Montgomery Lake Creek (53) @ Nederland (6) - FINAL

jdawg03

10 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

It would be funny to bring that old post back when Barrow got the job on here… ( if someone can find it) on who applied and see how they have done… there’s a lot of people that wanted Barrow to get the job back then now have changed there mind I see. Lol I guess the narratives have changed. 

I for one wanted Chad Simmons to get the job from get go, it came down to him and Monte for it…I’m guessing people are finally taking those bulldogs glasses off. 

Just filter to most replied and it’s up there at the top. Kinda fun to go back and read all those comments. For sure got some guys who have 180’ed!

3 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

Purple and gold might as well be Mid County Krewe.. Mardi Gras themed mascot and school. Or go ahead and be Mid-County Golf Carts. 

I think it’s a shame there isn’t a Cajun/Mardi Gras themed team around here. If png ever changes mascots, I’d want us to be the Cajuns with Mardi Gras colors for the uniforms. It would be a party

22 hours ago, KF89 said:

Come on man, you know the good ole boy brotherhood roots are too deep at NISD to change anything in anyway positive. It's like a "Nederland Mafia" you would have to get rid of the head of each of the 5 families. Then get half the school Administrators, half the school board & half of city council to quit their positions... Until a Michael Corloene guy comes around to clear out all the shady, biased & corrupt activities going on, business will go on at NISD like it has since 1967😁      

I do like your analogy.  But I think the people of Nederland could do something about it by pressuring the administration.  That is unless we've become so complaisant that we think mediocrity's the norm.  Or, that this HC was part of the recent success Nederland had and so people think that it can't be this HC as the problem.  So, then, it must the the kids.  Although kids never appear to be the problem at PNG.  Again, pressure is going to have to come from Ned's taxpayers.  Otherwise we'll be, again, sitting in the stands watching PNG have all the fun.  

21 hours ago, Coach_Izzy said:

Maybe I’m crazy but I always wonder why wouldn’t PNG & NED combine schools & make one big 6A it would put them around 3k students (if the numbers I googled are correct) and def would probably be a big help for athletics 

I think Nederland has the athletes to compete in the classification they are required to compete in.  PNG seems to not have a problem.  If Ned had PNG's coaching staff we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.  Thoughts?!

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

I think Nederland has the athletes to compete in the classification they are required to compete in.  PNG seems to not have a problem.  If Ned had PNG's coaching staff we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.  Thoughts?!

I have no doubt whatsoever that Nederland could be just as good as PnG with an equal coaching staff. That’s what PNG’s experiment shows - Success at this level isn’t genetic. It’s not about just “having a good crop of boys this year.” It’s coached, created, engineered, taught.  The encouraging thing is it doesn’t have to take a long time. Nederland seems to have replaced Neuman with a “rah rah” coaching staff hoping their boys will simply out-gumption the other team. This year especially, the lack of teaching is obvious. A new coaching staff could come in and say, “Every single thing you’re doing now, we’re going to do differently.” A year from now we could be talking about a completely transformed, terrifying Nederland team. Granted, PNG’s current staff inherited a solid, well-coached, enthusiastic Faircloth team and built from there. Nederland might need to get some kids back into the program, but once that happens there’s no reason a great coach can’t make it all work. There’s no difference between the PNG and Nederland players - Half of them were probably born in the same hospital. This is all the result of deliberate coaching choices. 

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

I do like your analogy.  But I think the people of Nederland could do something about it by pressuring the administration.  That is unless we've become so complaisant that we think mediocrity's the norm.  Or, that this HC was part of the recent success Nederland had and so people think that it can't be this HC as the problem.  So, then, it must the the kids.  Although kids never appear to be the problem at PNG.  Again, pressure is going to have to come from Ned's taxpayers.  Otherwise we'll be, again, sitting in the stands watching PNG have all the fun.  

Once again 75% of the taxpayers are part of the brotherhood in some way or form, so most of the pressure will not change anything. Get it down to 50% then there is a chance for some type of change. I believe Barrow earned his shot as head coach at Nederland, he checked all the boxes as a position coach, OC, leader the players looked up to & trusted. After 7 years of running the show a few cracks & dings have shown up in his armor with some good years & some bad. It's all not on him & the coaches a few factors have helped the down turn, but he is the top football dog in charge so he will get all the blame just like most head coaches do. Down turns happen to all high school sports programs, but the key is after back to back losing seasons can the current coaching staff at least bring the program back to the 11-3, 10-2, 9-4 days with 2nd to 4th round playoff runs every 2 to 4 years. If they can do that then they probably will have jobs coaching until they retire from NISD. If they get to a state championship game NISD will build golden statues of the coaching staff at the entrance to the stadium.😁

On a side note I am told Central Jr. High 8th Grade group just finished their 2nd undefeated season, dominating every team they played. So this might be the group mixed with some other grade levels that put Barrow back at the top of the district standings within the next 2 or 3 years.  

I understand that in high school football, some years you get a stronger talent pool than other years

The concerns I have the past 2 years are based on the leadership 

1.  I see a total lack of discipline.  In fact I would think that they lead the district in penalties, especially personal fouls

2.  The fundamentals are just poor.  This shows me that the majority of the coaches are not teaching fundamentals and technique well.  Examples- the offense averaged 7 points vs the good teams they played(offensive line was not coached well); the defense gave up an average of 39 points a game(they were slow, did not tackle well, and the secondary was non existent)

3.  Way too much whining and complaining to the officials by the coaching staff

In my opinion,  if they Keep Barrow, he needs to hire assistant coaches that coach

I know most of the players are trying, however as I have watched each game, probably due to how bad they have been these last 2 years, it just doesn’t appear that they are trying

Finally, I am afraid if they keep the current staff, the results will be the same next year, maybe 5 or 6 wins(according to who will be in the district)

20 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

Success at this level isn’t genetic. It’s not about just “having a good crop of boys this year.” It’s coached, created, engineered, taught.

Maybe in 5A. 4A is a different story. It’s a combination. Actually I think that applies to most 5A too. Gotta have the right tools in the tool belt or you ain’t building a house. 

22 minutes ago, NHSBulldogs2 said:

Eventually the program gonna fall apart, if they don’t realize the real problem.  He is one on the highest paid coach in the district.  At this point it’s all about the pay, and who cares about these kids, it’s just HS right?  I really feel bad for these young me who want to win and the coaches that could care less.   The school should do a survey and ask why you do not want to play sports for NISD, and have a unbiased person Talley the votes 80-90 percent will say it’s the person who coaches the sport.  But they not ready for that conversation.  

Clueless post. 

57 minutes ago, prepballfan said:

Whats weird is the same assistants flourished under Neuman. It’s not the assistants faults. Same guys been there for ever. 

When Delbert Spell retired lot of the defense struggles appeared.
David Crommett retired offense line struggles appeared.. 

From Neumann era to now lots of coaches have retired or moved to upper positions within the district. 
Pretty sad when a former varsity coach that no longer coaches saying a change is needed in the stands.. 

12 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

When Delbert Spell retired lot of the defense struggles appeared.
David Crommett retired offense line struggles appeared.. 

From Neumann era to now lots of coaches have retired or moved to upper positions within the district. 
Pretty sad when a former varsity coach that no longer coaches saying a change is needed in the stands.. 

I personally know a couple of coaches who were very successful under Nueman that are there. One in particular who is there and has been there his entire career. In the past I begged him to come to PNG but he refused. I know many local coaches that are not head coaches. Several from PNG, one at LCM, one at Vidor, one who used to coach at Orangefield. I also know a few HC's. One SC winner and a few others I talk to from time to time. My point is with a mixture of a new HC and a OC and DC you could fill out the rest of the staff with some who are good coaches and able to adapt. I am not calling for Monte to be let go. I do not live in Nederland and its not my right to make that call. However I am a big Nederland fan as my family and many friends and now their kiddos play there. Nederland is my second favorite team on SETX. When PNG plays out of town I go watch Nederland. PN-G hired a great young HC then a pair of great OC and DC. The rest is mostly the same coaches. The thing about the new PNG coaches is they all three played in SC games and won atleast one. They all coached on teams that made it to our won state. No game is to big for them because they lived it. This is something I learned after they arrived. The ability to make the kids believe that they can win each game. BUT only one game at a time. Can Nederland do this. YES THEY CAN. As someone posted above these kids play junior sports together. They play travelling sports together, Babe Ruth, travelling 7 on 7 together. Their is zero difference between the kids from the two schools. Mark my words, Nederland will be back. The problems for teams like the Indians and the Bulldogs is the building of new schools then making it a magnet schools and putting athletes from 12 different high schools into one school. This and the new so called transfer portal. The UIL needs to get a grip on this or we will turn into California and Florida were anything goes in high school football. I have a family member who lives in one of the schools who have won many SC's in the last say 5-10 years. I asked how a school like them kept it going. Her answer. We have 6 kids starting this year who just transferred in and were not on the team last year at all. Thats the real struggle for most single schools. We dont have transfers for the most part, we dont have 12 schools to pull all the best athletes from. They will put the top players in one school. The next best in another school and the third group in a third school. Then the other schools in the district are just the cellar dwellers of the district. Then the three better schools sweep the district of course because all the best players are in one place. The Dallas schools figured this out and thats how you end up with 15 D 1 players on a single team. PNG and Nederland are lucky to have a single player who is D1 much less power 5. The Indians have 3 D1 players on our team this year and 2 power 5 players. This maybe the most ever on a single team. Whatever happens in Nederland I wish you the very best. Whether its with Monte or someone else. Good luck Dogs. Id love to see Nederland, Dayton, WOS all back were they belong winning games. It makes SETX better. 

2 hours ago, prepballfan said:

I personally know a couple of coaches who were very successful under Nueman that are there. One in particular who is there and has been there his entire career. In the past I begged him to come to PNG but he refused. I know many local coaches that are not head coaches. Several from PNG, one at LCM, one at Vidor, one who used to coach at Orangefield. I also know a few HC's. One SC winner and a few others I talk to from time to time. My point is with a mixture of a new HC and a OC and DC you could fill out the rest of the staff with some who are good coaches and able to adapt. I am not calling for Monte to be let go. I do not live in Nederland and its not my right to make that call. However I am a big Nederland fan as my family and many friends and now their kiddos play there. Nederland is my second favorite team on SETX. When PNG plays out of town I go watch Nederland. PN-G hired a great young HC then a pair of great OC and DC. The rest is mostly the same coaches. The thing about the new PNG coaches is they all three played in SC games and won atleast one. They all coached on teams that made it to our won state. No game is to big for them because they lived it. This is something I learned after they arrived. The ability to make the kids believe that they can win each game. BUT only one game at a time. Can Nederland do this. YES THEY CAN. As someone posted above these kids play junior sports together. They play travelling sports together, Babe Ruth, travelling 7 on 7 together. Their is zero difference between the kids from the two schools. Mark my words, Nederland will be back. The problems for teams like the Indians and the Bulldogs is the building of new schools then making it a magnet schools and putting athletes from 12 different high schools into one school. This and the new so called transfer portal. The UIL needs to get a grip on this or we will turn into California and Florida were anything goes in high school football. I have a family member who lives in one of the schools who have won many SC's in the last say 5-10 years. I asked how a school like them kept it going. Her answer. We have 6 kids starting this year who just transferred in and were not on the team last year at all. Thats the real struggle for most single schools. We dont have transfers for the most part, we dont have 12 schools to pull all the best athletes from. They will put the top players in one school. The next best in another school and the third group in a third school. Then the other schools in the district are just the cellar dwellers of the district. Then the three better schools sweep the district of course because all the best players are in one place. The Dallas schools figured this out and thats how you end up with 15 D 1 players on a single team. PNG and Nederland are lucky to have a single player who is D1 much less power 5. The Indians have 3 D1 players on our team this year and 2 power 5 players. This maybe the most ever on a single team. Whatever happens in Nederland I wish you the very best. Whether its with Monte or someone else. Good luck Dogs. Id love to see Nederland, Dayton, WOS all back were they belong winning games. It makes SETX better. 

Honestly the biggest problem I see is the lack of size along the offensive and defensive line. The other things like technique and discipline can be corrected...we got pushed around bad the last 3 games of the year got to get those kids in the weight room this offseason

56 minutes ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

Honestly the biggest problem I see is the lack of size along the offensive and defensive line. The other things like technique and discipline can be corrected...we got pushed around bad the last 3 games of the year got to get those kids in the weight room this offseason

Perfectly great weight room at the HS and coaches doesn’t utilize it.. Neumann era kids had to workout before or after school. That is no longer is in effect… kids workout on their own time, and you know how that is going to go