PNG vs SOC State Championship Game Thread/Post updates here

Reagan

Who wins?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Port Neches-Groves
    • South Oak Cliff

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2023 at 05:00 PM

Just finished watching the taped version.   Great game on all accounts.  Players coaches fans.  When I first started watching I said no way PNG can beat these guys.  Y’all hung in there.  Great calls and great plays by Nguyen and many others.  Congratulations PNG y’all won State SE Texas style.   Grit and Heart.  👍

13 minutes ago, outanup said:

Strange how you can read one jersey and helmet so clearly but not the other....Yet the pic you just posted is very clear.....Nike stripe on glove?

Not my pics. You really trying to take the photoshop route on a pic of PI that is a screen grab from a TV? Be better. The nike stripe is on an offensive lineman. Not the DB that committed the PI. 

A true champion shows their true colors during a loss.  SOC, South Dallas, and SOC supporters have shown their self today.  Taking one play out of 4 quarters of football and blaming that on the loss.  Trying to take away what PNG accomplished today.  Let's not talk about all the no calls on the SOC secondary.  The drive prior to when it was blatant PI in the end zone and nothing was called.  When Reid Richard is running down the sideline and gets tackled before the ball even gets there, no flag.  Blaming the whole game on one call is a loser mentality and lack of accountability.  PNG was the better team today.  

Edited by WOSdrummer99
Language

Did anyone else see SOC defenders all wear purple gloves so they can blend in with our jerseys so they could get away with holding. Especially #2 with the purple sleeves.  They had light blue gloves last week against Emerson. But we're being called cheaters and have an asterisk because the refs gave us the title

15 minutes ago, Davidp0403 said:

Did anyone else see SOC defenders all wear purple gloves so they can blend in with our jerseys so they could get away with holding. Especially #2 with the purple sleeves.  They had light blue gloves last week against Emerson. But we're being called cheaters and have an asterisk because the refs gave us the title

🎯

I want to say congrats to PNG on winning the state title. I, like so many others thought that was a terrible PI call. All the replays they showed during the game showed both players going up for the ball with absolutely no interference on the play. I know we have bad calls here and there, but game changers like this are tough to get over. During the Duncanville/Galena Park game, they showed highlights from the PNG game. It showed the PI play from a field angle that showed the entire route the PNG player ran. As he entered the end zone and made his turn to the ball, the defender was holding his arm and jersey. Why this particular replay was not shown during the game is beyond me. It was definitely PI and a good call. I hope PNG fans can understand why people like me were misled.

Anyway, it made me feel better and PNG’s victory is a great one over SOC going for a 3-peat. PNG represents our district, area, and region, and we should all be very proud for them.

Once again TY all for supporting us. I had the ability to see the play I was sitting just a few yards from it. The player grabbed our player and held him to keep in from running his route. SOC wore purple glove to prevent holding calls. Smart I guess. Not my type of thing, but I guess smart nonetheless. The refs were not a factor in this game. There was no more missed or extra calls than in any normal game. I thought they stayed out as much as possible. Met some great PAM people in our hotel who drove up to watch us play. A man from Northshore gave me a hug after the game and told us that he was proud that we brought a trophy back for US all of us in SETX. This is for SETX. Ofcourse its another trophy for PNG and I am proud of our boys, coaches, band, drill team, school, and ofcourse the Phillips family. The man from Northshore made me realize that when you win it represents your district, and your area. I didnt think about this whole Houston vs Dallas thing. Anyways again TY all. WOS you guys carried the torch so much in recent history. I hope we did a good job for all of SETX while you others finish what you started. There are several SETX teams that are close. I hope your time is next season. PNG has a ton back next season. Maybe we can make a decent run next season as well. 

8 hours ago, FearTheSpear said:

A true champion shows their true colors during a loss.  SOC, South Dallas, and SOC supporters have shown their asses today.  Taking one play out of 4 quarters of football and blaming that on the loss.  Trying to take away what PNG accomplished today.  Let's not talk about all the no calls on the SOC secondary.  The drive prior to when it was blatant PI in the end zone and nothing was called.  When Reid Richard is running down the sideline and gets tackled before the ball even gets there, no flag.  Blaming the whole game on one call is a loser mentality and lack of accountability.  PNG was the better team today.  

There were so many non calls, holding, face mask, push in the back, PI. Then towards the end of the game, suddenly it seemed, flags began flying. I wish the refs would've stopped all that stuff earlier, although they did finally call the hit to the head on #2. Always seems like there's a #2 on these types of teams. 

On 12/9/2023 at 6:46 PM, Coach_Izzy said:

If PNG can stop the run and force SOC to pass it they have a shot. I haven't seen much from SOC in the passing game, however from a personnel standpoint they are severely outmatched at just about every position on the field.

PNG O Line was not outmatched. Gave QB Bailey (also not outmatched) time to throw and opened enough holes for Nguyen to get down field. SOC big goal line package was stout. SOC DBs were fast, but we exploited that D over the middle with their LBs playing so close to the line. 
PNG D Line and LBs adjusted in second half and stopped the run. Forced the pass and you were right, we put pressure on QB and changed the game. 
Green was great but Bears staff were stupid not to throw some swing passes or screens to him. One on one he was trouble but they never worked to get him one on one. 

PNG Indians 2023 5A DII State Champions

LEGENDARY

1 hour ago, prepballfan said:

Once again TY all for supporting us. I had the ability to see the play I was sitting just a few yards from it. The player grabbed our player and held him to keep in from running his route. SOC wore purple glove to prevent holding calls. Smart I guess. Not my type of thing, but I guess smart nonetheless. The refs were not a factor in this game. There was no more missed or extra calls than in any normal game. I thought they stayed out as much as possible. Met some great PAM people in our hotel who drove up to watch us play. A man from Northshore gave me a hug after the game and told us that he was proud that we brought a trophy back for US all of us in SETX. This is for SETX. Ofcourse its another trophy for PNG and I am proud of our boys, coaches, band, drill team, school, and ofcourse the Phillips family. The man from Northshore made me realize that when you win it represents your district, and your area. I didnt think about this whole Houston vs Dallas thing. Anyways again TY all. WOS you guys carried the torch so much in recent history. I hope we did a good job for all of SETX while you others finish what you started. There are several SETX teams that are close. I hope your time is next season. PNG has a ton back next season. Maybe we can make a decent run next season as well. 

Even though PNG is like 90 miles or so from Houston realizing this or not but not only yall played for SETX but yall played for the Houston area as well and not too many people will get that but the way yall represented yalls team like yall did and especially the fans they had no choice but to group yall with the Houston area so it was pretty obvious from the start but once I'm so proud of what you guys did yesterday and I hope this will be the start of a run here.  (Except when you guys do play Huntsville again I have to roll with them since I work for the school district 😆)