Speaker of the House - Vote Today

Bobcat1

47 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

I disagree - The hardline Republicans are going to hold the chamber hostage - Just like we're seeing now.

Not only that, but Democrats are going to use all of this for ads against Republicans in future elections which will almost guarantee a Democrat take of over the House, Senate, and Presidency in 2024.  

I am not a fan of one party having control of all three.  

Hold them hostage from what...massive spending?

This is the hidden content, please

What a superior party they are, we should strive to be like them.

From the article:

President Biden and other prominent Democrats, as well as White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, have fumed over individuals who question or deny the legitimacy of elections, referring to them at times as "extremists" and threats to democracy.

But Jeffries, who was first elected to Congress in 2012 and now has widespread support among members in his party, has a history of displaying the very behavior that many in the Democratic Party now accuse their opposition of.

In multiple tweets, ranging from June 2017 to January 2018, Jeffries seemingly refused to acknowledge Donald Trump as the rightful winner of the 2016 presidential election.

"Climate Change is NOT a hoax. But 45's election may have been," Jeffries wrote in a June 2017 tweet, nearly five months after Trump entered the White House.

13 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you'd only need five more votes to Jeffries and he'd be the Speaker, right?

I'm just saying... there's more than one way to end the gridlock.

If they were to offer Gatez the gavel to the House Armed Services Committee - I wonder if he'd change his tune. 

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

The Republican Party isn't a party.. It's a group of people who are held hostage by the whims of the most extreme members of their unit.  That's why the Democratic Party is superior to the Republican Party, as bad as it pains me to say it.  

Democrats wanted the ACA?  They had the votes and got it passed.  The Repubs promised to repeal and replace, and they had the votes... but they couldn't get it done.  It's a party full of people who are only looking out for their own desires and interests, and they have no ability to come together and do what needs to be done.  Once 19 of these 20 get on the same page, you'll have a few defectors who recognize their own new-found importance and demand that even MORE stringent demands are met.  

The Republicans just look like a bunch of clowns who can't even agree on a leader, much less do anything to further conservative issues in the House.  It's an embarrassment.  I'm with you... they'll lose the House in '24 if they don't get this done, now.  America is watching a bunch of dudes that can't even work with each other, much less across the aisle... and that's what most Americans who aren't hardened partisans wants to see happen.  

How refreshing to be comprehended.  Proof positive that ideological differences and logic can coexist.

25 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you'd only need five more votes to Jeffries and he'd be the Speaker, right?

I'm just saying... there's more than one way to end the gridlock.

I believe you’re right. Talk about making history! 

“We’re not empowering certain members over others,” McCarthy said. “Last night I was presented the only way to have 218 votes was if I provided certain members with certain positions, certain gavels, to take over certain committees and have certain budgets.

“And they even came to the position where one, Matt Gaetz, said, ‘I don’t care if we go to plurality and we elect Hakeem Jeffries, and it hurts the new frontline members not to get re-elected.’”

But Gaetz denied McCarthy’s account of their conversation.

“As usual, he’s lying,” Gaetz told Florida via direct message. He also shared a 

article on colleagues of McCarthy previously scolding him for dishonesty.

2 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

“We’re not empowering certain members over others,” McCarthy said. “Last night I was presented the only way to have 218 votes was if I provided certain members with certain positions, certain gavels, to take over certain committees and have certain budgets.

“And they even came to the position where one, Matt Gaetz, said, ‘I don’t care if we go to plurality and we elect Hakeem Jeffries, and it hurts the new frontline members not to get re-elected.’”

But Gaetz denied McCarthy’s account of their conversation.

“As usual, he’s lying,” Gaetz told Florida via direct message. He also shared a 

article on colleagues of McCarthy previously scolding him for dishonesty.

Surely you don't believe McCarthy, right, because earler you said this about him, and I quote:

"I'm not complaing, but I do think McCarthy needs to step down. He's too weak to be Speaker -At this point, he's sold his soul to anyone who would vote for him, he has nothing else to compromise."

3 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

According to some:

Election deniers on the Republican side 👎

Election deniers on the democrat side   👍

True story

I don't know what he was refrencing, but it was stupid. Trump won the Electoral vote. 

Just now, LumRaiderFan said:

Surely you don't believe McCarthy, right, because earler you said this about him, and I quote:

"I'm not complaing, but I do think McCarthy needs to step down. He's too weak to be Speaker -At this point, he's sold his soul to anyone who would vote for him, he has nothing else to compromise."

No, I was refrencing Regan's post about principals when I posted a news source that Gaetz wanted the gavel of the HASC and he would vote for McCarthy. 

15 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

So then you could agree that this is not about principal? 

I honestly don't know the motive here, he may be thinking if you're going to be speaker (most likely) then I don't want you putting a moderate Republican over the committee.

There are a handful of folks of there that are sick and tired of the status quo.

This will get done, maybe not in 1-2 days, but it will get done.

I'm kinda enjoying the liberal/media/moderate reaction to this as if they are truly concerned for the Republican party.