Disney World Releases Statement Critical Of PNG’s Orlando Performance!

tvc184

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I feel some kind of way to even entertain this asinine  comparison, especially since you and I both know there’s a huge difference between a culture of people vs. animals.  

Is that all people or just Indians?

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

The png folk justified using the mascot, the fight song , ect that the previous Chief gave the blessing.  However, the current Chief showed his displeasure and non approval for it, but it’s a different situation now since it does not fit their narrative.  All based on tradition.  They e been doing it so long that it must be right, RIGHT?  Horrible logic.

It isn’t my logic. I would never justify the team name Indians because a chief gave the name and said they could do so.

If the justification of the mascot is a letter from a Cherokee Chief in 1980, yes that is flawed logic. It is flawed because they were not named the Indians in 1980 and they needed no approval. In truth decades after a team mascot was created, an Indian Chief came along and said, hey I like it. 

Some people opposing the name are using a current Cherokee Chief as not liking it. Is that based on the fact that Indians is derogatory or that a previous Cherokee Chief gave a letter of agreement, so the current one withdrew it? Let’s assume the current chief changes his mind or is replaced by another. PNG then gets a letter of approval saying that we made a mistake, now we appreciate the portrayal of Indians. Does that all of a sudden end this is controversy?

If it does not, then why even bring up the current Chief’s opinion. 

There is a high school team in Texas named the Cherokees and another name the Comanches. Can you imagine that the Cherokees played the Comanches? Oh my gosh!!! Those teams did not use a generic term for a group of people, Indians. They actually used the name of Indian tribes that still exist today. Did they get permission?

It seems like much of this ado comes from a letter sent by an Indian chief. So if the first chief never came along in 1980, would this controversy even exist?

So yes I agree it is flawed logic to use what a Cherokee chief said 40 years ago but if that is true, is it also flawed to worry about what one says today?

45 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Alright.  Selective comprehension at its best.  But it’s cool.  I’ll continue this debate with someone more intellectually capable.

Seems you are the only one with your stance, which should give an intellectually capable person, such as yourself, at least a hint that they could possibly be wrong. 

12 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

And on a side note, I’m glad that the Washington post and Forbes have both picked this story up.  Then along with Disney and TMZ seems to be calling this racist.  Getting major traction now.  Like I said before, interested to see how that halftime performance looks in the fall…

What is racist? Is it the name or is it the phrase scalp ‘em?

If it is the phrase scalp ‘em, can they simply remove that from their tradition and we can all have a group hug? Now the can their traditional cheer be… “I N D I A N S, Beat ‘em Indians,  eat ‘em!!”

Palo Duro HS in Amarillo has the mascot Dons. Dons in Spanish meaning head of the household (how sexist!) and the way it was used, like a member of royalty in the Mexican culture. Did anybody in Mexico give that school permission to use the term Don? Strange (maybe) is that their yearbook is called Conquistador.

The Conquistadors were from Spain and conquered the Native Americans in South America (wiping out some tribes) but it was the Mexican dons that defeated them to create a free Mexico. So a HS in Texas celebrates a group of Spanish that invaded and wiped out indigenous Native Americans by naming their yearbook Conquistador. Then they name their mascot after the people that beat the Conquistadors but who were the descendants from them, the people that invaded, dominated, wiped out and  in some cases likely enslaved some Native Americans.

Not to distinguish between degrees of outrage but what is more offensive? A team that uses the generic term Indian and celebrates it as an honorable culture or a team that celebrates a group of people that wiped out some Indians?

34 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

It isn’t my logic. I would never justify the team name Indians because a chief gave the name and said they could do so.

If the justification of the mascot is a letter from a Cherokee Chief in 1980, yes that is flawed logic. It is flawed because they were not named the Indians in 1980 and they needed no approval. In truth decades after a team mascot was created, an Indian Chief came along and said, hey I like it. 

Some people opposing the name are using a current Cherokee Chief as not liking it. Is that based on the fact that Indians is derogatory or that a previous Cherokee Chief gave a letter of agreement, so the current one withdrew it? Let’s assume the current chief changes his mind or is replaced by another. PNG then gets a letter of approval saying that we made a mistake, now we appreciate the portrayal of Indians. Does that all of a sudden end this is controversy?

If it does not, then why even bring up the current Chief’s opinion. 

There is a high school team in Texas named the Cherokees and another name the Comanches. Can you imagine that the Cherokees played the Comanches? Oh my gosh!!! Those teams did not use a generic term for a group of people, Indians. They actually used the name of Indian tribes that still exist today. Did they get permission?

It seems like much of this ado comes from a letter sent by an Indian chief. So if the first chief never came along in 1980, would this controversy even exist?

So yes I agree it is flawed logic to use what a Cherokee chief said 40 years ago but if that is true, is it also flawed to worry about what one says today?

Y’all (detractors) come up with anything to justify this.  I understand your logic, but in my opinion, it’s a weak one.  

30 minutes ago, baddog said:

Seems you are the only one with your stance, which should give an intellectually capable person, such as yourself, at least a hint that they could possibly be wrong. 

I’m the only one with this stance here.  Because we all know all we have to do is look on the politics forum and see what the majority is.  So judging the majority and minority here is a bad justification.  

33 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

What is racist? Is it the name or is it the phrase scalp ‘em?

If it is the phrase scalp ‘em, can they simply remove that from their tradition and we can all have a group hug? Now the can their traditional cheer be… “I N D I A N S, Beat ‘em Indians,  eat ‘em!!”

That’s their thought on it.  You can see by reading their articles…

26 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Y’all (detractors) come up with anything to justify this.  I understand your logic, but in my opinion, it’s a weak one.  

It is somewhat comical that you use the word detractors toward PNG supporters. It is the people who are criticizing PNG who are the detractors, not the other way around. 

4 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Before I answer that question…

Do you feel offended when they run Reveille X out at football games for your beloved A&M, or would you not care either way?  Just adding extra even though this has nothing to do with our topic, how do you feel about the A&M folks removing her vocal cords so that she can’t bark?  Now I personally am offended with that…. 🤷🏾‍♂️

I'm not offended at all. I'm good with animal team mascots. Don't have a problem with Indian mascot as well.

And you are completely wrong about removing Reveille vocal cords. I have personally heard her bark many times. Just this past season I witnessed it at game and on campus.

Not sure who or where you got that from.

10 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I'm not offended at all. I'm good with animal team mascots. Don't have a problem with Indian mascot as well.

And you are completely wrong about removing Reveille vocal cords. I have personally heard her bark many times. Just this past season I witnessed it at game and on campus.

Not sure who or where you got that from.

Maybe the previous one.  Maybe IX or a previous one.  But I know they do not want her to bark and remove vocal cords.  Information comes from a daughter that just graduated from there this past winter.  

1 minute ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Maybe the previous one.  Maybe IX or a previous one.  But I know they do not want her to bark and remove vocal cords.  Information comes from a daughter that just graduated from there this past winter.  

No Reveille has ever had their vocal cords removed. Ever.

Your daughter is wrong.