SCOTUS slaps down Bidens deadbeat student loan scheme!

40 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Or a less qualified white person. Does that bother you?

Here’s the fact. You assume that a white person could have been less qualified and still get hired because of his/her skin color in the past. Affirmative Action guarantees that a less qualified candidate gets hired based on their skin color today. 

1 hour ago, Big girl said:

Or a less qualified white person. Does that bother you?

Yes, it does bother me. Give me the most qualified person.

Now, answer my question please:

I think that the selection process should be based solely on merit and never based on race…even if that means a white person is passed over by a more qualified minority. Do you agree?

2 hours ago, Big girl said:

It talks about myths regarding affirmative action

The myths are the claimed myths.

They draw no conclusions, only numbers.

As an example, the federal government. They probably have the most minority hiring program available. Yet, it appears as though only 14% of federal officers are female. The article claims that law enforcement, firefighters, etc., are proof of discrimination. I found a couple of different websites that said 10% of police applicants were female on one site and 15% on another. Having taken part in administering police examinations over about a 20 years, I would generally agree with those statistics.

So the article uses female officers as proof of a bias when in fact they simply aren’t applying. Even the federal government can’t seem to hire any more than the locals.

It is so easy to look at those numbers without looking for the cause. They simply jump straight to a bias.

On 7/7/2023 at 9:27 AM, SmashMouth said:

Yes, it does bother me. Give me the most qualified person.

Now, answer my question please:

I think that the selection process should be based solely on merit and never based on race…even if that means a white person is passed over by a more qualified minority. Do you agree?

Yep. Some people assume that unqualified whites are never hired over qualified minorities. They assume that it is always the minorities who are less qualified.(CardinalBacker)

12 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Yep. Some people assume that unqualified whites are never hired over qualified minorities. They assume that it is always the minorities who are less qualified.(CardinalBacker)

When are you going to admit that you’re not Big Girl? Says a lot about you.

20 hours ago, Big girl said:

In the past black people were completely ignored in the hiring process i some instances. And yes, it’s got to be true that sometimes lesser qualified white people have been hired over more qualified black people. In fact you can dumb it down and say that a LOT of times lesser qualified people OF ANY COLOR get hired over better qualified people OF ANY COLOR. There’s just no proof that it happens, how often it happens, or to who it happens to. HOWEVER, there is/was a government mandated plan (affirmative action) which guarantees that if both candidates are evenly matched, the minority gets the job over the white person. Even if the white person is better qualified, the black person still gets the job. And you’re okay with that because it benefits you, even though the idea of discrimination of any sort should be morally reprehensible to all of us, regardless if who it’s happening to. 

10 hours ago, Big girl said:

You are projecting. You have someone writing for you. I am a college graduate, I don't need assistance in that area.

I think it would do you some good to read this. 

I promised myself years ago, every time I saw this I would re-post. Rings true EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.... Here goes!!! 

Most people won't take the time to read this all the way to the end. I hope that you will. 👇

17 INCHES" - you will not regret reading this an excellent article to read from beginning to end. Twenty years ago, in Nashville, Tennessee, during the first week of January, 1996, more than 4,000 baseball coaches descended upon the Opryland Hotel for the 52nd annual ABCA's convention.

While I waited in line to register with the hotel staff, I heard other more veteran coaches rumbling about the lineup of speakers scheduled to present during the weekend.  One name kept resurfacing, always with the same sentiment — “John Scolinos is here? Oh, man, worth every penny of my airfare.”

Who is John Scolinos, I wondered.  No matter; I was just happy to be there.

In 1996, Coach Scolinos was 78 years old and five years retired from a college coaching career that began in 1948.  He shuffled to the stage to an impressive standing ovation, wearing dark polyester pants, a light blue shirt, and a string around his neck from which home plate hung — a full-sized, stark-white home plate.

Seriously, I wondered, who is this guy?  After speaking for twenty-five minutes, not once mentioning the prop hanging around his neck, Coach Scolinos appeared to notice the snickering among some of the coaches.  Even those who knew Coach Scolinos had to wonder exactly where he was going with this, or if he had simply forgotten about home plate since he’d gotten on stage.  Then, finally …

“You’re probably all wondering why I’m wearing home plate around my neck,” he said, his voice growing irascible.  I laughed along with the others, acknowledging the possibility.  “I may be old, but I’m not crazy.  The reason I stand before you today is to share with you baseball people what I’ve learned in my life, what I’ve learned about home plate in my 78 years.”  

Several hands went up when Scolinos asked how many Little League coaches were in the room.  “Do you know how wide home plate is in Little League?”

After a pause, someone offered, “Seventeen inches?”, more of a question than answer.

“That’s right,” he said.  “How about in Babe Ruth’s day?  Any Babe Ruth coaches in the house?” Another long pause.

“Seventeen inches?” a guess from another reluctant coach.
“That’s right,” said Scolinos.  “Now, how many high school coaches do we have in the room?”  Hundreds of hands shot up, as the pattern began to appear.  “How wide is home plate in high school baseball?”

“Seventeen inches,” they said, sounding more confident.
“You’re right!” Scolinos barked.  “And you college coaches, how wide is home plate in college?”

“Seventeen inches!” we said, in unison.
“Any Minor League coaches here?  How wide is home plate in pro ball?”............“Seventeen inches!”

“RIGHT!  And in the Major Leagues, how wide home plate is in the Major Leagues? “Seventeen inches!”

“SEV-EN-TEEN INCHES!” he confirmed, his voice bellowing off the walls.  “And what do they do with a Big League pitcher who can’t throw the ball over seventeen inches?”  Pause.  “They send him to Pocatello !” he hollered, drawing raucous laughter.  “What they don’t do is this: they don’t say, ‘Ah, that’s okay, Jimmy.  If you can’t hit a seventeen-inch target?  We’ll make it eighteen inches or nineteen inches.  We’ll make it twenty inches so you have a better chance of hitting it.  If you can’t hit that, let us know so we can make it wider still, say twenty-five inches.'”  

Pause.  “Coaches… what do we do when your best player shows up late to practice? or when our team rules forbid facial hair and a guy shows up unshaven?  What if he gets caught drinking?  Do we hold him accountable?  Or do we change the rules to fit him?  Do we widen home plate? "

The chuckles gradually faded as four thousand coaches grew quiet, the fog lifting as the old coach’s message began to unfold.  He turned the plate toward himself and, using a Sharpie, began to draw something.  When he turned it toward the crowd, point up, a house was revealed, complete with a freshly drawn door and two windows.  “This is the problem in our homes today.  With our marriages, with the way we parent our kids.  With our discipline.
We don’t teach accountability to our kids, and there is no consequence for failing to meet standards.  We just widen the plate!”

Pause.  Then, to the point at the top of the house he added a small American flag.  “This is the problem in our schools today.  The quality of our education is going downhill fast and teachers have been stripped of the tools they need to be successful, and to educate and discipline our young people.  We are allowing others to widen home plate!  Where is that getting us?”

Silence.  He replaced the flag with a Cross.  “And this is the problem in the Church, where powerful people in positions of authority have taken advantage of young children, only to have such an atrocity swept under the rug for years.  Our church leaders are widening home plate for themselves!  And we allow it.”

“And the same is true with our government.  Our so-called representatives make rules for us that don’t apply to themselves. They take bribes from lobbyists and foreign countries.  They no longer serve us.  And we allow them to widen home plate! We see our country falling into a dark abyss while we just watch.”

I was amazed.  At a baseball convention where I expected to learn something about curve balls and bunting and how to run better practices, I had learned something far more valuable. 
From an old man with home plate strung around his neck, I had learned something about life, about myself, about my own weaknesses and about my responsibilities as a leader.  I had to hold myself and others accountable to that which I knew to be right, lest our families, our faith, and our society continue down an undesirable path.

“If I am lucky,” Coach Scolinos concluded, “you will remember one thing from this old coach today.  It is this: "If we fail to hold ourselves to a higher standard, a standard of what we know to be right; if we fail to hold our spouses and our children to the same standards, if we are unwilling or unable to provide a consequence when they do not meet the standard; and if our schools & churches & our government fail to hold themselves accountable to those they serve, there is but one thing to look forward to …”

With that, he held home plate in front of his chest, turned it around, and revealed its dark black backside, “…We have dark days ahead!.”

Note: Coach Scolinos died in 2009 at the age of 91, but not before touching the lives of hundreds of players and coaches, including mine.  Meeting him at my first ABCA convention kept me returning year after year, looking for similar wisdom and inspiration from other coaches.  He is the best clinic speaker the ABCA has ever known because he was so much more than a baseball coach.  His message was clear: “Coaches, keep your players—no matter how good they are—your own children, your churches, your government, and most of all, keep yourself at seventeen inches."

And this my friends is what our country has become and what is wrong with it today, and now go out there and fix it!

"Don't widen the plate."

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

In the past black people were completely ignored in the hiring process i some instances. And yes, it’s got to be true that sometimes lesser qualified white people have been hired over more qualified black people. In fact you can dumb it down and say that a LOT of times lesser qualified people OF ANY COLOR get hired over better qualified people OF ANY COLOR. There’s just no proof that it happens, how often it happens, or to who it happens to. HOWEVER, there is/was a government mandated plan (affirmative action) which guarantees that if both candidates are evenly matched, the minority gets the job over the white person. Even if the white person is better qualified, the black person still gets the job. And you’re okay with that because it benefits you, even though the idea of discrimination of any sort should be morally reprehensible to all of us, regardless if who it’s happening to. 

If that is the case, why is the unemployment rate for blacks higher than the rate for whites?

2 hours ago, Big girl said:

If that is the case, why is the unemployment rate for blacks higher than the rate for whites?

I can think of a dozen reasons, and racism isn’t in the top ten. These are legitimate concerns come hiring time, and for the most part they apply to ALL applicants regardless of race…. Unfortunately these issues pop up more in some communities. 

For instance, an applicant might get passed over if his/her speaking patterns lack professionalism. if they have previous felony convictions. If they failed a pre-employment drug screening (marijuana). If a candidate lacks all of the necessary educational credentials. The candidate might not own all of the tools required for skilled work. If a candidate has poor credit history they would be considered a bad fiduciary agent for company. If a candidate has a poor work attendance history-absenteeism, tardiness. If the applicant is worried about losing benefits if they get a job. Single moms with kids have a harder time finding jobs that have a schedule that works around childcare. 

Add to that the likelihood that you will face a wrongful termination lawsuit if you have to let a black person go, what would you do as a business owner?

I can only tell you from experience and what I’ve seen. I lived and worked in Port Arthur. Our crews tended to be very diverse… black, Asian, white, Hispanic all represented. It was hot, tiring work, didn’t pay as well as plant work. We’d pretty much hire anybody that could fog a mirror.  The fact is that when most guys swung by and got an application, they’d fill it out and bring it back… and they’d respond for an interview…. Black dudes not so much. I’d guess that 1 out of 20 would bring the app back (and they’d typically get hired). But most then would never bring the app back- they were just making contact for their unemployment benefits/parole/probation. It was kind of a running joke.  They’d swing by with coordinated shoes/shirt/ballcap and some jewelry and you’d know that they were just making the rounds. 

Port Arthur would love to hire black cops… they get no applicants. The plants like to hire black people… qualified black people is the problem. 

But it’s not true to say “racism” is the reason that the black employment rate is lower than others. Yelling “racism” is just as dumb as yelling “cause they’re all lazy.”

On 7/8/2023 at 10:22 AM, Big girl said:

On 7/7/2023 at 9:27 AM, SmashMouth said:

By saying "Yep", does that mean that you agree that the selection process should be based solely on merit and never based on race…

On 7/9/2023 at 2:47 PM, CardinalBacker said:

I can think of a dozen reasons, and racism isn’t in the top ten. These are legitimate concerns come hiring time, and for the most part they apply to ALL applicants regardless of race…. Unfortunately these issues pop up more in some communities. 

For instance, an applicant might get passed over if his/her speaking patterns lack professionalism. if they have previous felony convictions. If they failed a pre-employment drug screening (marijuana). If a candidate lacks all of the necessary educational credentials. The candidate might not own all of the tools required for skilled work. If a candidate has poor credit history they would be considered a bad fiduciary agent for company. If a candidate has a poor work attendance history-absenteeism, tardiness. If the applicant is worried about losing benefits if they get a job. Single moms with kids have a harder time finding jobs that have a schedule that works around childcare. 

Add to that the likelihood that you will face a wrongful termination lawsuit if you have to let a black person go, what would you do as a business owner?

I can only tell you from experience and what I’ve seen. I lived and worked in Port Arthur. Our crews tended to be very diverse… black, Asian, white, Hispanic all represented. It was hot, tiring work, didn’t pay as well as plant work. We’d pretty much hire anybody that could fog a mirror.  The fact is that when most guys swung by and got an application, they’d fill it out and bring it back… and they’d respond for an interview…. Black dudes not so much. I’d guess that 1 out of 20 would bring the app back (and they’d typically get hired). But most then would never bring the app back- they were just making contact for their unemployment benefits/parole/probation. It was kind of a running joke.  They’d swing by with coordinated shoes/shirt/ballcap and some jewelry and you’d know that they were just making the rounds. 

Port Arthur would love to hire black cops… they get no applicants. The plants like to hire black people… qualified black people is the problem. 

But it’s not true to say “racism” is the reason that the black employment rate is lower than others. Yelling “racism” is just as dumb as yelling “cause they’re all lazy.”

So sad. You base everything on stereotypes, and a couple of people that you know.

3 minutes ago, Big girl said:

So sad. You base everything on stereotypes, and a couple of people that you know.

So sad.  You go through life screaming racism at every turn.  It’s what you’ve been told your whole life, so it’s no wonder that’s the way you think.  How do you support biden?  After all he held former KKK leader, Robert Byrd, in high esteem.  Seems to contradict your line of thinking.

14 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

So sad.  You go through life screaming racism at every turn.  It’s what you’ve been told your whole life, so it’s no wonder that’s the way you think.  How do you support biden?  After all he held former KKK leader, Robert Byrd, in high esteem.  Seems to contradict your line of thinking.

After Robert Byrd changed his life and viewpoint. How do you support the Proud Boys?

2 minutes ago, Big girl said:

After Robert Byrd changed his life and viewpoint. How do you support the Proud Boys?

I do not.  Never faintly hinted at that.  You pulled that one straight out your big arse!!  Everything changes with you.  The Democrats, who by the way, created the KKK, are now the Republicans.  And now the the exalted leader, Byrd, changed his ways.  He probably had his hand in some hangings back in the day, but you are ok with that?  A little two-faced if you ask me.  Again, where did you come up with me supporting the Proud Boys?  You can’t!

16 minutes ago, Big girl said:

No, he didn't, it was simply a political move that he knew would fool democrat voters.

This is the man, Robert Byrd:

Byrd started his political life as an Exalted Cyclops in the Ku Klux Klan. In 1944, Byrd wrote the following in a letter to Senator Theodore Bilbo: "I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side ... Rather I should die a thousand times and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds." Byrd filibustered the 1964 Civil Rights Act for 14 hours.

There are folks in life worth defending, this racist isn't one of them.

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

No, he didn't, it was simply a political move that he knew would fool democrat voters.

This is the man, Robert Byrd:

Byrd started his political life as an Exalted Cyclops in the Ku Klux Klan. In 1944, Byrd wrote the following in a letter to Senator Theodore Bilbo: "I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side ... Rather I should die a thousand times and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds." Byrd filibustered the 1964 Civil Rights Act for 14 hours.

There are folks in life worth defending, this racist isn't one of them.

Big girl says he was a changed man🙄

20 minutes ago, BS Wildcats said:

Big girl says he was a changed man🙄

I have no problem with someone changing but it strangely seems to be a one way street.

So this guy Byrd wasn’t just on the fringe of racism, he was a leader and a major recruiter. But heck, what was in the past doesn’t matter. You know, he is different now. 

So I looked at Wikipedia, hardly known for its conservative spin. It showed that he filibustered the Civil Rights Bill of 1964. Byrd started renouncing his views on segregation in the 1970s. Then “by the early 2000s, he had completely renounced racism and segregation”. Yes that is a quote.

Ancient history? The 1964 Civil Rights Act? In the 1970s decided that segregation was wrong? Not long before his death in 2010, he had completely renounced racism. 

Apparently any transgressions more that 10 years ago don’t count, you know, that is past history.

Well, unless you are from the other side of the aisle…. Then it goes back 160 years.

So do we count the past or only selectively? 

5 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I have no problem with someone changing but it strangely seems to be a one way street.

So this guy Byrd wasn’t just on the fringe of racism, he was a leader and a major recruiter. But heck, what was in the past doesn’t matter. You know, he is different now. 

So I looked at Wikipedia, hardly known for its conservative spin. It showed that he filibustered the Civil Rights Bill of 1964. Byrd started renouncing his views on segregation in the 1970s. Then “by the early 2000s, he had completely renounced racism and segregation”. Yes that is a quote.

Ancient history? The 1964 Civil Rights Act? In the 1970s decided that segregation was wrong? Not long before his death in 2010, he had completely renounced racism. 

Apparently any transgressions more that 10 years ago don’t count, you know, that is past history.

Well, unless you are from the other side of the aisle…. Then it goes back 160 years.

So do we count the past or only selectively? 

Selectively!  Trump has been accused of racism over not renting to blacks.  I believe this occurred in the 70’s, yet he was labeled a racist by big girl and the rest of the Dems.  Black unemployment was at some of its lowest levels ever during his presidency.  But, he is still labeled a racist for what might have happened in the past.