PNG Apparel

CCRed

7 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

How many of their were American Indians? Exactly...

Honestly, the whole thing is silly to me, but it sure provides for some interesting conversation.

Yeah, that point doesn’t carry as much weight as you think it does.

This is the hidden content, please

5 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Not with the Navajo, I guess. The Cherokee have a different story. 

Not as different as you think. Look up the mascot of the high school the Cherokee Nation runs in Tahlequah.

Now here’s a question for you. Chief Hoskins runs all around the country telling people Indians aren’t high school mascots, but won’t change the Indian mascot at the one high school he actually directly controls. Why do you think that is?

1 hour ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Not as different as you think. Look up the mascot of the high school the Cherokee Nation runs in Tahlequah.

Now here’s a question for you. Chief Hoskins runs all around the country telling people Indians aren’t high school mascots, but won’t change the Indian mascot at the one high school he actually directly controls. Why do you think that is?

Because in his eyes, Indians acting like Indians is ok. Teenage white kids playing dress up is different altogether in his eyes. 

25 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Because in his eyes, Indians acting like Indians is ok. Teenage white kids playing dress up is different altogether in his eyes. 

So you think Chief Hoskins embraces a race-based double standard? Interesting theory.

Here's the reality. It's politically untenable for him to change the mascot. Most Cherokee citizens support the mascot, and if you do a little googling, you'll find articles indicating as much. Much like PN-G, the lion's share of the locals, students and alumni up there love their mascot. Remember, Oklahoma is staunchly conservative, Republican territory. The average Cherokee voter's views are very similar to the average white Oklahoman's. By and in large, they don't take issue with Indian mascots any more than your average Republican. Believe me, I know. My quarter-Cherokee great grandfather lived out the rest of his days up there after he couldn't find work in Texas. Though he never sought citizenship, he frequently travelled the Nation to talk with friends who were Cherokee citizens and participate in Cherokee events. My father spent his summers up there through high school. I went as a kid.

Now, new question. If Hoskins can't go after the Indian mascot at the school he runs because his people like the Indian mascot, why's he so focused on a high school hundreds of miles away in Texas that most of those citizens don't even know exist?

6 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

So you think Chief Hoskins embraces a race-based double standard? Interesting theory.

Here's the reality. It's politically untenable for him to change the mascot. Most Cherokee citizens support the mascot, and if you do a little googling, you'll find articles indicating as much. Much like PN-G, the lion's share of the locals, students and alumni up there love their mascot. Remember, Oklahoma is staunchly conservative, Republican territory. The average Cherokee voter's views are very similar to the average white Oklahoman's. By and in large, they don't take issue with Indian mascot any more than your average Republican. Believe me, I know. My quarter-Cherokee great grandfather moved up there after he couldn't find work in Texas. Though he never sought citizenship, he frequently travelled the Nation to talk with friends who were Cherokee citizens and participate in Cherokee events.

Now, new question. If Hoskins can't go after the Indian mascot at the school he runs because his people like the Indian mascot, why's he so focused on a high school hundreds of miles away in Texas that most of those citizens don't even know exist?

The answer is in the post you quoted. Actual Indians going to a school with an Indian mascot, and participating in their Indian traditions is ok. But white people doing those same things is not ok in their eyes, which is understandable to me (a white person). 

Just now, BEARCPA said:

The answer is in the post you quoted. Actual Indians going to a school with an Indian mascot, and participating in their Indian traditions is ok. But white people doing those same things is not ok in their eyes, which is understandable to me (a white person). 

No it's not, but glad to know you, too, embrace race-based double standards.

I'll wait for SmashMouth to give an answer before we get into what's really going on.

19 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Here's the reality. It's politically untenable for him to change the mascot. Most Cherokee citizens support the mascot, and if you do a little googling, you'll find articles indicating as much. Much like PN-G, the lion's share of the locals, students and alumni up there love their mascot. Remember, Oklahoma is staunchly conservative, Republican territory. The average Cherokee voter's views are very similar to the average white Oklahoman's. By and in large, they don't take issue with Indian mascots any more than your average Republican. Believe me, I know. My quarter-Cherokee great grandfather lived out the rest of his days up there after he couldn't find work in Texas. Though he never sought citizenship, he frequently travelled the Nation to talk with friends who were Cherokee citizens and participate in Cherokee events. My father spent his summers up there through high school. I went as a kid.

Because, like I said, for them, it’s an issue of cultural appropriation. Plain and simple. I have the solution which I will share after a bit of back and forth. 

Just now, SmashMouth said:

Because, like I said, for them, it’s an issue of cultural appropriation. 

Yes, because contrary to the notions of cultural exchange which were the hallmark of the diversity movement for more than half a century in this country, culture is suddenly property and anyone of a race other than the culture's own adopting its customs or practices is now stealing. Makes total sense.

Let's get to the real answer.

Hoskins has higher ambitions than being a Cherokee principal chief, and the Biden administration is the first one to come along that might fulfill them. He's playing to an audience, and it's neither his own voters nor Southeast Texas.

• 3 weeks later...

The insanity continues & spreads.  Indiana HS condemned for Indian mascot.  Perhaps Indians were not the brave fierce warriors we’ve all been told.  These Woke folks indicate Indians were peace loving, LGBT admirers.  Wonder what Sitting Bull, Geronimo and Crazy Horse would think of that?

Seriously, imagine a group of these Woke folks walking into an Apache village in 1835.  The results would be X Rated for violence.