Hemphill is open

AggiesAreWe

42 minutes ago, TXHORN_ET said:

Wonder if this will be filled by a former Hemphill head coach?

I don't think so... pretty sure that ship has sailed..  but if they did and it is the coach that I think your talking about he is well beyond retirement age and would be unlikely to go for more than a few years.  IMO that move just prolongs the never ending carousel of changing ADs in Hemphill.   They reassigned a guy that had staying power and a winning record on the hopes of bringing in a AD that has been retired for more than 10 years.  Great guy and a once great coach but we all know how much things have changed over the past 10 years.  Kids, parents, admin, and boards are much different.  Plus he is the winningest HFC in the history of HISD.  He is not going to have that kind of success this go around.  It's nowhere near the same kind of kids, athletes, admin, or community.  I'd hate to see him come back and tarnish his past success at HISD for a few years of what I believe will be heartache.  I don't believe it's a good move for him personally or professionally and I believe it's not the answer for HISD.  Eventually, as a board and administration, you are going to have to try and find a young, yet proven, guy to come in and take the reigns and as a board and administration you need to hand him the keys to the car and unless he is violating some sort of policy or rule you let him run the athletics dept as he sees fit and he's gonna need more than the usual 2 to 3 years to establish the new program and culture.  

1 hour ago, UncleSi said:

I don't think so... pretty sure that ship has sailed..  but if they did and it is the coach that I think your talking about he is well beyond retirement age and would be unlikely to go for more than a few years.  IMO that move just prolongs the never ending carousel of changing ADs in Hemphill.   They reassigned a guy that had staying power and a winning record on the hopes of bringing in a AD that has been retired for more than 10 years.  Great guy and a once great coach but we all know how much things have changed over the past 10 years.  Kids, parents, admin, and boards are much different.  Plus he is the winningest HFC in the history of HISD.  He is not going to have that kind of success this go around.  It's nowhere near the same kind of kids, athletes, admin, or community.  I'd hate to see him come back and tarnish his past success at HISD for a few years of what I believe will be heartache.  I don't believe it's a good move for him personally or professionally and I believe it's not the answer for HISD.  Eventually, as a board and administration, you are going to have to try and find a young, yet proven, guy to come in and take the reigns and as a board and administration you need to hand him the keys to the car and unless he is violating some sort of policy or rule you let him run the athletics dept as he sees fit and he's gonna need more than the usual 2 to 3 years to establish the new program and culture.  

I thought Stark had done a pretty good job at Hemphill. Was that not the sentiment of the community? 

Just now, 2wedge said:

I thought Stark had done a pretty good job at Hemphill. Was that not the sentiment of the community? 

It’s definitely my opinion stark is a good Coach. Stark may have wanted to leave I don’t know. Coaching is a tough business sometimes. I agree somewhat with UncleSi it would be nice to have a young coach to grow with. But at the end of the day most people only look at the win loss as judgement. Not the Talent on the Field also. If Upshaw is the replacement it’s obvious this would be a short term solution. But maybe that’s what Hemphills needing Till they can find a replacement for Stark. Anyway I don’t know who we will end up with. But as far as Stark he’s done a good job Coaching on field and off the field life lessons to young Hemphill youth. I wish him the best.

1 hour ago, pine curtain said:

I heard Tod was not happy at Hemphill.

Hemphill dropping down to 2A I will make them competitive in that district.

Depends on what the district layout is.  If they move into West Sabines spot in their current district then they will be in an overall tougher district.

1 hour ago, pine curtain said:

Timpson lost a lot

Garrison will be the favorite in that district but I think they were senior heavy.

Hemphill should be able to match up with the others better than the district they were in.

Garrison is going to be loaded for a while. San Augustine will be battling them for the District Championship for the next few years. SA and Garrison will be untouchable for the rest of the district unless one of the other teams get some spectacular "moveins". 

2 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Garrison is going to be loaded for a while. San Augustine will be battling them for the District Championship for the next few years. SA and Garrison will be untouchable for the rest of the district unless one of the other teams get some spectacular "moveins". 

Agree..  but I think Timpson will still be contenders for the district.  They did lose a lot but they still have some remarkable young athletes.  I do think Garrison wins the district but it won't be a cake walk due to Timpson and SA.  I don't think next year's Hemphill team will be able to hang with any of these teams.

So whats the truth here?  Hemphill reassigned Stark, or both parties mutually parted ways, or Stark is packing his bags and moving on his own choice?  I remember a few years ago, another school ran off Tod Stark, or was that the truth?  Who knows anymore!  Either way, he had a pretty good 3 seasons at the helm in Hemphill.

• 5 weeks later...