West Orange Stark at Silsbee

BADSANTA

3 hours ago, ST413 said:

Let the game get taken over by the big guys..and didnt shoot very well.   

How big are these big guys?  Vidor was pretty much a match for them inside last Tuesday and Orangefield was more than a match Friday.  Is there something particularly bad about this matchup for Silsbee?

50 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

How big are these big guys?  Vidor was pretty much a match for them inside last Tuesday and Orangefield was more than a match Friday.  Is there something particularly bad about this matchup for Silsbee?

Not sure exactly about 6’6 to 6’8 i believe.  WOS matches our athleticism and always plays us like a bitter rivalry.  That night we got beat badly on the boards gave up way too many second chamce baskets and shot poorly.  Like was said earlier tonight we could beat them by 25 or if we let them dictate the game it could be a struggle once again! 

5 hours ago, ST413 said:

Not sure exactly about 6’6 to 6’8 i believe.  WOS matches our athleticism and always plays us like a bitter rivalry.  That night we got beat badly on the boards gave up way too many second chamce baskets and shot poorly.  Like was said earlier tonight we could beat them by 25 or if we let them dictate the game it could be a struggle once again! 

Agreed.  They are probably going to be the 4th place team but easily the “toughest” matchup for Silsbee (tough being relative, agree could easily have a 20+ point margin of victory).  They are honestly the only team that has the athleticism to “hoop” with Silsbee.  LCM does to an extent but honestly their athleticism isn’t very deep.  I think it’s a testament to the difference in “effort” WOS gives against Silsbee vs other teams.  And that’s almost always been the knock on WOS basketball.  Athletic but undisciplined.  Flashes of being very good but highly inconsistent.

29 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Agreed.  They are probably going to be the 4th place team but easily the “toughest” matchup for Silsbee (tough being relative, agree could easily have a 20+ point margin of victory).  They are honestly the only team that has the athleticism to “hoop” with Silsbee.  LCM does to an extent but honestly their athleticism isn’t very deep.  I think it’s a testament to the difference in “effort” WOS gives against Silsbee vs other teams.  And that’s almost always been the knock on WOS basketball.  Athletic but undisciplined.  Flashes of being very good but highly inconsistent.

How does this not transfer over from football to basketball?

coach?

no football players playing basketball?

Whatever the matchups the Tigers need to dominate this game.  Looking around the statewide 4A landscape WOS is 2nd tier skill wise and not unusually tall and not unusually athletic.  If whatever the Mustangs are is a real problem for Silsbee then the Tigers have no business being ranked No. 2.  So my assumption is that the first game was an anomaly that will be corrected tonight.  It should be a comfortable win, 25 points.  

38 minutes ago, JimThorpe said:

Whatever the matchups the Tigers need to dominate this game.  Looking around the statewide 4A landscape WOS is 2nd tier skill wise and not unusually tall and not unusually athletic.  If whatever the Mustangs are is a real problem for Silsbee then the Tigers have no business being ranked No. 2.  So my assumption is that the first game was an anomaly that will be corrected tonight.  It should be a comfortable win, 25 points.  

Two kids 6-6 or 6-7 would qualify as quite unusually tall, especially at the 4A level.  And I would wager WOS is upper echelon athletically, again at the 4A level. 

In fact, this is as close as Silsbee will get to simulating the Booker T length (which judging from the first matchup against the Stangs is a little concerning).  Only imagine if the 6-7 and 6-8 kids are as at LEAST as skilled as Silsbee’s best two players.  Hopefully depth will be key.  

5 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

How does this not transfer over from football to basketball?

coach?

no football players playing basketball?

Cornel Thompson doesn’t coach basketball.  You would think some of it would carry over.  And maybe it does.  But with the exception of an outlier year hear and there, the WOS football excellence has not translated to the hardwood. 

And I’m not being critical of any of the coaches.  They have had some good ones over the year.  But when you have 40 years or so of a sport being coached by hall of famers (Hooks and Thompson), it would be hard to match that in any of the other sports. 

1 minute ago, Tigers94 said:

Matchups and a hated rivalry can be a weird thing.

Would like to see the Tigers pull away in this one though. 

Only team that can sorta match Silsbee in athletes besides WOS is LCM and thats mainly just two kids. Wouldn't be surprised if their main player doesn't get a few offers to play somewhere.

^
And this. 

47 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Cornel Thompson doesn’t coach basketball.  You would think some of it would carry over.  And maybe it does.  But with the exception of an outlier year hear and there, the WOS football excellence has not translated to the hardwood. 

And I’m not being critical of any of the coaches.  They have had some good ones over the year.  But when you have 40 years or so of a sport being coached by hall of famers (Hooks and Thompson), it would be hard to match that in any of the other sports. 

So I take it the bball coach doesn’t coach football nor any of the past basketball coaches or if they did then they didn’t carry over the same expectations as far as character to the hardwood, if there is a history of undisciplined basketball

and I’m generally speaking here about their bball program….I’m sure they had a team or two that were disciplined thru out the years

4 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

Booker T and WOS are the same size but Lewis and McDermott are Allstate players. Remember Silsbee has played teams this size and won this year. Washington goes 6 deep and that will be a major problem in the playoffs for them. Has Lewis nad McDermott alway been at Booker T? 

Yes.  Lewis is a junior and McDermott a sophomore. 

6 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

So I take it the bball coach doesn’t coach football nor any of the past basketball coaches or if they did then they didn’t carry over the same expectations as far as character to the hardwood, if there is a history of undisciplined basketball

and I’m generally speaking here about their bball program….I’m sure they had a team or two that were disciplined thru out the years

Pretty much as you state.