Silsbee 71 Lumberton 39/FINAL

2 hours ago, Packedhouse01 said:

Mitchell basically said his players aren’t athletes and can’t compete. AD needs to take a serious look at a new coach. 

I’ve been critical about Mitchell for some stuff he’s done, but he’s helped make lumberton somewhat relevant, which they haven’t been pretty much ever.  It doesn’t take a brilliant basketball mind to know that his players aren’t athletic enough or good enough to compete with Silsbee this year.

7 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

I bet it did.  I'm not going to second guess Mitchell.  His job is not to provide happy carefree entrainment for us Tiger fans.  His job isn't to make us like him or even to make us "respect" him.  His job is to try to find a way to give his kids their best shot at winning against a better, stronger, faster team.  Shortening the game is one way to do that.

THIS!!!!

Reason why I am against a shot clock. Allow a coach to coach his team in the best way to win a game.

8 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

I bet it did.  I'm not going to second guess Mitchell.  His job is not to provide happy carefree entrainment for us Tiger fans.  His job isn't to make us like him or even to make us "respect" him.  His job is to try to find a way to give his kids their best shot at winning against a better, stronger, faster team.  Shortening the game is one way to do that.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

THIS!!!!

Reason why I am against a shot clock. Allow a coach to coach his team in the best way to win a game.

That would be ok but not egging on the Tiger fans while your team is stalking the ball.  I know we have some over the top fans but an opposing coach shouldn’t be on the court motioning our fans to get louder or interacting with them…

2 hours ago, DXTR said:

Curious what type of stall he did? 

Had one kid stand near the baseline and hold the ball, while his four teammates surrounded him. 

Then you just stand there for a whole quarter if you can.

It's trash basketball if you can even call it basketball. You literally just choose to stand there and not play.

5 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

Had one kid stand near the baseline and hold the ball, while his four teammates surrounded him. 

Then you just stand there for a whole quarter if you can.

It's trash basketball if you can even call it basketball. You literally just choose to stand there and not play.

Yeah. That’s a little much. 

As a coach you do what you have to do to win games . If a coach thinks he has a plan to slow down a high powered offense and a very athletic team then you do what you have to do . I watched Lumberton in the 80s run 4 corners against Lincoln when I was in high school . Lincoln had 2 big time division 1 players that went to Texas and Oklahoma . Lumberton lost like 26-18 and it was the only way they could compete so it is what it is . Congrats to silsbee and let’s move in . 

In the late 90’s Coach Hand took a very young Huntington team to Woodville who was state ranked. He spread the floor the entire first half. Woodville never came out to challenge the ball and Huntington won that game 5-3. The best and worst coaching jobs I ever heard of and they were both the same game. You do what you gotta do. 

6 hours ago, DXTR said:

Couldn’t the defense just stand close enough to get a 5 second call

No they formed a line right up against the sideline and arching to it on both ends. When the ref counted they handed the ball to the next player.  We reached over and got one foul and then got a jump ball.  I guess the way we could have forced them out of it was send our player out of bounds to touch the ball and force an inbounds play.

6 hours ago, ST413 said:

That would be ok but not egging on the Tiger fans while your team is stalking the ball.  I know we have some over the top fans but an opposing coach shouldn’t be on the court motioning our fans to get louder or interacting with them…

If done with good intentions, let them have fun with each other. 

11 hours ago, Who That said:

Silsbee took care of what they had to do. This win pretty much are did clinch Silsbee the district championship ..! 🤗😁🐅🏀

That's a fact.  They composed themselves and adapted.  It was weird at first and they were somewhat at a loss as most of us were.  But they solved the ball holding thing making it too costly for Lumberton and they only tried it once or twice in the 3rd.  

This kind of thing may come up again and the experience gained here will help them be ready for it.  So you're not going to score 100.  Your not even going to score 80.  But when you run up a 31 point lead before the coaches pull the plug it ain't bad.