line up mid season for Randall.

2 hours ago, Tiger05 said:

Randall is missing a Senior starter from last years state lineup. I watched Randall a few days ago and player Zak Bol was on the bench. Zak Bol was 1 of only 5 players that scored agianst FF last year. I believe he had knee surgery in January. Not sure how this affected the starting line up mid season for Randall.

Where they playing Hereford ..? 😂🤣

Interesting thing to consider.  I believe this group of seniors is 7 and 1 against District 21-4A in playoff games during their 4 years.  What's that like?  They're like the villagers who have to go down to the stream to for water. 

"What's that over there?  I thought I saw something move in the tall grass at the edge of the forest.  OH NO!  IT'S A TIGER!"

Outside of when these kids were freshman during COVID-19 and had to miss games, I dont think thry ever lost a district game. I think that year Silsbee lost to Vidor and Lumberton while only playing 2 varsity players. The JV team played those games. Im going to guess but I think their Silsbee district record over the last 4 years is something like 44-2. 

21 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Outside of when these kids were freshman during COVID-19 and had to miss games, I dont think thry ever lost a district game. I think that year Silsbee lost to Vidor and Lumberton while only playing 2 varsity players. The JV team played those games. Im going to guess but I think their Silsbee district record over the last 4 years is something like 44-2. 

They went 9-3 in district their freshmen year (2021). Lost to LC-M and Vidor because JV had to play those games due to Covid protocol and then lost to Lumberton coming out of the protocol. 4 year district record is 45-3. They have won 39 straight district games.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

They went 9-3 in district their freshmen year (2021). Lost to LC-M and Vidor because JV had to play those games due to Covid protocol and then lost to Lumberton coming out of the protocol. 4 year district record is 45-3. They have won 39 straight district games.

What was the record for the Adams and McCain? Over 4 years outside of the LCM brawl, I dont think they lost a game. Even that game i think was awarded to Silsbee 2-0. 

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

What was the record for the Adams and McCain? Over 4 years outside of the LCM brawl, I dont think they lost a game. Even that game i think was awarded to Silsbee 2-0. 

Adams and McCain were 44-0 in district play on the court. Officially 43-1 due to forfeit that both teams (LC-M and Silsbee) received for that game.

Since the 2015 season (last 10 seasons) Silsbee has a overall district record (on the court) of 111-5 with 2 of those losses due to JV having to play. Theoretically the Tigers should be 113-3 with one loss to Lumberton in 2021 and two losses to Hardin-Jefferson in 2015 and 2020. Silsbee split with HJ those two years and ended up beating them each time in #1 seed game.

10 years of district dominance.

26 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Silsbee by 14 over Canyon and maybe a miracle vs FF. 

It's an upset to be sure but I don't think it would be a miracle.  If Silsbee can stay out of foul trouble and stay close in the first half then a momentum thing could propel them to victory.  The same is true for Randall except they have perhaps even more motivation to make it happen this year because of the health issues with their coach.  And lord in heaven wouldn't it be sweet for one of us to deny FF in it's last shot at a 4A championship.  

The UIL got off its duff and finally did something about this aberration and it's going away.  But it's happening one year to late for the seniors at Silsbee and Randall and Stafford and Carter.  In light of the UIL's acknowledgement of it's blunder I would commission a trophy to be made and placed in the case and a flag to be made and hung in the gym at Silsbee HIgh that reads.  "2022 AAAA Provisional State Champions."  And Randall should do the same for 2023.  And the winner of Friday's game along with Stafford  should do the same this year.  By moving FF up to 5A when the high school is really a modest 4A in student population the UIL is tacitly confessing that it SCREWED UP.  How does Notre Dame with a student population of less than 9000 compete with giant schools with over 50,000?  The answer is obvious.  When it comes to recruiting the size of the school doesn't matter.  All that matter is it's prestige in the particular sport.

The link has probably been posted before but it still makes for interesting reading, especially in light of the realignment.

This is the hidden content, please

I grant that Yates would have won state 2020 with that phenomenal team.  But Argyle 2021 is not an argument.  They were already a 5A school in 2021 and it was formalized in the 2022 realignment.  

And you know what's really galling?  What's galling is listening to those announcers on NFHS calling an OCFF game pretending that everything is kosher when they KNOW it's not.  They should voice a disclaimer several times during the game.  Something like, "You know Bill, the UIL has made the unprecedented action of moving Faith Family, a 4A team up, to 5A despite the fact that it's student population is in the middle of the 4A pack."

And I question whether or not it's going to work.  The same thing might happen in 5A.  In fact it should happen.  They already schedule a preseason that's as tough as any 6A school in Texas.  This year's was particularly brutal, hence the low winning percentage.  And it's already been proven that the size of Oak Cliff Faith Family's student population has little or nothing to do with it's basketball prowess.   Anyway, it's not Silsbee's problem any more.  It's United's problem now.  

Faith should have been in 6A like the Jesuit schools are in football. When this class was making their way to high school, I predicted a few trips to state, but them not having the firepower to beat FF. If we beat Randall, I'm afraid that prediction will be proven true.

Silsbee was going toe to toe with them last time they played. FF made two big 3s at the end of the third and Silsbee couldn't catch up. All we can do is give ourselves a chance. It is what it is 🤷‍♂️

If it makes Tigers fan feel any better, Dallas Kimball is 4A now. That might not matter since it may be a bit before Silsbee has a serious chance at another ring.