6A #6 Beaumont United 93 4A #3 Silsbee 63/FINAL

Good to see Weston ‘Big Baby’ Davis back from injury with the emphatic putback to end the game!

I think we handled Silsbee’s game plan fine.  They wanted to deny Dotson and Yates the ball.  Either that or quick doubles.  Glad to know we have others that stepped up.  I’m still not liking the silly turnovers, but I LOVED the good free throw shooting.  Still a ways to go before we are ready for this state title run again.  

As far as Silsbee goes, the team will be fine when the football kids get a few more games under their belt.  But I was impressed with Silsbee’s main guy doing some great things in the first half then he basically disappeared in the second half.  I just don’t understand that. The team needs you in these big games.  But I’m confident that he’ll be ready in the next big game.

11 minutes ago, STiger85 said:

Can BU get it done in 6A? They didn't look to shabby tonight. Can't wait for Silsbee to get their basketball legs and timing down. Only three misses from the FT line, BU with 1 and Silsbee with 2, CRAZY, Good luck BU. Lets good Tigers, all season. TigerNation!!!

It’s gonna be tough but I think United and Silsbee could win the region and return to San Antonio… silsbee biggest threat booker T Washington and united could be summer creek and atascocita 

Man that gym was packed last night. Standing room only on the Tigers side. Not a place to be if you're claustrophobic. Of course I wake up sick this morning, but it was worth it I guess.

Tigers will be fine eventually. They looked rough last night. Some of that had to do with who they were playing The other half needs to start improving and getting better pronto. I didn't see Boulwen play either to go along with Williams or Harper.

I think BU could have won 5A again this year. It's a shame they got moved up to 6A by only a few kids. They still got a chance, but 6A is a completely different beast.

Watching their JV play it looks like they got a bunch of little point guards who can shoot the ball really well. Not sure if they got any good big kids on the rise or not yet.

1 hour ago, Tigers94 said:

Man that gym was packed last night. Standing room only on the Tigers side. Not a place to be if you're claustrophobic. Of course I wake up sick this morning, but it was worth it I guess.

Tigers will be fine eventually. They looked rough last night. Some of that had to do with who they were playing The other half needs to start improving and getting better pronto. I didn't see Boulwen play either to go along with Williams or Harper.

I think BU could have won 5A again this year. It's a shame they got moved up to 6A by only a few kids. They still got a chance, but 6A is a completely different beast.

Watching their JV play it looks like they got a bunch of little point guards who can shoot the ball really well. Not sure if they got any good big kids on the rise or not yet.

That Silsbee freshman team look really good. Started off a little slow but then they got it together. Salty little team straight ballen. 

16 hours ago, STiger85 said:

Can BU get it done in 6A? They didn't look to shabby tonight. Can't wait for Silsbee to get their basketball legs and timing down. Only three misses from the FT line, BU with 1 and Silsbee with 2, CRAZY, Good luck BU. Lets go Tigers, all season. TigerNation!!!

it honestly depends on what your definition of "get it done" means. Will they have a good record, and win a few playoff games?  Do they have a decent chance of winning district?  Yes.  So if that's what you're asking, then yeah.  Does getting it done mean they win state again?  That's highly unlikely.  They're still a very good team, but 6A is a different animal.  BU's 9-1 record is good, but half their games have come against 4A squads, who they haven't exactly been dominating.  I think they'll drop a few district games against 6A opponents this year. As a whole they're still better than most of the 6A schools in the state, and I'm hoping for another deep run from them, but I don't see them beating whatever team comes out of the Dallas area in the playoffs, if they make it that far.  

3 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

it honestly depends on what your definition of "get it done" means. Will they have a good record, and win a few playoff games?  Do they have a decent chance of winning district?  Yes.  So if that's what you're asking, then yeah.  Does getting it done mean they win state again?  That's highly unlikely.  They're still a very good team, but 6A is a different animal.  BU's 9-1 record is good, but half their games have come against 4A squads.  I think they'll drop a few district games against 6A opponents this year. As a whole they're still better than most of the 6A schools in the state, and I'm hoping for another deep run from them, but I don't see them beating whatever team comes out of the Dallas area in the playoffs, if they make it that far.  

Two of United's biggest threat in the region is two teams that are in their district, #3 Summer Creek and #21 Atascocita.

Other teams that BU will have to contend with in the region are #4 FB Elkins, #13 Pearland Dawson, #14 Katy Seven Lakes, #15 Cypress Creek and a good Dickinson team.

I agree, had they stayed in 5A BU would have only two, maybe three teams in the region to contend with in order to get to San Antonio.

13 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

it honestly depends on what your definition of "get it done" means. Will they have a good record, and win a few playoff games?  Do they have a decent chance of winning district?  Yes.  So if that's what you're asking, then yeah.  Does getting it done mean they win state again?  That's highly unlikely.  They're still a very good team, but 6A is a different animal.  BU's 9-1 record is good, but half their games have come against 4A squads, who they haven't exactly been dominating.  I think they'll drop a few district games against 6A opponents this year. As a whole they're still better than most of the 6A schools in the state, and I'm hoping for another deep run from them, but I don't see them beating whatever team comes out of the Dallas area in the playoffs, if they make it that far.  

I see a state tournament appearance.  Now what happens after that, I don’t know.  We still need to get a lot better rebounding and help defense.  But we can play with any 6a team.  We have two national tournaments coming up.  That will tell me everything I need to know.  

4 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

That sounds like a good assessment.  But the coaches think they have a shot ranking them at No. 6.  And they sure looked good last night. 

As a side note, one of those 4A teams United played was Washington and the Timberwolves lost that one.  And they lost it at home.  Hmmm.  As a Tiger fan it gives one pause.

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Two of United's biggest threat in the region is two teams that are in their district, #3 Summer Creek and #21 Atascocita.

Other teams that BU will have to contend with in the region are #4 FB Elkins, #13 Pearland Dawson, #14 Katy Seven Lakes, #15 Cypress Creek and a good Dickinson team.

I agree, had they stayed in 5A BU would have only two, maybe three teams in the region to contend with in order to get to San Antonio.

Nothing but truths here…

1 minute ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I see a state tournament appearance.  Now what happens after that, I don’t know.  We still need to get a lot better rebounding and help defense.  But we can play with any 6a team.  We have two national tournaments coming up.  That will tell me everything I need to know.  

I'm hoping for one, but BU played a bunch of squeakers in the playoffs last year.  4 of their last 5 playoff wins were by less than 5 points, including that 3OT luckout against GCM.  Their opponents are going to be much harder this year from the 3rd round on than they were last year.  

Just now, JimThorpe said:

That sounds like a good assessment.  But the coaches think they have a shot ranking them at No. 6.  And they sure looked good last night. 

As a side note, one of those 4A teams United played was Washington and the Timberwolves lost that one.  And they lost it at home.  Hmmm.  As a Tiger fan it gives one pause.

That Washington game , I don’t want to remember that.  But we did beat a really good Carter team for whatever it’s worth.

8 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

They also beat 4A Carter by 4. Yes, Carter is #1 in 4A, but I think the #6 team in 6A should wipe the floor with them.  United beat the #2 5A team by 7, and if this was 5A again this year, I'd give them a very good shot at returning to state.  I just don't know about that with all of the quality 6A teams in their region that @AggiesAreWe mentioned above.

Tigers get no relief later this week as they will be playing in the Cypress Hoops tournament. Silsbee will be the only 4A team in the tournament which is dominated by 6A schools and a couple of 5A teams.

Silsbee starts off against 6A Cypress Lakes and if they win that one would likely face 6A Dickinson in the next round. 6A Shadow Creek and 6A #20 South Grand Prairie are also in Silsbee's bracket grouping. Other ranked teams in this tourney are 6A #3 Summer Creek, 6A #15 Cy Creek, 6A #18 Denton Guyer and 6A #25 Harker Heights. 24 team field with 21 of them 6A teams and two 5A.

If Silsbee were to go 2-2 in this tourney I would call that a success.

They follow that tournament up with a trip next Tuesday to 5A #9 Lufkin.

Coach Sigler with his normal gauntlet of a schedule for these Tigers.

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Tigers get no relief later this week as they will be playing in the Cypress Hoops tournament. Silsbee will be the only 4A team in the tournament which is dominated by 6A schools and a couple of 5A teams.

Silsbee starts off against 6A Cypress Lakes and if they win that one would likely face 6A Dickinson in the next round. 6A Shadow Creek and 6A #20 South Grand Prairie are also in Silsbee's bracket grouping. Other ranked teams in this tourney are 6A #3 Summer Creek, 6A #15 Cy Creek, 6A #18 Denton Guyer and 6A #25 Harker Heights. 24 team field with 21 of them 6A teams and two 5A.

If Silsbee were to go 2-2 in this tourney I would call that a success.

They follow that tournament up with a trip next Tuesday to 5A #9 Lufkin.

Coach Sigler with his normal gauntlet of a schedule for these Tigers.

He sets the standard for players to reach by doing this in which produces the success he and silsbee has had.

39 minutes ago, 5GallonBucket said:

He sets the standard for players to reach by doing this in which produces the success he and silsbee has had.

100% agree. On a year to year basis, no area coach schedules tougher than Joe. He has no problem with Silsbee having a record with 8 or more losses as long as it prepares them for another state title run.

The only drawback to have that many losses is when they do the seeding at state tournament. But you have to play the best eventually.

26 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

100% agree. On a year to year basis, no area coach schedules tougher than Joe. He has no problem with Silsbee having a record with 8 or more losses as long as it prepares them for another state title run.

The only drawback to have that many losses is when they do the seeding at state tournament. But you have to play the best eventually.

And I disagree with that.  It should be region 4 vs 3 and 1 vs 2 in the semifinals, then the winner plays each other for the title…. 

Silsbee could be looking at 5-12 record to start district..I dont see them losing a game in district. Forgot what tourney they play during Christmas. All in all the tough schedule is good by me. I remember some years back maybe 2010 Silsbee was the #1 team in 3A (now 4A) and player in the Woodville tournament..😂😂

1 minute ago, BADSANTA said:

Silsbee could be looking at 5-12 record to start district..I dont see them losing a game in district. Forgot what tourney they play during Christmas. All in all the tough schedule is good by me. I remember some years back maybe 2010 Silsbee was the #1 team in 3A (now 4A) and player in the Woodville tournament..😂😂

Silsbee is going to King Cotton Invitational tourney in Arkansas Dec. 27-29