Nederland is open, Barrow Resigns

1 hour ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Right - this is something I think needs to be underlined. Joseph inherited a healthy program with kids who had won several key games and had had a deep-ish playoff run. He didn’t have to “rebuild” so much as “redirect.” It sounds like Nederland will need to do something closer to a true rebuild.

That’s going to be key in how people evaluate the new guy. If the standard is “do exactly what png did and go straight to state,” that’s probably not going to work, because Faircloth left PNG in a state that is ahead of schedule relative to where Nederland is.

But, I don’t think we’re talking a several year rebuild. I think Nederland just needs to get kids back , get more kids in, hit the weight room better and structure themselves to go toe-to-toe with the power and conditioning of elite programs. They aren’t far off - If Nederland had 1% improvements across every category of improvement, they become an entirely different team.

A lot of Nedeand’s woes amount to just being left behind, not so much getting worse . The last two years, Barrow would probably have gone at least 1-1 against PNG if Faircloth had stayed the coach, because Faircloth built his teams the way Barrow does - Poor conditioning, low strength training, no attention to defense, and just hope you win by two points in a shootout. Joseph doesn’t do that, and he showed that there‘a a recipe for the mid county schools to compete at the highest level. Nederland can do it too, but given the current state of the program it might take a year or two to really see the results. But it could also be immediate, as we’ve seen. 

That's why I said it all depends on how systemic the bad is.  Under normal circumstances you usually give a coach 1 year to install his system.  Second year should show marked improvement.  Third year should start competing for a Title.  But, like you have stated, it all depends how deep the bad is as to how long it'll take.  

On 1/16/2024 at 1:44 PM, SmashMouth said:

You're a silly man. How many moons are in your world?

What specifically am I wrong about!? Go check them out at camp fun, or walk the hallways during transition an tell me I'm wrong. Some people have no clue on what it takes to win at the level PNG is winning right now. Can Nederland improve from how awful they've been the last few years? Yes, but they WILL NOT make deep runs in the playoffs with the kids they have up front!! Smh, people acting like Nederland is a coach away from going to State haha what a joke. Until Nederland emphasize kids to be multi sport athletes, Skill positions running Track and Lineman participating in Powerlifting as well as get some quality Big kids moving in to the school instead of kids who can't speak English then they will have a HUGE hurdle/hurdles to get over.

9 minutes ago, NHS409 said:

What specifically am I wrong about!? Go check them out at camp fun, or walk the hallways during transition an tell me I'm wrong. Some people have no clue on what it takes to win at the level PNG is winning right now. Can Nederland improve from how awful they've been the last few years? Yes, but they WILL NOT make deep runs in the playoffs with the kids they have up front!! Smh, people acting like Nederland is a coach away from going to State haha what a joke. Until Nederland emphasize kids to be multi sport athletes, Skill positions running Track and Lineman participating in Powerlifting as well as get some quality Big kids moving in to the school instead of kids who can't speak English then they will have a HUGE hurdle/hurdles to get over.

I concur, the Jimmy's and Joe's were not there last year. Especially in the trenches. Here's to hoping a new staff can reignite the fire, and draw kids to the program. Injuns have a good crop of kids at the moment, and the coaching as well. 

8 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Right - this is something I think needs to be underlined. Joseph inherited a healthy program with kids who had won several key games and had had a deep-ish playoff run. He didn’t have to “rebuild” so much as “redirect.” It sounds like Nederland will need to do something closer to a true rebuild.

That’s going to be key in how people evaluate the new guy. If the standard is “do exactly what png did and go straight to state,” that’s probably not going to work, because Faircloth left PNG in a state that is ahead of schedule relative to where Nederland is.

But, I don’t think we’re talking a several year rebuild. I think Nederland just needs to get kids back , get more kids in, hit the weight room better and structure themselves to go toe-to-toe with the power and conditioning of elite programs. They aren’t far off - If Nederland had 1% improvements across every category of improvement, they become an entirely different team.

A lot of Nedeand’s woes amount to just being left behind, not so much getting worse . The last two years, Barrow would probably have gone at least 1-1 against PNG if Faircloth had stayed the coach, because Faircloth built his teams the way Barrow does - Poor conditioning, low strength training, no attention to defense, and just hope you win by two points in a shootout. Joseph doesn’t do that, and he showed that there‘a a recipe for the mid county schools to compete at the highest level. Nederland can do it too, but given the current state of the program it might take a year or two to really see the results. But it could also be immediate, as we’ve seen. 

True statements, but Nederland aren't really missing any kids that can truly help, maybe two or three that won't make a huge difference in outcomes of the game. There may be some Dads in here who kids aren't playing that feel a type of way, but the talent pool just isn't there. They're some Basketball players that could help right away, but they only play Basketball, which I hear is encouraged by the Head BB Coach! The AD will have to change that and emphasize to ALL coaches that he wants his athletic program having multi-sport athletes as a requirement. Something Barrow didn't really harp on. I do believe a 180 degree change in culture, and getting out of the prehistoric ways of athletics is concerned can/will change things. But it will take about 4-5 years or maybe longer for a long run in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, NHS409 said:

What’s up with this kids who can’t speak English statement, YOU KEEP ending your last two posts with this statement.  Ever tried learning their language.  Maybe you should you wouldn’t be upset about it.  No one is asking for a miracle overnight, as for skill positions running track, why, that coach needs to go to if you ask me, he will not let them participate in individual events.  I can go on but, anyway, let’s wait to see what changes will happen!! Oh and camp fun needs some changes too, but that will come with new staff I guarantee that will definitely change.

Edited by NHSBulldogs2

10 minutes ago, NHSBulldogs2 said:

What’s up with this kids who can’t speak English statement, YOU KEEP ending your last two posts with this statement.  Ever tried learning their language.  Maybe you should you wouldn’t be up set about it.  No one is asking for a miracle overnight, as for skill positions running track, why, that coach needs to go to if you ask me, he will not let them participate in individual events.  I can go on but, anyway, let’s wait to she what changes will happen!! Oh and camp fun needs some changes too, but that will come with new staff I guarantee that will definitely change.

Camp fun is soft now compared to what it used to be. 

10 hours ago, NHS409 said:

You are wrong about so many things. Let me list a few:

You sound like a racist and a bigot

You are the one who has no clue on what it takes to have a successful football program (spoiler alert: it starts with the coach)

People like you are the ones that complain and gripe and are just as detrimental to a football program as anything else

I'm going to stop there... Plenty more to list with the more posts you make though...

10 hours ago, NHS409 said:

You are right on. Amen 

14 hours ago, NHS409 said:

True statements, but Nederland aren't really missing any kids that can truly help, maybe two or three that won't make a huge difference in outcomes of the game. There may be some Dads in here who kids aren't playing that feel a type of way, but the talent pool just isn't there. They're some Basketball players that could help right away, but they only play Basketball, which I hear is encouraged by the Head BB Coach! The AD will have to change that and emphasize to ALL coaches that he wants his athletic program having multi-sport athletes as a requirement. Something Barrow didn't really harp on. I do believe a 180 degree change in culture, and getting out of the prehistoric ways of athletics is concerned can/will change things. But it will take about 4-5 years or maybe longer for a long run in the playoffs.

I don’t think it will take 4-5 years. I’m thinking 2-3 or 3-4 at most, and it could be faster. I don’t think it will be as quick a turnaround as PNG (so, not a one-year transformation) for all the reasons I’ve said. It depends on who they hire. A great coach can defeat all our expectations. I won’t be surprised if Nederland finishes in 3rd in district next year and makes it to at least the second round. 

13 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I don’t think it will take 4-5 years. I’m thinking 2-3 or 3-4 at most, and it could be faster. I don’t think it will be as quick a turnaround as PNG (so, not a one-year transformation) for all the reasons I’ve said. It depends on who they hire. A great coach can defeat all our expectations. I won’t be surprised if Nederland finishes in 3rd in district next year and makes it to at least the second round. 

So close to where they were this year? I mean like I said its not like the program is bottomed out.

59 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

So close to where they were this year? I mean like I said it’s not like the program is bottomed out.

I don’t think the bottom has fallen out. The biggest danger for Nederland has been being mediocre and/or bad for so long that it becomes the standard. But, looking at this year, if Nederland goes from 2023 to being able to get past the first round (as compared to a 56-6 beat down), we’re talking a massive improvement. Not even close to this year, even if the on-paper record is similar. 

1 hour ago, CS. said:

Rumblings that they are looking to go the way of Liberty Hill and bring a little Mafia to the Dog Pound?  Any truth to these rumors?

If that happens, Steve DeRouen, Larry Neumann, Monte Barrow, and 3/4 of the town of Nederland will have heart attacks.  That would answer the question about Todd Dodge having no role in the recommendation of candidates.  Nederland could save money on moving expenses for the new coach...just hire Vidor's old coach, Jeff Matthews.  I would be shocked if Nederland went Slot-T.

11 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Wall just got rid of Houston Guy with a impressive coaching record with one state championship run. Its a small school but hes a good coach

We need to first have the question answered as to why they relieved him of his duties.  

1 minute ago, PhatMack19 said:

No way, but the meltdown would be glorious if that happened.  

Not sure if I trust this source but he usually knows a lot of "insider" types.  Cited the smaller O-line as a reason to go that direction.

1 hour ago, CS. said:

Rumblings that they are looking to go the way of Liberty Hill and bring a little Mafia to the Dog Pound?  Any truth to these rumors?

The ONLY way this would make any sense is if the Liberty Hill HC, or former Liberty Hill HC (Jerry Vance), or the Bellville HC applied.  Even with that being said -- I'm not sure that's the route I'd want to go.  

21 minutes ago, 1989NDN said:

If that happens, Steve DeRouen, Larry Neumann, Monte Barrow, and 3/4 of the town of Nederland will have heart attacks.  That would answer the question about Todd Dodge having no role in the recommendation of candidates.  Nederland could save money on moving expenses for the new coach...just hire Vidor's old coach, Jeff Matthews.  I would be shocked if Nederland went Slot-T.

One of these things is not like the other...it wouldn't shock me seeing the offensive personnel we currently have