1 hour ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

Newton.     WOS 

Total yards.   323.     532

Pass.              63.      199

Rush.             260.      333

1st downs.     19.        24

Penalties.     10-65.    9-122

Turner 7-19 199 4 td 1 int, 16 car-159 2 TD

Those stats are not accurate for Newton anyway I’ve seen the stats for the Newton who had just over 350 yards rushing. The QB and the freshman RB were each well over 100 yards each rushing 

1 hour ago, EaglesFootball said:

Those stats are not accurate for Newton anyway I’ve seen the stats for the Newton who had just over 350 yards rushing. The QB and the freshman RB were each well over 100 yards each rushing 

Its possible. That was from the guys in the booth at the end of the game. After Hickman said "we didn't hold up our end on defense  at all."

On 9/16/2023 at 3:11 PM, dj said:

And that's we all need to come together and be heard.and let them know this isn't acceptable.we expect more for our kids!!

Do you expect anything for your kids on an educational level? Why doesn't anyone come together and be heard about that. Historically, WOS has never been an educational powerhouse, but I guess that's ok.

Good Christ this is getting old...

53 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Do you expect anything for your kids on an educational level? Why doesn't anyone come together and be heard about that. Historically, WOS has never been an educational powerhouse, but I guess that's ok.

Not you too!!!. You know at all school there are under achiever  yet you guys never talk about that SMH. Let's see this is a football thread and maybe that is why his answers are related to football. Talking badly about the kids at WOS educational scores is and I quote "Good Christ this is getting old..." 😉

"

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

The education is out of the ADs control. But across all sports we are severely struggling. Since we don't have the education that is up to current standards. It makes it all more important for some of these kids to get an athletic scholarship. They need that as a way out. Unfortunately there are too many stories of kids that didn't get that opportunity and are still here. Even 2 from last years team that didn't make it thru the summer without catching a case. 

2 hours ago, ladybug33 said:

Not you too!!!. You know at all school there are under achiever  yet you guys never talk about that SMH. Let's see this is a football thread and maybe that is why his answers are related to football. Talking badly about the kids at WOS educational scores is and I quote "Good Christ this is getting old..." 😉

"

You’re right. It is a football thread. But dj is talking about how horrible this coach is for the kids. I’m merely saying there is much more than a bad coaching staff that’s harmful to all WOS students which includes WOS student athlete football players. Where is the upheaval about that? There isn’t any. And it’s shameful to hear everyone going on and on about running these guys out of town, but no one seems to show the same support for the education of these football boys. The battle for these kids isn’t won on the field, it’s won in the classroom. The kids aren’t the underachievers. It’s the people responsible for their education. They have given up on these kids’ educational success and preached athletics as a way out. That’s so backwards, I can’t even begin to comprehend it. It’s not like it’s a poor inner city Houston school. It’s in a well funded district with good kids and good people. I’m sorry I brought this up, but it’s been heavy on my mind. My son played flag football all the way into college. He’s an average student and has to work hard to get B’s and C’s. But I always told him, no grades, no sports. It drove him to work hard and get the grades. He got injured last year and no longer plays. I’m glad I laid his foundation in education and not in athletics. 

8 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

You’re right. It is a football thread. But dj is talking about how horrible this coach is for the kids. I’m merely saying there is much more than a bad coaching staff that’s harmful to all WOS students which includes WOS student athlete football players. Where is the upheaval about that? There isn’t any. And it’s shameful to hear everyone going on and on about running these guys out of town, but no one seems to show the same support for the education of these football boys. The battle for these kids isn’t won on the field, it’s won in the classroom. The kids aren’t the underachievers. It’s the people responsible for their education. They have given up on these kids’ educational success and preached athletics as a way out. That’s so backwards, I can’t even begin to comprehend it. It’s not like it’s a poor inner city Houston school. It’s in a well funded district with good kids and good people. I’m sorry I brought this up, but it’s been heavy on my mind. My son played flag football all the way into college. He’s an average student and has to work hard to get B’s and C’s. But I always told him, no grades, no sports. It drove him to work hard and get the grades. He got injured last year and no longer plays. I’m glad I laid his foundation in education and not in athletics. 

You make valid points. The problem is some of the same people who oversee the decision-making process within the district are the problem. I know that the head coach at WOS appears to be a friend of yours, personally I don’t know him. I knew the previous coaches at the school, and many in the community knew them too. I’m not sure how the decision was made to hire any coaches within WOS, but many were not happy about it. (They have the right to be like it or not). When people are asked to approve bond money, and pay taxes, they should have a say in what their tax dollars are paying for. Many people who have made comments about WOS business really have no idea of what needs to be done to fix the situation in my beloved hometown. They just make jabs because WOS is 90% African American.

The educational issues at WOS can only be dissected by the people who live there, not by outsiders. My niece finished at WOS in May will be 2 years, she got a partial scholarship to go to UT, hook em horns! She finished #5 in her class; she is still making A’s and will be a junior this coming December. There are others doing the dang thing at other D1 universities too. Part of the solution IMO to help cure most socially disadvantaged situations, in all of Orange is to re-build the community, talk and listen to the people who live there. Maybe then they will not be so openly upset about the hiring process of coaches. (GET)business opportunities, more jobs, just invest in the people who live in Orange.

1 hour ago, ladybug33 said:

You make valid points. The problem is some of the same people who oversee the decision-making process within the district are the problem. I know that the head coach at WOS appears to be a friend of yours, personally I don’t know him. I knew the previous coaches at the school, and many in the community knew them too. I’m not sure how the decision was made to hire any coaches within WOS, but many were not happy about it. (They have the right to be like it or not). When people are asked to approve bond money, and pay taxes, they should have a say in what their tax dollars are paying for. Many people who have made comments about WOS business really have no idea of what needs to be done to fix the situation in my beloved hometown. They just make jabs because WOS is 90% African American.

The educational issues at WOS can only be dissected by the people who live there, not by outsiders. My niece finished at WOS in May will be 2 years, she got a partial scholarship to go to UT, hook em horns! She finished #5 in her class; she is still making A’s and will be a junior this coming December. There are others doing the dang thing at other D1 universities too. Part of the solution IMO to help cure most socially disadvantaged situations, in all of Orange is to re-build the community, talk and listen to the people who live there. Maybe then they will not be so openly upset about the hiring process of coaches. (GET)business opportunities, more jobs, just invest in the people who live in Orange.

I respect your opinion and your enthusiasm for your community. I sincerely do. It's also good to hear about your niece. That's really awesome for her, although she and others like her are the exception rather than the rule at WOS. Instead of turning this into a diatribe of education and race and to preserve the privacy of the coach and others, I will finish my reply to you in a private message.

This is a sports site. So the issue we speak of here is not about As and Bs. But Xs and Os

No1 has ever said we are OK with the poor education the district has been facing for years. And believe me that ship sailed long ago. The education issues we face are similar to most minority schools. And if I could change that with one hire I would. 

Which leads me to the AD. One hire can make a huge difference. We've seen that over and over again with each passing week.

The hiring process of our current AD/HC that has been explained here numerous times, is a mirror image of the hiring thru out the district. Only this is a much higher profile situation that has been part of the public knowledge. If you understood that teachers are hired in the same manner, you'd be carrying the signs at the march to the admin building with us. But that won't happen because like you say, where's the outrage?

We don't agree with how he was put into this position without experience. Or any of the subsequent hires brought in under him. Exactly the same as teachers being brought in to fill the vacancies. No need for interviews to pick the best candidate. The super can simply make his choice. And if it doesn't work, like this current FB staff. Nothing changes. They continue to draw a paycheck like it's a government job with no accountability. Don't believe me? Ask anyone that has spent any time in our district. Or any parent that has moved their kids to a neighboring district and seen the major change in the students overall performance. I know too many that were doomed to ISS at WOS. And when changed to a better educational supported district, they thrived. Earning a HS diploma. In turn, WOCCISD has an open enrollment policy with no set of standards. We'll take any and all, with no requirements. Just show up and be counted so we can get our govt check. You know they pay based off attendance and not grades?

This is a microcosm of the overall health of our district. Academics and athletics are in need of total rehabilitation.

Best candidate should always be given opportunity. When that goes away, we are one step from total discrimination. How does one explain this to the kids looking for a way out of this so called dead town? You could've learned about this in school, but we decided to keep our staff even though they continually fail at teaching what you need to know.

My diatribe is over for now. But know that some of us here are quite serious about all this. Not just blowing smoke about wanting a certain race to be the only option to lead our kids. 

Another thought... yes it's scary that I've had 2 in the last 25 mins. 

This time about the online only ticket sales now at WOS. 

Right up there in the front of the nice new multi million dollar event center. There is a ticket booth. Really, why, how?

This is a perfect example of the disconnect between the admin and the community. I assume my tax dollars could have a bigger impact on all students if spent on new library books. Or a press box bigger than OF visitors stands? What about new tennis courts? Or even just turning the lights on for security during game night. Since they took away all the closest parking to the stadium. And there's not even a sidewalk to get to that area.

Hear how crazy that sounds? I'm complaing, sarcasticly, about walking thru the mud. When most students can't get a decent education.